2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 165 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
I figured I would start a progress thread for my custom stereo project. Little info:

Car:
-2010 Fusion Sport FWD w/Sony 12 Speaker Stereo (no navigation)

Goal:
-To fill in the freq curve gaps the stock stereo misses
-Bring the stage up in front of the driver
-Clean/Simple install to resemble a factory appearance

Equipment:
Front
-Alpine F1 SPX-Z18T 3-way X-overs
-Alpine F1 [Tweeter]
-Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducer (Parts-Express.com:Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducer | neo8pdr planar tweeter ribbon tweeter planar transducer) [Mid-range]
-Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer (Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | subwoofer 5-1/4" subwoofer neodynium subwoofer tangband tb speakers tangband-22008) [Midbass]

Rear
-No Rear Fill

Subwoofer
-IDQ12D4

Amplifier
-US Acoustics 2150 2x150 @ 4ohm RMS [Front Stage]
-US Acoustics 2075 1x240 @ 4ohm RMS [Sub] (I realize the sub w/present a 2ohm load in parallel, if I run into issues I will swap out the sub for the IDQ12D2)

HU
-Alpine CDA-9833 3way Crossover/Time Correction/EQ

Installation Basics:
-Alpine F1 Tweeter in stock location
-The Planar Mid-Range is going to be molded into the A-Pillar
-Midbass will be install in the stock front door midbass location
-Doors will be sound deadened
-Subwoofer will be installed in a cylinder shaped enclosure in the spare tire well sized so a full 18" Sport wheel/tire (spare) and be placed over top of the box as a speaker grill.
-Trunk floor will be raised 4" to account for the added full spare height, along with speaker volume requirements.
-Amps to be installed under raised floor
-Access hole to be cut in stock carpet floor cover to expose the full spare w/sub inside
-Stock subs to be removed.
I Like It!
IMO, this is a getting back to basics true DIY system. Simple in component make up but thought and work in the install!

I am sure many will tell you that using the F1 Three-way passives with those drivers in those locations will not work. However, you already have shown that you have put thought and creativity in this project. You already seem like the type that will go through the steps of modifications and tuning to get things to work. Good luck with the project man and thanks for keeping it simple and clean yet thoughtful and provocative in the approach.
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 137 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE= I have pretty much any tool I want available to me.[/QUOTE]

Can't forget the most important tool.... then one doing the install!

lol, saw that and had to throw that in.

Ps... i'll be awaiting retaliation in one of my threads :-P
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 135 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

More ring pics from after work yesterday:

I like em alot better! They actually flow better on the pillar.
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 135 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Ha, thanks for the complements. I've put alot of thought into this setup. Have to say the biggest tool in this thread is Brian (turbo5upra)! Haha.

Brian and I are going to be devoting this coming Saturday to my car. Have alot of fiberglassing, carpet, and wiring to do yet.
Old 11-25-2009   #55

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 jbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enough

Make sure that plug that runs up the pillar won't interfere with your depth of fit. I had to lengthen the plug and move it up higher for the pillar install in my Fusion.

Last edited by jbholsters; 11-25-2009 at 08:43 AM..
jbholsters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

The ring actually gives me a little depth behind that you can't really see in the blurry pic. Also the planar mid has no depth, and the tweeters backcup has about 1/4" depth. Should be good.
Old 11-25-2009   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Final Mockup/Design:

I love the way they came out. Took my time to match each panel perfect to the other.

Old 11-25-2009   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 urban96 will become famous soon enoughurban96 will become famous soon enoughurban96 will become famous soon enoughurban96 will become famous soon enoughurban96 will become famous soon enoughurban96 will become famous soon enough

NICE!
urban96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009   #59

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 102 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

These A pillars with planars look great. I want to hear it when it is done.
audio+civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Sealing up the top baffel:

A-pillar's

Old 11-29-2009   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Subwoofer Bottom Baffle:

Still lots of sanding/filling to do on the A-Pillars. Some sanding on the sub enclosure.

Also did some power/speaker wiring on the fusion. Was an awesome 6hrs on Saturday.
Old 11-30-2009   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 137 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

looking good man, I might have to take a listen to it when it's all done.....
Old 11-30-2009   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Ha I'm sure you'll be there for the initial powering up.
Old 11-30-2009   #64

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 akanoon will become famous soon enoughakanoon will become famous soon enoughakanoon will become famous soon enoughakanoon will become famous soon enoughakanoon will become famous soon enoughakanoon will become famous soon enough

Nice job on the woodwork. And a thumbs up for trying something different.
akanoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009   #65

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 Irishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enoughIrishfocus06 will become famous soon enough

Amazing craftsmanship! Love the sub enclosure as you don't normally see one like that. Very cool! I will say I am against the masses on the mid placement as IMO it don't flow well, but I am sure it will sound fantastic. Wish I could take a listen.

Good luck with the rest of the build.
Irishfocus06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009   #66

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 rollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enoughrollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enoughrollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enoughrollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enoughrollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enoughrollininstyle2004 will become famous soon enough

I like the A-pillars, great build so far.
rollininstyle2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 nuggr will become famous soon enoughnuggr will become famous soon enoughnuggr will become famous soon enoughnuggr will become famous soon enoughnuggr will become famous soon enoughnuggr will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to nuggr

Very good installation...
nuggr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Freijojo will become famous soon enoughFreijojo will become famous soon enoughFreijojo will become famous soon enoughFreijojo will become famous soon enoughFreijojo will become famous soon enoughFreijojo will become famous soon enough

Good installation !
You want put the F#1 tweet on the Front with the ribon tweeters?
Freijojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

he opted for the b&g tweeters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freijojo View Post
Good installation !
You want put the F#1 tweet on the Front with the ribon tweeters?
Old 12-03-2009   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Thanks!

I will be using the BG Neo3PDR's as tweeters. The Neo8PDR's are midrange.
Old 12-03-2009   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

First coat of fiberglassed reinforced bondo. Wow I didn't have long to play with this stuff! Made the mix a bit hot... Opps. So excuse the rough application. I'm sure there's going to be at least a couple more.

Old 12-03-2009   #72

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 jbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enoughjbholsters will become famous soon enough

If you need some really thin mix, take some fiberglass resin and body filler resin and mix a little of both together, then mix in some hardner.
jbholsters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009   #73

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 doogz will become famous soon enoughdoogz will become famous soon enoughdoogz will become famous soon enoughdoogz will become famous soon enoughdoogz will become famous soon enoughdoogz will become famous soon enough

Awesome build!
doogz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Thanks for the tip. I used the reinforced bondo for this layer to add some strength. I only used a medium thickness cloth. Next 2 layers will be the "milkshake".
Old 12-06-2009   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

High-Speed Sander makes quick work of my rough bondo work. Box also belt sanded:

Box Dampened:

Wires Installed:

Bondo/Resin (Milkshake) Mix on the pillars:

Pillars Sanded (2nd Coat):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement