2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 15 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011   #351
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 137 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

Wow... see what can get done when you don't have the co-workers helping you out on the back seat of the car?
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011   #352
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 135 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Is that really the best you can come up with?

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011   #353
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 135 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Had to play with warranty repair work on the car during lunch yesterday so no fiberglass updates. Will have some today after lunch.

Old 05-12-2011   #354
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Got some glassing done today. Used a combo of 2/3rd short hair fiberglass, and 1/3rd liquid resin to fill in the gaps on the backside of the radio bezel. Then took resin jelly and filled in the front gaps and kerf cuts on the latch cover bezel.

I will continue with another thin layer of short haired fiberglass on top of the bezel to add some strength. Shouldn't take much to blend the section in.

Old 05-16-2011   #355
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Sanded both pieces and applied a hot coat of short haired resin milkshake. I touched it one too many times as you can see. LOL. I used painters tape to edge off the milkshake and cover the CD-ROM hole.

Old 05-16-2011   #356
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

5-14 Updates:

Cleaned up the fuse block wiring a bit. Still looking for an enclosure.

Wiring done.

HVAC duct blocked with 1/4" Plywood w/gasket tape, and aluminum backed duct tape.

Bezel coat #1 sanded

Coat #2 applied

Old 05-16-2011   #357
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

5-15 updates:

Bezel coat #3 applied

Coat #4 applied (icing)

During lunch today I will finish feathering out the icing coat, and do some minor spot filling, sand one more time (wet), and then shoot it with some primer.

Old 05-16-2011   #358
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

CarPC things are changing. Kinda sucks.. but it's all in the name of SQ. My creative labs 5.1 USB sound card is becoming a little flaky and I believe it's got some odd artifacts when being pushed. Not to mention it's not ASIO compatible. So I'm ditching it for a new Gigaport HD 8-Channel ASIO USB sound card. Figures this sound card uses RCA connectors and not 1/8" stereo.. so I also ordered (3) KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable 2 Channel 1/2M Twisted Pair RCA cables. Nothing like blowing another $160. Hopefully this corrects the issue.

Old 05-16-2011   #359

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 mellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enoughmellephants will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
CarPC things are changing. Kinda sucks.. but it's all in the name of SQ. My creative labs 5.1 USB sound card is becoming a little flaky and I believe it's got some odd artifacts when being pushed. Not to mention it's not ASIO compatible. So I'm ditching it for a new Gigaport HD 8-Channel ASIO USB sound card. Figures this sound card uses RCA connectors and not 1/8" stereo.. so I also ordered (3) KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable 2 Channel 1/2M Twisted Pair RCA cables. Nothing like blowing another $160. Hopefully this corrects the issue.
Sigh. Heh. Well at least you are discovering it so those that copy your setup won't have to go down the same road

Alpine CDA-117+H100 / JBL P180.2 x2 / JBL BP1200.1 / ID CTX65CS / Dayton RSS315HO-4

amungal: "Overpowering = mechanical stress; Underpowering = thermal stress"
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011   #360
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellephants View Post
Sigh. Heh. Well at least you are discovering it so those that copy your setup won't have to go down the same road
This is true. Glad to be the guinea pig. Guess if the sound card doesn't fix the issue I'll have a 6 channel sound card available for ya cheap.

Old 05-16-2011   #361
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Well done on changing out the sound card. Creative is very good for surround or gaming, but for real hi-fi it just doesn't cut it.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011   #362
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Just tried out my bargain basement 6.5" midbasses that looked good on paper.. but they SUCK in reality.

So I bought a pair of Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm.

Old 05-18-2011   #363
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Got a good bit done during lunch today.

Took a forester bit and hogged out some material to allow the carPC bracket to rest in. Also have to relief cut a spot for the plastic gusset on the vertical piece. Then bored 2 holes behind the bracket piece to allow cables to come through the bezel. 1 USB on each side, power on the right side. The carPC bracket leaves about 1/4" space behind it for the cables to sneak out.

Also notched the blocks on the back of the trim piece to allow for the LED strip trunk light, and used a power sander to knock down the majority of the high spots.

She's almost there!

Old 05-18-2011   #364
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

It's starting to take shape, great!

Hey, I've got a pair of CDT mids just like that in the last photo! (Actually they're borrowed).

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #365
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
It's starting to take shape, great!

Hey, I've got a pair of CDT mids just like that in the last photo! (Actually they're borrowed).
Ha, thanks. Part of me wishes I could mold the bracket in.. but it's just not possible without a huge bulge. Simpler is better in this situation.

Those CDT mids I bought way back in the day. One has some surround issues from hitting the door card in my focus. Eventually I will get around to replacing the surrounds.

Old 05-19-2011   #366
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Wow these things are massive! Hope they fit in my doors.

Old 05-21-2011   #367

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 TheScottishBear will become famous soon enoughTheScottishBear will become famous soon enoughTheScottishBear will become famous soon enoughTheScottishBear will become famous soon enoughTheScottishBear will become famous soon enoughTheScottishBear will become famous soon enough

Great build. The dash sub is crazy. lol

2009 BMW 550i
P99rs/iPad mini
ES mini horns/12" midbass 18" Peavey Subs/Ampere Audio
TheScottishBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011   #368
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 tintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enough

Lookin good.
tintbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011   #369
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
TJ Mobile Audio
Position:
Da Boss

Rep Power: 108 TJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enoughTJ Mobile Audio will become famous soon enough

Getting soooooo close, man. I think you're almost to the "mess with the dash mat and try to make it look normal" phase.

F-150 | Corvette
Current: '14 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, '92 Ford Ranger
Install Pictures
TJ Mobile Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011   #370
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 137 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

So peerless drivers continue to impress me. from the 10$ ones in my doors to the sls in his car. Shocked with the sound from his carputer so far.
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011   #371
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Mobile Audio View Post
Getting soooooo close, man. I think you're almost to the "mess with the dash mat and try to make it look normal" phase.
Got a plan for that tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2011   #372
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5upra View Post
So peerless drivers continue to impress me. from the 10$ ones in my doors to the sls in his car. Shocked with the sound from his carputer so far.
Thanks for the hand.

Ya the peerless do sound impressive in both vehicles. I would of went with the $10 ones myself if they were still available.

Old 05-24-2011   #373
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

5-22-2011 Updates!

Got the new SLS midbasses installed. OMG I love them! Also got the fasteners drilled out for the trim piece.

Old 05-24-2011   #374
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

5-23-2011 Updates:

Took the whole day off to work on the car. Didn't get as much done as I would of hoped. Seems to be the case. Anyway I first tackled the amp rack. The hot glue I used to secure the LED strips didn't work out. So I took off all the glue, then used 1x1 stick on tie downs w/1/2" screw in the middle... then cable tied the LED's in. Next I removed the old soundcard.. then discovered the new soundcards RCA jacks are too tight to fit my RCA ends... so I took it apart and used a step bit to open the holes. Works great now! After some debate with the stereo bezel piece I got talked into taking more time with the primer and such and painting it. Came out pretty nice.. it's not perfect.. but damn nice. Also removed/primed/painted the strip above the glove box to match. I filled/carpeted the trim piece. Turns out I didn't have as much carpet on-hand as I thought. So the backside of the piece is less than stellar. Going to re-carpet it after the show. Applied grill cloth to the sub grill.

Old 05-24-2011   #375
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 164 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

impressive man!

looking forward to having a listen!!

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement