2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010   #176
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 135 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread

I ended up with the old mounts,.... My set are in the classifieds, trying to simplify my life.

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010   #177

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 thechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enough

damn i already have the planars. Would you be willing to sell the enclosures only?
thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010   #178
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 133 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Well the extra set did go to Brian's car. They were actually pretty easy to make if you have access to a router w/a cutting bit? They weren't really enclosures.. just mounting rings that would then need to be fiberglassed into your A-Pillars.

I'm curious to hear what your system plans are. Have you started a Build thread of your own?

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010   #179

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 thechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enough

Not yet. Ill get on that at some point this week. How are you liking the neo3s?
Old 04-07-2010   #180
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 133 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Neo3's are nice. They are clean, but not harsh. I've heard quite a few different metal domes and they tend to get a little shrill. These neo3's off-axis are pretty clean and flat. I have very little eq on the tweeters.

Old 04-07-2010   #181

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 120 pimpedout97x will become famous soon enoughpimpedout97x will become famous soon enoughpimpedout97x will become famous soon enoughpimpedout97x will become famous soon enoughpimpedout97x will become famous soon enoughpimpedout97x will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
man, thats freakin awsome. that under the spare sub is bad-ass!
the spare sub?
pimpedout97x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010   #182
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

tru.

I ordered some SPL tiles, closed cell foam, and I already have the Speaker tweakers for the front doors. Going to get all the rattles and flex taken care of this weekend or maybe next week.

I found the fabric I've been waiting for to redo the headliner! Woohoo! Also ordered new pillar grill cloth in a light sand color to match the new headliner fabric. That project to start in a few weeks.

After having my Car RTA'd and judged I'm pretty damn happy! The judge was very impressed with the overall sound. I was given some suggestions which a few I have already implemented.

-Change crossover point on the mids from 800hz to 500hz. (I love Alpine F1 crossovers for being able to set whatever I want).
-EQ adjustment to bring up the 400hz -> 1.2khz range. Was a little low on the RTA and might hinder some staging of vocals. I adjusted the EQ by ear and I tend to like my music a little muted in the 1k range, but after making the adjustment up a little it still sounds awesome.
-I might have a slight phasing issue around 2k range. So I'm going to work on adjusting the midrange in the driver-side slightly to get a better angle and possibly correct this.

Overall I'm still very happy with the system.

More updates to come.

Old 04-14-2010   #183
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Well I tried

-Both mids out of phase [made stage wider, but lost alot of depth of sound]
-Both mids/tweets out of phase [no real change in highs, same as above]
-Both mids/tweets/midbass out of phase [eh]

-Right mid out, left in [pulled the stage to the right, kind narrowed the stage]
-Right mid/tweet out, left in [same as above]
-Right mid/tweet/midbass out, left in [total ass]

-Right tweet out, left in [seems to be a winner. the right tweet isnt as bright which helps center the stage. I also changed the left tweet from +1.5 to +4db. Have to see how I like it later]

Old 04-15-2010   #184
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Ok well I believe I have a winner:

tweet - Left out / Right in
mid - Left out / Right out
midbass - Left in / Right in

The image seems cleaner and more defined. Now I just need to tweak my EQ again.

Door deadening material should be here Tuesday.

Old 04-15-2010   #185
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Well a frustrating day for the stereo. After not getting it to sound like I wanted I put it back to all in-phase and set the EQ back to the pics i took... still wasn't completely happy. I think my ears are just spesnt for today. Going to start fresh tomorrow during lunch on EQ'ing.

I did however cut down the DEQ230 . Actually come to think of it.. that saw was kinda loud, wonder if that had an effect. Doh!

The cutoff section is underneath it. I cut it down to fit into my amp rack. The EQ will live in the glove box or under a seat.

Old 04-19-2010   #186
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Purchased my new headliner material this weekend!

I also have a matching cream colored grill cloth to re-wrap my A-Pillar pods in. The fabric should go pretty well with the cream colored plastic trim.

Discuss.

Old 04-19-2010   #187
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 135 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

looks like a bad pair of golf pants.

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010   #188
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Just about the Irish/Scottish look I was going for.

Old 04-19-2010   #189
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

I just picked up a couple nice case fans for my amp rack cooling! Double Ball-Bearing 3-speed Antec fans. Very quiet on setting 1 and 2... still decent on setting 3. I figure for those hot days where I'm going to beat on the system I can set them on position 3, otherwise 2 should work great.

Best of all got em for $7.50 each locally cause of my awesome discount.

Going to Wire em up with the 4-pin molex connection for easy replacement.

Old 04-21-2010   #190
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Got quite a bit down today. Strategically sound deadened the doors. Installed the Speaker tweakers. Installed the new baffles. Sounds nice. Not a night and day difference but the midbass is a little stronger and cleaner.

I remounted the HU. Replaced the RCAs. Mounted the EQ and ran a long perm remote line to make adjustments from up front. Also tied up alot of loose ends like the antenna Power wire, and lots of cable ties.

Was a great day.

Old 04-21-2010   #191

DIYMA freshman

Dont mean to hijack but I commented earlier that your project was sort of an inspiration for me. I just finished making these enclosures. Do I need to cut a hole in the back of these or leave them sealed up for the neo8s?

Old 04-22-2010   #192
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

You're going to want the back of your baffles routed out. That would sound pretty peaky otherwise. Just the space behind the pillar seems to work well for me.

Old 04-24-2010   #193
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 Apothacon will become famous soon enoughApothacon will become famous soon enoughApothacon will become famous soon enoughApothacon will become famous soon enoughApothacon will become famous soon enoughApothacon will become famous soon enough

BowDown thx for postin your build... gave me lots to think about as i plan my first noob install especially the trunk and A pillars

My Australian Cattle Dog herded my homework.
Apothacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010   #194

DIYMA freshman

What did you use to keep the cloth tight on the enclosures/panels while you glassed and covered them with Speaker cloth.

Im about to bust out the staple gun and try my luck making it look neat when its dry. Im having a hard time keeping fold and wrinkles out of the fabric.
Old 04-26-2010   #195
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Hot glue my man. I used it to secure the fabric for glassing, and the grill cloth for finishing. Works well if you clean the panel with some kind of thinner, and rough it up a bit with some course sand paper.

Old 04-29-2010   #196
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Updated!

Per a suggestion from my buddy Brian I swapped out the flat & egg crate acoustic foam for 5oz of polyfill. Made a nice change to the sub. Little louder, deeper, and smoother if ya will. Well worth the $3.50 for the bag.

Old 04-29-2010   #197

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 122 dvcrogers will become famous soon enoughdvcrogers will become famous soon enoughdvcrogers will become famous soon enoughdvcrogers will become famous soon enoughdvcrogers will become famous soon enoughdvcrogers will become famous soon enough

awesome Build man. I wish I had skills!!!!!

Factory head unit, 360.3, Hertz High Energy tweets, FR 88Ex mids, SLS 6.5 mid bass, GTO1014d subs ported, US Acoustic 4060, 4080, and 2200 amps.
dvcrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010   #198
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Ha. Thanks for the props.

Only one way to get better at something... research and do it.

Old 04-30-2010   #199

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 119 SmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enoughSmallSoldier will become famous soon enough

BowDown,

First and most importantly... Congratulations! Very nice install... Which I had the skills

One question, from the pictures I couldn't see if there was any type of grill protecting your subwoofer... With it's current position and the fact that your trunk is functional, you wouldn't like something being dropped in there and harming the surround of the sub... and small grill on top of it wouldn't hurt

Regards,
SS
SmallSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010   #200
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSoldier View Post
BowDown,

First and most importantly... Congratulations! Very nice install... Which I had the skills

One question, from the pictures I couldn't see if there was any type of grill protecting your subwoofer... With it's current position and the fact that your trunk is functional, you wouldn't like something being dropped in there and harming the surround of the sub... and small grill on top of it wouldn't hurt

Regards,
SS
Thanks for the input. While the wheel does offer some protection I do know what you mean about small objects getting down there. I don't really tend to carry anything loose.. but no fear... I am ordering some charcoal carpet to make a circular shaped cover to put over the spare tire (and lap the floor a bit). It will be acoustically transparent as far as bass goes, and it will protect the spare along with sub while I'm actually using the trunk. Otherwise I will have it rolled up and set aside.

The hub section of the wheel actually recesses into the cone area of the sub. This would make any normal grill impossible to use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement