LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Default Subaru GTB Wagon Build - SQ on a shoestring

Have made a good start on this one, so time for another Build log! The Car is my girlfriend's '00 Subaru GTB wagon.

This Build was orignally destined for a '99 B4 Sedan, but thanks to a stupid lady driver ignoring a Give Way sign, we were left with this...

The up-side is insurance came to the party with more than we were expecting to get (how often does that happen!?), so we were able to upgrade slightly. WIN!

2 litres of twin turbo, tiptronic goodness! We have a dog that regularly comes with us and the old sedan's rear interior was starting to reflect it so a wagon was the obvious chioce.

The plan is for a full SQ stealth install (3-way active fronts, a little rear fill and sub stage) yet be able to show it off when needed, spend as little as possible, sound like a high end system, retain the spare, and use as little trunk space as possible...not much to ask right!?

I have to give a big ups to a few guys...Bing, Trevordj, Thunderplains, Handcrafted, Scooter, Customtronic, and a few others I'm forgetting right now. Without your builds to scour through for inspiration, ideas and tips, I wouldn't have the motivation to make this install what it (hopefully) will be!

Source: Alpine CDE-101E

Processing: Lanzar Encore X10 electronic x-over

Speaker amp: Alpine 3566

Tweeters: (for now) some old Fusion's I have lying around to go in the factory sail panels - these will definatley be upgraded in the near future, the Fusions will just get me up and running.

Mid range - Orion XTR 4" in the kicks. Again, these may yet change to some TB 3" in the A-pillars with the new tweets if I'm not happy with the 4's in the kicks.

Mid bass: Alpine Type-R 6.5"

Rear fill: Yet to be decided - powered off the H/U in factory rear door postions

Sub amp: Fusion FP-600D

Subwoofer: IDQ10V2

Wiring: Assorted interconnects, Power cable, Speaker cable etc.

Power distrobution/fuseblock: Custom made

Sound deadening: Lots of it hopefully! I've used a bit of DMX so far,but hope to place an order with Second Skin shortly.

Through a some good luck on auction sites and a bit of horse trading, I've managed to get everything (except rear speakers, sound deadening, alloy for the distro blocks, and upholstery materials) for under $650.

Any way onto the build...
sinister-kustoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 sinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enoughsinister-kustoms will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Subaru GTB Wagon Build - SQ on a shoestring

Starting in the boot (trunk)...

Here's the proposed layout

The amps:

As you can see, they've both seen better day cosmeticly and not suitable for display the correct way up, especially the 3566 which somone has really butchered...so I will be mounting them upside down with the covers removed to show the internals.
Amp rack framework

Foiled ready to glass in the base

Last edited by sinister-kustoms; 01-09-2011 at 04:50 AM..
Old 01-09-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I spent 4 hours down at work over the Xmas break cutting, welding, drilling, counter sinking and tapping some brackets to securely hang the amps in their upside down position.

I drilled and tapped the four corners of the 3566 to mount the brackets using 4mm cap head screws.

The FP-600D brackets mount using the original screw holes which I drilled out and installed 4mm rivnuts to take the 4mm countersunk cap screws.

Closeup of one of the bars that the amp brackets will hang off. These are recessed into the amp rack lid and are held in place by 6mm countersunk cap screws and 6mm hurricane nuts

Mounted

And in the car

The opening it the centre is where the Power distrobution/fuse block will be.
Old 01-09-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Man, your amp rack is giving me all sorts of ideas now... EXCELLENT work!

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 jab4au will become famous soon enoughjab4au will become famous soon enoughjab4au will become famous soon enoughjab4au will become famous soon enoughjab4au will become famous soon enoughjab4au will become famous soon enough

Very, very nice work my friend..... I really like the brackets that you fabbed. Well done!
jab4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 85 yeldak99 will become famous soon enoughyeldak99 will become famous soon enoughyeldak99 will become famous soon enoughyeldak99 will become famous soon enoughyeldak99 will become famous soon enoughyeldak99 will become famous soon enough

Subscribed to see how this turns out.
yeldak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 jace314 will become famous soon enoughjace314 will become famous soon enoughjace314 will become famous soon enoughjace314 will become famous soon enoughjace314 will become famous soon enoughjace314 will become famous soon enough

Looking good so far! As a Subie owner I love checking in on other builds.
jace314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 87 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

beuaty, i didnt realise fusion was a reputable amp brand, i picked up a fusion amp awhile ago off fleabay for 50$ and when i blew it and tried to return it it ended up coming back to me guess the sellers ran off, but i ended up with a 80 lb paper weight that i sold at a yard sale for peanuts lol but that set was junk, that fusion amp looks solid. how old is it?
eviling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 50 slater will become famous soon enoughslater will become famous soon enoughslater will become famous soon enoughslater will become famous soon enoughslater will become famous soon enoughslater will become famous soon enough

if the rest of the Car comes along as nice as your Build on your amp racks. your going to have one good looking install. i was thinking about doing an amp rack like that for my car, but i was scared on how it would turn out. you have given me hope.
slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 Brian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enoughBrian_smith06 will become famous soon enough

sexy car. Those are called "legacy" here correct?

Kenwood, Eric Stevens, Hertz, Alpine, Stinger, Second Skin
Brian_smith06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
White Diamond Comm.
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 Splitf22 will become famous soon enoughSplitf22 will become famous soon enoughSplitf22 will become famous soon enoughSplitf22 will become famous soon enoughSplitf22 will become famous soon enoughSplitf22 will become famous soon enough

Nice skills! looking great!
Splitf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Thanks fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviling View Post
beuaty, i didnt realise fusion was a reputable amp brand, i picked up a fusion amp awhile ago off fleabay for 50$ and when i blew it and tried to return it it ended up coming back to me guess the sellers ran off, but i ended up with a 80 lb paper weight that i sold at a yard sale for peanuts lol but that set was junk, that fusion amp looks solid. how old is it?
It's pretty big down here, for the fact Fusion is a New Zealand company. That being said, most of their stuff is pretty entry level gear (borderline junk?). Their high end gear is good stuff though. The tweets I have are just cheapies...not sure how they're going to sound yet. The amp on the other hand is reasonably good. Think it's the '06 'Powerplant' model...the data sheets states it's CEA compliant, so I'm fairly sure it will make the suggested 550watts @ 1Ohm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_smith06 View Post
sexy car. Those are called "legacy" here correct?
Correct, it's a Legacy here also. The sedans were labeled 'B4' and the wagons are GT's - the B stands for Bilstein suspension (as far as I am aware). They are sweet cars!
Old 01-10-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Here's the sub box Build so far...
Originally I wanted to do a bandpass box for a nice smooth response, but didn't quite have enough room for the ports. If the wheel well was 4" to the right I would have been sweet So have gone for a ported box built to the ID specs of 1 c/ft tuned to 30Hz.
The spare tapped off and the bottom and middle boards in place

Fleece soaked in resin

Sitting in place. I put a layer of duraglass over the resined fleece and rounded the upper and lower transitions to make a nice smooth base for the f'glass.

After about 10 layers of mat...solid as fcuk!

Also got the first part of the false floor layed out
Old 01-10-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
S&S Customs
Position:
head broom pusher

Rep Power: 77 SSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enoughSSCustoms will become famous soon enough

Coming along nicely! In for the updates.
SSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 kenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nicekenikh is just really nice

Well done - excellent creativity.
kenikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 87 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister-kustoms View Post
Thanks fellas.

It's pretty big down here, for the fact Fusion is a New Zealand company. That being said, most of their stuff is pretty entry level gear (borderline junk?). Their high end gear is good stuff though. The tweets I have are just cheapies...not sure how they're going to sound yet. The amp on the other hand is reasonably good. Think it's the '06 'Powerplant' model...the data sheets states it's CEA compliant, so I'm fairly sure it will make the suggested 550watts @ 1Ohm
thats interesting because fusion is JUNKKKKKKK over here, we're talking BOSS qulity crap here. just pure junk, in fact, i almost had to pay sombody to take a amp\sub combo pack i had laying around off my hands just for them to take it

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
ZED audio, Hybrid Audio, FI audio, M-Audio, Custom carputer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
PS. Tell your boss to stop sending me pictures of his cock.
eviling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 425 FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviling View Post
thats interesting because fusion is JUNKKKKKKK over here, we're talking BOSS qulity crap here. just pure junk, in fact, i almost had to pay sombody to take a amp\sub combo pack i had laying around off my hands just for them to take it
Fusion sells a few pieces of stuff here that are rebranded Chinese crap. Fusion also sells some of the best marine audio gear you can get here in the States. You can get some of their higher end stuff here too, but it's hard to find. Once in a while Sonicelectronix will have a closeout on some random Fusion stuff.

Their higher end stuff is nice though. Very old school feeling, pressed paper cones, big rubber surrounds, big meaty magnets... Good stuff really.

Nice wagon. Looking forward to your build.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

I have this thing about amps: If they're exposed and being "shown off", I think they should all be from the same manufacturer and series... but I like the "exposed circuitry" look as an alternative.

Be careful about heat, though. Are you doing something to ventilate that box?
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Very nice!

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Sub box Build pics remind me of Chad's box. (A good thing.)
Looks pretty good so far.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Sub box Build pics remind me of Chad's box. (A good thing.)
Looks pretty good so far.

Jay
Have you got a link to it? I'd love to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondAudio View Post
I have this thing about amps: If they're exposed and being "shown off", I think they should all be from the same manufacturer and series... but I like the "exposed circuitry" look as an alternative.

Be careful about heat, though. Are you doing something to ventilate that box?
Yea I would have loved to have some nice matching cased amps, but being on a budget, I could be too picky. I have less than $150NZD in both amps so I can't complain!
Don't worry about the cooling...I'm onto that! There will be no less than 8 fans (4 pushing/4 pulling), which should rememdy any overheating issues.
Old 01-30-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I've been crazy busy with other things over the last 3 weeks so I havn't been able to get much done on this one, but did manage to spend some time on it yesterday. Any progress is good progress though I guess.
Got the first of the trim panels for the amp rack cut out

And here's some of the wiring bits that turned up last week 8)

This is the layout for the custom fused distrobution block. Starting with 25x25mm alloy rod, I'm going to mill it down to 20x25mm then drill and tap it for all the wiring and grub screws etc. One feed of 0guage in for both + and - with 3 feeds of 4 gauge out for all the amps and accessories.

Had a play with my new label printer. This is the fused distro for all the accessory feeds plus Power for the fans and lights. It will all be run through a relay switched by the ACC from the headunit
Old 01-30-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 107 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Have you got a link to it? I'd love to check it out.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-civic-si.html

Starts at around post 15.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here's the sub box Build so far...
Originally I wanted to do a bandpass box for a nice smooth response....

WHAT? I LOVE the build... Even more LOVE the Wagon.... Even more LOVE the fact its a Subaru.... but you're KILLING me with the even remote thought that anything bandpass is "nice", "smooth", or "responsive"... Seriously?

Bandpass... by its name & definition takes a sealed enclosure... shoots the output into another ported/quasi-tuned enclosure to focus on one narrow range of frequencies.

Bandpass enclosures are, by default, one-note, or one-region specific. Yes, I guess they can be "smooth" within the bandpass region, but... REALLY?

Your design would be AMAZINGLY musical & very loud sealed. You are going ported, ok... to each his own, but still... your "compromise" will EAT, digest, poop & walk all over any bandpass design, short of a crazy transmission-line type enclosure... WOW... just wow... there must be something about bandpass south of the equator that changes physics...

Love the build..

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazit08 View Post
Hmm, i don't know but this arrogant jack-ass (txwrxwagon) is giving me a headache. Do you have a life? Do you just like looking like a immature non helpful dick-head?
Nope... Just to help debunk some of the stupidity of DIYMA..
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Wow, I get the impression you don't like bandpass boxes!?
I'm definatley no expert on the subject, I was just going from the ID spec sheet
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%2...%20D2%20V2.pdf
Unless I'm reading it wrong, a bandpass enclosure would give by far a wider frequencey range?