LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010   #51
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 74 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thunder's 2009 Camry SE build log - from the gound up..

Alright..

Been working on the trunck woodwork, took a brake and "re-did" the front door. I had it "OK" sealed for testing my ML165s out, now I wanted to bring it to the next level, "ULTRA" sealed. Some of th epics were from last year, but a majority is from now.

Factory door crap.. time to go..

2 factory deadening mats (2x4) on entire door. Joke. good bye.

First, Deaden the outside panel with undercoating (rubberized), add Roadkill to outside panel (again, no need to cover 100%, door is solid now) and Dynaplate all the "open" holes..

Dynaplate. I love this stuff.. First, conforms VERY nicely to door openings, easy to work with (if you use gloves, if not, it is a murder scene, blood everywhere) and 2x the plate it actually has the same thinkness as factory metal in essence adding structure to door, not just plugging hole. One piece on inside, one on outside, cover openings with a small piece of Roadkill.. Small hole done..

The Build - Version 2 - Wiring by Stinger (power & speaker), Audison (block) and WestCo (Custom Interconnects)
Thunderplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #52
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 74 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

Now, unto the larger hole.. Took a little forming with the snips, but it came out good.. Size needed was 12x17, cut done.. save all the small pieces, makes good for covering screw holes. Also, Camry had square plastic screw holders in the Speaker hold down (see above), used triple dynaplate pieces, I will drill holes in them and use that for screwing down the adapt.

Cover the door in Roadkill, cut out Speaker opening

Cover door in Dynaliner

Now, for the speaker adapt.. for ANY install, pick up some extruded rubber rope from SDS, this stuff is awesome and I used it in several places.. What I did here is cut the dynaliner about 1/2 inch back from inside speaker opening and lined with a stretched out piece of EBR and then mounted the adapt, once screwed down, It is bacially part of the door and sealed perfectly.

The Build - Version 2 - Wiring by Stinger (power & speaker), Audison (block) and WestCo (Custom Interconnects)
Old 05-09-2010   #53
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Next, cover the adapt in Dynaliner, install a piece of Dynaxorb behind opening, cut a 1/4 ring around Speaker opening (This is for extruded rubber from parts express, MUCH smaller than SDS, perfeect for mounting Speaker and sealing) and Door is ready for a new speaker..

Next, unto the door panel.. The Camry has this Poly wedge built into it, it is used for stablizing the lower glass (which is really not needed, just a precaution) when the window is down all the way.. Well.. Gone. dropped a piece or 2 of roadkill on door panel, def adds weight and takes the little vibration away.. Also, replaced the lower door light with a led.. MUCH MUCH brighter.. Very cool can see very nicely in daylight..

Tada.. Factory door again.. I will say this, just from opening, closing the door, it is much heavier and you can tel that there is alot more mass to it. Now, it is waiting on a speaker.. This same process was done to Passenger door as well. Rear doors next.

Old 05-09-2010   #54

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Mako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post
Also put in the new fuse panel for the electronics.. I have temp screws holding it in place for the moment, they will be replaced by small bolts as soon as I can get access to the vent on the drivers side (soon) This allows me to skip the factory wiring and electrical completely. I will be powering the HU, audio control devices and possibly some lighting from here. It is 10GA to battery (with 25amp at battery) and then anywhere from 16 to 14ga at the block out..

Grounding strap.. best place I could find that was close to frame welds. Dremel off the paint and shine the metal..

How are you able to bypass everything and just use the fusebox?
I'm confused by that.
Mako312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 MantaOwner will become famous soon enoughMantaOwner will become famous soon enoughMantaOwner will become famous soon enoughMantaOwner will become famous soon enoughMantaOwner will become famous soon enoughMantaOwner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How are you able to bypass everything and just use the fusebox?
He ran a new Power Wire from battery to the fusebox that he built for the new gear that wasn't in the Car from factory, pretty simple idea and nice work I would say.

T§nu

Driven by goa ::: 2010 Kia Pro cee'd
MantaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 sydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enoughsydmonster will become famous soon enough

what great & thorough work on those doors! Nicely done, at first thought, I wouldn't that way, but the results speak for themselves! very well.

Sydmonster, downunder.
sydmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #57
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmonster View Post
what great & thorough work on those doors! Nicely done, at first thought, I wouldn't that way, but the results speak for themselves! very well.
I have to tell ya, what a DIFFERENCE in the door, first, the only air holes are the drainage hole in the bottom (x3), otherwise it is sealed and good. Plus, when you open and shut the door, you can feel the difference. I had 2 small rattles in the door from god knows where, they are gone.

I am finishing the rear doors now, then shortly either today or tomorrow, the roof is next and last. That will conclude the deadening for now, then I will get back to the trunk. Plans are already under way.

Old 05-10-2010   #58
DAT
Upgrade Your Membership!

LEFT THE BUILDING

Rep Power: 351 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work Thunder!

I'm a big ol' loser.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #59

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Mako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enoughMako312 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaOwner View Post
He ran a new Power Wire from battery to the fusebox that he built for the new gear that wasn't in the Car from factory, pretty simple idea and nice work I would say.

T§nu
Ok I wasn't quite sure. I thought that's what happened.

Thunder do you have any pics of you building this or a Build log or something? This is something I could defiantly use.
Mako312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #60
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

One quick non-audio mod..

All the "silver" plastic in the Car will be wrapped in 3M DiNoc Carbon fiber wrap..
I did the handles on the doors to get an idea.. Looks damn good and blends nicely

Old 05-10-2010   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

That looks awesome! Usually I don't like the look of CF wraps, but that looks damned good.

-Trevor

trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #62
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

I like the 3M stuff the best, it is not glossy, almost flat in color. I have also found it easier to work with.. I have done a bunch of wrapping in the past and I feel it is about the direction of the fiber as well as technique It looks better in person IMO.. Plus, saves a few $$

Old 05-15-2010   #63

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 Shelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enoughShelbrain will become famous soon enough

In my Camry (same as yours), I am planning to cut out the Speaker grill from the door card and Build a frame wrapped in grill cloth. I really like the door treatment and I may "borrow" your idea on sealing the doorholes.
Shelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #64

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 .BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One quick non-audio mod..

All the "silver" plastic in the Car will be wrapped in 3M DiNoc Carbon fiber wrap..
I did the handles on the doors to get an idea.. Looks damn good and blends nicely

i really like that, never been one to do the whole carbon wrap thing(except the case on my iphone) but besides that it looks smart.

you have given me some ideas that may work with my Corolla.
.BNO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #65
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Alright.. Full deadening is done, with the exception of the floor..

Rear doors (Yes I filled the holes, why not? )

Oh yea.. And a Brithday Present from my Wife.. I love that woman..
She does not even like Car audio..

Old 05-17-2010   #66
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

And finally the roof.. Gaveme a good idea of how much plastic is in a camry..
Pain in the %$%#, but worth it..

That was the weekend.. The A-pillars are out and I had enough deading product to do under the rear seat and rear wheel weels as well, so all that is left is literally the floor..
I will be running the Speaker Wire to all the locals as well as RCAs and some other misc cables.. I will be starting the A-pillars this week once this is done, trunk work will be completed, speakers installed and ready to go..

Old 05-23-2010   #67
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Sorry all.. Been a little while on the pics.. In process of packing
and moving out of this hell hole to Colorado!! woohoo!!
So I will try to get the pillars done and photo'd

Old 05-25-2010   #68
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Ok, admist packing today.. Pillar work.. This is where I am at now..
Waiting for second pillar to fully cure..

Debating if I want to use the milkshake to fill them in or not.. The mid will be sealed.. It is about .03 CF, which is almost right on... On to sanding the first one and body filler to start smoothing out.. I am trying to get these sanded out and primed today so I can install and wrap in GC..

Old 05-25-2010   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

I like it! Are you going to strengthen with FG or just go straight to filler?

-Trevor

trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #70
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

In process of filling with milkshake (Credit to Bing) It is a Resin/short hair fiberglass mix.. Pour on inside and swish around to cover walls.. Done..
Post this is body filler..

Old 05-26-2010   #71
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Ok.. Quick change before I got too far..

Redoing the tweeter aiming.. They sound good where they are pointing, but after doing some blind testing, they sound better pointing a little higher and a tad more off axis..
So I cut out the fiberglass work above the mid (left that) and in process of cutting new rings as I type. Want to try to get this done today.. PIcs to follow..

Old 05-26-2010   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 jorgegarcia will become famous soon enoughjorgegarcia will become famous soon enoughjorgegarcia will become famous soon enoughjorgegarcia will become famous soon enoughjorgegarcia will become famous soon enoughjorgegarcia will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Redoing the tweeter aiming... they sound better pointing a little higher and a tad more off axis... So I cut out the fiberglass work above the mid (left that) and in process of cutting new rings as I type
Congratulations for knowing what needs to be done and not being afraid to do it.

Kind of curious how you went about to cutting the pods without disturbing the Mid arrangement.

Planning & Install [00%]
Parts [100%]
Buying new car. The cycle starts all over again.
jorgegarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #73
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegarcia View Post
Congratulations for knowing what needs to be done and not being afraid to do it.

Kind of curious how you went about to cutting the pods without disturbing the Mid arrangement.
Dremel.. WONDERFUL tool..

Old 05-26-2010   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 Austin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Dremel.. WONDERFUL tool..
And im sure it helped that the mid and tweet were in seperate sections on the pillar. If they were both in the same curvature it would have been a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
I had my 6-channel amp's opamp and power supply upgraded to better quality parts / grades. The SQ turned out fantastic after some burn-in. Resolution was greatly improved with excellent transparency
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #75
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

yes. It was the plan all along..

reason being is that I wanted to reduce leaks to the mid. Being a sealed mid, it will produce 3x the output.. also wanted to move the stage higher and reduce reflections. The mids are slightly angled up away from the dash.. Once I finish, it will be more apparent..