LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008   #1

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Rep Power: 72 BenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enough

Default Rebuilding My Audi A4

After having a competition audio system in my Audi A4 for about 4 years, I've decided it is time for a refresh. There are some parts of the system that I love, and some parts that have driven me nuts. And then to top it off, I blew a couple of the caps in my ancient Phoenix Gold MS Series amps. So instead of patching the system together, the decision was to redo the majority of the system but remain competitive in the classes that the car competes in.

Since my family moved recently, taking it back to Benchmark Audio in Upstate NY wasn't practical. It went from a 6 hour drive to a 15 hour drive, which just isn't going to happen.

So after looking at a ton of shops, the decision was made to take the car to Acoustic Images in Mooresville, NC. The crew at AI employs a number of veteran competitors including Bryan Wilkinson, Jason Syner, Mark Worell and other well known industry installers.

I also got a little help from some great manufacturers: JL Audio, Second Skin and AudioControl have all helped out with the project. We will be covering each of those sponsor's products usage in the rebuilt system.

The goals of the system were pretty easy:

Run the
  • front stage 100% Active, getting rid of the Alpine F#1 Passive Crossover Networks
  • Install New Subwoofers
  • Replace Existing Sound Dampening Materials
Over the next couple of weeks we'll post up pictures of the trunk being redone, the kicks and doors being rebuilt, and some general rebuilding of the car. It's going to be quite a process, but I'm really looking forward to the results. Stay tuned!

Last edited by BenVollmer; 12-15-2008 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Fixing Pics
BenVollmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Rep Power: 72 BenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enoughBenVollmer will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rebuilding My Audi A4

Here are some pictures of the system before it was changed:

Head Unit

Head Unit Before Being Installed

Head Unit Installed

Driver's Side Kick

Pass Side Kick

Trunk

Door Before the 7" Driver went in

Behind the Back Seat

Trunk with Beauty Panel's Installed
Old 12-15-2008   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 Blown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enough

That car is fricking sweet!!!!!!!!
Blown Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #4

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 0 syd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enoughsyd-monster will become famous soon enough

nice! and your going to change that??!
Are the PG amps staying?
syd-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #5

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Mustang GT View Post
That car is fricking sweet!!!!!!!!
Yeah. The guy who ran the wires in my first install was a genius. Good to see you Tom!
Old 12-16-2008   #6

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd-monster View Post
nice! and your going to change that??!
Are the PG amps staying?
We are. The new system will include a pair of the F#1 Tweets, a Pair of F#1 5" Mid Range Drivers and 7" Mid bass Drivers.

We will also be removing all of the Dynamat from the car. We are replacing that with Second Skin Damplifier Pro.

And the PG 10" Subs never could get low enough or loud enough for me. So a pair of 12TW5's are being put in the car.

And to make it all much more fun, I have a small collection of MS Series amps that PG powder coated to match. So Dr. Fosgate is repairing all of the caps on the blown amps and checking them all out. We are increasing the number of amps from 4 to 6. It will include: MS275x3 MS2125x2 and MS2250x1...

My hope is that the car will be as loud as can be. I have a competition car now and this will be my daily driver.
Old 12-16-2008   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVollmer View Post
We are. The new system will include a pair of the F#1 Tweets, a Pair of F#1 5" Mid Range Drivers and 7" Mid bass Drivers.

We will also be removing all of the Dynamat from the car. We are replacing that with Second Skin Damplifier Pro.

And the PG 10" Subs never could get low enough or loud enough for me. So a pair of 12TW5's are being put in the car.

And to make it all much more fun, I have a small collection of MS Series amps that PG powder coated to match. So Dr. Fosgate is repairing all of the caps on the blown amps and checking them all out. We are increasing the number of amps from 4 to 6. It will include: MS275x3 MS2125x2 and MS2250x1...

My hope is that the car will be as loud as can be. I have a competition car now and this will be my daily driver.
Why remove the dynamat at all, you better off to layer the damplifier on top of it imo. Also is that exposed metal face that the deck is mounted permanent or are you going to be making some sort of insert for it? It just looks very unfinished imo and does match the rest of the dash at all.
Thrill_House is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill_House View Post
Why remove the dynamat at all, you better off to layer the damplifier on top of it imo. Also is that exposed metal face that the deck is mounted permanent or are you going to be making some sort of insert for it? It just looks very unfinished imo and does match the rest of the dash at all.

Removing the Dynamat is 100% personal. While it wouldn't hurt to leave it in, I do not want it in the car. If it means burning the car, that is cool. Just I want Dynamic Control's product ALL out of the car.

The metal around the deck matches the metal around the speakers. It was part of the theme.... If you look around the speakers you will see the same metal. I don't like it in pics, but it actually look spretty good in person. It is actually finished, but the finish is clear.
Old 12-17-2008   #9

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Innovative Audio & Styling
Position:
Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 78 It_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to It_Hertz

wicked old MS PG amps FTW. I loved those amps. I think second only to my old pro mos PPI's

looking forward to see the new build Ben you can bring it out to Denver for some shows! LOL

Bryan Piper--Innovative Audio & Styling--
Top 100 Installer 2010-2011 & 2011-2012
It_Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #10
req
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 122 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

if i were you, i would stay away from the alpine F#1 stuff and get real scanspeak drivers. unless you are getting a dealer discount or something, the only difference between the two is alpine had tympany coat the cones and the price was hiked up.

but thats just me. the f#1 9990 stuff is nuts. wish i could use it. me and my lowly dvi-9861 and pxa-h701 lol.

looks clean though. real clean.
req is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #11
req
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 122 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

what is up with the double posts ive been getting.

sorry.
req is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #12

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Here is the previous amp rack. Audi has 4 tie downs in the trunk, that go all the way through the car. One of the edicts is that no additional holes will be drilled. So in the previous system and the new one, we have used those hole to support the whole truck assembly.

This was the 1/4" Alum amp rack.

Here is the new amp rack. It is made out of 1x2 tube steel.

One of the Welds.

What it will look like with all six amps installed.

What the final product will look like. The square cut outs will have plexi installed in them to show off the JL Audio 13TW5.

Top View

Front of the subwoofer #1

Rear of the JL 13TW5. Next comes some egg crate foam around the subs and up to the plexi.

Next will come some Second Skin being applied!
Old 12-18-2008   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by It_Hertz View Post
wicked old MS PG amps FTW. I loved those amps. I think second only to my old pro mos PPI's

looking forward to see the new build Ben you can bring it out to Denver for some shows! LOL
I used to have a PRO MOS 12 and a PRO MOS 50. I LOVED the 12. The 50's power supply just always hated me.

I would love to do a PPI Art Series System with Water Cooling.. Just like the old days.

Would love to come to Denver. One of my good friends just moved there... But the drive would kill me.
Old 12-18-2008   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 ssmith100 will become famous soon enoughssmith100 will become famous soon enoughssmith100 will become famous soon enoughssmith100 will become famous soon enoughssmith100 will become famous soon enoughssmith100 will become famous soon enough

Wow, hard to believe you would want to peel the Extreme off that badly. Ant makes a great product (Second Skin), but from my own personal experience with both products, the Extreme worked better. I tried the inside of my doors with deamplifier pro and had a hard time with it staying put. The Extreme has never moved.

Shane
ssmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 baggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enough

Nice build ! Those corner jigs are pretty neat. I should get some of those.

Zapco Studio amps. Linear Power PAII-R (TIPS mod'd),FI ,Hertz, MLA
baggedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #16

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Position:
Fabricator/Owner

Rep Power: 78 It_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enoughIt_Hertz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I used to have a PRO MOS 12 and a PRO MOS 50. I LOVED the 12. The 50's power supply just always hated me.

I would love to do a PPI Art Series System with Water Cooling.. Just like the old days.

Would love to come to Denver. One of my good friends just moved there... But the drive would kill me.

Will you be at spring break with it? I am planning on being there. Would love to get a listen.

Old 12-18-2008   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 khanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enoughkhanhfat will become famous soon enough

what amp are those ? in the 1st post
khanhfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #18

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Will you be at spring break with it? I am planning on being there. Would love to get a listen.
Heck yeah. I will have this or Harry Kimura's old Acura Legend there. Both of them will be done. Just depends on if I drive down or tow down.
Old 12-19-2008   #19

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanhfat View Post
what amp are those ? in the 1st post
They are all Phoenix Gold MS Series amps. The one closest to you is a Son of Frank, which is a MS2125 and MS275 in the same chassis. The back two are an MS2125 and a MS275. They are upside down, with the heat sinks being on the bottom.

The new system will be those four amps plus one additional MS275 and one MS2250.
Old 12-19-2008   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 tr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond reputetr0y_audi0 has a reputation beyond repute

This is great, loving the install..
Keep us posted on the JL Slim.
Would also like to join Bryan & give it a lison
Keep up the great Work

Check us out on Facebook
www.Facebook.com/Findlaycustoms
www.Findlaycustoms.com
www.Hybrid-audio.com
Top 100 Installer 2010
tr0y_audi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 Blown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enoughBlown Mustang GT will become famous soon enough

Looking good buddy! Tell your new installers that I said they do nice work!
Blown Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #22

Banned

Rep Power: 0 EcotecRacer will become famous soon enoughEcotecRacer will become famous soon enoughEcotecRacer will become famous soon enoughEcotecRacer will become famous soon enoughEcotecRacer will become famous soon enoughEcotecRacer will become famous soon enough

Shocking you are in Atlanta and didnt look to Jeff Smith or Calvin Thomas for install?

EcotecRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #23

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Position:
Fabricator/Owner

Quote:
Heck yeah. I will have this or Harry Kimura's old Acura Legend there. Both of them will be done. Just depends on if I drive down or tow down.

The the legendary legend.... haven't seen (or Heard) that one in ages.
is it going to be running through the lanes?

need to get both of them in the lanes.

old school systems in the lanes for a comeback FTW!!!!

Old 12-19-2008   #24

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 101 pyropoptrt will become famous soon enoughpyropoptrt will become famous soon enoughpyropoptrt will become famous soon enoughpyropoptrt will become famous soon enoughpyropoptrt will become famous soon enoughpyropoptrt will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to pyropoptrt Send a message via Yahoo to pyropoptrt

Ben, loving your A4 and I look forward to seeing you at Spring Break! I can't wait to get your input on the real install in the my pos acura (your A4 makes me miss my GTI).

Devil plays the fiddle?!?! Devil kinda ghey!!!
Team Audionutz | Team Arc Audio
pyropoptrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #25

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Car Audio Nationals
Position:
Event Promoter

Quote:
The the legendary legend.... haven't seen (or Heard) that one in ages.
is it going to be running through the lanes?

need to get both of them in the lanes.

old school systems in the lanes for a comeback FTW!!!!
The orginal system in the Audi was 100% analog old school. MX406, AX406a, EQ232, TBAT, etc....

I wish I could get both of them there. Not gonna happen based upon distance and budget. The Acura will be the big show car and the audi will be for the ones I don't feel like towing too...