LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 KMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up 2010 Ford Expedition Install

Hey everyone - I haven't done an install in over 10 years, but thought I'd give it a go in my new ride!

It is a really simple install compared to some of the builds here, but it sounds great and is mostly hidden...

I kept the factory Stereo / Nav / Rear Entertainment system for many reasons, but one main one is the Sync stuff from Microsoft - I love it!

Here is my list of things I installed:
JL audio CleanSweep CL-SSI - Signal Summing Interface
JL audio CleanSweep CL-441dsp - Digital Signal Processor
JL Audio HD900/5 - Middle / Rear / Sub Amp
JL Audio HD600/4 - Bridged - Front Amp
JL Audio ZR570-CSi - Front Speakers
JL Audio ZR570-CSi - Middle Speakers
JL Audio ZR650-CSi - Rear Speakers
JL Audio CVS112RG-W6v2 - Subwoofer

I also used JL's battery blocks, fuse blocks, cable, etc...
I Wanted to keep it all the same, made it nice and easy!

Last edited by KMC123; 07-12-2010 at 04:32 PM..
KMC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 KMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enoughKMC123 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Ford Expedition Install

Some more pics:

The rear speakers were the hardest - Nothing existed there before, so I had to cut the holes in the trim and the metal behind it. You can see I removed the factory sub / enclosure and used the space for the SSI and DSP, as well as the Amps and the rear crossovers.
Old 07-12-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Some closer looks at the use of space:

Old 07-12-2010   #4

DIYMA freshman

Some of what it looks like now:
Rear:

Doors:
Front: (You can only see the tweeters on the dash)

Middle Row: (You can only see the tweeters on the doors)

Battery connection:

Volume, Sub Level Knobs and Status Indicator:

Subwoofer:

Last edited by KMC123; 07-12-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Old 07-12-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 elparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enough

great install, i love how stealth it is, is that box secured?
elparner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elparner View Post
great install, i love how stealth it is, is that box secured?
Thanks!

The sub is not secured - It is directly up against the 3rd row seat, and only has about 4" of space between the grille and the back.

I would have purchased the "Stealthbox" sub from JL Audio, but the fine print says it only fits in the Expedition EL (Extended Length).

I almost bought it anyway and was thinking of slicing it up / fiberglassing it back together to fit, but then I would have had to relocate all that equipment!

It's always something
Old 07-12-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 elparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enoughelparner will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: 2010 Ford Expedition Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC123 View Post
Thanks!

The sub is not secured - It is directly up against the 3rd row seat, and only has about 4" of space between the grille and the back.

I would have purchased the "Stealthbox" sub from JL Audio, but the fine print says it only fits in the Expedition EL (Extended Length).

I almost bought it anyway and was thinking of slicing it up / fiberglassing it back together to fit, but then I would have had to relocate all that equipment!

It's always something
i think you made the best choice
elparner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
carbon details
Position:
install

Rep Power: 67 CarbonDetails will become famous soon enoughCarbonDetails will become famous soon enoughCarbonDetails will become famous soon enoughCarbonDetails will become famous soon enoughCarbonDetails will become famous soon enoughCarbonDetails will become famous soon enough

Very nice clean install. How is that Microsoft Synch?
CarbonDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonDetails View Post
Very nice clean install. How is that Microsoft Synch?
It's AWESOME!!! It's the main reason I chose to keep the factory head unit!

I connects to you cell via Bluetooth and you have voice access to all of your contacts - you can say "call dave at home (or work or cell) and it does!

If you are in an accident, it calls 911 directly - no fee to OnStar, no middleman for payment and time lost to get help.

You can say "Play Artist AC/DC" and it will play all the AC/DC tracks on your USB stick, Zune, Ipod, etc...

It's got a HUGE hard drive to copy cd's to, EVERYTHING is voice activated, you don't have to touch the radio to go from USB to Phone, to Sat, to CD, etc... It just rocks!!!

You can say "I'm Hungry" and the nav system pops up and shows all nearby restaurants! Awesome stuff like that!!! It even e-mails you vehicle health reports!

There is a website called http://www.syncmyride.com that has training videos for Sync owners - they are short and to the point if you want to see more.
Old 07-12-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 R1100S will become famous soon enoughR1100S will become famous soon enoughR1100S will become famous soon enoughR1100S will become famous soon enoughR1100S will become famous soon enoughR1100S will become famous soon enough

You have a great looking, and no doubt, great sounding system.

Do yourself a favor though and put a few lag-bolts through your enclosure.

Nobody likes a 10" sub + enclosure to the head in the event of an accident.

Secure that sub. Your installation is only 99% until then.
R1100S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 van johnson112 will become famous soon enoughvan johnson112 will become famous soon enoughvan johnson112 will become famous soon enoughvan johnson112 will become famous soon enoughvan johnson112 will become famous soon enoughvan johnson112 will become famous soon enough

wow.
The way there tucked away you would never know there was a system in there besides the tweets. Awesome job!
van johnson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 70 MTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enough

I'm very impressed with the simple setup you have. its a nice taste to see that i'm not the only person who isn't going for the complete custom setup.

And, great choice on the JL audio equipment, i miss my 12w6v2 and 500/1

2004 Chevy Blazer-sold

2012 Chevy Cruze LT1 RS - Planning and saving for new system
MTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #13

DIYMA freshman

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate the comments...
-Kev
Old 07-13-2010   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 ttocs388 is on a distinguished roadttocs388 is on a distinguished roadttocs388 is on a distinguished roadttocs388 is on a distinguished road

I am scared to have microsoft in anything in my Car including the radio. Before you know it to turn off the radio you will have to touch both bumpers and the antenna, when it will then ask you if you are sure you want to turn it off.....
ttocs388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 65 roxj01 will become famous soon enoughroxj01 will become famous soon enoughroxj01 will become famous soon enoughroxj01 will become famous soon enoughroxj01 will become famous soon enoughroxj01 will become famous soon enough

nice i love the stealth install. just curious though why not use the stock tweeter pods in the sail panels up front and flush mount the rear tweeters so they are less noticeable? did you try different positions and the surface mount sounded better? definitely not trying to criticize your build, im truly curious. i will be doing an install for a friend on his 08 expedition so you have given me some great ideas on equipment placement.
roxj01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs388 View Post
I am scared to have microsoft in anything in my Car including the radio. Before you know it to turn off the radio you will have to touch both bumpers and the antenna, when it will then ask you if you are sure you want to turn it off.....

Knock on wood - It hasn't had one issue! I have 3 Microsoft based systems in the Car - The Sync platform, a Zune player connected to the Sync via USB (Has +- 3500 songs on it synced via wifi to my home PC - All controled by voice commands), and a Windows SmartPhone connected via Bluetooth (All contacts sync via Outlook and are available via voice commands)

So far it ROCKS!!! I'm pretty sure it boots fresh each time you start the car, so that helps if I'm right :>
Old 07-13-2010   #17

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxj01 View Post
nice i love the stealth install. just curious though why not use the stock tweeter pods in the sail panels up front and flush mount the rear tweeters so they are less noticeable? did you try different positions and the surface mount sounded better? definitely not trying to criticize your build, im truly curious. i will be doing an install for a friend on his 08 expedition so you have given me some great ideas on equipment placement.
Good Catch!
I was going to put the tweeters behind the factory "grille" on the sail, but there were 3 reasons I did not.

The first (And most important) was that they sounded SO much better pointing AT me instead of flat in the door.

The second was that I had to visably mount them in the 2nd and 3rd rows, so I didn't really mind in the 1st row - If I had the option to hid ALL of them, I probably would have sacrificed a bit of SQ to make it totally stealth.

The 3rd (And least important) was that the drivers door cable boot had TONS of wires in it already - Seemed like more than the rest of the doors combined! (Granted - it has all window switches, mirror controls, door locks, etc... But WOW!!!) - I used REALLY HEAVY 12AWG Wire for all the speakers, and pulling 1 through the boot was sooo hard! I could have done a second if I REALLY had to, but because of # 1 and # 2 above - I went for the dash...
Old 07-13-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Afronaut will become famous soon enoughAfronaut will become famous soon enoughAfronaut will become famous soon enoughAfronaut will become famous soon enoughAfronaut will become famous soon enoughAfronaut will become famous soon enough

It looks nice and you used some great equipment.

Alpine Kicker Polk Audio
Afronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 71 jimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enough

very clean install, enjoy.
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-14-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Austin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura about

Awesome install. As for bolting your enclosure down, i think you are good because the angle of the seats will keep the box from flying up front. It will pinch between the seat and the rear hatch. But if you want to feel much better i would do some sort of securing to it.

And 12 gauge for all the speakers? even the tweeters? come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
I had my 6-channel amp's opamp and power supply upgraded to better quality parts / grades. The SQ turned out fantastic after some burn-in. Resolution was greatly improved with excellent transparency
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #22

DIYMA freshman

Hey Austin,

I agree on the shape of the Sub / angle of the seats - No way out...
Plus I want to be able to remove it if I need to do a Home Depot run for plywood, etc...

As far as the 12ga Wire goes - I had plenty so I just went for it.

I did the sub wiring in 8ga and had a ton of that too, so I figured why not?

-Kev
Old 07-16-2010   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 DaleCarter will become famous soon enoughDaleCarter will become famous soon enoughDaleCarter will become famous soon enoughDaleCarter will become famous soon enoughDaleCarter will become famous soon enoughDaleCarter will become famous soon enough

I struggled with amp locations because I wanted a stealth install. I used old school PPI Art A300.2's so the factory sub location wouldn't work. I also wasn't using the factory HU, so having all the signal sources in that location wasn't a factor for me. My front stage amps are in the center console with my processor and the sub-amp is under the passenger seat.

DIYMA.com - DaleCarter's Album: Kong Install

I think you are fine on the sub box, especially if the jack storage is in the same place as my 2003. I really like the banana jack idea on the bulkhead. I used a Neutrik Speakon NL4FC and NL4MPR connectors for mine. They are ugly, but extremely robust and convenient, plus there are four conductors in case I ever go with another sub or one with a dual voice coil. My plan is to replace the center seat with a sub box that will be level with the cargo floor. I haul a lot of stuff, but rarely have a fifth person in the car, so that center 2nd -row seat doesn't mean a lot to me. Based on your install, you haul a lot of people.
JL makes a console sub box for my truck that ROCKS, but my amp install prevents me using it. You may want to check to see if they make a box for the F150 that will fit your 2010, maybe with some minor mods. They don't show one for the 2003, but my buddy has one, so the listings are not all that complete or accurate. You lose all but the top 2 or 3 inches of your console, but my console only collects useless crap anyway. Possibly, Ford used all the room under the console for electronics and a sub there is not an option.

I have one suggestion and that is to color match your tweets to the interior. It's easy and makes them blend in really nicely. I even found a Krylon paint at Lowes that matched my A-pillars perfectly. For the best matching, take piece of the trim to a professional auto paint vendor. If you don't have a detail gun or airbrush, they will mix a rattle can of the good stuff. You put a lot of effort into keeping everything stealth, so painting the tweets seems like a logical step.

Again, nice install in a very nice truck! Congrats!

My amps had lots of feel and emotion, so I put them on Paxil. Now they are smooth and mellow. Silly amps.
DaleCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 bhaycraft will become famous soon enoughbhaycraft will become famous soon enoughbhaycraft will become famous soon enoughbhaycraft will become famous soon enoughbhaycraft will become famous soon enoughbhaycraft will become famous soon enough

Hey KMC123,

Nice job on the install for the 2010. I have a 2010 Exp EL that I will soon be working on and planning on keeping the factory head and using an MS-8 with JL stealthbox and JL XD or new JBL amps and probably HAT speakers and add a center channel and get rear D-pillars from a Navigator L that have the high mounted THX speakers to get some more rear fill since the vehicle is so long. I loved seeing how much space there is under the panels. Since I am going with the stealthbox I imagine I won't have a lot of space on that side so I will use the other side I hope. Loved all the mounting plates. Do you have more pictures of that you could share because it looked so nice and clean and that is what I want to achieve. Thanks
bhaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #25

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaycraft View Post
Hey KMC123,

Nice job on the install for the 2010. I have a 2010 Exp EL that I will soon be working on and planning on keeping the factory head and using an MS-8 with JL stealthbox and JL XD or new JBL amps and probably HAT speakers and add a center channel and get rear D-pillars from a Navigator L that have the high mounted THX speakers to get some more rear fill since the vehicle is so long. I loved seeing how much space there is under the panels. Since I am going with the stealthbox I imagine I won't have a lot of space on that side so I will use the other side I hope. Loved all the mounting plates. Do you have more pictures of that you could share because it looked so nice and clean and that is what I want to achieve. Thanks
Thanks!
You're lucky with the EL - There is a JL Stealthbox for it and you have almost 15 inches more length in the EL than the non EL.

I can't speak for the EL (Never taken it apart) but in mine, the rear passenger area over the rear passenger side wheel is 100% full with the second A/C unit, blower, etc...

I could have fit the crossovers in there, but that's about it.

BUT - On yours with the extra length you might have a 15 inch area back there.

Also - I know the Stealthbox does not fit in mine, and will fit in yours, but I'm not sure how much extra room it needs - It's somewhere between 1 and 15 extra inches that mine did not have

If it's not too much, you might be able to fit SOME equip on the same side I did.

I don't have any more pics of the shelf / fan unit I made, but all I really did was make a wooden vertical wall that used the existing sub box mounting brackets / bolt locations and I mounted the amps and crossovers directly to it after cutting ventilation ares behind the amp stack. (I put 2 fans in there - 1 behind the bottom amp and 1 over the top amp, behind the existing built in sub grille)

After that I figured out the heights I needed for the CL-SSI and DSP and made 2 wooden shelves for them and glued / screwed them on.

After test fitting it, I sprayed it all black and that was it.

I hope that helps!