LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Handcrafted Car Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 66 handcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enough

Default Ford Excursion - Barn Door Subs by Handcrafted Car Audio

Did this one about two weeks ago. It's pretty self explanatory from the pics. I used two Hertz Energy 10" subs and ran them off of an Arc audio XXD4080 bridged. All the other equipment in the truck was pre-existing. Let me know what you think.

Stock door frame.

I cut the holes in each door to the same dimensions so that each sub would have similar size enclosures.

I made a frame that loaded into each hole, and then glassed the back side. As the glass was curing, I started to frame out the boxes.

I skipped a few pictures in the process here, I got a bit behind! Basically, I just made the baffle of the box the same shape as the door panel that was pulled off, mounted it to the frame on each side and then just made four side pieces that fit the contour of the door.

Here, I copied just the top section of each side onto a random piece of 1/2" MDF. Then, I rabbeted 3/4" in and 1/4" up into it. Once that was done, I followed the rabbeted edge with a 1/4" spiral flush trim. This left me with a 1/2" by 1/4" replica of the shape of the top of the box.

Here it is loosely in place.

Jon Kowanetz
Handcrafted Car Audio
2775 N Arizona Ave Suite 5
Chandler Az 85225 480-550-8944
handcrafted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Handcrafted Car Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 66 handcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enoughhandcrafted will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ford Excursion - Barn Door Subs by Handcrafted Car Audio

Here you can see why I made that piece. After attaching those pieces to the top of each box, I simply continued that 1/4" border all the way around. This gave me a place to pull vinyl over into and then lay carpet in the middle. This is very similar to the factory piece.

A few days later I threw a couple of grilles on them.

Jon Kowanetz
Handcrafted Car Audio
Old 09-23-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 tdiantonio will become famous soon enoughtdiantonio will become famous soon enoughtdiantonio will become famous soon enoughtdiantonio will become famous soon enoughtdiantonio will become famous soon enoughtdiantonio will become famous soon enough

looks great. nice work

________

Clarion DXZ785USB
Shelfware: Hybrid Clarus-JL HD600/4 -a/d/s R10s
tdiantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 68 MTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enoughMTopper will become famous soon enough

thats awesome.. great work as always. i always loved the look of subs molded into car/trunk parts.

2004 Chevy Blazer-sold

2012 Chevy Cruze LT1 RS - Planning and saving for new system
MTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Handcrafted Car Audio
Position:
Owner

Thanks guys.

Jon Kowanetz
Handcrafted Car Audio
Old 09-24-2010   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 Zorasmiles will become famous soon enoughZorasmiles will become famous soon enoughZorasmiles will become famous soon enoughZorasmiles will become famous soon enoughZorasmiles will become famous soon enoughZorasmiles will become famous soon enough

looks great..nice use of space
Zorasmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 reggiecab2000 will become famous soon enoughreggiecab2000 will become famous soon enoughreggiecab2000 will become famous soon enoughreggiecab2000 will become famous soon enoughreggiecab2000 will become famous soon enoughreggiecab2000 will become famous soon enough

everything i see here seems do-able, except i dont see where or how you successfully bolted/attached this frame to the actual door? could you show some pictures of how it is attached please? that is my only confusion seeing it is a thin fiberglass door.
thank you
reggiecab2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 87 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

ha when i saw that big hole in the door my eyes went 0_o than i realised they were the back doors, still allot of material to be removed, but interesting way to utalize space. I like it

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
ZED audio, Hybrid Audio, FI audio, M-Audio, Custom carputer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
PS. Tell your boss to stop sending me pictures of his cock.
eviling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 102 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Very nice work man. Love when people think outside the box.

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Encore 8 | DAC | Conv DCX/DEQ2496 | Aura MR2150 x 3 | Aura NRT18-8 | L6v2 | neo8-s
BowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 60 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

Old thread, but still awesome. I always like subs molded into hatch doors.

2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

A sweeeet shout out to a old thread.......nice
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 196 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I used to do the same thing but with Soundstream SPL 12s. Works AMAZING.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Deafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enough

I am starting the install in my Excursion, and I like the idea of putting the subs in the barn doors but I have a question. Do your rear doors and window rattle excessively? The Ford latches on those doors and window seem like they wouldn't have to much forgiveness for vibration. I lied, I have 2 questions. I was thinking of eliminating the rear mid Speaker at the 3rd row bench seat and moving them to the rear doors along with the sub. Just wondering if anyone had any cons for that idea before I go and fabricate the doors for that set up to find out the imaging sucks in that combo. Thanks ahead of time for your input, and nice work!
Deafabove30Hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Handcrafted Car Audio
Position:
Owner

I didn't see vibration that was unacceptable. Naturally, there is going to be some, but nothing that would detract from listening. I just recommend that you sound deaden the doors very well before hand.

As for the speakers in the back, yeah the imaging would definitely suck. But then again, 85% of the sound systems we do are front stage only, so I might be a bit biased. If you are simply looking to have a lot more sound in the vehicle, it should work, but if you want it to sound good, I wouldn't do it. But if you do add them back there, make sure you isolate their air space from the subwoofers.

Jon Kowanetz
Handcrafted Car Audio
Old 06-03-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

SuperDave

12V Company:
Elite Auto Salon
Position:
Manager/Fabricator

Rep Power: 112 TheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enoughTheDavel will become famous soon enough

From the dead! But still a sweet build!

Still Lurkin'
TheDavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Deafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enoughDeafabove30Hz will become famous soon enough

I played around with a 6.5 3-way in a little mdf enclosure moving it around the back. You are definitely right, the sound from the Speaker is eaten up by the 3rd row seat and sounds like it has a pillow over the speaker. However, I think I hit paydirt when I located the Speaker up on the rear headliner. It gave a good fill. I think I will fiberglass a pod for these and cover it in Vinyl to match the tan headliner. With a little luck these should blend with the subs in the door, at least better than my original plan. Already deadened the snot outta the rear doors this morning. Now, I am going to try and use your idea and do something similar for the barn doors. I think you were wise to use a strong baffle for those subs, I was originally going to fiberglass them on a reinforced ring like I saw on youtube a couple times but realize that is no way to mount a sub. Thanks for the reply, and for sharing your work, it has inspired me to take it up a notch in my truck! Now, if it looks half as good as yours I will be super smiley.
Old 06-04-2014   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 7 ben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enoughben54b will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, just wondering long term what effect the weight of those boxes on the doors will have on the hinges. As we don't have those vehicles in oz I am not familiar enough with them to know. Awesome idea and execution though. Ben
ben54b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #18

DIYMA freshman

I went out and inspected the hinges in depth, and I really don't think there is going to be any issues with the hinges themselves as they seem pretty HD and up to the challenge of a mere 10-15lbs of weight. The weak link IMO is the latch. There isn't anything to really keep those barn doors closed/tight except the single latch. It will be interesting how it holds up to the vibration over time for sure. If it becomes an issue for me I will repost.
Old 06-08-2014   #19

DIYMA freshman

So, I was playing around with some mock set ups and working on the rear fill for the Excursion. I had put a 6.5 Beyma 3 way spkrs up high and at first it sounded awesome! After I mocked up the front speakers though I noticed the stage had moved back a few feet! I tried playing around with the gain on the rears and that helped, but at that point I had very little coming out of the rears to blend in properly and said to myself what a waste of a decent speaker. So, back to the ol drawing board, prolly going to move the Beyma's up to the third row factory location. Had high hopes for these Beyma's, they sound really good for a 3-way spkr. Sometimes an idea isn't always a good one. Plenty of good sound from the front doors-PPI P.653C 3-ways, (6.5 in door and the little mid and tweeter center dash) and Soundstream RC.6 comps. With the sub in the rear door area, this set up blends well. Now what is left (HA, just getting started) is to fabricate the door pods, the rear sub mounts in the barn doors, finish dampening, run the new wire, reinstall carpet and seats, mount the amps and start tweaking to make it blend the way you guys have shown is possible. So much for a weekend project, It is going to take me a couple weeks hard at it. However, after getting some ideas from the projects you all have shared I don't think I can go wrong. I will put together some images to post here when I am done so you can laugh at my feeble attempt at Car audio bwa ha ha. Seriously, I am trying to do it right because I know the sharks are out there waiting to feast, and I am hoping they starve when I get this done. Thanks again to all for sharing your ideas, without them I surely would be lost. It has been a good xp learning some of the finer points of Car audio and finding a way to integrate them into my project. The most frustrating part of it all so far has been the issue of Power management. If only I had a nuclear generator under the hood. I ended up upgrading the alternator to a 275 amp TAD from Nations so we shall see if it can handle the system this NOOB designed. Alright gents, back to the workbench.