Class D Audio Amplifier
Class D Audio Amplifier
Hybrid Audio L1v2 Black -...
Hybrid Audio L1v2 Black -...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 162 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Default FS: the Ultimate Audio processor

In a nutshell, this processor will do almost anything you could want for a 3-way system. After having used or seen almost everything out there, I decided to Build my own solution. This has been a dream processor for me for a long time, and I will explain why.

The core of this processor runs on a program called console. Console is a program that works in the background without any user interaction to process any audio passing through the inputs to the outputs of your soundcard. In other words, you set it and forget it. You will use console as a host application for a variety of audio plugins.

From console, you simply "internally wire" your soundcard's inputs and outputs through an almost limitless possibility of audio plugins. Things like crossovers, EQ, limiters, expanders, reverb, room correction, etc. You can get really creative here. I will include your basic set of effects plugins such as limiters, phase control, time alignment, and expanders, but the real magic will be in the linear phase EQ. A linear phase EQ is one that allows you to cut or boost a frequency without "messing up" the phase response at that point. A very useful tool for correcting your system's frequency response without screwing up the staging and imaging.

Here's a screenshot illustrating the connection of a linear phase EQ between the input and output of a 2 channel soundcard. Now if I wanted to, I could chain 5 of these EQ plugins together giving me 25 bands of equalization. The only limit is your cpu's processing power.

The other core software to be included is Audiolense XO. It forms the basis of the room correction software. As you've probably heard me say before, the biggest impediment to good sound in a Car is the room. A simple way to understand it is that room correction attempts to correct both the time and frequency response of your system, rather than just frequency response as we are accustomed to. This is similar to what the Alpine h650, DEQX, and TacT processors attempt to do.

However, the key difference with Audiolense is much greater flexibility over both the measurement process and the correction processes. I absolutely love it. This is very critical to achieving good results, especially in a room as complex as the car. Having attempted other room correction solutions, I will say this one is Imho the only one that really works well in a car.

Check out this screenshot of the measurement process. Audiolense uses a sine sweep stimulus for maximum noise immunity. All you have to do is load your mic calibration file (or not), and hit new measurement.

Next, (this is the best part for you despairing Alpine h650 owners) you get to draw your own target response! This is the part where you tell the processor what you want the final frequency response to look like. You can add as many points as you need to shape the response to your liking. Notice you can also create very steep "brickwall" style highpass and lowpass crossovers using this target response designer. This kind of tuning is MUCH easier than the traditional way ... this way you just tell the computer what it should look like, rather than having to measure the response and adjust the bands yourself.

And lastly, here is the part where you get to "tweak" the correction and measurement settings. You can try any number of the included presets, or create your own.

Last but not least, the included hardware. I didn't skimp anywhere as you will find with many carputer setups. These are all solid components that will hide away in a discreet compact amp looking chassis, and should give you strong and trouble free performance in a car.

1. voompc black case + m2-atx carputer Power supply (looks like a small Car amplifier, along with Power supply that takes care of the interface, bootup, and standby in a car... very plug and play. measures 8.3" x 10" x 2.2" )

2. DFI mini-itx socket 479 motherboard (fits pentium M processors)

3. 1gb pc3200 kingston hyperx memory

4. pentium m 745 1.8ghz 2mb cache

5. coolermaster mini cpu fan

6. Seagate EE25 series 5400.1 hard drive 2.5 inch 20gb (EE25 series is made specifically for car applications to withstand extreme temperature, vibration, and shock.)

7. EMI 2:6 usb soundcard. This badass USB soundcard needs no introduction. One of the most stable, high quality compact usb solutions I've seen. Very robust drivers. Digital input and output, and 2 analog input and 6 analog outs. I almost hate to part with this one as they are very hard to find these days and even harder to replace. Record/Play at 24 or 16bit 44/48khz, and zero latency monitoring.

Everything is setup and ready to go. All the software you need is installed, and already registered. I will transfer the licenses to you upon payment. I also have Windows XP ready to boot and startup Console with the appropriate configuration.

All you have to do is install the unit into your car and configure Console with the plugins you'd like to use, and begin your room correction measurements with Audiolense (if you choose to use it).

If you want to take your setup to the next level with an almost unlimited amount of tweaking power, this will do it. I've used it for a few weeks and was most impressed by it's potential. Out of all the equipment I've used over the years, this one by far made the biggest impact in my setup. It was also the easiest to work with in terms of getting things the way I wanted to sound with the minimum amount of fuss. If you've never used an expander or linear phase EQ before, you will be in for a pleasant surprise. Using Audiolense is also the first time I've been able to break through the plateau I've been at for the last several years in terms of SQ using stock locations. Staging, imaging and tonality have all been much improved by using the right kind of room correction, along with a foam dummy head with 2 mics located in the ears (not for sale)...although I'll help you setup your own binaural test rig

Unfortunately, I really need cash more than I need a great sounding car at the moment so this has to go. I'm also selling off my watch collection if anyone is interested they're on Ebay

I've already quadruple verified that everything is working 100% and will not accept returns on this item, so please don't ask me to take it back because you can't get it working. Screenshot of the system POST:

I will be more than willing to help you set everything up (within reason), but please be aware that although I find it rather simple to use, if you are completely computer or audio illiterate this may not be the solution for you. If you can do your own amp install and know how to Build your own machine, you should be fine.

I've got about $2k in hardware and software invested. I'm asking $950 shipped, plus I'll offer troubleshooting support. Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have any questions.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

Default Re: FS: the Ultimate Audio processor

HOLY CRAPOLA THATS AWESOME!!!!!
newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

As a computer-building junkie, I almost want to toss my K.I.S.S rule for my trucks new system and go for this. But, I guess the baby's room should come first. Think a newborn would appreciate perfect sound?

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Retired from DIYMA Market

Rep Power: 118 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

I will second this is one BADASS setup. I went a slightly cheaper route (and because Audiolense wasn't available at the time) but I have to agree with npdang. Console and the VST plugin route with a carpc is literally awesome. (It's what I got going on). If he has already done the dirty work for you setting it up, then that's 75% the battle. The second battle is knowing how to use it.

That is an AWESOME deal for the lucky winner.

npdang-

I want to know more on your foam dummy head measurement method, as I have been experimenting with that too. Expand on your tutorial maybe? Maybe show difference of results?

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 167 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

nutz. all this just to bump some britney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 118 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeboa View Post
nutz. all this just to bump some britney?
If that's what you are into....why not.

More resources for ASIO/VST plugins on your carpc. Whoever picks this up, we would love for you to contribute your take on it.

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php...g_via_Software
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...tuning-pc.html

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
Old 12-10-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 104 ///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road

what an awesome deal, thats nearly the price for the software alone!

any suggestions for people needing 8 preouts though?

2013 VW GTI
iPad, Alpine H800/C800, Illusion C6 / C4CX / C12, JL HD600/4, HD750/1
///Audience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 100 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBaller5 View Post

You might could try 2 USB sound cards...

Or you can do As I do now, I use the amps Xover for the sub/midbass crossover, as i only have 3 pairs out of the processor, but needed that plus one sub out..
felix509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 162 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
I will second this is one BADASS setup. I went a slightly cheaper route (and because Audiolense wasn't available at the time) but I have to agree with npdang. Console and the VST plugin route with a carpc is literally awesome. (It's what I got going on). If he has already done the dirty work for you setting it up, then that's 75% the battle. The second battle is knowing how to use it.

That is an AWESOME deal for the lucky winner.

npdang-

I want to know more on your foam dummy head measurement method, as I have been experimenting with that too. Expand on your tutorial maybe? Maybe show difference of results?
Thanks. The foam dummy head I bought off ebay for $15. The mic used is the good old panasonic electret, I have the model # here somewhere. I just drilled a small hole and used some clay and mounted them in the ears (you can even buy a full size dummy and hair as they aren't that expensive) You'll need a stereo mic input on your soundcard and some modest phantom power. You'll also need something like Praxis which can do a 2 channel measurement, or a way to average 2 separate measurements which Audiolense does. I find the results to correlate better with what I hear than a standard 1 mic measurement.

Also, you notice Audiolense can do up to 65k taps? Where as the Alpine 650 they brag about their 512 taps lol.

Old 12-10-2007   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Quote:

You would need a new soundcard. I haven't done the research, but there are some pricey options out there that will even do 16 or 32 channel output.

Old 12-10-2007   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

To answer a question, I use VNC to remotely control the processor with my laptop. It will allow you to connect with your laptop and see the desktop of the carputer to control.

Old 12-10-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:

Well if you lose the case, you could do a PCI soundcard. The easiest option would be an M-Audio 1010LT.

or if you want to use a USB soundcard, then if you could locate an ESI-pro Gigaport AG it's 8 channels. You would just need to use another program called "Virtual audio Cable" for "routing" the audio player's sound output to the Console application.

There could be other options (such as the M-Audio Firewire410), but it depends on if that motherboard has a Firewire connection.

Old 12-11-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 kevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enoughkevin k. will become famous soon enough

Bump for a great guy and a good friend...

"Drugs won't change you. Religion won't change you. What's the matter with you?"
kevin k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Thanks Kev

Gotta imagine all the possibilities you can do with this thing... a de-esser to remove sibilance... all kinds of stereo and reverb effects to widen and deepen your soundstage.. and on and on.

Old 12-11-2007   #15
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN .... DAMN DAMN!!!

I didn't know options such as this existed. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for prior to bank rolling a Zapco solution. Not that I am disappointed in my decision, but geesh.... NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

Even if I scrape my pennies together I probably don't have a chance in hell of affording this right before x-mas. Gift purchases and charitable contributions hit me heavy this year.

Good luck. I'll be watching to see who snags this up.

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 aviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enough

Dibs.
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Sold. Thanks all.

Old 12-20-2007   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 xcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to xcoldricex

damn. was planning on getting this when i came back from my trip
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 88 aviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enoughaviator79 will become famous soon enough

I just hope I can figure out how to use the damn thing...
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #20

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 xcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enoughxcoldricex will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to xcoldricex

send it over to me and i'll figure it out
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote