LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010   #26
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 73 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thunder's 2009 Camry SE build log - from the gound up..

Onward, back to the engine bay to finish.. I ran the cable from Alt to battery.. There was not a real good spot to route.. Damn bracket holding the ECU needed some work..

Some cutting and grinding the edges work and space has been created.. Probably don't need the cable route holder on left, but what the hell..

Power cable to rear of car, small space in Wire wrap for grommet in firewall to tighten down on..

Alright.. the "Big 6" is done.. I'll be putting up some more pics shortly.. Also, after paging thru the electrical diagrams from Toyota, the FACTORY charging Wire to battery is pathetic. 12AWG? seriously? I'll show a picture soon..

Onto the new fuse panel..

The Build - Version 2 - Wiring by Stinger (power & speaker), Audison (block) and WestCo (Custom Interconnects)
Thunderplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 73 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

A Toyota WTF moment..

So, I was going thru the factory wires and ABOUT to tin the lead on the factory joke of a charge Wire to the battery (it is in FACT 12awg, see picture next to 1/0)
So, I figured I would take up some slack and cut it down a bit.

Now THIS is the part that makes me wonder.. after removing the factory fabric wrap, excess electrical tape, I come upon this heavily heat shrinked area, so I cut the HS off and I was dumb founded. It is ACTUALLY a 5-6awg cable crimped down to a 12awg (about 6 inches long) and to the battery..

This concludes my Toyota WTF moment..

More pics tomrorow..

The Build - Version 2 - Wiring by Stinger (power & speaker), Audison (block) and WestCo (Custom Interconnects)
Old 04-21-2010   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 106 scooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enoughscooter99 will become famous soon enough

Brought to you by TOYOTAWTF RADIO!!!

BWAHHAHAHAHA!!! Well considering all the ish that toyota's going through on what appears to be continued flaws, which really translate into corners cut, does this really surprise you? I'm surprised that you didn't have a fire with that kind of application. WOW! Well I'm assuming you're gonna address that right away? I would track it back to the source and replace the whole wire. Acutally I did do that on my civic. WOW, simply WOW!

The flavor of my Kool-Aid is CHERRY! And yes I am the Kool-Aid MAN!

1994 Ford F350 Build Log

2006 Honda Civic Ex
scooter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #29

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
My garage
Position:
Lone guy

Rep Power: 64 Greg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enough

I believe that 12-ga section has the fusible link in it. That's why it is so small. On a side not it's really amazing how much your Camry engine bay looks like my Scion xB engine bay, down to where everything is mounted and run.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #30
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Greg,

The Scion and the 4cyl Camry EXACT setup, same engine.. Only thing I did was swap the battery out for opposite +/- positions. Worked better for the fusing of everything..
I did check that 12awg wire, unless the fuse is buried in the wire, it was just a straight wire. I know in the engine bay JB that the Wire to battery is fused at 75 amps.
Does not really matter anyways as I now have the Alt to battery on 1/0..

Old 04-22-2010   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
I hadn't thought to use starboard for the fuse mount. Think I might have to use your idea and get some instead of making one out of steel like I had planned.
What's starboard? I'm planning on using a black 1/4" cutting board I got at IKEA.
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 wiseman454 will become famous soon enoughwiseman454 will become famous soon enoughwiseman454 will become famous soon enoughwiseman454 will become famous soon enoughwiseman454 will become famous soon enoughwiseman454 will become famous soon enough

Its a fusable link dude. Crimped by design.
wiseman454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 Shelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
What's starboard? I'm planning on using a black 1/4" cutting board I got at IKEA.
1/4" X 24" X 54" WHITE KING STARBOARD POLYMER HDPE - eBay (item 260418175534 end time May-22-10 08:34:58 PDT)

It is a composite material which is found in 3/4" and 1" thickness which can be cut just like MDF. It makes for great baffles for speakers that wont be affected by wetness in the doors.

To the OP, great work on a beautiful Magentic Gray Camry. I have an 08 in the exact same color. Just a word of advice, if you are planning to get the pedal recall done to your vehicle, get it done before you install CLD, CCF and MLV. I learned that lesson the hard way when they cut away a bunch of material to install a thinner foam piece under the carpet. I am following your thread closely as I have also finished deadening, but am saving for the rest of the install. Good luck! What are you plans for the A pillars? Have you found a material that closely resembles that OEM material?
Shelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 CranberryYumYum will become famous soon enoughCranberryYumYum will become famous soon enoughCranberryYumYum will become famous soon enoughCranberryYumYum will become famous soon enoughCranberryYumYum will become famous soon enoughCranberryYumYum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter99 View Post
Brought to you by TOYOTAWTF RADIO!!!

BWAHHAHAHAHA!!! Well considering all the ish that toyota's going through on what appears to be continued flaws, which really translate into corners cut, does this really surprise you? I'm surprised that you didn't have a fire with that kind of application. WOW! Well I'm assuming you're gonna address that right away? I would track it back to the source and replace the whole wire. Acutally I did do that on my civic. WOW, simply WOW!
SCOOTER99WTF!

you're out of your element, donny. talking smack about toyota's cut corners and talk up honda.. toyota is miles ahead of all companies in quality. have you ever heard of delorean? gm ford and chrysler tried to do the same to toyota. if you aren't smart enough to put your foot on the brake or put your Car in neutral you don't deserve to drive. hondas have had numerous recalls that weren't given anything close to the attention toyota has received. in 06-07 there were issues with the brakes locking up at 60+mph. would you rather have a Car that speeds up that can be controlled by a competent individual or a car that locks up with no chance of regaining control?

yes, it's a fusible link. many car manufactures use it. it's a safety precaution.

keep buying into what the government is feeding you. because the news is all true. especially fox news.

i'm sorry op. i had to

www.SparksAI.com*
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service*
DIYMA members receive 10% off their entire order with Code: DIYMA10 *
CranberryYumYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 sydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enough

very nice progress...

indeed unusual step down on the charge wire, but also at that length and constant load 12wga might be technically enough to do the job for an OEM set up. (?)

Sydmonster, downunder.
sydmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbrain View Post
1/4" X 24" X 54" WHITE KING STARBOARD POLYMER HDPE - eBay (item 260418175534 end time May-22-10 08:34:58 PDT)

It is a composite material which is found in 3/4" and 1" thickness which can be cut just like MDF. It makes for great baffles for speakers that wont be affected by wetness in the doors.

To the OP, great work on a beautiful Magentic Gray Camry. I have an 08 in the exact same color. Just a word of advice, if you are planning to get the pedal recall done to your vehicle, get it done before you install CLD, CCF and MLV. I learned that lesson the hard way when they cut away a bunch of material to install a thinner foam piece under the carpet. I am following your thread closely as I have also finished deadening, but am saving for the rest of the install. Good luck! What are you plans for the A pillars? Have you found a material that closely resembles that OEM material?
Mag Grey FTW!...*Please Post Your Work Over At ''TOYONATION.COM''*.... With the SE grill...
strong*I*bumpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #37
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I LOVE Starboard...I've used it throughout my install.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #38
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Quote:
No problem there.. I had the pedal work done awhile back and I am doing the floor absolutely last, after the install is completed.. Not a big deal for me like the doors and roof and rear of the car.. As for the color, I think the Mag Gray is the best color I have seen out there.. My Wife has a Shadow Mica 4Runner and I WISH the Camry came in that color, but I like this the best..
As far as the pillars, I made pods, but might be modding them a little.. and through COUNTLESS samples, I have finally found a match to the ash interior of the Camry. Obcon (R/T enterprises) Grill cloth in light gray.. It is scary how close the pattern of the cloth and plastic are, color is a little lighter, but the best I can find.. You will see shortly, these are next.

As a side note.. Used my favorite polish on the Wife's Car this weekend (Zaino, been using it for 15 years) Stuff STILL amazes me every time.. And this is only a fraction (one coat Z5 and one of Z2 then Z6) of what I will be doing to my Car on Memorial day weekend.. Love this stuff..

Ok.. Back to install pictures... Everyone loves pictures..

Old 04-26-2010   #39
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Alright, back to build..

Fusible link.. Yep. I picked up a 12ga FL Wire the other day, but not sure I want to put it back into the loop. I know it serves as a safety precaution, but something REALLY BAD has to go wrong in order for this to melt.. Might just throw it in so I don't catch crap from the dealer if an issue ever arises..

Alright, the "Big 6" is done.. Every factory and Big 3 cable in place.. (You can see the cable where I cut out the FL) Side posts for factory, top for Big 3. Clean engine bay.. Might alter the starboard mount just a tad for additional clearance for the 1/0 cables..
I am also going to fab a new battery hold down with some 7075 aluminum.. This one does not work for me..

Ok.. To the rear deck and rip out the JBL speakers..

Cover up the large holes with Dynaplate (This stiff is like adding a steel panel in the Car when applying to the back of a sheet of roadkill and adding a second layer. Solid.

Some CCF for the top, glued down by weldwood and done! Back to stock look.. I also ripped out the trunk light (absolutely useless) and I have the wires laying there. I am going to throw in a 4ft led strip to replace..

Old 04-26-2010   #40
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Also put in the new fuse panel for the electronics.. I have temp screws holding it in place for the moment, they will be replaced by small bolts as soon as I can get access to the vent on the drivers side (soon) This allows me to skip the factory wiring and electrical completely. I will be powering the HU, audio control devices and possibly some lighting from here. It is 10GA to battery (with 25amp at battery) and then anywhere from 16 to 14ga at the block out..

Grounding strap.. best place I could find that was close to frame welds. Dremel off the paint and shine the metal..

Trunk wiring for Power completed. Following up with Speaker Wire next (already tech flexed)

Started cutting the wood last night, will have some new pictures shortly.. Also, starting A-Pillar work.

Old 05-02-2010   #41

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 .BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough

subbed!

I have ot invest in some CCF when i finish doing my rolla.
.BNO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

are you doing an IB install for the sub? if not, you may want to consider leaving the rear deck Speaker holes opened so bass has an easy path back to you. i saw that you had covered them up, so thought i would mention it.. things look good so are, keep it up
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Looking good! I really liked the MLK165's very creative going to 3 way w/ HL70.
How are you going to mount your Sub+(s)???

The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice...

RD Lainge
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #44
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It's available in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 1.5 inches. It's also available in White, Black, and a grayish blue, IIRC.

Ebay search username "acesany"

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Silver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enough

Why use a circuit breaker and fuse holder?
Silver & Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #46
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver & Black View Post
Why use a circuit breaker and fuse holder?
One for Big 3 other for system.. Always need a fuse betwwen the alt and battery..

Quick battery mod done.. took the factory hold down, added some 7075 using jbweld, prime, match to car, clear & stinger emblem.. Not bad..
Plus holds down the YT real good..

Been working on the woodwork, going a little slow, but going..

Subs will be in .801 selaed enclosures, basket out.. More to come..

Old 05-03-2010   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Silver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enoughSilver & Black will become famous soon enough

Looks good. I've never seen someone use a circuit fuse for the big 3. What does the big 3 consist of for the Power wire. I know its battery to alternator, starter, and what else?
Silver & Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 sydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver & Black View Post
What does the big 3 consist of for the Power wire. I know its battery to alternator, starter, and what else?
Actually the big 3 is a generalized conundrum..
I suggest it should be more like 4
1. uprated cable from - terminal to cars ground/chassis
2. uprated cable from + terminal to cars main alternator output
3. uprated cable from - terminal to cars engine ground(s)
4. uprated cable from + terminal to starter or main fuseable link
No4 is optional, but in reality, on most modern cars the only really necessary one for SQ based system is No1. Your factory wiring for charging, running & starting circuit is already good enough on more than the majority of cars.

sorry for O/T, this is a Build thread.

Sydmonster, downunder.

Last edited by sydmonster; 05-04-2010 at 01:37 AM..
Old 05-03-2010   #49
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

No problem... It's what I did.. Cept, I got rid of the fusible link, went right to 6 ga cable..
I know, safty precaution, but the link is still fused in JB at 75amps

Old 05-04-2010   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post
No problem... It's what I did.. Cept, I got rid of the fusible link, went right to 6 ga cable..
I know, safty precaution, but the link is still fused in JB at 75amps
I would have done the same. In fact, I really like how this Build is going. really systematic and purposeful. Thanks for sharing and keep at it.

Sydmonster, downunder.