Comments are welcome! Edit: BTW this is my first full install. Been doing HU/subs for years but this is my first install with FG and all this stuff from scratch. I REAL learning experience. I claim to be no expert for sure!!!
Alright guys, So I've been on Talkaudio for quite a while, finally started coming here and am enjoying it. Done some Build logs over there, thought Id share it with you guys who may actually see it one day. System details, although my friends and GF say the Car will die before I ever finish the install since it changes way to much....
Currently as follows:
HU: Pie-in-eer Premier DEH-P860MP (have Alpine 7996 waitin to be hooked up to a H700 one day
Front Stage: 3 year old CDT HD62 components, also CDT HD M6+ Midbass
Substage's (plural): For SQ and everyday usage I run a CDT ES 1200SQ (currently a SS "Velvet Hammer" for kicks and giggles. FOr SPL and basshead days I run JBL P1220DII beasts.
Not even touched yet is the trunklid which will have a pair of JBL GTI components for when at shows for display.
Front stage: MMats LM2125 for HD62's
Midbass: JBL P600.2
SQ Sub: JBL P600.2 (Bridged)
SPL Subs: JBL GTO1201.1
Trunklid Comps: JBL P300.4
Cables, batts, etc,
Cables:mostly Stinger. Also 50Ft of 1/0 welding cable for battery runs.
Batteries: Currently 1, future 2 Kinetic 2000's for the system. And a Batcap 800 to run the car.
RCA's: Custom made by me.
System Goals: I am an concert audio engineer....hence alot of JBL stuff... but first and foremost...the system must move me. I mean it must absolutely rock...I listen to everything. Metal and hard rock are my first love. I also love rap...hence the big ol JBL subs...I also listen to classical and love Jazz..in a long road trip with me..you will here it all. My system must do it all. 90% of the time the SQ subs can handle it...occasionally I need extra bowl movement help...jk...I turn off the SQ sub and turn on the SPL subs. First my system must move me....after that..but not second in priorities it must be clean...clean...clean...done. After that staging and all that other SQ stuff...check. So on to the pics and descriptions of how I think I am accomplishing this....
First the front stage and most noticeable the doors.
My Car comes with no Power anything..so to fit the M6+ midbasses I needed to remove the window crank and convert my windows to Power windows....
On that note...there are many (read 4) layers of Dynamat and 1 layer of SS Overkill pro on those doors. 1 on the outside panel. 1 on the inside of the inside panel (follow) and 2 in the outside of the inside panel with the SS over that. That is the black foam you see on that above picture. Once that was done. I covered the whole door in painters tape (no pics) then light spray of
3m #77 adhesive and a layer of aly foil. THen a couple of layers of Fiberglass.
Now that pic shows the fiberglass mold of the door once skeleton framing has been added..or the start of the framing. Once I pried off the mold of the door, duh, framing was added. Lots of it. ALot of time was spend on the Speaker rings and aiming those with rods and hot glue. As you can see before I got too far I added and resined fleece around the front driver just to make sure it was right. The square in the middle was originally for the JBL GTI comps which were going into the door with the CDT's. CDT's for SQ and JBL's for just rocking. Once I realized the CDT's do a fine job of both...I found the M6+ midbass around the same time and wanted to keep it brand coherent and the little M6+ are so badass. So the GTI crossover was scrapped but the sqaure for it was already there. Plus thats also a bolt point for the door panel. (I think I'll be putting a "tube preamp" in there for a pretty light show.) Anywhoo, as you may or may not be able to see from the picture....the whole door panel is the enclosure for the midbass driver. All of the cross braces that braces both the flat top (front part of the door that faces you) and ties the back panel to the front have holes drilled in them to be open as possible. The enclosure goes from the bottom of the door all the way up to the top of the door, albeit only about 2 inches thick at that point. Once all the bracing was done (and there was alot more than shown in the pictures. Plus many flat peices of MDF to make up the flat portion of the doors (armrest area, bottom back section) Fleece was stretched over the entire skeleton to give the relative shape. Lots of FG etc..Then stupid amounts of body filler and such. Which brings me to this point.
You can see that I used Body filler to make a line that follows the curve right above the driver. This is where the top half of the cabinet which will be leather grained vinyl will be tucked and where the bottom half, paint will start. I needed to make a groove to tuck the vinyl into so it would flow seamlessly to the paint. Hopefully this will work. Fingers crossed.
At the back of the door you can see where the new handle is. I had to make a insert for this since the vinyl will tuck into this pocket, this insert will hold it there and look seamless...this was a bitch to make...