LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 chuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enough

Default Thanks DIYMOBILEAUDIO -- Finished Pics

Hey guys, I just want to thank all of your for your help, support, and most of all, great prices on used equipment. This system went in my father's Chevy Avalanche and everything except the wiring was purchased from members of this community to stay within a $500 budget. It's been installed for a few months now but I finally got around to taking some photos. Take a look and see how it turned out...

Equipment
(specs are a little foggy since some gear was purchased over 6 months ago...correct me if I'm wrong about any of this)

Amplifier: NeXT 5-channel 4x30 +1x200 ($145 shipped)
Subwoofer: NeXT 10" ($30 shipped)
Speakers: Dayton Woofers, Seas tweeters (I think), with pods ($215 shipped)
Crossover: PPI X3 3-way crossover ($26 shipped)
Interconnects: Short runs made from CAT5 and Street wires end caps ($13 shipped). Long runs purchased from KnuKoncepts
Other wiring: purchased from KnuKonceptz
Total thus far: $429.

I think the order was about $50 from KnuKonceptz and I spend $50 on a PAC OEM-2 line out converter (could have got one cheaper but I wanted it to be plug-and-play). Then I spent a little more for supplies at Parts Express, Home Depot, and the local fabric store. So the total was probably around $600. Of course, it is wired and ready to go if/when my Dad wants to upgrade the head unit (currently the weakest link in the system).

Ok ok, enough with the mumbo jumbo, How about some pics?

Stock head unit left in place to save money

Remote bass knob above traction control button.

Just an FYI, this wasn't the first time I've installed audio gear before. It was however the first time I pieced together DIY speakers and bought non-car-audio components. It is my second active setup (I am running DLS Iridiums in a 4-way active setup in my car)

PPI DCX-730 / DLS A5+A8 / TBI TWEP51 / DLS Iridium 6 / DLS OA12 / Work Log
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #2

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
art of noise audio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 117 robbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enoughrobbyho will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to robbyho

Default Re: Thanks DIYMOBILEAUDIO -- Finished Pics

wow, for $600 that is pretty sweet! Of course all the fabrication work would probably quadruple that, but I'm sure you do it cause you love it.

One question, why is the mid recessed so much but the tweeter isn't at all?

Rob

www.artofnoiseaudio.com

pm me for anything from PartsExpress at wholesale prices
robbyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 AzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enough

Those are beautiful pods...and yes those are the Seas 27tdfc tweeters...

Do you have Build pics of the short runs where you used Cat 5 cable?

That amp-sub cover piece doesnt quite fit to cover the amp-processor area, you can see a small line...but thats just me being anal.

**FOR NOW**
Stock 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 (Sad to say with Bose system <--the wifey's choice)
AzGrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 stormtrooper will become famous soon enoughstormtrooper will become famous soon enoughstormtrooper will become famous soon enoughstormtrooper will become famous soon enoughstormtrooper will become famous soon enoughstormtrooper will become famous soon enough

Nice job, dad should be happy....plus you can buy him a HU for father's day...lol
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #5

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGrower
Those are beautiful pods...and yes those are the Seas 27tdfc tweeters...

Do you have Build pics of the short runs where you used Cat 5 cable?

That amp-sub cover piece doesnt quite fit to cover the amp-processor area, you can see a small line...but thats just me being anal.
where i missed this and i am picky???? great job man looks awesome for a diy job

saw this and had to put it here:
you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

--with enough hot glue you can install anything"
zfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 ocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enough

That is some great work. Very skilled install. Dad should be proud.
ocuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #7

Banned

12V Company:
cry baby labs
Position:
little girl

Rep Power: 0 |Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch will become famous soon enough

Dude that's awsome! Nice install and a nice PPI X3 you got there.

Ryan
|Tch0rT| = ANTS Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

i need some custom work
great job, my testicles just shrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
but a little weed can make a difference to critical listening.
legend94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 117 shinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enoughshinjohn will become famous soon enough

Dude,
Nice job. True DIY and budget setup. Great craftsmanship!!!!

So... how does it sound?

shinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

The Anti-Rice

Rep Power: 129 unpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enough

wow....what is the final beauty ring made out of????1.5" ABS plastic?
unpredictableacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 rcurley55 will become famous soon enoughrcurley55 will become famous soon enoughrcurley55 will become famous soon enoughrcurley55 will become famous soon enoughrcurley55 will become famous soon enoughrcurley55 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfactor
where i missed this and i am picky???? great job man looks awesome for a diy job
my only guess is that the gap around the x-over isn't 100000% perfect - looks to be off on the top edge - but that's being ocd.

I REALLY like that install - except for lack of grilles on the front components. The way you trimmed out the amp/sub is just beautiful
rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #12

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 fit_tuner will become famous soon enoughfit_tuner will become famous soon enoughfit_tuner will become famous soon enoughfit_tuner will become famous soon enoughfit_tuner will become famous soon enoughfit_tuner will become famous soon enough

omfg, that looks sooooooo nice! slick and it looks pretty slick, simple, nothing flashy, but it gets the job done, good job!
fit_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 125 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Looks great! Get some grills over those mids and tweets!
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 AzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enoughAzGrower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpredictableacts
wow....what is the final beauty ring made out of????1.5" ABS plastic?
Nope my guess is just plain ole' sealed and painted mdf. Of course sanded down like a mofo and painted with automotive grade paint...

**FOR NOW**
Stock 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 (Sad to say with Bose system <--the wifey's choice)
Old 01-14-2007   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 khail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfactor
If you look at the top left of this pic, you can barely see where the corner of the trim board shows, past the edge of the darker round trim piece. Hard to see unless you look closely. It's a very nice looking install, and very functional. Looks like you used barely any cargo/passenger space.

Alpine 7998*Phass MW160*Clarion APA4320*Peerless 2"*Seas Neo*Next VRz4.400*OZ ME12*PG x400.1

Premier 860MP*PG Zeropoint ZCS6*Pioneer SW-2541D*Sony ES XM-5046
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I like the way the front stage is exposed...but then again I am partial to them since I made them

**FOR NOW**
Old 01-14-2007   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 156 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Very clean.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T400-2 - Boston g5 10"
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #18

Banned

Rep Power: 0 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

wish i could see the pics. all red Xs for me. stupid miltary firewall. I will check it out when i get home!
bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 106 evan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enough

Looks killer! What is the shape of the sub enclosure?

-Evan
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 111 rekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enoughrekd0514 will become famous soon enough

Very nice install! You did a great job.
rekd0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 156 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

The pods also look amazing. For some reason that picture didn't show up earlier. I would just feel uneasy having those unprotected soft domes. Suprised you didnt go with the metal dome seas with the grills or the dayton rs.

Also, how is that next sub? What made you chose that sub?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T400-2 - Boston g5 10"
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 chuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enough

Khail19, what you are seeing is actually a square of vinyl that I accidentally cut out while looking for the hole for the push pins. You can see in the photo below how close the two spots are. What I was feeling when I made the accidental cut was a screw used to mount the baffle to the rest of the box.

The vinyl trim piece is completely hidden by the painted trim piece, which as you guessed, is 3/4" MDF, routered, sanded, primed, and painted with automotive paint (spray cans). The fit and finish of everything is about as close as I could possibly want to get while using Vinyl (so +/- 1/16 of an inch). It is snug. I'll take your criticism as a compliment...since you couldn't find anything larger to discuss

As for grills, I kind of wish there were grills for the tweeters but I told my Dad he just had to be careful. That could be a possible future improvement...but that would add more money to the budget.

How does it sound? Well the head unit kind of kills some of the SQ but the bass is pretty solid. Each time I go over I tinker with the crossover points a bit. The bass is obviously coming from the rear so that is something I need to work on.

Old 01-14-2007   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 118 coffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of light

Man that looks better than many "pro" installs that I have seen around town. I especially like the use of a budget and sticking to it. Sometimes it's fun to say "I have $xx to spend and not a penny more" then see what happens to your creativity! That's why I have dollar amounts behind my cars', hope to show others that a good stereo need not be real expensive.

I'd let you work on my Car anytime!

Great job.
Kris

Daily: 2012 NCP131 Yaris SE (Vitz RS)
Toys: 1999 EM1 | 1993 EH2
coffee_junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
Looks killer! What is the shape of the sub enclosure?
Sorry, I missed this question. Because it was raining, I didn't get any shots of the rear. It is completely covered in Bed-liner because at times it could be exposed to the elements. The box is a two-parter. There is a back portion that runs the lenth of the amp rack and a front portion that is just to make the subwoofer flush with the tops of the amps. See the attached drawing I sketched up in mspaint. The total volume is about 0.75 cuft and I added two braces along the back half and a little bit of polyfill.
Attached Images
File Type: gif AvalancheBox.GIF (2.4 KB, 90 views)

Old 01-15-2007   #25
Arc
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 Arc will become famous soon enoughArc will become famous soon enoughArc will become famous soon enoughArc will become famous soon enoughArc will become famous soon enoughArc will become famous soon enough

Is there any chance that you could ellaborate more on the construction of the rca's? I am going to makeing some for my Car and the only way I have seen require $60 crimpers and stripers.
Also any links to where you got any ideas.
Thanks.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote