LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008   #1

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 139 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Red face An abbreviated install log of my own car :)

well, its acutally been a few weeks since i finished the installation on my own car, but with the crazy work schedule, i havent had any chance to organize the pics i took and upload them.

With the G35 out of the way, i finally got a chance to sit down, relax a bit, and comb through the pics and start to put together an install log. One thing that immediately became apparent was that i am apparently much less patient at taking pics of my own car's install than the last time around haha, as a result, this is going to be a pretty abbreviated install log, compared to many similar logs posted by other DIyers.

so anyway, lets get started...

Goals:

1. achieve a decent level of sound quality (than previous system)

2. keep everything hidden completely under the floor

3. throw in aspects of my skillset into the install so i can demonstrated to potential clients what certain things can look like (i.e. wiring neatly through grommits, routed plexi, led edge lit plexi, etc etc)
-------------------------

okay, i guess before i go into the install, a little bit about the vehicle?

its a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5GT wagon...with some mods. here is a list and the most recent pics of i have of it:

KN intake
Cobb Pulley
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin TMIC
760cc injectors
Walbro pump
aquamist methanol injection
18G turbo at 20psi w/meth
flex UP
Cobb DP
Crucial P/P exhusat manifold
BC Racing BR coilovers
Tranny Cooler
crossdrilled/slotted rotors
magnaflow exhuast with porsche 911 style tips
20 Tint
AEM UEGO wideband
autometer boost guage
accessport with custom tdc/harmann map
GFB BOV at 50/50
Kosei K3 18x7.5
General Exclaim 225 40 18
Debadged with L7 badge ont he back i made
mesh grille
cleared headlights
4500 HIDs
engine cover and bracket delete
urathane control arm bushings
two large cracks in the windshield curtesey of cali highways lol
all told about 400hp/450tq at crank, 300-325 awhp depending on mustang or dynoject

may have mised a few things here and there

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #2

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 139 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

Default Re: An abbreviated install log of my own car :)

okay...onto the audio portion. before i dive into the current install, a quick revisit to the previous install. which was extremely simple. pioneer avic-z1 to a single DLS A5 3 channel amp, whcih powered a set of DLS nobeliums in kicks upfront, and a single idmax10 in the back, with an audiocontrol DQT providing the tuning. the car sounded okay in a normal sense, but paled terribly when compared to the SQ systems people were building. Coupled with the fact that more and more clients seem to be interested in going in that direction, i figured it was finally time to ditch the old and build something a little bit more proper...

so here was the old cargo area set up:

as you can see, a single idmax10, the A5 amp, and two passive xovers took up the entire space.

so...this is where the challengs for the new install began...this time, in the SAME space, i needed to fit roughly TWICE the stuff, if not more

and here are the big pieces thats going into the back:

so...lets take stock:

IDQ10 sub
DLS A4 4 channel amp (bridged for midbass)
DLS A5 3 channel amp (tweets, and subwoofer)
Zapco DSp6-SL processor

and add to that:

.75-.8 cubfeet sub enclosure
two D-blocks on display
two barrier strips on display
a slew of edge lit plexi borders....etc...

so all that in this space...and have to look decent (though cosmetics was never the driving factor in this setup)

so quite the headache then, setting this limitation on myself...you may wonder why? well...i guess i will let the pictures do the talking. This is my car on a weekly or bi-weekly basis:

infact, this is a light load normally, there would be a few more sheets of wood and carpet in there.

so this is why my install in the back must not take up ANY space other than the spare tire well

okay...this is about as far as i am gonna get tonite before passing out and going to bed...will try to get some more stuff typed up tommorow...

before i go, rounding out my equipment list is a Rockford Fosgate 8250Ti headunit and Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" two way set

aight off to bed...

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-20-2008   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 brendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enoughbrendan 67 will become famous soon enough

Looking foward to the rest of the build.I always like seeing your work.

67 CAMARO
ECLIPSE DLS IMAGE DYNAMICS
brendan 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Wizard

12V Company:
Melbourne's Acoustic Garage
Position:
Owner / Installer

Rep Power: 85 FrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enough

I must follow this!..
I also have a wagon (Holden (Opel) Astra) and have just redone my install..

Was going to keep as much space as I could, but that plan went out the window in the end..

Looking forward to the next installment!

Mark

Our SQ Competition Honda Civic

2011 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
2012 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
FrankstonCarAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 Blazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enough

What's the gas mileage average with mods? Clean motor and love the Porsche 911 style tips.

Alpine / Soundstream / Hybrid Audio / Stereo Integrity
"...many women are just plain crazy ass drivers anyway, might as well toss em in a drift car and let em go at it."
Blazemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 ehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ehiunno

subscribed
ehiunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 880 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

I love sleepers
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #8
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 dozy_production is on a distinguished roaddozy_production is on a distinguished roaddozy_production is on a distinguished roaddozy_production is on a distinguished roaddozy_production is on a distinguished road

After all the money into the car to make it go faster why would you want to add weight to it to make it that much slower?
dozy_production is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 ehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enoughehiunno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ehiunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozy_production View Post
After all the money into the car to make it go faster why would you want to add weight to it to make it that much slower?
Because now it goes faster and sounds great
ehiunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 880 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I always wonder that, especially all the Evo's with bumpin systemz. Maybe it's removable for "track day"
Old 06-20-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 112 fredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enough

think of it this way, you have a car you like the performance on, but you really want a nice audio system......how do I have the same performance when I add all that weight...... upgrade the performance

Quote:
fredridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to circa40

I can't wait until the build begins
circa40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #13

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

lol...i am not as hardcore into performance as you may think, virtually all my power mods were done via trade with a performance shop (i did a stereo in one of their cars and they did stuff on mine) hehe

see, my way of thinking is totally different, i see the car modding hobby as a whole, as a COMPROMISE, its always a compromise...and the goal is to make the best compromise possible so the car is osmething i end up enjoy.

so my goal is to have a car thats pretty fast and have a good system and can haul lots of stuff, as far as adding weight to slow the car down, umm...thats not relaly a factor now is it?

taking away the heavy full size spare i had, the tools and all the other stuff in the spare tire well, i would guestimate that weight gained by this system is somehwere around 40-50 lbs total...that translates to about 3 horsepower guys...you get more difference with a hot day or a slightly crappy gas plus, the weight is towards the back of my car, whcih if i was really anal, i can argue that it helps my weight distribution

i expected the guys on like the Evo or 350z forum to have this sentiment, but didnt think i'd hear it on diyma I am surprised no one said "why did you do all the power mods to a wagon, if you wanted to go fast should have started with a faster, lighter car"...

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-20-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
i expected the guys on like the Evo or 350z forum to have this sentiment, but didnt think i'd hear it on diyma I am surprised no one said "why did you do all the power mods to a wagon, if you wanted to go fast should have started with a faster, lighter car"...
Because people here understand the need for a vehicle for utilitarian purposes
Old 06-20-2008   #15

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

okay, got some more time...

lets move to te headunit portion.

Becuase the legacy GT has a one piece circuit board with AC and stereo, its very difficult and expesnive to try and install a headunit into the stock location. IN addition, i intend to leave the stock system completely intact (as before), so i can provide A/B demo to potential clients if needed.

so the other solution is to mount the headunit in the stock cubby spot in the upper/center dash, between the AV vents...

so firstly, the wires needed for the new headunit, along with an antenna adapter, was extended to the upper cubby spot, i used female/male quick disconnects for easy removal and service of the new headunit:

next here is the Denford's wiring harness organized and protected:

what you see on the left is the stock ac/vent cubby piece, with the cubby removed, and on the right is the JDM AVO singl din dash adapter piece that allows a headunit to be fitted, it needs to be trimmed a bit and parts of the dash structures needs to be cut off, but its a great solution for the legacy GT.

here are the two pieces mated together:

here of course, is the unit itself:

and the rcas all bundled up and protected, as i will not be using them. the unit has simblink style balanced Din outputs, that i will be tapping directly into to connect with the DSP6.

here are hte brackets for the AVO kit attached to the unit:

remote wire techflexed and ready to go:

the simblink cable similarly done:

all the wires lead out to the spot and ready to mount headunit:

and the headunit secured with all the wires attahced:

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-20-2008   #16

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

here are an assortment of other wires that are techflexed for running to the back of the car:

and a few quick shots of the wiring as it goes to the back of hte car:

okay, gonna do some more work, try to post some more when i get back

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-20-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Blends No. 27

12V Company:
Hi_Fidelity
Position:
Lead Installer

Rep Power: 119 Vestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enoughVestax will become famous soon enough

I like how the parliaments and bic is nearby when you need it.

USUC World Champion - Stock System Class. Super Street Division. Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw.
Vestax's Install
Vestax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 99 dogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A modest stereo like Bing is installing weighs less than one cute chickie, what's the worry about 50-100 pounds on a 3400 pound wagon?

Bing, as always, waiting to see the finished result, I'm sure it'll be sweet.
dogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 99 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Simplicity in sound....looks like I'll be doing something similar unless Highline comes out with a dash HAC unit solution before I buy my LGT. Lookin good so far.

Tell me, do they still make the LGT wagon? I cant seem to find specs on new ones....
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #20

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

hey B where did you get the exhaust tips I need those on my xB

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
jayhawkblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 93 BlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enough

Very nice... I love shaggin wagons!!! I still miss my '97 Accord Wagon! I'm tuned in, waiting for more pics!

07 Acura TL Type S
Mosconi 6 to 8 * Illusion Audio Carbon C6 * Illusion Audio Electra E6 * JL Audio 12w6v3 * JL Audio HD600/4 *JL Audio HD900/5
BlueAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 99 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

^I'll bet it's a fast ass wagon that can probably run 12's
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #23

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

highline does make a double din adapter, but at over 1000 bucks a pop, it seems a bit too much for me, plus i am just doing a signle din anyway and having it up high seems a bit more sensible

no, the LGT wagon version was dropped from the subaru line up for 07 only made in 06 and 05 iwth the EJ25 motor

marquies, i cnat remember, some website who sold techart or something like that, i can try digging it up, its been almost 3 years with them on there...

b

Facebook
Website
Yelp
Old 06-20-2008   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 openhelix will become famous soon enoughopenhelix will become famous soon enoughopenhelix will become famous soon enoughopenhelix will become famous soon enoughopenhelix will become famous soon enoughopenhelix will become famous soon enough

that looks great! do you run/work at a shop or just do this for fun?
openhelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #25

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

i run my own custom audio install business see the link in my sig.

the car should run high 12s, but the biggest issues is that with the mods, the car's tranny doenst react fast enough in first gear full acceleration and hits the rev limiter, we then removed the first gear rev limiter but guess hwat, it still revs too fast and it hits hte fuel cutoff so that means i have to manually using hte steering wheel buttons to shift if i were to do a full run, and i dont think i can get it right a lot, so most likely, i will run low to mid 13s for the majority of the time and maybe once in a blue moon, when i shift perfectly, it will dip into the high 12s hehe

Facebook
Website
Yelp