LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 107 TrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to all

Default Audiophile Audiophoolery

LOL I watched this EEV blog video on youtube a while back and totally forgot about it. Then I saw it again today and I just have to say.....damn he nailed it right on the head.

Take a look below.

[YOUTUBE]
#29 - Audiophile Audiophoolery - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

You guys just have to take a look at it, trust me you'll never be the same. This applies to any AUDIO equipment.

Love the last minute of the video, "you'll hear the difference, just dont expect your friends too." lol.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.

Last edited by TrickyRicky; 04-06-2012 at 01:00 PM..
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA super monkey!

Rep Power: 159 minbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of lightminbari is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Audiophile Audiophoolery

love it! I will say, there are diffrence in cables. but you have to go super cheap to hear it. the $3 walmart ones are niosey compared to $15 ones. but that is the limit to what I will put on cables. kimber Kable is prolly who he is refering to. $16k for a 1 meter pair of RCA for thier most expensive series..........stupid!

Original post whore!
Disclaimer:Opinions of the above are the property of the poster

2013 Fiesta, Stock Sync HU |AC LC2i | Phoenix Gold EQ215i | Soundstream SA120 -> ID CD1eMH | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> ID X65 | JL 500/1 -> (2) 15" Pyle PL1590BL in IB
minbari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 107 TrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to all

Correct, I agree with the differences between cheap interconnects and good quality interconnects, but I'll never spend any more than 35bucks on RCA's (I usually stick with 5or 6m).

But same goes for any piece of audio equipment, as Dave mentioned in the vid above..... now even electrolytic caps mention their "AUDIO" Grade. Who here knows better than Dave?

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
Old 04-06-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

EEVblog is great stuff, even if Dave is a bit biased and set in his ways (but what engineer isn't?). If you're looking to buy a scope or a DMM, his test equipment shootouts are priceless.

2011 MINI Cooper S :: [build log]
HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Neil_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Yep, I've watch probably half of his vids on youtube (some are pretty long).

Old 04-06-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

There was an audio myths workshop video on YouTube by the guy with the bass trap company, I'll see if I can dig that one up. It's been posted quite a few times here, but one of the most informative videos ever made on the subject of audio.

HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Old 04-06-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Must be this vid.

[YOUTUBE]Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Old 04-06-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
Must be this vid.

[YOUTUBE]Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]
Yea, that's the one.

Old 04-06-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Bumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enoughBumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enoughBumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enoughBumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enoughBumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enoughBumpin' Goalie will become famous soon enough

The last 12 seconds are words of wisdom.

My vehicle:
Sounds good.
Bumpin' Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 64 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

I subscribed to his YouTube channel a few months ago. Dave makes some great videos.

Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, QES-1220 x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill
trumpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Am glad am not the only one that watches his vids. His videos are very educational. I also watch other youtube vids from afrotechs, thecoolchem, speakerguy and some other members that mess with old school electronics.

Old 04-08-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 81 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

He had me crackin' up. I'll have to check out the rest of his videos. Thanks
P.S. Are these, "afrotechs, thecoolchem, speakerguy" the usernames of the channels? Will have to find out in a bit. If not, links would be nice. Thanks again.

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
P.S. Are these, "afrotechs, thecoolchem, speakerguy" the usernames of the channels? Will have to find out in a bit. If not, links would be nice. Thanks again.
Yep. Youtube has a partnership program that sends you some of their ad money to support you making videos. Quite a few have invested quite a bit of time and some cash and made some truly awesome channels.

Some of the funniest are the survivalist / apocalypse prepper channels. I have no problem with being prepared, but some of these guys just look and act like total crazies Great entertainment value

Old 04-08-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

cooldudeclem, afrotechmods, cassettemaster, eevblog, hexibas, drjctu, neekstv, allamericanfiveradio - This are some of the channels I watch, I spell the names correctly so you can see/find their vids/channels.

All of them are related to electronics/audio. I missing a few channels that deal with speakers - which is about a young guy messing with vintage/old speakers. Anything he can find, sometimes he mentions about speakers he finds in trash piles or flea market. Good vids, very entertaining and educational.

Old 04-10-2012   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Rep Power: 964 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

I think we all fell for some audiophool terminology at some point in this hobby. Some wise up whereas others continue to be suckered out of their money in a marketing scheme that is no better than your typical Nigerian email scam. I'm still waiting for the real ballers to show off their custom amplifiers with solid gold circuit board traces.

For an interesting read, see this as stolen from another thread: NwAvGuy

2013 GTI Driver's Edition - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU with Stage 2 DSG
ChrisB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 64 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
cooldudeclem, afrotechmods, cassettemaster, eevblog, hexibas, drjctu, neekstv, allamericanfiveradio -
I unsubscribed from cooldudeclem because he's so godawful awkward on camera. Hexibase lost my interest because of not enough car audio videos, but I do check in on his channel now and then.

Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, QES-1220 x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill
trumpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Kh2456 will become famous soon enoughKh2456 will become famous soon enoughKh2456 will become famous soon enoughKh2456 will become famous soon enoughKh2456 will become famous soon enoughKh2456 will become famous soon enough

That guy is so annoying. I watched 30 seconds of the vid and almost killed myself.
Kh2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Twisted pair and directional cables with a drain wire is snake oil? I agree with everything else, but not sure about bringing those two things in to the mix. They seem like they have valid benefits. Now, $500 for it, no. But $30 or $50, yea sure. I also will pay more for an RCA based on the heads and what they look like. I LOVE the old Stinger Expert RCAs, super heavy metal heads and sexy design.
Salad Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
Twisted pair and directional cables with a drain wire is snake oil? I agree with everything else, but not sure about bringing those two things in to the mix. They seem like they have valid benefits. Now, $500 for it, no. But $30 or $50, yea sure. I also will pay more for an RCA based on the heads and what they look like. I LOVE the old Stinger Expert RCAs, super heavy metal heads and sexy design.
Directional cables ARE snake oil... I'm talking about the kind that have been "burned in", the kind that boasts nonsense like, "conductors are actually a sea of microscopic diodes". Where people think they sound better in one direction than the other.

There's nothing bad about having a shield connected to a drain wire on on end of the cable, though. I do that both in my car and all the miles of aircraft cabling use at my job.

Old 04-13-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
Directional cables ARE snake oil... I'm talking about the kind that have been "burned in", the kind that boasts nonsense like, "conductors are actually a sea of microscopic diodes". Where people think they sound better in one direction than the other.

There's nothing bad about having a shield connected to a drain wire on on end of the cable, though. I do that both in my car and all the miles of aircraft cabling use at my job.
Oh wow, never heard of that before. I'm not in to nor do I care about home audio, so I probably miss out on most of the cable snake oil.
Salad Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
Oh wow, never heard of that before. I'm not in to nor do I care about home audio, so I probably miss out on most of the cable snake oil.
Yea.. Electrons don't really car which way they go down a wire. It's AC anyway, if their pitch held true, they'd end up clipping half their signal. How's that for audiophile quality?

Old 04-13-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 883 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post

Thank you for clarifying that. and as Neil noted it IS a standard for cables to be directional, just not in terms of electron flow

Kinda tough to screw that up with an XLR but for 1/4" and RCA, direction should be noted.
chad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Also twisted wires serve no purpose unless you have a balanced signal....I'd say about 85% of the members here have unbalanced so the twisted RCA's are useless. They do look pretty though but thats it.

Also had a conversation with my brother-in-law about power wire. He mentioned the welding wire they use is about 4g and has very tiny strands and lots of them when compared to my Stinger 400series 1/0 gauge wire. He also mentioned the jacket on my wire is twice as thick as welding wire, but mentioned welding wire has a though jacket and has met certain critiria in the industry. He was pretty much saying the wire I had was an "over-kill" on both rating and jacket size. I only got it cause it was a fraction of the retail.

Old 04-13-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 883 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

I just use welding cable, another reason is that welco-flex (Harris) has a jacket, and a teflon inner jacket it makes it SUPER flexible, like wet noodle flexible.
chad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

The one true SQ freak

Rep Power: 95 SQfreak will become famous soon enoughSQfreak will become famous soon enoughSQfreak will become famous soon enoughSQfreak will become famous soon enoughSQfreak will become famous soon enoughSQfreak will become famous soon enough

I have no idea what you guys are talking about!! I only get the best SQ's from solid silver, 2" thick, single stranded, cryo-frozen RCA's that were blessed with holy water from Buddhist monk then dried in direct sunlight at the equator. The sold gold RCA tips with emerald dust inlay also help create an open and airy soundstage with out masking the crisp upper dynamics of the mid-level tonality.

Pssshhtt and that guy says Im the crazy one? Wha'evah!

I have run a bunch of stuff over a lot of years. I enjoy music for it's own sake. That is why I'm here.
SQfreak is offline   Reply With Quote