DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

'04 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - First Build Log

218K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  strakele 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm now on the 4th and best iteration of my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart build, and I figured I'd share it with you guys. It's nothing fancy, just a solid build with good equipment that I think will sound really good when it's done.

Quick info about the car:

The Ralliart is the step down from the Evo. It's got a bigger motor, better suspension, better transmission, and some cosmetic upgrades as compared to a normal Lancer. No turbo, no AWD. It's got a 110a alternator, and came with an Infinity system with speakers in the doors and rear deck, tweeters in the A-pillars, and an 8 inch sub in the trunk all powered by a small amp under the drivers seat. I started last year with a pair of Alpine Type R 10's, a Kenwood amp, and an Alpine deck. I later changed out the front and rear speakers with Alpine Type S components and coax's, and then finally added a 4 channel amp. I also ran a set of bi-wired Boston SPZ60's for a while.

This semester at college, I decided it was time for a revamp, so here goes:

One of the only things staying is the Alpine CDA-9884 head unit. I chose this deck because of Alpine's great iPod interface, good price, features I wanted, and it almost looks like it SHOULD be there. I like to keep things low key - I didn't want it to be painfully obvious I have any kind of stereo mods. The 9884 matches the color of my interior almost perfectly, and the ability to make the blue buttons light up red matches the rest of the gauges in my car as well.

iPod cable runs to the glove box:

In the daylight, the red LED behind the blue buttons makes them a little purple, but whatever.

The 9884 is also one of the first series to support Alpine IMPRINT, so I picked up one of these processors for EQ, time alignment, and active crossovers. I haven't bought the tuning kit to run Audyssey's MultEQ, but I may at some point. After trying a couple different spots, Ryan (slade1274) helped me pull the head unit and install the processor behind the glove box. (And by helped, I mean I basically watched him do it, then went to wire and install the subs.) I had never pulled my dash before, so it was a great learning experience for me, especially since I had to pull the deck myself a few hours later to flip the 3 little switches on the bottom of the head unit that allow it to do important things like PRODUCE SOUND when the processor is added. Alpine just forgot to tell anyone about them.

See less See more
#876 ·
Yeah. In my previous install with the tweeters on axis in the sail panels, they did localize more, and sounded more... choked. Now it's more open, wider, more spacious. It works quite well. One of the biggest positive differences, really. Can't take credit for the idea though. Todd came up with that one, and I made it work in my car.

#882 ·
Imaging is just as good if not better. Time alignment is the same level of difficulty.

The tune is completely different since I also changed the tweeter drivers as well as the install.

#883 ·
Interesting tweeter integration. I remember hearing and seeing Ally's in a similar design by firing off of the window glass in an angle that puts the reflection coming from the side view mirror area. Good width in the Monte as well.

#886 ·
Tough to say exactly, but the mids probably would be happier with more airspace directly around them.

I don't try to run them down super low. 250 or 300 they do just fine

#888 ·
With the windows down? No, with the windows down there is nothing for them to reflect off so all the sound goes right out the window and none of it to your ear. It's like not having tweeters at all.

I've driven this car for 8 years and never driven more than a few minutes with the windows down, and that's not about to change, so I'm not worried. But it is a limitation of this type of install.

#889 ·
So, barring any equipment failures or miraculous new products* this build is pretty much done. I know I've said that before, but at least for the next year, it's for real. With pilot training ramping up intensity every week, I'm not going to be doing any more big projects on this car. I do intend to make a tune or two with a further back seating position, but that's about it. I can absolutely say the car sounds the best it ever has, and I'm very happy with it.

I'll be around to answer any questions and I'll probably post some more graphs if anyone is interested. But v6.0 of the system is done.

*This includes: a company making a head unit that I don't hate or Stereo Integrity or Kravchenko or someone making a shallow, long throw 7.5" midbass.

#893 ·
Cool, thanks for that. I wish there were more reviews out there that gave useful data like that.

At this point, the Dyns are staying where they are. The midbass in the Lancer certainly doesn't suck.

Now if I want ridiculous midbass, I'll just listen to the truck. Ported 12" midbass on 250W each > any 6.5 or 8" ever made :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.