LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 CJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enough

Default 99 Bmw 323i complete audio redo

This build will be slow since I am very busy with school right now, but I will work on it as much as I can and keep you updated. Here are the specs:

Sub: 1 Pioneer Premier TS-W3001D4 12"
Sub amp: Rockford Fosgate T1500-1BD
Speakers: Boston Acoustics Pro60se
Speaker Amp: Rockford Fosgate P400-2
KnuKonceptz wire
Second Skin Damplifier

And its all tying into the OEM head unit with a 3sixty.1
I am waiting on the pro60se's and P400-2 in the mail, onto the pics!

The car:

Sub box diagram:
[IM]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p155/CJalderman/portedbox3.jpg[/IMG]

The sub:

All the MDF cut and ready to glue:

I started with the port:

And the box:

All together with the port painted:
[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p155/CJalderman/CIMG3110.jpg[/IMG}

Speaker terminals:

Carpeting the box:

CJtech323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 CJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enoughCJtech323 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 99 Bmw 323i complete audio redo

Sub and box:

Now I wonder what could be in these boxes?

8 ft each of Red and black 1/0 awg, 8 ft each of red and black 4 awg, and 75 ft of 12 awg speaker wire

And in box #2, 50 sq ft of Damplifier

And here is everything I have received:

And onto the install!
Beginning to lay down the Damplifier on the trunk lid:

All done! I put down 6 sq ft

And everything buttoned up, I know it peeks out a little bit, but its not that noticeable so Im not worrying about it

And thats it for today, I will post more pics as I move along.
Old 01-06-2010   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 82 vidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enough

does your trunk still have that ghetto rattle?
also did you cover the grills with the flaps behind on the sides of the trunk behind the factory carpeting? if they arent covered up they can give you a rattle like an old car lol

////Alpine, Morel Elate 6 3way, Tempo 6coaxials, Ultimo 12, Zed Audio Amplifiers
vidizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 arrivalanche is on a distinguished roadarrivalanche is on a distinguished roadarrivalanche is on a distinguished roadarrivalanche is on a distinguished roadarrivalanche is on a distinguished road

You have a little Second Skin hanging out of the lid cover. That would drive me nuts, please cut it off. lol
arrivalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 krouchchocolate will become famous soon enoughkrouchchocolate will become famous soon enoughkrouchchocolate will become famous soon enoughkrouchchocolate will become famous soon enoughkrouchchocolate will become famous soon enoughkrouchchocolate will become famous soon enough

nice RF amp man. I have the T20001bd series.
krouchchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
your house, creeping up behind you
Position:
Installer/ Sales

Rep Power: 80 AdamTaylor will become famous soon enoughAdamTaylor will become famous soon enoughAdamTaylor will become famous soon enoughAdamTaylor will become famous soon enoughAdamTaylor will become famous soon enoughAdamTaylor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivalanche View Post
You have a little Second Skin hanging out of the lid cover. That would drive me nuts, please cut it off. lol
yeah, you too?

06 350Z MT: Premier F90BT, MS-8 H.A.T. L1-R2, L4-LE & L6-SE, 2x IDMAX 10, ImageDynamics 2x Q1200.1, 2x Q450.4, Tsunami 1/0AWG, Kinetik HC2000
350Z Build
AdamTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

Ive finished deadening the trunk, picks are uploading to photobucket and I will post them later. And im also going to go and trim that little bit of second skin sticking out on the trunk lid haha
Old 01-10-2010   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 82 vidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enough

cj u didnt answer my question..

cuz im also doing a build and im quite a while away from isntallin speakers or amp..so im quite interested in that..
was the dampening u put on ur trunk lid enough to keep awau that nasty trunk rattle ?

////Alpine, Morel Elate 6 3way, Tempo 6coaxials, Ultimo 12, Zed Audio Amplifiers
vidizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 Serious Sam will become famous soon enoughSerious Sam will become famous soon enoughSerious Sam will become famous soon enoughSerious Sam will become famous soon enoughSerious Sam will become famous soon enoughSerious Sam will become famous soon enough

Nice ride.
IMO, you can cut down on any rattling by firing the sub into the cabin instead of into the trunk itself. It'll give better performance as well. Some might argue with that, but I think a sub otta fire into the cabin than firing away - especially in a bass-sapping trunk like BMW's. Believe me, I own the same car. You can fire that thru the ski hole, and still port it through the same hole.
But, if you like, then stay with it. That's what sound is all about - what you want.
Serious Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidizzle View Post
cj u didnt answer my question..

cuz im also doing a build and im quite a while away from isntallin speakers or amp..so im quite interested in that..
was the dampening u put on ur trunk lid enough to keep awau that nasty trunk rattle ?
Sorry, yes I put it there to get rid of the trunk rattle
Old 01-11-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

Here are the pics, cleared out the trunk:

And finished laying down the Second Skin in the trunk:

Also, my Boston's came today!

Old 01-11-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

On-axis mounting hardware

Various tweeter mounting hardware pieces

The tweeter

Finally, the crossovers

Old 01-12-2010   #13

DIYMA freshman

My amp for the Boston's and ring terminals came in today. I have all my equipment and will start building sometime this week.

Old 01-16-2010   #14

DIYMA freshman

Update, here is what I got done today. Cut into the driver side door:

And put two layers of electical tape on the edges:

Here it is with the window closed, its about 1/2" of space from the door panel:

I also soldered all my wires

4 awg

1/0 awg

Old 01-17-2010   #15

DIYMA freshman

Alright here are the pics for the passenger door panel. First I cut a lot of little holes

Then I went in and snipped the connectors with tin snips

There is a wiring harness right behind a section where I drilled through, had to be carefull

Then I put a double layer of electrical tape down

Old 01-21-2010   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 Beyond Silence will become famous soon enoughBeyond Silence will become famous soon enoughBeyond Silence will become famous soon enoughBeyond Silence will become famous soon enoughBeyond Silence will become famous soon enoughBeyond Silence will become famous soon enough

don´t just put tape on that cut out edge, you have to put some sort of rust protection on that. at least some paint

My Installs click
Beyond Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 75 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

I would wrap those jagged edges with some of the black door gaurd stuff you can buy at pep boys/autozone etc

Or even better get in there with a diegrinder and get those things smooth

Plus like was stated before you NEED to do something to prevent rust or in a few years you will be buying new doors

Buy my stuff
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for the heads up on the doors, here is a little update, tweeter pods

Old 01-28-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 73 FLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished roadFLYONWALL9 is on a distinguished road

A bunch of nice looking gear you have.....

Question
Where did you get your 1/0 and how much did you pay per foot? I too am in need of some and am trying to better 4.25per foot, that I have already found.

Thanks, keep up the good work
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post
A bunch of nice looking gear you have.....

Question
Where did you get your 1/0 and how much did you pay per foot? I too am in need of some and am trying to better 4.25per foot, that I have already found.

Thanks, keep up the good work
I got all my wires from KnuKonceptz, great wire and their 1/0 is only 3.40 per foot, I HIGHLY recommend them.

Big Update, everything is installed and working! Right now I am just tuning the crossover between the sub and components and also tuning the comps. My trunk is a rats nest right now, but Im in the process of building a new box/ amp rack to fit all this equipment in my limited trunk Here are some pics, I'll upload some more later.

I used the stock 16ga speaker wire for the woofers

And then I applied to Second Skin. I kept on putting down layers in rattling spot until there was no more resonance, up to three layers at some spots. But now my doors are dead silent

Didn't take any pics of the building of my door pods, but they are covered in layers of rustoleom for moisture protection. Here is the drivers side

And the passengers side

The tweeters are mounted in the stock locations, aimed slightly up and towards the opposite seats (passenger tweet aimed towards driver seat and vise versa). This gives a great image, voices sound centered and coming from the bottom center of the windshield. I do have a little alternator whine problem, but thats just because I need to work out the ground. Overall I am highly pleased with the bostons, I ended up putting the tweeters at -4db because they were to profound at first, but they sound excellent now.
Old 02-20-2010   #21

DIYMA freshman

Oh and I also trimmed that deadener that was sticking out on the trunk lid, but I don't have a pic of it right now.
Old 03-09-2010   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 89 reker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enough

Hope you can get the 3sixty working. I have a 2000 323i and had problems with it. I think because of the balanced signal which the 3sixty doesn't handle too well. Someone has a detailed post on this on this at the e46forum website.

Right now, I'm using a Navone passive LOC. Problem solved but no 3sixty features.

"The Universe is shaped exactly like the Earth if you go straight long enough you end up where you were." Modest Mouse
reker13 is offline   Reply With Quote