DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

unusual 2way install

49K views 127 replies 59 participants last post by  eddieg 
#1 ·
the car is a fiat bravo .
its small 2door economical diesel hack that i use for work .
600/700 miles a week so i spend some time in it and the factory sounds was total crap ..

as i carry some tools for work i ripped the back seat giving me the extra room i needed but left me with the dilemma of where to fit the subs and keep the space in the back ?

All the install was done by my friend and top UK installer,
Paul (mazdawg) Coughlan who amongst other accolades was the first guy to break 170db in the uk 20 years ago ..
and he continues to build some of the best and loudest spl cars/vans here in the UK , so my little install is a piece of cake to him .

the kit is

Pioneer deh-p 88rs II
Kenwood KAC 1023 X 2
Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro Ti x 2
Phase linear Aliante 10 x 2

i had bench tested all the gear in my garage and it sounded pretty together ,
how it will sound when its all fitted in the car ???????

Ti builds

[/QUOTE]

See less See more
#105 ·
some may have been wondering if the install has finished ,, kind of !

it had been up and running for a few days and sounding pretty good ..
until the ms-8 died .. its the second time it has died ,
first time it froze in one of the menus and was shipped back the the US and repaired and shipped back to me in the UK .
this time its just turning its self on and off repeatedly ..
fingers crossed i will get a replacement unit ,not another repair :mad:

getting back to the install .
until now i had never been a fan of rear fill at all ,in fact i quite disliked every car i heard using rear speakers .

unexpectedly adding the rears had a huge impact to the overall listening experience.. a real sense of space and depth is felt .
any concerns that the sound stage would be drawn back and loss of focus is not an issue whatsoever in fact its improved front imaging and separation and a whole heap of ambiance is added :D imho .
a big win win to jbl ...

at last i have managed to find another sa30 amp to replace the sm60 that's currently running the center pod . that should sweeten things a little as the sm60 was a touch harsh compared the the sa30's :D

like paul said a few posts back " the 10's are struggling to play below 25hz , so that needs to be addressed ........................................

#106 ·
Yuri, great & fantastic build! I understood that center channel with MS-8 should play as low as ( in most cases ) the Midbass - yours is the exception.
Where is your center passed at this time?

Thanks looking forward to more feedback on your set-up!

#109 ·
I'm a little late to the show, excellent work on your vehicle. I also am a contractor and carry my construction tools in my daily driver. I've calculated the "normal" suspension carry weight and I go over max by 15-20% total weight when I'm fully tool loaded.
did you have to upgrade the suspension of that vehicle to carry all that extra mdf? (I estimated you added 150lbs of mdf alone) or did you just buy another work car? lol
I would love to do this to my work car also, but have always held back due to weight concerns.

#112 ·
i haven't changed any suspension parts yet , though i have reduced the tools i carry to only what i need for the next day and i put oil and fuel containers in a large plastic bin when i need to carry them and also have a plastic sheet to cover the floor just to protect the carpeted panels ...

i increased the air pressure from 34psi to 40 psi on the rear wheels .
its is a lot of extra weight but i find the car feels a little more planted to the road and i like how it drives now better than before :confused:
still driving 600 + miles a week and loving it ...

i wouldn't hesitate to do the same to another car , but i would use a rubber type of cover rather that carpet on the floor ..

#110 ·

HU: Pioneer P80rs = P88rs (US version)
4ch: Audiosystem F4-380
2ch: Audiosystem F2-300
mono: Rockford Fostage P325.1
comp: Eton RS 161
midrange: Eton
sub: Rockford Fostage P2
preamp: Milbert TC-4r Tube Hybrid Preamp & Active 2-way Sub Crossovers
Sensitivity and impedance: 100mV to 2Vrms; 25k Ohms in; 600 Ohms out
Signal gain: 4:1 gain high-pass & low-pass
Crossover points, slope: 60, 72, 80, 100Hz, independent; 12dB/oct Butterworth
Frequency response: +0, -3dB 20Hz-60kHz
Hum & noise: -90dB from 20Hz-60kHz (unweighted)
:p Will this possible?:D

#111 ·

HU: Pioneer P80rs = P88rs (US version)
4ch: Audiosystem F4-380
2ch: Audiosystem F2-300
mono: Rockford Fostage P325.1
comp: Eton RS 161
midrange: Eton
sub: Rockford Fostage P2
preamp: Milbert TC-4r Tube Hybrid Preamp & Active 2-way Sub Crossovers

:p Will this possible?:D

looks possible ,but over complicated imo , personally i would use a passive x-over between the mids & tweeters and not use the tc-r4 at all ..

#116 ·
that's the plan , there is a quick release socket on the box . a few seconds and the box is out ...

still in the testing stage so far ,i have several different subs and boxes to work my way through.... if a winner shines through i may well rebuild the back of the car to better integrate it ...

#122 ·
This is an incredible install! Can't wait to see the sub integrated into the back!

#124 ·
its with sorrow i add this update ... the fiat is dead ...............

it was only a fuel pump that's inside the diesel tank that broke ...
fiat have stopped making the part and i searched for a used one for 5 weeks without finding one .......

but its not all bad ...... i bought another complete car the same as mine with a broken gearbox for the parts i needed for mine ,,, when i got the parts car home i found it was in a lot better shape than mine so i decided to pull the gearbox out on mine and repair the "parts car ":D , i pulled my engine and other parts for spares as well ... the install will refitted with some big changes as well .......

#126 ·
that is some outstanding craftsmanship gentlemen, congratulation and thanks for sharing!
all those amps with all that power- such an american thing to do!
my one critique is with the door enclosures- i believe you would have had better output, tighter bass and capability to play lower if you would have added internal bracing to add structure and used polyfill (especially behind the driver to absorb the backwave). those long unsupported panels are likely flexing a quite a bit- especially with their surface area and the power you are running.
peace and good luck!

#128 ·
FIAT stands for

Fix It Again Toni

But it is a beautiful car! Sad to have read about what happened with the fuel pump but you got over it very quickly.

cool install!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.