LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 strakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enough

Default Re: '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - First Build Log

I just recently installed some Second Skin speaker Tweaker pads, so I thought I'd post an update.

No pics of the pads going in, but I do think they improved the sound coming from the door speakers. The music does sound cleaner.

Can't really say there's less distortion, because there really was none to begin with. These Usher speakers are amazing in that respect. I'm really happy with how good they sound. Even being 8 ohms and not crazy high sensitivity, they can get extremely loud off my MB Quart amp and they just never distort.

While I was installing the pads, I did have to pull out the speakers so I decided to snap a few shots of the Usher 8945A compared to a 'normal size' 6.5" speaker since there aren't a whole lot of pics of the Ushers around here.

Usher on the left, random DVC 6.5" speaker on the right (and the magnet on this one isn't exactly small...)

For anyone who can fit these suckers, there's really no reason not to look into the Usher drivers. This A version is just a normal cone, and there's also a P version with a phase plug. Even without the phase plug, these play fine to 2-2.5KHz in my car. I'm happiest with them crossed low at 63Hz and high at 2KHz, with the Seas tweeters crossed at 3.2KHz, all at 12dB/oct. Check out the woofers at Parts Express.
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 50 chrisb33 will become famous soon enoughchrisb33 will become famous soon enoughchrisb33 will become famous soon enoughchrisb33 will become famous soon enoughchrisb33 will become famous soon enoughchrisb33 will become famous soon enough

any pics of the whole car, motor and the ralliart trims? im so a mitsu guy

chris b
chrisb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #28

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 56 alm001 will become famous soon enoughalm001 will become famous soon enoughalm001 will become famous soon enoughalm001 will become famous soon enoughalm001 will become famous soon enoughalm001 will become famous soon enough

That suggestion for a wall in front of, and behind the subs sounds like he wants you to have less bass.

I'm not a fan of how the amps are mounted, but I would work on getting more of that bass into the cabin before dealing with the looks.

Good to hear you are enjoying those usher mids, I want to try those (or the 8's) out soon

cd source -> amp -> speakers
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 strakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enoughstrakele will become famous soon enough

I'll get some pics of the whole car when it quits raining.

I don't plan on doing a wall - or making basically any changes - at least for a while. I'm happy with how it sounds. The amps may not be ideally mounted, but it's functional and doesn't look bad, and didn't require days of fab work or hundreds of dollars for a custom install. And believe me, PLENTY of bass can get into the cabin. I even reinstalled the old factory rear speakers to plug the holes.
Old 02-07-2011   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Alright, I know I promised pics of the car months ago. I finally remembered to snap a few the other day with my phone after my girlfriend and I got it all cleaned and waxed after a clay bar treatment.

I'll get some more better ones later and pics of the engine. I'm resurrecting this thread since I'll soon be receiving the new H-Audio AR duo, and will be installing them soon. I don't have an easy drop in spot for the AR3K's, so the most likely spot will be fiberglassed into the A-pillars. Not sure what I'd do about color or texture though, so I thought I'd get some input.

They're grey right now:

Was thinking about doing black:

Just a real quick photoshop job to kinda get a feel for it. Could be painted, vinyl wrapped, fabric wrapped, etc. Not really sure at this point. The grey that they are now matched the roof lining, so it may look kinda weird to have a different color. Grey meets black at the dash, or grey meets black at the top of the pillar.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Still a few weeks away from doing this, just trying to get it more or less planned.
Old 02-15-2011   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

This Friday I'll be installing the 6's from the new Audible Physics AR Duo. I just got the set yesterday, and according to Mark, I'm the first customer in the world to get them!

Here's some pics for now, more when I install them.

The AR6K:

The AR3K:

The Duo:

The 3's will most likely be glassed into the A-pillars once I determine how I want them aimed. This is my first time playing with a midrange/wideband driver, so I'm pretty excited. Also very interested to see how they compare to the current Usher/Seas setup, which really sounds great.

I finally got the Alpine Imprint software working last weekend, and so far I really like the results. There is a definite improvement in clarity and feeling of space. The soundstage moved up about a foot, and forward about 2 feet. Some funky stuff too though. No matter where I set the gains to start, after an Imprint run, my Alpine headunit maxes out volume to the speakers at 25 out of 35, leaving some more to be desired for softer recordings. After reading the whole Imprint thread here, I see lots of people complain about a lack of bass. This is true to an extent. A few steps down from the current max of 25 on the volume, say 22 or so, there is definitely a need for more bass. However, at least in my system, the subwoofer volume does not stop at 25 as it does for the speakers, but keeps increasing all the way up to 35. So basically, the last 10 notches of the volume control have become a bass control. Maxed out at 35, you could never complain about not enough bass. It is a little bit cool to basically be able to control the bass level without going through other settings, but the downside is that normal speaker volume has to be maxed out before you get to that point. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's annoying. I'll play with it more this weekend and see what I can figure out.

As for the Usher/Seas combo that I'm theoretically about to replace, (assuming I like the new Audible Physics stuff more, and probably will, given the rave reviews of the XR's) I'd like to say some more about them. There's quite a bit here on DIYMA about the Seas Neo textile dome tweeter, so I don't have a whole lot to add. I think it's pretty great. Very low distortion, can be crossed quite low for a small format tweeter, good power handling, easy to fit where larger ones won't, and it's only 30 bucks. In my setup, I have them crossed at 3.2KHz. There isn't a whole lot of info out there about the Usher 8945A however. It's also a fantastic speaker that continues to impress me. It's huge, as you can see from the pictures I posted earlier, but if you can fit it, it's great. Lots of people compare them to Scans. I don't have a huge list of speakers that I've heard to compare to, and I'm not going to try for all the adjectives used to describe sound. The best way I can describe them is that they did everything I ever asked them to do without a complaint. No distortion. No mechanical noise. Nothing bad. The only other set of high end speakers I used before this were Boston SPZ60s. The Bostons get the edge in bass response due to their huge excursion, and I could get a really great snare drum crack from them as well. They distorted and ran into some mechanical noise at high volume though, so I sold them. The Ushers are pure and clean up to the limit. Or my systems' limit anyway. They're 8 ohms, so I only have about 65W to them, but they got more than loud enough for me, and always sounded great doing it. Even the version without the phase plug plays fine to 2-2.5KHz in my setup. Highly recommended.

Last edited by strakele; 02-15-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Old 02-17-2011   #32
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 127 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
This Friday I'll be installing the 6's from the new Audible Physics AR Duo. I just got the set yesterday, and according to Mark, I'm the first customer in the world to get them!
Well not the world in the USA. A few of our Asian counterparts had them first.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Ah, well, first in the US is cool too!

Can't wait to get these installed tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2011   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

So yesterday started a full weekend of working on car audio stuff with my girlfriend.

On Friday, I deadened the trunk hatch and underside of the rear deck with some black Damplifier. I held off on this for a while since I didn't want the shiny silver foil all over places where it's highly visible. From a few feet back, you can hardly tell it's there:

(Atlanta people, recognize the house in the background?)

So yeah, we were up at Ryan's place, since he was helping to install a new 4 channel amp in my girlfriend's '05 Monte Carlo. After that, we went back to my place to deaden her trunk and doors. Not a whole lot of pics, but check out the obnoxiously huge gaping hole in these doors, complete with the door mechanism going through it, so you can't just plug it with a chunk of plexi or something:

Not to mention, Chevy put the releases for the plugs to the window and lock controls at the absolute worst angle possible, making it nearly impossible to get the door panel disconnected from the car.

Anyway, back to the Lancer. Ryan made some new MDF baffles, and I painted them with several coats of black to seal them from moisture. By the time I finally got all this stuff done, it was getting dark, but I wanted to get the car back together for the night, so excuse the low light pics.

Also, here's the Second Skin speaker Tweaker pads that I installed last time:

AR6K installed:

I used 8 screws for them.. just took a step back to take some pics while there were only 4.

Today I planned on tuning the system, but ended up spending the whole day trying to get a rattling issue with the subs fixed and adjusting all the DSP features on the Kenwood KAC-X4R in the Monte Carlo. Also working on dressing up the interior a little bit. Will post pics of that when it's done.

Tomorrow I'll be actually listening to the new AR's and doing some tuning. I'll also run the Imprint auto tune a few times and see what that comes up with. Can't wait to see how they compare to the Ushers. They have some big shoes to fill.. literally and figuratively.
Old 02-19-2011   #35

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 myhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enough

Wow great work. Can't wait to read your review of the AR's.

"Man I wish I could listen to some Tatooine, Wind & Fire right now."
myhikingboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

First off, I apologize for not having more to say about the AR's at this point. As you can see I have them installed and first impressions are good, but I haven't had time to devote to tuning yet. I ran the Imprint, but judging by the files it produced, it chose a 40Hz crossover point for the AR6K's, so I haven't really cranked it for obvious reasons.

Here's what I have been working on recently. The two things that started this were that the shift knob in my car was scratched to hell, and the 2 trim pieces on the dash that have a soft touch carbon fiber-esque paint on them scratch if you look at it wrong, so I wanted to refinish them both. My girlfriend also wanted to do some carbon fiber accents in her car, so we ordered some 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl. She got black, I got graphite. We tried it on some of the dash in her car, and on a couple other little things to get the feel for it:

The shift knob was aluminum colored which looked really nice, but there was nothing else in the car that matched it, so when I refinished the knob, I also did the trim ring around the base of the boot. Also notice the carbon fiber ring around the base of the knob:

You can see the AR6K through the grill in the door panel on that last one.

Today the graphite colored carbon fiber came, so I got to work and finished up the two trim pieces.

The smaller on the left side of the dash:

Compared to the black:

And then the bigger piece:

I think it came out about as perfect as I could do it. I'm very happy with the changes. They're subtle, but I think they add a nice touch.

More thorough review of the AR's coming.
Old 02-23-2011   #37

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 myhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enoughmyhikingboots will become famous soon enough

Top notch on the carbon fiber. Are you thinking about competing with your car?

Old 02-23-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 slade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enough

Great work on the Di-Noc... it's not too bad to work with as long as you can heat it a bit.

build log 08 BMW 135i
slade1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks guys. It is pretty neat stuff, and I was lucky that the pieces I wanted to do didn't have any super difficult areas.

I hadn't really planned on competing with my car, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility once I get it dialed in just right.
Old 02-25-2011   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Some quick thoughts about the AR6K:

So far they sound great. They're just mated to my Seas tweeters right now until I have Ryan fiberglass the 3's into my A-pillars. Crossed low at 63 and high at 2Khz. They're warm and detailed, a bit more than the Ushers I had in there previously. Not as much low frequency extension, but those were true 7's, so it's understandable since these are smaller. So far, it's just been my tuning with the PXA-H100 processor. The Imprint software keeps it too quiet for me, but I used the measured response graph it produced for my car to do some EQ, and I'm pretty darn pleased. They get loud and maintain their clarity very well. They have a nice snap to them, and again, I like the detail. Once I get an Imprint run that I'm happy with, I'll post more, since it really did a great job of improving the soundstage and sense of space, but so far, even without it they sound very good. I can't wait to hear them with the AR3K's and see what the Duo can really do together. Will hopefully be happening in the next few weeks.

2012 MECA Modified World Champion
Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Mosconi, Arc Audio, Clarion, Melodic Acoustic, Dynaudio, Acoustic Elegance
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Build Log
Old 02-25-2011   #41

DIYMA Novice

I'm really interested in the AR3k's, and I almost got in on the deal, but was just too skeptical at the time. I hope you get those A-pillars done sooner than later!

Old 03-01-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

So I've still been dealing with some vibrations around my rear deck, so after checking out some other Lancer build logs and seeing how to get it apart, I took the cover off my rear deck to do some more deadening. Used up the remainder of my black and silver Damplifier plugging up holes that pressurized air from the subs must have been shooting through and vibrating everything.

Also I haven't mentioned it before, but a while ago I installed those DVC speakers I posted at the top of this page in my rear deck. They're wired in series for an 8 ohm load, and connected to the same channels as my front speakers on the amp. All I have to do is open the trunk and connect one wire to each of them when I have rear seat passengers. Just for grins, back when I had the Ushers in there, I ran the Imprint with the rear speakers connected as well. Running off the same amp channels, I figured it would have no idea what to do, but I was amazed at how much it was able to move my soundstage forward. Pretty impressive.

Anyway, here's some pics from today (which turned into tonight by the time I was done.)

Tried to seal up every hole. This doesn't block bass from getting into the cabin, just helps keep stuff from vibrating.

Rear speaker on 1/4" MDF baffle with non hardening modeling clay around it to help further stop vibrations.

Mat back over the Damplifier.

This worked helped quite a bit. I think it's about time for a new sub enclosure though. This one is from eBay...

I'm considering changing to a single high power 15" sub that's not ridiculously deep and building a long shallow box across the whole trunk to free up some space, and then doing a proper amp rack. Also will start playing with the AR3K's this weekend. It'll be nice to see what kind of midbass the AR6K's can dish out once they're not being asked to play up to 2.5KHz.

Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Mosconi, Arc Audio, Clarion, Melodic Acoustic, Dynaudio, Acoustic Elegance
Old 03-01-2011   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Also, I'm realizing I don't have a lot of before and after pictures for all this, so here's just one of the small trim piece that I wrapped with the carbon fiber stuff.

Before:

After:

As you can see, the old finish was more grey than black, so I'm glad I went with the graphite colored carbon fiber instead of black. Here's a pic from by practice run using the black CF. I think it would have made the dash too dark.

All for now.

Old 03-02-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Tonight I finally got an Imprint run that I'm pretty happy with. It's still quieter, and the last 10 volume notches is still only bass volume, but whatever. It really sounds good. I want to get it so it's the volume I want around 20 or 25 so I don't have to crank it up as much. I get some noise floor issues when the volume is maxed out.

I've said it before but it bears repeating, the AR's are detailed. I heard a thing or two that I hadn't heard in my music before tonight. Didn't mess with it for way too long since it's already really late and I have class in the morning, but I like what I heard. Mark has said that the AR3K's are also very detailed, so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the Duo play together.

I think I'm going to take that black rubber mat out of the rear deck. It doesn't really serve a purpose and I think that is causing some vibrations. I'm super picky with vibrations. For some reason, A/C noise, road noise, engine noise, etc. don't bother me too much, but the slightest vibration drives me crazy.

Old 03-05-2011   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm posted most of this in the AR Duo review thread, but I wanted to post my initial impressions of the AR Duo here as well.

Tonight I tried out the whole AR Duo with the 3K's magnetized to my A-pillars and towels stuffed around them, aimed about how I plan to have them when they're glassed into the pillars.

Left side:

When they're installed for real, they won't be aiming quite this low.

This was just how they wanted to sit, using the 3K's magnet to stick to the frame.

Right side:

I don't miss tweeters at all either. They sound great. It took a song or 2 to get used to having so much of the sound coming from one place, but it's really very neat.

I started out with the AR6K's crossed low at 63Hz / 24dB and high at 315Hz / 12dB, and the AR3K's crossed low at 315Hz / 24dB. I later bumped the LPF of the woofers up to 500Hz to get some more drum attack out of the bigger cones.

Then I ran the Imprint auto tune software in my car and listened to a whole lot of stuff. The soundstage has a great height and had a more open feeling than I was expecting after reading about people still wanting to add tweeters to add that bit of airy-ness to the top end. I was impressed. I can definitely see why people say the 3K's sound great on strings - I definitely agree. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, or an orchestra sound very detailed and lifelike.

I need to re-run the auto tune with all the EQ and levels turned flat, since I'm not sure if it takes any of it into account when it runs.. sometimes it seems like it does. I'm also going to try a HPF of 250Hz for the AR3Ks.

So far with just a quick tune and some towels stuffed behind them, I'm definitely liking how the AR3K's sound at the base of my A-pillars, and the AR6K's in my doors. Can't wait to get them installed for real. That'll be happening in 2 weeks, probably along with a more compact subwoofer system.

Old 03-05-2011   #46

DIYMA Novice

Lightbulb Re: '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - First Build Log

Sweet! Man it must be some sort of torture to have to wait! I just saw "It Might Get Loud," on Blu-ray and I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in the electric guitar or just guitar playing in general. Anyway it just added more pain to my own torture, until I can start building my own system. Maybe I can afford to sound deaden my doors... that’s a start.

Last edited by myhikingboots; 03-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2011   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Heh, yeah I can't wait to get this all done. And hey, deadening is definitely a good place to start..

Old 03-09-2011   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Big updates coming next week. AR3K's in pillars, new subs/enclosure, new amp mounting.

In the meantime... recommend photo hosting with more bandwidth?

Old 03-10-2011   #49

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 54 brocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enoughbrocken will become famous soon enough

I use photobucket. I've had the account for years and tons of photo's and still haven't run out of free space.

Where's the pics man! I want to see your AR's in the pillars.
What subs did you change to?
brocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm not out of space... just bandwidth. I guess I just need to make my pictures smaller so every time someone opens this thread it's not trying to download megs and megs of pictures.

Spring break starts end of next week... that's when all the work will be done.

Highly considering a pair of Dayton HO 12's in a shallow ported enclosure that extends all the way across the trunk. Haven't for sure made up my mind though... but I need to very soon.