LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011   #51

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Mobile communications sevice
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 War Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Subaru GTB Wagon Build - SQ on a shoestring

Where abouts did you pick up that Distro block from?
War Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 71 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Bandit View Post
Where abouts did you pick up that Distro block from?
I ordered it from Sonic Electronix. That distro, another one for the VW, some 0awg ring terminals, 0awg grounding block and shipping to NZ set me back just over $200 NZD.
sinister-kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #53
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 105 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I gotta say I'm glad I don't have to endure all the crazy taxes and fees you guys outside the U.S. do...I would never be able to afford half the crap I do now!

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 71 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

It's not that bad really, the total with freight was $160USD, the only other fee I had to pay was some stupid credit card charge of about $10. The rest is just the exchange rate.
It's a small price to pay for quality install gear, since we have such a small variety available here

Last edited by sinister-kustoms; 05-18-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Old 09-05-2011   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Progress at long last!

Got sub enclosure mocked together with brad nails enough to get the trim panel started.
There's a piece of 6mm acrylic sandwiched between the top of the enclosure and the trim panel which will get some leds for that illuminated edge effect. Using the router to cut the hole was nerve-racking to say the least!

Here is how the whole sub box and trim panel assembly is attached. I've used 5mm t-nuts with cap-head screws that do up from the underside of the sub baffle.

In place with the inner and outer parts of the trim panel rabbeted ready for fleece

Then resined and trimmed up

While that was drying I got started on the trim panels for the 360.2 and control switches.
The amps will be able to be switched off separatley for tuning, along with the LED's and cooling fans.
I had this panel engraved for all the switches

The 360.2 will sit behind some acrylic with lighting as well.
Old 09-05-2011   #56

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Buckshot Racing
Position:
Technician/fabricator

Rep Power: 86 JP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enough

Great work
JP Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 hybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enoughhybridspl will become famous soon enough

Looks great. I love wagons and wish we got that one!
hybridspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I need to make a cradle for the 360 to sit in so made a pattern from card to make sure it will work. Looks like it will

I'm hoping to get the rest of the fabrication for this part finished over the weekend. Wish me luck!
Old 09-12-2011   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

So here's this weekends project.
The RF360 and switch panel will be mounted in the right hand side interior panel where the factory McIntosh sub used to be.

Here's the factory 6x9 style sub and awesome 'baffle'

I know the guy who owns the local auto wreckers and happens to specialize in Subarus so managed to pick up another interior panel for nada. There was no way to separate the carpet from the panel, so I used the butane torch to melt it all down so I had a solid base to work from.

I cut what I needed to out of the panel and attached the outer part of the display panel using staples and duraglass, then added fiberglass on the back for reinforcement. The face of the display panel is attched using t-nuts and cap-head screws.

Old 09-12-2011   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Here's the 360 cradle in steel which is screwed onto the back of the display panel

Didn't quite get it finished as I ran out of filler, but a little more filler and some sanding and it's ready for carpet

Old 09-12-2011   #61
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 105 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I did a set of Porsche 911 door panels, and when I went to pull the carpet off, the mesh base came up, but all the strands stayed glued to the base. I melted it with a butane torch and then scraped/sanded it off. Same deal?

Jay

Quote:
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
Old 09-12-2011   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 PaSHOKC will become famous soon enoughPaSHOKC will become famous soon enoughPaSHOKC will become famous soon enoughPaSHOKC will become famous soon enoughPaSHOKC will become famous soon enoughPaSHOKC will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to PaSHOKC Send a message via Skype™ to PaSHOKC

Great job! I'm just shocked! Respect for the people can do that!
PaSHOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
I did a set of Porsche 911 door panels, and when I went to pull the carpet off, the mesh base came up, but all the strands stayed glued to the base. I melted it with a butane torch and then scraped/sanded it off. Same deal?

Jay
Sounds similar, although the carpet on the Subaru seems to be actually molded into the panel. PITA really, but the torch made short work of it!
Whats left of the carpet has dried rock hard so I havn't even bothered trying to scrape the remains off, just gave it a quick rough up with some 40grit and then the skim coat of filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSHOKC View Post
Great job! I'm just shocked! Respect for the people can do that!
Thanks mate, it's a lot of work, but it's going to pay off once it's all in and running
Old 10-02-2011   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Got a new battery clamp/fuse holder fabbed up over the weekend.
I made a template from 5mm MDF then transferred it to some 10mm black acrylic with the flush-trim bit on the router.

I heart routering acrylic

Epoxied some rivnuts in and it's done 8)

Old 10-02-2011   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

My other little project was modding the fused distro for the amp acc and fan/LED feeds.

5 outputs (main amp acc, sub amp acc, 360.2 acc, fans and LED's) will be powered via a relay switched
by the headunit acc feed, leaving one unused fuse. I still need a constant 12v+ for the 360.2 so decided the use the remaining feed.
I cut down an M5 bolt to fit and epoxied it and the separated tab to the base and insulated them with some liquid tape, then drilled a hole in the casing for the new ring terminal.

Old 10-02-2011   #66
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

That's a cool idea. I like it.

Jay

Quote:
Old 10-02-2011   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Arthrogrian19 will become famous soon enoughArthrogrian19 will become famous soon enoughArthrogrian19 will become famous soon enoughArthrogrian19 will become famous soon enoughArthrogrian19 will become famous soon enoughArthrogrian19 will become famous soon enough

Sweet build and nice Subaru!!! Any performance mods??
Arthrogrian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #68
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Another nice Subaru is Simplicityinsound's car.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...y-own-car.html

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jay

Quote:
Old 10-02-2011   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthrogrian19 View Post
Sweet build and nice Subaru!!! Any performance mods??
Thanks man. No perfomance mods as of yet other than a sports muffler and the front being slightly lowered. It's got enough poke to put a grin on my face and more than enough for the 'missus, so we'll leave it stock (for now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Another nice Subaru is Simplicityinsound's car.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...y-own-car.html

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jay
All good man. You're preaching to the converted though. I've been through all of Bing's builds with a fine-tooth comb
Old 10-02-2011   #70
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
Thanks man. No perfomance mods as of yet other than a sports muffler and the front being slightly lowered. It's got enough poke to put a grin on my face and more than enough for the 'missus, so we'll leave it stock (for now).

All good man. You're preaching to the converted though. I've been through all of Bing's builds with a fine-tooth comb
The note about Bings install was for the guy above me. But yeah, I've read all of his threads and always look forward to the next ones.

Jay

Quote:
Old 01-06-2012   #71

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 indytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished roadindytrucks is on a distinguished road

Any updates? The wife and I are looking into getting a GT-B while we're in Japan.

New setup coming to show Japan whats up.
indytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

No sorry mate, I've been slacking on this one TBH. With my VW project, a few customer jobs and Xmas/New Years celebrations, I just haven't had any spare time!
Old 04-09-2012   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well it's been a long time coming, but between perk jobs, wedding planning, making home brew and doing work around the house, I've finally squeezed in some time to work on the Suby!
Got the final piece to the sub-box jigsaw hammered into place. This has to be the ugliest box I've ever built, but fortunatley it's all hidden under the trim panels

False floor grill is all done. I missed getting build pics, but basicly started but tracing the perimeter of the sub trim panel onto 12mm ply with the flush-trim bit on the router then cut the grill holes using the Jasper jig and the flush-trim bit and guides. I used a rabbeter to sink the grill mesh in 2-3mm so the carpet sits flat. It's a bit overkill, but I covered the bottom with vinyl to hide the bare ply.

Filler work all done on the distro holder. I'll be painting this the same silver as the body colour. Same goes with the outer ring of the subwoofer frame. The grey paint was starting to flake off in one spot, so I've sanded it back and primed it. Will spray the silver next weekend.

And finally, got the side panel carpeted and the 360.2 window installed.

Should get started on wiring next weekend.
Old 04-09-2012   #74
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Nice. I like where this is going.

Jay

Quote:
Old 04-15-2012   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well I didn't get the distro holder and sub painted, but made a start on the wiring.
Wiring up and testing the LED's around the sub trim, then blacked out the acrylic.

And then bolted to the sub box for the last time.