2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 11 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011   #251
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 132 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

Look for more updates this Sunday.

This Sunday morning is dedicated to working on the amp rack latch, and air cylinder. Once this is done I will be removing the amp rack and doing all the aesthetic touches. Then running new vehicle RCA wiring. Then after this is done the stereo bezel will be removed from the Car and I will start the fiberglass work on that.

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011   #252

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 nostromo will become famous soon enoughnostromo will become famous soon enoughnostromo will become famous soon enoughnostromo will become famous soon enoughnostromo will become famous soon enoughnostromo will become famous soon enough

The coiled cable signal is the worst thing you can do ... becomes inductive

Hi-Fi surgery by ALTRA FEDELTA'
nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011   #253
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 132 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostromo View Post
The coiled cable signal is the worst thing you can do ... becomes inductive
They are only temporary. My GEPCO cable and Neutrik ends have arrived and while I'm cleaning up the amp rack I will custom make new RCA cables. Also am replacing the existing vehicle RCA cables because I had to extend them 4ft to reach the new amp rack location.

Old 01-28-2011   #254

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Mixerdriver will become famous soon enoughMixerdriver will become famous soon enoughMixerdriver will become famous soon enoughMixerdriver will become famous soon enoughMixerdriver will become famous soon enoughMixerdriver will become famous soon enough

subscribed
Mixerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011   #255
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Well the pictures have some gaps.

First I had to cut off the bracket on the catch piece. Then I welded on a 6" long 1" x 1/8" mild steel strip. After removing the stock trunk light assembly I was able to slip in the strip with the catch attached. Center it up. Pre-Drill holes for 2 mounting screws, and mounted the catch strip. The weight of the catch is held by the Car because the strip goes up inside the stock sheet metal.

After this was done I created a 3/4" spacer block to go behind the latch mechanism.. and then temporarily mounted that with self tapping screws.

Works very well!

Once I remove the amp rack to finish it I will paint the latch, and replace the self taps with T-Nuts.

The functionality is there though.

Last edited by BowDown; 01-31-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Old 01-31-2011   #256
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Worked outside in single digit temps to create a cardboard template for the face of my amp rack. There's a couple arcs I will draw in based on markings after transfer, and the center area around the latch will be squared up. I'm also creating a cover for the latch itself.

Old 01-31-2011   #257

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 baggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enoughbaggedbirds will become famous soon enough

looks like a latch from a T-bird?

Zapco Studio amps. Linear Power PAII-R (TIPS mod'd),FI ,Hertz, MLA
baggedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011   #258
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Close.. 88-89 Ford Taurus.

Old 02-22-2011   #259
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Bathroom project is still going on.. Sold off everything I was planning to. I have the carPC all operation on my desk @ work. Thing is going to be awesome! 6 fully active channels of DSP, dvd, wireless keyboard, touch screen monitor... Stay tuned.

Old 02-22-2011   #260
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 134 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

none of that stuff up there is in the Car is it???? thought I saw a for sale thread with it.

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011   #261
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5upra View Post
none of that stuff up there is in the Car is it???? thought I saw a for sale thread with it.
What are you smokin?

Old 02-23-2011   #262
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 134 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
What are you smokin?
eq's... head unit....

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011   #263
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

You said none?

Old 02-25-2011   #264
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA lurker

Rep Power: 151 Ludemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enough

Hey BowDown, do you have those underhung midbasses installed yet? I'm curious to know how they sound. Oh, and first rate work on the front stage!

I say you replace your spare with a lightweight thin-spoke wheel for more transparency. It would probably be the first time a wheel was bought for acoustics.

2004 Audi S4
Horsepower to the people
Ludemandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011   #265
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludemandan View Post
Hey BowDown, do you have those underhung midbasses installed yet? I'm curious to know how they sound. Oh, and first rate work on the front stage!

I say you replace your spare with a lightweight thin-spoke wheel for more transparency. It would probably be the first time a wheel was bought for acoustics.
Might want to give the thread a read-over. I wasn't able to get the underhung in the doors. I stopped myself before cutting up the door cards. That would cross the line in this install. Gotta stick to my guns.

I pulled the spare tire sub box and amp rack out. I'm not finishing up my next amp rack that is hinged under the rear deck. I put the donut back in for now as a spare.

The sub is now in the center of my dash.

Old 03-13-2011   #266
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Been awhile on updates. Bathroom project is killing my time and motivation.. but it's almost done!

Today I routed out the window for the amp rack top. I flushed the 1/4" plexy into the bottom. I plan on routing out another either window on each side, or perforated steel for air flow. This will give ya a taste though...

Plan on getting a goof 5-6hrs to work on it next Saturday along with lunch hours this week. Outside is going to be charcoal carpet to give it a more stealth appearance.

Old 03-14-2011   #267
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Also bent up a couple mounting brackets from 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum.

Old 03-14-2011   #268

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 English audiophile will become famous soon enoughEnglish audiophile will become famous soon enoughEnglish audiophile will become famous soon enoughEnglish audiophile will become famous soon enoughEnglish audiophile will become famous soon enoughEnglish audiophile will become famous soon enough

I love the idea of a tube amp driving those planner drive units, sweet & warm sounds
English audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011   #269
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by English audiophile View Post
I love the idea of a tube amp driving those planner drive units, sweet & warm sounds
That it is.. nothing like the effortless sound of the planars picking up the subtle harmonics of the tube driver.

I can't wait to hear my system again! This downtime is killing me. Have to remember this the next time I think of changing the system around.

Old 03-14-2011   #270
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 161 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

amen to that. i was going to do some fiberglassing to day but its like 45 degrees out, it was like 70 yesterday!

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011   #271
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by req View Post
amen to that. i was going to do some fiberglassing to day but its like 45 degrees out, it was like 70 yesterday!
Ouch! Been there done that. Luckily I can use the shop here after hours. Pretty consistent humidity and temp. But back in the day glassing outside was FUN.

Old 03-14-2011   #272
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 161 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

dont make me sad!

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011   #273
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by req View Post
dont make me sad!
Well at the rate I'm going I wont have tunes for another month. How sad is that!

Old 03-14-2011   #274
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Lunchtime updates:

Well my depth on the router mess up made the decision for me whether I was going plexy or perforated steel. LOL. Steel it is! Going to put in 1 on each end for venting. Center will stay plexy.

She'll look great either way.

Old 03-16-2011   #275
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Had to clearance the top a bit to clear the trunk lid wiring harness. Kinda sucks, but nothing I can do except try to make it look planned. Also smoothed out the end cap pieces and a teaser shot of the mesh in the side vents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement