2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009   #76

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 99 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

Looking good

Country music sucks.
audio+civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 132 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Love the signature. Lol. I agree.
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 134 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

a bit more work today, needs more sanding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31738.jpg (71.5 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31739.jpg (87.9 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31740.jpg (39.4 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31741.jpg (19.8 KB, 419 views)
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 132 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Sweet! There's even progress while I'm at work. Thanks for the effort Brian. Pillars and sub box look good.
Old 12-07-2009   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Revised the Specs!

Car:
-2010 Fusion Sport FWD w/Sony 12 Speaker Stereo (no navigation)

Goal:
-To fill in the freq curve gaps the stock stereo misses
-Bring the stage up in front of the driver
-Clean/Simple install to resemble a factory appearance

Equipment:
Front
-Alpine F1 SPX-Z18T 3-way X-overs
-Bohlender Graebener Neo3-PDR Planar Transducer [Tweeter]
-Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducer [Mid-range]
-Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer [Midbass]

Rear
-No Rear Fill

Subwoofer
-IDQ12D4

Amplifier
-US Acoustics 2150 2x150 @ 4ohm RMS [Front Stage]
-US Acoustics 2075 1x240 @ 4ohm RMS [Sub Voice-Coil #1]
-US Acoustics 2075 1x240 @ 4ohm RMS [Sub Voice-Coil #2]

HU
-Alpine CDA-9833 3way Crossover/Time Correction/EQ

Installation Basics:
-The Planar Mid-Range/Tweeter is going to be molded into the A-Pillar
-Midbass will be install in the stock front door midbass location
-Doors will be sound deadened
-Subwoofer will be installed in a cylinder shaped enclosure in the spare tire well sized so a full 18" Sport wheel/tire (spare) and be placed over top of the box as a Speaker grill.
-Trunk floor will be raised 4" to account for the added full spare height, along with speaker volume requirements.
-Amps to be installed under raised floor
-Access hole to be cut in stock carpet floor cover to expose the full spare w/sub inside
-Stock subs to be removed.

Last edited by BowDown; 12-07-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Old 12-11-2009   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 112 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Nice work, I love the install! Sure wish I could do a large chunk of my install during lunch hours...

Have you gotten a chance to listen to the USA amps yet? I have a 4080 and 4050 I'm about to put in to Power my front stage, curious on your thoughts.

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Ya it is nice having the shop to mess around in during my hour lunch. Right now I've been pretty busy outside of work so I haven't gotten anything more done on the pillars. Once they are ready for paint I will be painting all the new interior trim pieces. Then back to the amp rack/flooring.

Haven't heard the USA amps yet. Will be a surprise!
Old 12-14-2009   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Updates 12-12-2009:

Updates are slow to come in.. been really busy with all the holidays and such. I got them in another coat of icing, and sanded them down. Next will be a quick wet sand then primer to proof my work.

Old 12-14-2009   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 134 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

bout time you made some progress....
Old 12-14-2009   #85

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
My garage
Position:
Lone guy

Rep Power: 92 Greg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
You using the garden shears to trim the edges?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

You mean the end of the a-pillar panel that will be covered by the dash? I haven't cleaned them up. I will actually have to mark where the pillar meets the dash and clearance the area that's recessed. The tolerances are tight between the pillars/dash. When I wrap these in grill cloth I don't think they will fit. So I'm not that concerned with the ends yet.
Old 12-14-2009   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Oh! I gotcha now. I didn't even notice the pruning shears on the work bench.
Old 12-20-2009   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

More updates!

Added a crossover attachment to the amp rack

Before Undercoating

After Undercoating

Test fit before primer

Primer Time!

Old 12-20-2009   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Time to prewire amp rack

Mockup in car

The wiring hasn't be tied up in these pics. It's actually very clean. More pics to come.
Old 12-20-2009   #90

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 flapp1 will become famous soon enoughflapp1 will become famous soon enoughflapp1 will become famous soon enoughflapp1 will become famous soon enoughflapp1 will become famous soon enoughflapp1 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to flapp1

sweet build,keep up the good work
flapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 wheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the rough

man, thats freakin awsome. that under the spare sub is bad-ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Fuck the dash, I am driving.
wheelieking71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Thanks! I actually got a chance to preview it. Turbo5upra was helping yesterday, and we swapped out his DIYMA 12 for my IDQ12 (in my enclosure) and it sounded great! Tight, accurate, and even reached deep. Everything I wanted. Can't wait till it's in MY car.
Old 12-21-2009   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
Can't wait till it's in MY car.
*scratches head* isn't it in your Car now???
Old 12-21-2009   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Hmm... True. But it's not functional.
Old 12-21-2009   #95
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapp1 View Post
sweet build,keep up the good work
Looks better in person Bob. *cough*
Old 12-23-2009   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Threw some semi-gloss rattle can black on them. Just for protection from whatever sun might get em. Though the grill cloth you can't see anything anyway..

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
Old 12-23-2009   #97
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Lunch updates:

Put some 1/4" thick double-sided foam tape on the bottom of the planar mounting edge. Stuck em in place and zipped em down with 1/2" long screws. They are looking sweet. 1 last test fit, then I will wrap them in grill cloth and install them in the car.

Had to paint the rivit heads black on the neo8. Stuck out like a sore thumb through the grill cloth.

Old 12-28-2009   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 103 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

Pardon me if this has been asked already, I didn't see/find it. Could you tell me where you purchased your kerfkore/core? I used some 10+ years ago but the company I got it from is now out of biz.

Thanks, and great install!!
FLYONWALL9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009   #99
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Well more updates, not so many pictures.

Removed the amp rack and finished up all the wiring.
Removed front door panels, created 1/2" MDF adapter rings.
Fished 4 conductor Wire up to the a-pillar & terminated
Fished 4 conductor Wire into the doors. WOW what a PITA!! Took about 1hr per door.
Created a bracket for the fuse block under the hood & painted it.
Test fitted the pillars w/speakers installed.

That's actually about it. 5hrs went so fast... I think I'm going to pick up some marine grade plywood and remake the adapter rings. There actually is alot of moisture inside the doors, and I want to make sure the rings don't swell up.

I dropped one of the pillars and it cracked the fiberglass on the end of the pillar. Epoxy and a light sand/paint and it'll go away. Just set me back! Along with pissed me off.

Speaker mounted with 3/4" material, swapped it out for 1/2" after discovering clearance issues.

Bracket

Old 12-28-2009   #100
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post
Pardon me if this has been asked already, I didn't see/find it. Could you tell me where you purchased your kerfkore/core? I used some 10+ years ago but the company I got it from is now out of biz.

Thanks, and great install!!
It's not kerfkore. It's actually 5/4 x 10 Southern Yellow Pine lumber. We use it for stair tread stock here @ work. I kerf'd it myself here in the shop with a dedicated saw we have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement