2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 13 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011   #301
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
TJ Mobile Audio
Position:
Da Boss

Rep Power: 107 TJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

By the way, that trunk latch and downward hinging setup is brilliant IMO. I like the cherry too, I've been saving some nice pieces of curly cherry for a future install. I was going to use it on my F150 before I sold it...

And there's no wood trim in any of my other vehicles, drat!

F-150 | Corvette
Current: '14 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, '92 Ford Ranger
Install Pictures
TJ Mobile Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011   #302
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 134 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Thanks man. I'm going to work on the new latch cover/trim piece today during lunch. CarPC bracket should be done this weekend. Then it's back to a bit of fiberglass work on the stereo bezel.

I don't have any other wood in my car. Figured it would be a nice accent piece.

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
BowDown is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #303
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
TJ Mobile Audio
Position:
Da Boss

Rep Power: 107 TJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
Thanks man. I'm going to work on the new latch cover/trim piece today during lunch. CarPC bracket should be done this weekend. Then it's back to a bit of fiberglass work on the stereo bezel.

I don't have any other wood in my car. Figured it would be a nice accent piece.
I think this use is brilliant because it's in the trunk and out of sight so it really doesn't need to match, and when you flip down the amp rack most people are probably expecting to see bare MDF and messy wiring...

In the truck my subwoofer box was designed to be under the seat inside the cab, so the trim would have been visible all the time. The stereo bezel and all of the dash trim was faux burlwood (gotta love an old Lariat, perhaps the original "luxury truck" ), so I was going to stain the cherry to match as closely as I could.

It's mostly the latch that inspires me, you could almost pass it off as OEM (except for how good the audio is). OEM integrated to say the least. Have you used some kind of gas strut, or does it just swing down freely? Something to consider, it could perhaps protect the equipment from the sudden jolt if you or someone else unwittingly bumps the latch.

F-150 | Corvette
Install Pictures

Old 04-27-2011   #304
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 134 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Well the latch requires a screw driver, or key to release. There's no real way to bump it. I actually purchased a heavy duty storm door closer cylinder to try out. The main reason for this is a typical gas cylinder wants to push away from a closed state. This would actually force the amp rack down at a faster rate. I figured the door closer would kind of dampen the swing of the amp rack, and when it's fully extended just act as a catch.

Right now the amp rack will swing down via gravity, so I have to guide it down. Once down it will swing completely vertical. Not ideal cause the cover will try to pop out. The air cylinder will be mounted soon. Just wanted to finish all the wiring before adding another object to work around.

Worst case I will just run a catch strap on each side and guide it by hand.

I was beating my head during design trying to think of something that would work as a latch. I was thinking a snowmobile hood strap system on each side of the amp rack.. till I noticed it would be pretty tight quarters and the amp rack might still move because of the rubber straps. Searching eBay for 'latches' gave me the idea of a 80's Taurus trunk latch. Worked out great re-using the stock trunk light location for the catch.

Old 04-27-2011   #305
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

I made a rookie mistake with my accessory circuit. I took about 15A worth the load between (2) 5v DC-DC converters, Power antenna, 12v DC-DC, 19v DC-DC... and wired it into the accessory + feed off my Metra Axxess interface module. Was fused but didn't matter because the circuit was not designed to handle 15A load and I burnt out the Metra box. I should of known better... most of a HU's load comes from the continous feed. Oh well. Falls into the live and learn category.

To correct the issue I'm not going to use any of the stock wiring except to tap into the steering wheel controls. I'm going to run a 10GA + feed from the battery to a 30A relay. The relay will get its coil Power from a T-Tapped Accessory circuit. The relay will then output to a dedicated 6 circuit fuse block (I bought at summit racing), then each device I have added to the Car will run off a fused circuit. No worry about overloading any stock circuits.

Old 04-27-2011   #306
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
TJ Mobile Audio
Position:
Da Boss

Nice thing about the door closer is it's adjustable. If you got a real nice one, it will have a separate latch speed adjuster, too. Either way, that should fit the bill nicely.

F-150 | Corvette
Install Pictures
Old 04-27-2011   #307
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Mine has an adjustable relief valve.. that's about it. It will work well till the weather gets cold. I know my storm doors on the house slam closed if the weather is below 0.

Old 04-27-2011   #308

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 82 mellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enough

Woah, you're still at this? Hell yeah!!

Alpine CDA-117+H100 / JBL P180.2 x2 / JBL BP1200.1 / ID CTX65CS / Dayton RSS315HO-4

amungal: "Overpowering = mechanical stress; Underpowering = thermal stress"
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #309
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Haha. Just looked back. It's been a year and a half! Wow. (3) different systems since then (not including the stock). At least on the plus side it's gotten better with each change?

There wont be a 4th. The wife will kill me before that happens.

Old 04-27-2011   #310
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
TJ Mobile Audio
Position:
Da Boss

Quote:
Mine has an adjustable relief valve.. that's about it. It will work well till the weather gets cold. I know my storm doors on the house slam closed if the weather is below 0.
Your amp rack may have enough weight to counteract that. If not, add another amp.

F-150 | Corvette
Install Pictures
Old 04-27-2011   #311
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Mobile Audio View Post
Your amp rack may have enough weight to counteract that. If not, add another amp.

One way to find out! Don't know that I would ever let it go down naturally anyway. Even with the 32 screws holding the piano hinge. 25lbs or so of expensive equipment.

Ha see comment above. This system is 'IT'.

Old 04-27-2011   #312
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Started the new latch cover/trim piece. Took some 4/4 poplar and cut/ripped it to size. Then planed it to 1/2". I proceeded to kerf the wood to allow bending. Then I created a bending block to simulate the latch piece. Tomorrow I will use some resin jelly in the cuts and clamps to form the bend (more of a bend than shown). Afterwards I'm going to cut out the shape.

Old 04-28-2011   #313
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

New dedicated Accessory fuse block came in!

Also jigged/resined/clamped my new latch cover/trim piece. Tomorrow after it cures I will cut the final shape, quick sand, test fit.. then if time wrap it in carpet.

Old 04-28-2011   #314

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 82 mellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enough

I know that trim piece isn't load-bearing, but after you test-fit, why not throw a thin layer of glass & resin on it for strength?

Alpine CDA-117+H100 / JBL P180.2 x2 / JBL BP1200.1 / ID CTX65CS / Dayton RSS315HO-4

Old 04-28-2011   #315
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
I know that trim piece isn't load-bearing, but after you test-fit, why not throw a thin layer of glass & resin on it for strength?
Ya the thought crossed my mind to brush a milkshake mixture into the cracks to help strengthen it. I'll see how strong it is after the curing process.

Old 04-28-2011   #316

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Ya the thought crossed my mind to brush a milkshake mixture into the cracks to help strengthen it. I'll see how strong it is after the curing process.
Yup. IMO, do it. I never can get myself to trust anything that has been kerfed and bent... but then you're the expert on that, not me

Old 04-28-2011   #317
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 136 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

How much for the canoe????

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011   #318
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5upra View Post
How much for the canoe????
1-million-dollars

Old 04-29-2011   #319
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Lunch updates:

After examination I figured some resin and a layer of cloth on the backside will help.

Also transferred my carPC mount bracket templates to steel and drilled/cut them out. Came out nice. Need a little dressing. Going to fab up the cross pieces Sunday.

Old 04-29-2011   #320

DIYMA freshman

Sweet, good to see you strengthened it.

Do you have a thread about your carpc? I'm curious about how usable the sound settings and filters are. Does the carpc have functionality for stuff like EQ, crossover, time delay, as well as conveniences like steering wheel control inputs, etc?

Old 04-29-2011   #321
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
Sweet, good to see you strengthened it.

Do you have a thread about your carpc? I'm curious about how usable the sound settings and filters are. Does the carpc have functionality for stuff like EQ, crossover, time delay, as well as conveniences like steering wheel control inputs, etc?
No thread as of yet. Once I get the unit mounted I will make a thread about how I did it.

In a quick description the PC is a Samsung Q1 UMPC running XP Pro SP3, 1.1ghz processor, wifi, bluetooth, 2GB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 7" Touch screen. It has 2 USB Ports that each run to a powered Hub. First hub has the steering wheel control module, wireless keyboard receiver, WinTV USB FM Tuner, Samsung DVD-RW. Second Hub has just the Creative Labs 24-bit 5.1 USB Soundcard (high bandwidth requirements), and USB cable to console USB port for memory sticks or whatever.

For software I'm running Foobar2000 as the media player along with various DSP add-on modules for processing. Also use Virtual Cable Adapter to port all other windows sounds through Foobar2000's DSP.

DSP has independent Left/Right 30band graphic EQ. Full Crossover w/up to 8th order slope, time alignment, level controls, along with a ton of other DSP options I don't need like dolby surround, reverb, stereo width adjustment, filters...

Old 04-29-2011   #322

DIYMA freshman

Shit, sounds awesome. With so many low-power solid-state devices around nowadays, it seems silly that I haven't set up a carputer yet. Is Windows still the way to go, or does good Linux software exist, too? Last I remember, Linux was pretty far behind with audio processing, unfortunately.

BTW, this discussion is related to your build, right? If not, feel free to ignore, and stop me from derailing the thread.

Old 04-29-2011   #323
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Ha it's ok.

I didn't find a linux or android option that would work for me. Most of the issue is finding compatible hardware. The software prbly exists somewhere to do a full DSP but with the unit I had it was just much easier to stick with XP and run proven software/hardware. I know my soundcard, and steering wheel control module wasn't Linux compatible.

Old 04-29-2011   #324

DIYMA freshman

Yep, makes sense. Even though I run Linux at work, on my home server, on my HTPC, and on my phone, I would probably use XP as well. Another reason for me to use Windows is that I have windows-only tuning software (SCT PRP).

Old 05-02-2011   #325
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Small updates from yesterday. Spent most of the time helping Turbo5upra Build his new box/amp rack. But I did fight with the welder and got some tacks on my carPC bracket. Once I get some more time I will run some nice looking welds. Also got the 10ga + feed to my new accessory fuse block in the dash. (no pics)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement