DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

FS: McIntosh MCC446 and Audison Bit One NIB

9K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  linuxpro 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a bunch of hardware without taking size into consideration. I was going to go with a 6-channel amp, the Bit One processor, and run an active 3-way front stage. Unfortunately, my car (Mercedes SLK-350) is WAY to small for the McIntosh amp, and it would be a major PITA to route 6 RCAs and speaker cables from front to back.

So, I'm going with a passive x-over setup and an Audison LRx/VRx to drive two channels, and will be selling the other gear I already bought. I'm open to trades if you have an LRx 2.9 (or better) in good condition.

The Gear:

McIntosh MCC446 6-channel amp: $600

4 x 55w + 2 x 110w @ 4 ohms (rated at 12v) THD <= 0.005%
in good condition, a few scratches on the fins. I paid twice as much, but figure I'll take a loss since I was the ignoramus who bought it without checking dimensions. It's been powered up and all channels were working when tested.

Audison Bit One: $600

This is brand new, in the box, and will come with the receipt (I just bought it last week). The authorized dealer I bought it from will honor the full warranty, as long as you keep the receipt that I include with it. The only reason I'm selling is because I've decided to keep my first install simple and go with a passive setup.

I will post pics later tonight when I get home and have access to the gear and a digital camera.

PM if you are interested.

See less See more
#6 ·
what an awesome amp for someone's front stage!

Here's a link to the innards of the 440, a predecessor with similar design (but the 446 has more powa!)

McIntosh MC440

Neat amp you got there....most of the builds I try to help people with have a total budget of ~$600, so they probably won't see the beauty in this amp. Hopefully another DIY'er will.

Ebay has one going for about this price just starting, but it will probably end up MUCH higher. $600 is a steal IMO.

#7 · (Edited)
OK, I'm back from the weekend, with some pics of the stuff for sale...

As I said, the McIntosh MCC446 cosmetically is about a 6/10. I've attempted to capture any scratches in the photos, as well as the wear to some silkscreened words on the aluminum end-strips (the word "powerguard" has some wear). The pics were taken with a Google phone, so I apologize for the low quality, I was trying to get these up quickly for people that have expressed interest already.

This amp is a freaking tank, it's large and weighs probably close to 20-30lbs. This particular model (MCC446) has a power rating of 55 watts x 4 channels + 110 watts x 2 channels (rated at 12v, it will produce a whole lot more than that easily). All while keeping the THD to under 0.005% (better than 99.99% of the Class-A extreme hi-fi home amps like the Krells).

These amps still sell for well over $1000 on ebay all the time, so take advantage of my impatience to get a new amp that will fit my car, and pick this thing up for half what you'd pay anywhere else. If there was ANY way this would fit in my trunk, I wouldn't even think about selling it.

Pics of the Bit One coming next...

#12 ·
This particular model (MCC446) has the highest power ratings of any McIntosh 6-channel amp ever built.
Sorry man, you're wrong. The MC4000 was the most powerful Mac at 100x4 & 300x2. But yours is definitely powerful and you have a hell of a great price. Good Luck man. I love these amps.

#8 ·
OK, I opened the Bit One's box to get these pics. Hope any questions are answered. I specifically looked for the software version which appears to be 1.3 (on the CD).

The Bit One, again, is brand new and in the box, totally unopened. I will include the receipt from the authorized dealer who has agreed to support the Bit One no matter who buys as long as they keep the receipt. I will be including the receipt with the sale. This item is less than 2 weeks old.

#9 ·
And finally, pics of the car that I was trying to cram all this stuff into. As you can see, she just ain't big enough to get that McIntosh amp into. Totally bummed about that. But I love this damn car anyway. Best car I have ever owned, hands-down. I love this car more than I love my girlfriend, and they both know that.

This car has been modified pretty heavily, but kept stealthy and stock-looking on purpose. She's a sleeper. And yeah, she's killed more than her fair share of M3s, 335is, Caymans, 911s, etc. 385rwhp, 390lb/ft tq @ 2900RPM, 14" rotors with 6-post calipers to slow her down when necessary (not often). Custom sub-frame connectors and sway bar keep her planted, as do the coilovers and the 5-link rear. The front license plate has been removed and the nose shaved, the rear plate has been treated to prevent photography, the window glass replaced with plexi and tinted to 15%... along with a number of other mods. I gotta stop before the cops find this thread.
:D

#11 ·
Yeah, funny you mention it...

I've narrowed it down, pretty much, to the Helix H400, the Arc Audio Minis, and the Audison VRx/LRx series amps. All those will fit in my car, as they are all under 9" wide. Will probably end up going with an Audison amp, since I've got the Hertz components.

To anyone looking at the Bit One or the McIntosh MCC446, I'm open to trades. I'm mostly looking for Audison amps, and am also looking for DDIN head-units such as the W505, DNX8120, etc. We can work something out. Hit me up if you have something and would like to work a deal.

#16 ·
Sure. I've agreed to pay shipping and insurance on the McIntosh, so I guess it'd only be fair to do the same with the Bit One. I'd have to pay shipping to send it back anyway.

So yeah, the price on the Bit One will be $600, which includes shipping/insurance.

#17 ·
Checking on something - then I might well pick up your B-1 soon.

Less

#18 ·
a sinfoni would do well for your passive set-up;)

#20 ·
OK, the McIntosh has been sold. Thanks, darsum!

Now, anyone interested in this Bit One, let me know. I'll be calling the dealer today and might exchange it on a 2-channel Audison VRx. This is your last chance to get a killer deal on the Bit One. Trust me, you won't find it brand-new (with full support, warranty, receipt, etc) ANYWHERE for $600. And that price includes shipping and insurance!

I'm also interested in trades for:

Audison VRx/LRx amps, or Arc Audio KS/SE series amps
Kenwood DNX-8120
Zapco Ref 1000.4

Obviously, if you had any of the above and the value was higher than the Bit One, I'd cough up some cash to make up the difference.

#24 ·
Funny you mention it because the VRx 4.300.2 is actually the amp I'd love to own. I can't seem to find any used or online for a decent price, though (I'm not paying $1500 for an amplifier).

The Arc Audio KS 300.4 has almost identical specs, is very small, and can be found online for around $300-$500, so it's become my primary candidate. Supposedly, it will run 2 channels at 350 watts, but I'm curious how real that rating is.

#22 ·
Sorry, it might be a bit before I can make the decision on the Bit One... tough decision and I don't want to make it hasty then regret something later. Nice unit though obviously!

Also, whoever got the McIntosh 6 channel just got one handful of amp! Generates a ton of power and never lets you hear the clipping unless you let it off its leash.

#23 ·
Sorry, it might be a bit before I can make the decision on the Bit One... tough decision and I don't want to make it hasty then regret something later. Nice unit though obviously!

Also, whoever got the McIntosh 6 channel just got one handful of amp! Generates a ton of power and never lets you hear the clipping unless you let it off its leash. I actually ran a jumper from the powerguard led to an led in my dash and now I can just see when I'm over driving it... otherwise the only way I know is if I notice some compression in the dynamic range. Enjoy it!

Less

#25 ·
The McIntosh MCC446 is SOLD.

New price on the Bit One is $575, shipped and insured.

If I can't sell the Bit One by Friday, I will be returning it to the dealer and taking exchange on an Audison VRx Chrome Shadow. I paid $680 for the Bit One, and will include the receipt (which gives you full support from the dealer). Again, this offer is only valid until Friday, at which point I'm going to send this back.

#26 ·
sinfoni is better than the shadow. C'mon, guy, we all know what you want....

#27 ·
I'm looking for wattage since I will be driving passive crossovers. I don't really want the VRx, I'd rather get an Arc Audio KS or SE. But if I have to exchange the Audison Bit One, I'll probably have to choose an Audison amp.

If anyone has an Arc Audio SE that they'd like to trade, I'd definitely be interested. Basically, I'm looking for a lot of clean power to 2 channels.

#29 ·
I've decided to return the Bit One, and the dealer has agreed to refund me, so I will be returning the unit instead of selling it.

And for those who might be worried about problems with the Bit One: don't worry. There are over 100 Bit Ones currently installed and only a handful are having problems, and those that are will be fully supported by Elettromedia. It's normal for brand new technologies to have a few bugs, and the Bit One's issues are pretty minimal. Once the few buggy units get resolved, 100% of the Bit One owners are going to be some very lucky folks.

It's also one more reason to only buy from authorized dealers. My dealer was very helpful, and has agreed to fully refund my purchase. He is also helping the owners of buggy units to get their problems worked out, and is going above and beyond to do so. Just one more reason why I don't buy stuff off ebay. And since this dealer also sells the Eclipse line, I'm going to be picking up the new Eclipse AVN726e (or whatever it's called) from him soon!

Anyway... good luck to all. This thread is closed.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.