LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011   #101
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 Subaru WRX hatch build

Got my RTA setup all hooked up to TrueRTA and have been playing around with it a bit. Tascam usb preamp (that also has a bunch of other ports to plug stuff in), Behringer ECM8000 mic (and calibration file from AVSforum RTA thread). I attached a preliminary RTA with the EQ settings I made by ear. Still needs a good deal of work and I am really limited by 5 PEQ bands and no independent R/L settings. Why woudl Alpine give you L/R separate crossover settings but not EQ? Doesn't make sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build 025.jpg (83.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg car_RTA_both_sides_heatrest.jpg (38.4 KB, 86 views)

2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring

Last edited by ecbmxer; 07-21-2011 at 11:32 AM..
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #102
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

Haven't updated anything in a while. I was considering swapping out my IDQ10v3 for some sort of 12" sub or putting it in a larger box to get better low end out of it, but decided against it because I really cannot put any larger of an enclosure in the back since I carry BMX bikes in there often. I decided to try stuffing the enclosure with pink fiberglass insulation vs the polyfill stuff I got from Michaels. Surprisingly it made a decent difference. I didn't figure I would be able to tell. I think my lows are better and I have a more even sub-bass response. Gonna RTA it to see if I can tell a difference that way.

Tomorrow I'm gonna re-seal the doors. I wasn't happy with the normal steel sheetmetal I used, so I got some plastic sheet and cutting knife from Lowes. I'm gonna just replace the sheetmetal to get better/cleaner seals and also remove this big white block that comes stock in the Subaru doors and extend the plastic sheet over the hole. I'll have pics to better illustrate what I'm saying. I'll RTA after also to see if I improve midbass at all.

Thats about it for now. I got a new set of OEM pillars from Subaru, so a new pillar build will be coming up soon to try and clean up my first try. The fiberglass is kinda separating from the pillar and they are a bit warped. Also gonna lose the pillar-mounted boost gauge in favor of a new cluster that houses it and (in the future) a wideband AFR gauge. Next round, the goal is going to be able wrap them with black vinyl, so gonna try to minimize hard curves. We'll see how it turns out.

2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring
Old 09-24-2011   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Alright, finally an update. I got the new a-pillars from Subaru and made new rings for the Trinities. This time I decided to try to minimize the outer diameter of the ring as much as possible. This way the pillars should be less obtrusive. So instead of routing a multi-step ring like I did before (PITA). Rather than having a step for the grill to sit on, I wanted it to sit right on the speaker frame. So I made a single ring from 3/4" MDF the same outer diameter as the speaker and then wrapped a piece of wood veneer I had around the outside.

The goal of these new pillars was to be less obtrusive and be able to wrap them with black vinyl. So they are going to be less on axis than my originals (which were essentially fully on-axis). I put the edge closer to the driver as far into the pillar as possible and the other edge set on top of the pillar trim. So they are probably 30 deg off axis.

I tested them this way just glued up before fiberglassing them in. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I didn't really notice a big loss in top end like I thought I would. Maybe if they were 45 deg off or more it would be worse, but I think it pushed the soundstage much further back (on the hood) and widened it. I also think it helped smooth out the response a bit. I RTA'd the new setup and compared it to the old setup (unfortunately not sure what the volume was at for the old measurement, so only good for a qualitative comparison). The top end roll off doesn't seem too different. I still have a weird peak at 7.6 kHz that I kind of can't get rid of, but thats a whole other issue.

I found it interesting that this new setup changed how the midbass sounded. It seems like I have better midbass now and now it seems better bumping the sub low pass crossover up to 80 Hz as well as the high pass from the midbass.

Well, here are some pics of the build process thus far. These pillars are going to be so much easier to finish than the others, especially since I purposely avoided the whole portion of the pillar that connects to the dash so it will fit back together than my original pillars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pillars 002.jpg (58.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Pillars 003.jpg (80.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Pillars 004.jpg (60.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Pillars 005.jpg (45.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Pillars 006.jpg (38.1 KB, 83 views)

Old 09-24-2011   #104
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 45 vapor77 will become famous soon enoughvapor77 will become famous soon enoughvapor77 will become famous soon enoughvapor77 will become famous soon enoughvapor77 will become famous soon enoughvapor77 will become famous soon enough

Following this, good work there. I'm about to try the same thing with XR3M LE's in my STI. Any tips are appreciated.
vapor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #105
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor77 View Post
Following this, good work there. I'm about to try the same thing with XR3M LE's in my STI. Any tips are appreciated.
Nice! Yea I definitely have some tips. There is a build from Bing on a 2008 Acura MDX on here that you should look at and copy if you can. First, when you make your rings that the speakers will mount to, make them as small as possible (not sure if you will have a press in grill or not, but try to make them the same overall diameter of the speaker, then wrap some material around the ring to give a recess if you want). Second, stay away from the very bottom of the pillar where it mounts to the dash. I know I had fit problems with my first pair because I pulled the cloth over the bottom end of the pillar. It also helps to keep that part flexible for reinstall, it can be a pain when its really rigid from fiberglass. Third, play with your mounting angles a bit. With yours, it will probably be fine totally off axis so maybe not a big issue, but take your time marking out where the rings will mount so everything is symmetric between the pillars, it would really bother me if mine were different. Fourth, when you pull your grill cloth, minimize the area of the pillar that you work with. On my first ones, I had the grill cloth covering half the pillar and finishing was a huge PITA. My new ones extend maybe 1-2" above and below my rings. And the last thing, would be make sure you don't mix your resin too hot, because it will warp the pillars. My first ones warped a bit I think. Good luck and be sure to post up some build pics!

Old 11-21-2011   #106
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

So I haven't updated this thing in a while. I finished my new set of pillars and wrapped them in vinyl. However, I made a bad choice on vinyl. I got the stuff local for free and it turned out when I pulled it tight, the textured lines really opened up and became noticeable. I finished them still, but will re-do them soon with All Sport 4way stretch vinyl. I will post up pics of the crappy vinyl and awesome pillars when I get a chance.

I also just today picked up a proper processor: Alpine H700. So I'm definitely psyched on that. I will be running it via AI-net from my W900BT head unit. I also believe that in the spring I am going to swap out my Massive Audio amps for some JL HD amps. I don't feel these amps are anything special, and I really cannot get to any of the controls with them mounted under my front seats. With 2 JL HD amps (600/4 and 750/1) stacked under the passenger seat, all the controls will be right there at the back. Then the fused distro block and H700 will be mounted under the driver seat. The HD amps should have a much lower noise floor than the Massive amps I suspect. I have my gains at about half or so and have some hiss on a silent track.

Old 06-22-2012   #107

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 phenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enough

I just saw this thread here and was wondering if you ever installed the PVC midrange baffles that I made for you. I see the MDF ones on an earlier page but nothing on the new ones from earlier this year.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #108
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I never bought PVC midrange baffles from you.

Old 08-21-2012   #109

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 phenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enoughphenryiv1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
I never bought PVC midrange baffles from you.
Must have had you confused. Maybe I found your thread when researching for the other guy.

Sorry.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #110
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

No worries man!

Old 04-26-2013   #111
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Time to update this old build thread! I'll get some new pics of where my system sits as of today, but I recently bought a Massive NX4 amp to replace my NX2 and a pair of H-Audio Enigma tweeters. I'm going to be installing them in the coming weeks very close to my Trinity midranges. Because of the limited 6ch processor output, I'm going to construct a couple of simple 12 dB/oct passive filters to HP the tweeter and LP the midrange. They will be LR2 and if I flip polarity of the tweeter, they should be in phase with the midrange.

Since installing my mids more off axis, I feel like am losing some detail and top end compared to when they were on axis. I'm hoping this will help with that significantly. I'm still debating on where I want to mount the tweeters and what kind of crossover point I want to use. I'm leaning toward a pretty high crossover, like 9kHz. But I am evaluating the tradeoff between going high and taking advantage of the wideband response of the Trinity or going lower (like 5-7kHz) to try and reduce beaming from the 3" mid. I do need to actually measure the true diameter of the mid to see what the actual beaming frequency is. Or I may throw one in a baffle and measure the off axis response at different angles to see what it looks like.

More updates will be coming! (with pics)

Edit: Oh yea, and I moved to Pittsburgh, PA last year. Just an hr down the road from Morgantown, WV, but there's probably more of an sq car audio scene here.....although I haven't met anybody who's into it yet

Old 06-22-2013   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Haven't updated this thread in a while! Been doing some work on the car recently. Primarily, adding tweeters so I have a 3way front stage. I was running the Massive NX4 amp from a single 2ch RCA and had it bridged to the Trinities. Now since I'm adding the tweeters I had to run another set of RCAs over and get some splitters for the HI output from my processor. That way I can set the highpass for my Trinities from the processor and cross the mids to tweets passively. Right now just have a cap on them real high for testing. Maybe 8-9kHz. I am going to put in proper LR2 crossovers on the mid and tweet in the next week or so.

Right now I unmounted the amps from under the seats so I can get to the connections and gains while tuning.

Next I had to build some tweeter pods. I decided to mount them in the sails as a compromise between good sound and aesthetics. I could have done them above the mids but it would have been really high and the driver side tweeter would have been pretty close to your ear. The pillar kind of creates a bit of an edge near the sail panel, but its probably better than more reflections from being mounted closer to the windshield.

Since I decided to mount them in the sails, I had to run new speaker wire into the doors. Always a PITA, but I managed to do it relatively easy. Used a piece of coat hanger with the speaker wire taped to it and some grease on it to push through the rubber boot.

While I was running the speaker wire into the door I had a chance to look at my door speakers and resin-coated MDF rings to see how they have been handling the weather. Not too bad! Just a bit of surface discoloration on the magnet, but nothing serious.

To build the pods I first cut out the face of the blank sail panel. I sort of traced around the tweeter and made it a bit larger. I played with the angles in the car playing some music until I was happy. Pointed a bit up and a bit back. More on axis than the Trinities, but not fully. I cut out some rings from a scrap of 1/4" MDF with a router and jasper jig. I glued them up with some hot glue and toothpicks, then pulled some speaker cloth over and brushed it with resin. After drying, I poured a mixture of duraglas and resin in it and made sure it filled in the corners.

Yesterday I applied some lightweight body filler. Today I did a quick rough sand. I still need to finish sand them and might need to still fill a few dips.

Ultimately, I'm going to wrap these in some black vinyl. I'm planning on pulling out my a-pillars as well and re-wrapping them. I used some cheap vinyl the first time and I stretched it so tight some of the wrinkles opened up. I'll probably get some 4way stretch.

After that I'm going to re-make the mid grills. I want to do something to match the tweeter grill. Like a black mesh style. I'll hopefully get some spare speaker grills from the local car audio shop that I can cut up and mount to the existing rings for my speaker cloth grills.

Also, while I was at it I finally got a new battery! I looked at DHPs and Optimas, but saw that Advance Auto is now carrying an AGM Platinum battery for $180. And there is a $50 coupon right now, so it was only $130! Best deal I've found on a proper AGM battery. Start ups are way quicker and now I'll be able to actually tune my system in the garage. My old battery would die if I ran the stereo for 5min with the engine off. FYI, anybody with a Subaru that takes a 35 size battery, you can fit a 34 which has way better specs than a 35.

Last edited by ecbmxer; 06-22-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Old 07-05-2013   #113

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 29 evilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enough

Interesting about the battery, and thanks for all the info... but why are your pics so tiny? Hahaha.

2012 Subaru STi Hatchback - Pioneer AVIC-X9310BT - JL XD700/5 - Focal P165 V15 front - Focal P 25 DB sub - Audio Integrations sealed sub box
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #114

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 TheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enoughTheBetterMethod will become famous soon enough

I like the way those tweeter pods look. Good work.

I have an 05 Outback, that came with the group35.
I pulled it out and put a 34 in it's place. Huge improvement.
It's about 25% more battery.
TheBetterMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
Interesting about the battery, and thanks for all the info... but why are your pics so tiny? Hahaha.
Yea, not really sure, haha. I should have just uploaded them here instead of linking to Flickr. I'll fix it for the next round of pics.

Old 07-09-2013   #116
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 45 WRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enoughWRX2010 will become famous soon enough

I have a 2012 STI and shows that my battery is a Group 35. good to know that the 34 will fit. Seems like most of the Subies use the same battery, except maybe the H6 engines.

Also, I am going to be modifying my sail panels to fit ESB Bluenote 25MM tweets similar to the way you did. Hopefully this weekend. Do you mind PM'ing me bigger pics of your pods since they are so small on here? Did you modify the attachment between the two pieces? I was thinking of epoxying them together without the screws because my tweets attach by a ring that threads onto the tweeter so I need room behind it to snug down the tweeter and will be cutting out quite a bit of the back part.

thanks and keep up the good work.

2012 Subie STI - build coming soon.
WRX2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #117
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2010 View Post
I have a 2012 STI and shows that my battery is a Group 35. good to know that the 34 will fit. Seems like most of the Subies use the same battery, except maybe the H6 engines.

Also, I am going to be modifying my sail panels to fit ESB Bluenote 25MM tweets similar to the way you did. Hopefully this weekend. Do you mind PM'ing me bigger pics of your pods since they are so small on here? Did you modify the attachment between the two pieces? I was thinking of epoxying them together without the screws because my tweets attach by a ring that threads onto the tweeter so I need room behind it to snug down the tweeter and will be cutting out quite a bit of the back part.

thanks and keep up the good work.
Yea no prob. I'll actually get the finished pics up on here of the tweeter pods. I'll upload them this time

I have them smoothed out and the tweeters installed right now with a crappy HP cap on them and the Trinities running without a LP. Still need to order some proper 4way stretchy vinyl so I can get them wrapped and the xover components to build passives to cross the tweeter to mid.

And if you need a battery, check out that deal at Advance Auto. Can't really beat it. I've run the stereo with car off up to 1/2 hr so far at decent volume and the car starts right up no prob. So I'm definitely liking the battery.

Old 07-18-2013   #118
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

So I finally got around to setting it up where I have a loopback setup for using REW, etc. I have this Tascam external sound board thing that I use to plug my Behringer mic into and provide phantom power. It also has RCA outputs, which is nice. So I used an extra RCA cable from my AUX in on my HU to the Tascam output. Works perfect! I should have some measurement data to put up soon.

Also, want to say that I like using REW way better than TrueRTA. It seems more intuitive and is easier to save and compare results. The main thing I want to try is doing some impulse measurements. Need to do some more reading first.

Old 11-05-2013   #119
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I wanted to throw up some preliminary pics of the newly wrapped a-pillars and tweeter pods. I think both turned out great. I'm just waiting on some crossover components and I'll have the tweeters running and can re-tune.

I'll post up some details later on of the wrapping process, etc.

Old 11-05-2013   #120

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 29 evilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enoughevilspoons will become famous soon enough

Very nice. Makes me want to put a processor in my STi while it's parked until my doctor says I can drive again.... but then I'd also want to go active on the front channels... I'd better just finish putting the basic upgrade stuff in my wife's car first, lol.

2012 Subaru STi Hatchback - Pioneer AVIC-X9310BT - JL XD700/5 - Focal P165 V15 front - Focal P 25 DB sub - Audio Integrations sealed sub box
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote