LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Subaru GTB Wagon Build - SQ on a shoestring

LOL I am glad you took that with the constructive intent it was given.

If you look at the graph of response for the single-reflex enclosure, YES on paper it is higher, flatter, & more "responsive" on the graph... the GRAPH is assuming you have one HELL of a midbass that can pick up at say 55 or 65Hz to fill in before that brick wall drop starting at about 75-80hz...

Like I said, Single & dual reflex (single/dual "bandpass") enclosures were the rage in the late 80s through the late 90's for SPL machines looking to make a dedicated shot at a given range of frequencies. They are NOT musical. They are VERY one-sided. They go low, they are VERY efficient in the range, usually 1, maybe 2 octaves.

If you are aiming for SQ or Even SQ+ type competition or trying to showcase Sound Quality... Sealed is easiest to tune, Ported will get you a lil more depth & impact, but does require, like the bandpass, a VERY strong midbass transition.

From a seamless, Sound quality point of view, your current set up, ported is going to destroy anything the bandpass may have offered and, most importantly be more MUSICAL.

You are an an amazing Build journey. Can't wait to see it unfold. Glad that the bandpass wasn't in the cards... you will be too, once its all done... Cheers!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazit08 View Post
Hmm, i don't know but this arrogant jack-ass (txwrxwagon) is giving me a headache. Do you have a life? Do you just like looking like a immature non helpful dick-head?
Nope... Just to help debunk some of the stupidity of DIYMA..
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

taking it one step further....

look at the BLUE line (ported) it has a prominent peak, which is fine... but guess what? The natural cabin gain of YOUR Car will give you that in a sealed enclosure as well. So now in the ported configuration, you may have a nasty PEAK to deal with transitioning between the sub & the midbass to get the overall SQ balanced.

If you look at the graphs, the SEALED (black line) gives you the smoothest, most consistent response with no peaks, spikes, dips, or sharp roll off. If you are buiilding a Demo Car for SPL then the bandpass is the way to go, the ported a close second.

If a SQ car is what you are building, the sealed enclosures "conservative" curve will actually blend better with the rear fill & front stage better.

Not to mention, if you caclulate the 1/4 wave length of the port frequency of the bandpass enclosure it will likely (I didn't run the math) be well outside the car anyway... so the bandpass will definitely likely be a "crowd pleaser" not a car occupant pleaser...

Rob

Quote:
Hmm, i don't know but this arrogant jack-ass (txwrxwagon) is giving me a headache. Do you have a life? Do you just like looking like a immature non helpful dick-head?
Old 02-01-2011   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrxWagon View Post
LOL I am glad you took that with the constructive intent it was given.
Thanks for the insight! There is always someone out there more knowledgable than oneself, so I try and keep an open mind. My grandfather always told me 'The day you stop learning, is the day they put you in the ground'.

Now...if you have any words of wisdom on how to cram 10lbs of shit into a 5lb bag, I'm all ears
sinister-kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

nope... LOL... you are on the right track... at least in my feeble opinion.

I would think about building the enclosure ported. Add some dead materials to see how it sounds sealed, then remove & try the ported. Your ears are the most important set. Just Saying.

I would get it all done & do some SERIOUS listening with whatever the main source you will use. If you are an iPod guy... great... set up the system, listen as you will listen.

tune & adjust as you prefer.

Rob

Quote:
Old 02-01-2011   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Yea the thought of doing a removable panel to block/unblock the port had crossed my mind. It won't be hard to do, so I will go ahead with it.

I still prefer to listen to good old CD's (vintage!? ) so I will tune as such. Hannah uses MP3's and isn't fussed about recording quality aslong as she can listen to her favorite song whatever it maybe at any given time
Old 02-01-2011   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 256 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviling View Post
thats interesting because fusion is JUNKKKKKKK over here, we're talking BOSS qulity crap here. just pure junk, in fact, i almost had to pay sombody to take a amp\sub combo pack i had laying around off my hands just for them to take it
BOSS read ZED...

Fusion, possibly the same...

Doesn't really matter the name, if ZED built it, it's likely SOLID..

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 256 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

LOV the Leggy Waggy BTW...

That, laid out (even if it's not), on black wheels...Now that's straight Sinister..!!

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Finally got some time in on this Build over the weekend. This year has been nuts so far!
Trim/insert panel for the amp rack done

Routered out the back so the insert and 3.5mm acrylic sit flush. I used Speaker grill clips to attach the trim panels to the amp rack.

Just need to source some carbonfibre vinyl for the insert panel and then I can permanently install the acrylic and LED's.

Got the framework that holds up the false floor mostly done. Just got to finish sussing out the hinges to hinge the sub box. I've used 8mm riv nuts and caphead bolts to secure the frame to the floor. Solid as!

Old 03-07-2011   #34

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 slpery will become famous soon enoughslpery will become famous soon enoughslpery will become famous soon enoughslpery will become famous soon enoughslpery will become famous soon enoughslpery will become famous soon enough

great work kiwi. Im wanting to do something similar in my Falcon. Cant wait to see more.
slpery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 130 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Looks great!
What is the angle of the router bit you have used on the cutouts for plexiglass?

Thanks.

bmw e39 :: a/d/s/ P640 :: JL 500/1
LPG26 :: Peerless 830986 :: 9" Volvo Dynaudio
Peerless 830876
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #36

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 jackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enoughjackp311 will become famous soon enough

Love the amp rack. Weird how some brands release quality equipment in one part of the world and rebranded stuff in another.
jackp311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 AKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enough

ahhh.. how much do you have invested making this rack? my subie would love to have its trunk at the end of my Build but i dont think i can afford it.
AKMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Looks great!
What is the angle of the router bit you have used on the cutouts for plexiglass?

Thanks.
Thanks mate. It's 45 degree bit, hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMetal View Post
ahhh.. how much do you have invested making this rack? my subie would love to have its trunk at the end of my Build but i dont think i can afford it.
Um, including the amps, I've got probably around NZD $200 in the rack. I'm guessing I'll have around $5-600 all up in the trunk once it's completed including the equipment (not including sound deadening).

The Subru Build is on the backburner untill May. I'm currently working on getting my '58 Volkswagen project done and on the road for an event in April. Keep an eye out for that install in the next few weeks
Old 03-28-2011   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 AKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enoughAKMetal will become famous soon enough

wow, not bad considering how well built it is. but, factoring in hours you've spent building its worth considerably more i imagine
AKMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 samos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enough

Hey man, nice Build - should keep the mrs happy!

I'm not far from you being down in Wellington... what event is on in April you're trying to get the vw to?
samos69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos69 View Post
Hey man, nice Build - should keep the mrs happy!

I'm not far from you being down in Wellington... what event is on in April you're trying to get the vw to?
Thanks man. She better be happy, or I'll be getting all Jake the Muss on her
Aiming for the VW Nationals in Orewa. The furtherest I've driven it so far is around the block so hopefully the air-cooled gods will be with me
Old 03-30-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMetal View Post
wow, not bad considering how well built it is. but, factoring in hours you've spent building its worth considerably more i imagine
Thanks. That's the thing about DIY I guess, you never factor in the (countless) hours you put into projects when it comes to their worth!
Old 03-31-2011   #43

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Mobile communications sevice
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 War Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enough

Hey, I'm Just on the other side of the hill to you (Upper Hutt). I was just wondering where you picked up you IDQ10 from? I'm dying to get my grubby little hands on one or two =D.
War Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Bandit View Post
Hey, I'm Just on the other side of the hill to you (Upper Hutt). I was just wondering where you picked up you IDQ10 from? I'm dying to get my grubby little hands on one or two =D.
Hey mate, check out the classified section on NZ ICE Magazine Rogan on there was importing ID gear for a while so theres a fair bit of stuff floating around. I think he may even have some IDv3's left.
Old 03-31-2011   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 47 samos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enoughsamos69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
Thanks man. She better be happy, or I'll be getting all Jake the Muss on her
Aiming for the VW Nationals in Orewa. The furtherest I've driven it so far is around the block so hopefully the air-cooled gods will be with me
Yer though they are normally pretty easy to please, components, sub, favorite pop song on the ipod - job done

The bug will make it, days are getting cooler so that'll help some
samos69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #46
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Being an aircooled VW guy (a couple of times) I'm looking forward to the bug build. What are you doing for charging system upgrades?

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 memphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enoughmemphiskane will become famous soon enough

Really like the amp rack on the subie
memphiskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Being an aircooled VW guy (a couple of times) I'm looking forward to the bug build. What are you doing for charging system upgrades?
I'll just be doing the big 3 upgrade with 4 gauge for now and will look into a HO alt later down the track. I'm quickly running out of time to get the Car done for the event, so I'll just be running a temp system to get me by (H/U powered fronts and mabey a small amp & sub) and then do the main system when I get back. I don't want the final install to be rushed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphiskane View Post
Really like the amp rack on the subie
Thanks man, I'm itching to get back ito it!
Old 04-03-2011   #49
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
I'll just be doing the big 3 upgrade with 4 gauge for now and will look into a HO alt later down the track. I'm quickly running out of time to get the Car done for the event, so I'll just be running a temp system to get me by (H/U powered fronts and mabey a small amp & sub) and then do the main system when I get back. I don't want the final install to be rushed!
Good call. In my '70 I ran a Pioneer CD Player, Sony XM-4040 (160W 4 channel) and crossover. I had comps in the front doors in my first ever 'glass pods, and a 1.0ft3 box for an Orion XTR 10. This was in '91. The generator held up surprisingly well.

Good call on not rushing it. Looking forward to more pics of it.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

So I finally found some time to blow the dust of this project and make some progress.
I fully ran out of time to do anything with the VW project, but did manage to get the interior stripped out and the first bit of sound deadening started over the weekend. I'll start the Build log hopefully in the next few weeks once I've made some decent progress.

Some of my original plans have changed. I'm just going to run with a 2-way setup now. Being my first active install, I think it will be a whole lot easier tuning with just the 2-way, not to mention a whole lot less work. I'll use the 2 spare channels on the 3566 to Power some Infinity Reference co-axials in the rear doors.
I brought a 3Sixty.2 for the VW a while back, but recently picked up a P80RS so will use that in the dub, and the 3Sixty will go into the Suby. So much for a budget build!
I've also ditched the IDQ for a VDO Dayton HPS12. Hannah listens to a lot of Dubstep/DnB aswell as the usual girly poppy stuff, so I think the 12 will suit her tastes better, plus the IDQ will be safe from any abuse the system will encounter when she and her GF's are doing their thing.

I scrapped the custom distro idea after coming across this honey on the interwebs. The shape suits the trim panel cutout better than the custom one I had planned, plus it has the volt meter and it just looks plain sexy so I had to have it! Tsunami TPFDB-4PG Fused Distribution Block. Positive and negative 0awg in with 4 x 4awg out

Got the amp rack trim panel covered in 3M Di-noc. I sprayed it with filler primer and gave it a quick sand to give the vinyl a nice surface to stick to.

This shit is cool!

I routered some channels in the back of the panel for the LED's and wiring, glued the acrylic in, then used cloth tape to help 'direct' the light.

Baseplate for the distro block cut and rabbeted ready to stretch some fleece.

Then postioned and resined in place.