LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 65 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Subaru GTB Wagon Build - SQ on a shoestring

Moving onto the power feed. I decided to run the 0 gauge cable under the car, so ran it through some 25mm electric conduit for safety. After removing the inner plastic guard from the front left fender, I found a big open grommet with more than enough room for the 0 gauge to pass through. This comes out right underneath the OEM fuse box.

To bring the cable back in the car I found a spot under the rear seat riser that wasn't double skinned metal or obscured by cables and pipes.
I used a 1" sheet metal hole-punch. If you're going to be doing a lot of installs, these are a necessity! So much cleaner than a hole saw!

Then secured with some cable ties and insulated p-clips.

sinister-kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 65 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

And finished it all off with some techflex and heatshrink.

Old 04-15-2012   #78
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 94 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Nice. Coming along nicely, now. Can't wait to see it done.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #79

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 43 vwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enoughvwjmkv will become famous soon enough

sub'ed!
vwjmkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #80

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 BakedCookies will become famous soon enoughBakedCookies will become famous soon enoughBakedCookies will become famous soon enoughBakedCookies will become famous soon enoughBakedCookies will become famous soon enoughBakedCookies will become famous soon enough

now that's some nice neat work!
BakedCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #81

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 metalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enough

Very nice. Like where this is heading.
metalball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Update (finally!!)
Got the distro cradle painted and cleared. I got the sub done also, but had a reaction in the paint so will need to do that again later on once the weather has warmed up again.

I've run the speaker wiring front to back, just need to put terminals on both ends. The single rca from the H/U is also run. Since the 101E only has one line out, I'll be using the 'summing' feature on the 3Sixty. I won't have any fader ability, but I can live with that for now.

Old 06-24-2012   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Cover panels for the side panel and amp rack are done. Also had some decals cut from frosted crystal vinyl for the windows.

Old 06-24-2012   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Then started the arduous task of wiring up the switch panel and amp rack. To make install/removal a bit easier, I've used 6 & 4 pin plugs for the wiring between them.

I've used heavy duty battery connectors for the main power feed into the amp rack.

Here you can see the wiring for the LED lights and fans and also the barrier strips for the speaker wiring to connect to the amp rack.

And the rest of the amp rack wiring done (thank god!). I've probably got close to 10 hours in the wiring alone!

Here's the windows with the LED's on.

Old 06-24-2012   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

And last but not least, I got the RCA's for the mids & tweets done. I used Cat6 network cable for 4x twisted pairs.
First, strip the sheathing off the cable

Then solder the +v end, followed by some heatshrink

Then the earth, more heatshink and a good crimp

And finally, some techflex and labels

Ran out of heatshrink so couldn't get the sub leads done, but will do so next weekend.

Old 06-24-2012   #86

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 56 evangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enoughevangojason will become famous soon enough

Looking good!
evangojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #87

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 metalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enoughmetalball will become famous soon enough

Loving the progress.
metalball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangojason View Post
Looking good!
Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalball View Post
Loving the progress.
I'd be loving it more if happened a bit quicker!

Old 07-05-2012   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Sub RCA's are done

0 gauge ground made up, techflexed, heat shrinked, etc and bolted down to one of the rear strut bolts.

Amp rack bolted in place and RCA's run to the side panel

And speaker wiring labeled, heat shrinked, terminated and connected to the barrier strips

I have my bachelor party on Saturday, so there won't be any progress this weekend, but hope to have at least the sub in and playing before our wedding in 2-1/2 weeks

Old 08-12-2012   #90
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 94 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
And finished it all off with some techflex and heatshrink.

What diameter conduit did you use? What brand was it? I will probably be doing something similar so I can come in through the spare tire well w/o having to raise the floor in the back.

Thanks,

Jay

Quote:
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
Old 08-22-2012   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
What diameter conduit did you use? What brand was it? I will probably be doing something similar so I can come in through the spare tire well w/o having to raise the floor in the back.

Thanks,

Jay
Sorry about the slack reply mate! It's 30mm diameter conduit made by 'Marley', which is a kiwi manufacturer, so you'll have trouble locating it in the US I'd imagine! Shouldn't be too hard to find a similar product over there though.

Old 08-25-2012   #92
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Thanks for the reply.

Jay

Quote:
Old 09-02-2012   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Jay
No problem

Old 09-02-2012   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, after a few teething problems getting the 3Sixty to connect to the laptop via Bluetooth, I finally got the pretty blue light to work

The bad news is my sub amp is fuxored Even with no RCA's, it's putting out a high pitched noise through the sub. I'll send it up to Dee to see if it's worth fixing, but I may be on the look out for another amp.

In other news, I've got the tweets mounted in the factory sail panels. I ended up using the Dayton ND20's I had aside for my VW project, they were the only tweets in my stash that would fit behind the grills.

Mounting rings for the DLS MS6 mids are also done and have the first coat of epoxy resin on them.

I'll have it all done someday!

Old 09-02-2012   #95

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Tait Mobile Radio WGTN
Position:
Head Installer

Rep Power: 0 War Bandit NZL will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit NZL will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit NZL will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit NZL will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit NZL will become famous soon enoughWar Bandit NZL will become famous soon enough

Hey man if your sub amp ends up being worth to much to repair I've got a 1000d or a caliber i can hook you up with

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
War Bandit NZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Sweet, thanks man. I'll be in touch!

Old 09-22-2012   #97
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

I found a similar flexible conduit over here (at Home Depot). I believe it's called ENT. Having a hard time finding similar ends to yours for ENT. I found some that would work if I was using a non-flexible tubing, but that won't work...guess I'll keep looking. Do you know if those ends were specifically for the flexible stuff?

Jay

Quote:
Old 09-22-2012   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Yea the ends are designed so the conduit locks in to place when you push it in. I'd be happy to pick a couple up for you but I suspect shipping would be more than the parts are worth!

Old 09-22-2012   #99
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

I figured something out. I got a piece that snaps on the ENT and gives me a male threaded end...then I used a PVC coupler followed by a PVC 90 degree end. Whole thing was about $4...and then I'll just need the tubing (which is about $14).

I just spent like 15 minutes in the aisle at home depot looking at my options.

Jay

Quote:
Old 09-30-2013   #100
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Bump from the dead!

We decided to put the car up for sale, so I removed the Alpine 6-channel, front speakers and 3Sixty.2, leaving the sub and Fusion mono amp.
I replaced the front speakers with some old 8ohm Sanyo home audio units and re-installed the factory 'McIntosh' (Clarion?) tweeters, all running off the Alpine H/U. I was actually quite impressed with the results after a bit of tuning time on the H/U and swapping phase on the sub. I also modded the amp rack to centre the mono amp.

With the LED's on (hard to catch them around the sub in daylight)

Sadly this will be the last update for anyone still watching. As of yesterday, this is all that is left of the Suby.

Onwards and upwards!