HIGHER END AMP SQ IS A MYTH - Page 139 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017   #3451

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 BMW Alpina will become famous soon enoughBMW Alpina will become famous soon enoughBMW Alpina will become famous soon enoughBMW Alpina will become famous soon enoughBMW Alpina will become famous soon enoughBMW Alpina will become famous soon enough

Default Re: HIGHER END AMP SQ IS A MYTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Trust me.... I have many $1000's in equipment at home waiting to be installed....

But right now .... I have a std OEM system in my E90 wide band mids in the door bass under your butt rears and no tweeters and my IPhone connected to the BMW AUX and for now it's decent enough to listen to music while I drive

For some reason the E90 sounds a lot better than my F10 OEM system....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use to have a 2005 E90 with the second from the base sound system,
it was before the facelift on the E90... no bluetooth too.
it came with sub under the seat, mid in the door and tweeter in the a pillar.
Mine is the RHD version back in my home country...
yours don't have tweeter?
anyway, yes it sound quite good for standard OEM system...
BMW Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017   #3452
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Alpina View Post
I use to have a 2005 E90 with the second from the base sound system,
it was before the facelift on the E90... no bluetooth too.
it came with sub under the seat, mid in the door and tweeter in the a pillar.
Mine is the RHD version back in my home country...
yours don't have tweeter?
anyway, yes it sound quite good for standard OEM system...

Mine has no tweeter also RHD... pretty decent actually

Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3453

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 58 ssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enough

Interesting, I'm a big Sounstream guy (my handle) and am in the midst of install in my older E39 M5. Had the dsp system with 2 IB 10s. Sounded decent but had to put my old stash to some use. Now running Reference 10Rs and 2 Class A Picasso's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HU - Dynavin E39 N6
Midbass - SI TM65 Mid/Tweet - BG Neo8PDR Subs - Soundstream 10R IB (soon) Processing - Phoenix Gold/DSP tbd Amps - Soundstream MC500, Reference Class A Picasso
ssclassa60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3454

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 mbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Trust me.... I have many $1000's in equipment at home waiting to be installed....

But right now .... I have a std OEM system in my E90 wide band mids in the door bass under your butt rears and no tweeters and my IPhone connected to the BMW AUX and for now it's decent enough to listen to music while I drive

For some reason the E90 sounds a lot better than my F10 OEM system....

E90 is the easiest upgrade EVER. Stock locations are good, depending on HU, signal is flat. Morel is almost a straight swap (need to make thin adapters -- or call Musicar). Even without DSP, these cars are just great for stock location upgrades. woofers under the seats only play 70-200 so no need for upgrade there!!!!!!

BMW >> Mobridge DA3 >> Arc 600/4 to Morel 230 tweets/Morel Hybrid 4" mids and Arc 600/4 to stock Harmon Kardon 8" mid-basses and single 10W3.
mbradlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3455
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradlawrence View Post
E90 is the easiest upgrade EVER. Stock locations are good, depending on HU, signal is flat. Morel is almost a straight swap (need to make thin adapters -- or call Musicar). Even without DSP, these cars are just great for stock location upgrades. woofers under the seats only play 70-200 so no need for upgrade there!!!!!!

Gonna run a passive system - kit 7 with crossblock and a Sony and a HV Venti for the fronts and Thesis Due for the subs - gonna use either one or 2 Focal 33WX subs

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3456

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 mbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enoughmbradlawrence will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Gonna run a passive system - kit 7 with crossblock and a Sony and a HV Venti for the fronts and Thesis Due for the subs - gonna use either one or 2 Focal 33WX subs

Curious, redo door to put 6.5 in? That's way more work than my simple "plug and play" with slim woofers underseats.

BMW >> Mobridge DA3 >> Arc 600/4 to Morel 230 tweets/Morel Hybrid 4" mids and Arc 600/4 to stock Harmon Kardon 8" mid-basses and single 10W3.
mbradlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3457
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradlawrence View Post
Curious, redo door to put 6.5 in? That's way more work than my simple "plug and play" with slim woofers underseats.

Yeah that's my plan redo the door to fit the midbass drivers - use possibly the stock 4" position for the midrange and sail for the tweeters

Just need to investigate the PLD on the drivers to try get them close to each other on each side

Use the limited Sony DSP and hope for the best - all else fails - Helix DSP PRO MKii will be used

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3458
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Rainstar will become famous soon enoughRainstar will become famous soon enoughRainstar will become famous soon enoughRainstar will become famous soon enoughRainstar will become famous soon enoughRainstar will become famous soon enough

I come from the speaker home theater world.

Using the same pair of speakers, cables, power brick, and just changing the amp.

Class A 40wpc Single Ended Triode tube amp $6000msrp
vs
Class D 100wpc solid state amp $3000msrp

The tube amp is better at everything. bass is not as flabby, vocals are smoother. and highs are not overly bright and shrieking.
I am not sure why the class A at a lower power rating using 87db/1W efficiency speakers are a lot louder than the class D amp.

Suffice to say I sold the class D and I now love tubes.

I went to a purist meet someone using An Audionote $100,000 tube amp 45wpc, I was jealous of how that sounded. TLDR it is just my opinion that you do hit the glass ceiling, louder is not better, there are huge diminishing returns at some point. but overall I do see higher end amps > an average amp.

One day Ill be on time.
Rainstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3459
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainstar View Post
I come from the speaker home theater world.

Using the same pair of speakers, cables, power brick, and just changing the amp.

Class A 40wpc Single Ended Triode tube amp $6000msrp

vs

Class D 100wpc solid state amp $3000msrp

The tube amp is better at everything. bass is not as flabby, vocals are smoother. and highs are not overly bright and shrieking.

I am not sure why the class A at a lower power rating using 87db/1W efficiency speakers are a lot louder than the class D amp.

Suffice to say I sold the class D and I now love tubes.

I went to a purist meet someone using An Audionote $100,000 tube amp 45wpc, I was jealous of how that sounded. TLDR it is just my opinion that you do hit the glass ceiling, louder is not better, there are huge diminishing returns at some point. but overall I do see higher end amps > an average amp.

I did a test with a HV Venti and a Brax MX2 and if I was put in a room and did a blind test I would not only tell a difference but I'll be able to tell you which amp is being played

Such was the difference between the 2... 2 very different sounding amps both excellent at what they designed to do...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3460
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

💩

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3461
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

What I find absolutely amusing is that all of you praising high end gear getting rid of your high end amplifiers right after such topic pops up on the forum again.

Here is life story for you....

Once upon a time I was a friend with very famous jazz musician.
In his band he has 2 drummers, one old and another young and energetic.
young dude was crazy fast , older dude not as much.
when I asked what is the deal with two drummers, he said:
" young dude still looking for his style, old one already found it."

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3462

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 AudioHeir will become famous soon enoughAudioHeir will become famous soon enoughAudioHeir will become famous soon enoughAudioHeir will become famous soon enoughAudioHeir will become famous soon enoughAudioHeir will become famous soon enough

In theory, different amps are built with different components, thus offering up different levels of distortion. This can obviously affect the sound signature. In most cases, if one amp has a cleaner sound, and it is audible, it will be due to the distortion percentage of that particular amp being lower than the one it sounds better than.

Last edited by AudioHeir; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:20 PM..
AudioHeir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3463

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 131 Porsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant future

not this again, stick meet horse

2015 Macan Turbo (white), 2015 991 Turbo S (agate grey), 1996 993TT (guards red), 1970 Challenger (B5 blue), 1968 912 (?, in the bodyshop, trying to decide color), 1966 GTO (light blue), 1966 Fastback (gloss black)
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3464
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioHeir View Post
In theory, different amps are built with different components, thus offering up different levels of distortion. This can obviously affect the sound signature. In most cases, if one amp has a cleaner sound, and it is audible, it will be due to the distortion percentage of that particular amp being lower than the one it sounds better than.
You might want to test yourself and see when you can hear distortion.
Also the speakers themselves cover up most of it.
Basic consensus. Nobody is hearing 1% THD, I barely hear 5%
You control the amplifiers distortion level.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3465
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I did a test with a HV Venti and a Brax MX2 and if I was put in a room and did a blind test I would not only tell a difference but I'll be able to tell you which amp is being played

Such was the difference between the 2... 2 very different sounding amps both excellent at what they designed to do...

Then do it. There are a couple people out there offering large sums of cash to anyone who can reliably do this.

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log
Alpine, Helix, Mosconi, Arc, Clarion, JL, Xtant/Morel, Beyma, Acoustic Elegance

Living Room System Build Log
Denon, Behringer, DIYSG, Eminence, Celestion, Denovo, Energy, Alpine
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3466
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Then do it. There are a couple people out there offering large sums of cash to anyone who can reliably do this.
reliably is a key word. Everyone suddenly lost confidence in their abilities. It`s comical really.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3467
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 225 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
You might want to test yourself and see when you can hear distortion.
Also the speakers themselves cover up most of it.
Basic consensus. Nobody is hearing 1% THD, I barely hear 5%
You control the amplifiers distortion level.
I'd say the absolute minimum is more around .3% (-50dB). I can consistently get down to .5%. But your point is still valid though since there isn't an amplifier out there worth its salt that has a sub clipping distortion level over .1%.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3468
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 134 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
reliably is a key word. Everyone suddenly lost confidence in their abilities. It`s comical really.
I guess your talking about the infamous Richard Clark $10,000 Amp Challenge. In reality the challenge was just a simple scientific test, a test that was actually testing ones hearing, not the amps. In a scientific test one eliminates all variables except for the one being tested. What was being tested was the listener's ability to hear differences between two amps that were adjusted to perform identically. Clark would tune all the amps, even down to adding filters and eq to the amps, to get them to produce the SAME signal at one volume level below clipping. The amps were adjusted to be identical. Then you had to go through several rounds of testing before he would pay out the money, which statistically cut down the listener's chance of winning the challenge. Every listening test of every round had to be perfectly picked or the challenge was over. I know of two people that actually won the challenge and afterwards Clark retested the amps and found one of them not to be adjusted equally with the other one being tested. He voided the challenge and would not pay out the money.

My opinion is that in the real world where amps are not adjusted to sound the same, amps can and do sound different, and although Clark was controversial and a real big bullsh!tter in the car audio world of the '90s, his technical teachings about car audio are valid.

Pioneer DEX-P99RS
Helix DSP Pro MKII w/ Director and HEC USB
Zapco Z150.6 LX, Z400.2 LX
Audiofrog GB10, GB25, GB12D4
Scan Speak Illuminator 18WU/4741T-00
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cmusic For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3469
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 253 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever thought about having high end amps on display in your ride at a competition just for eye candy but have something inexpensive but effective tucked away in hiding dishing the power? Would be a good way to really mess with people. I'd be willing to bet money that for a lot of people those decoy higher end amps would make the system sound better to people who weren't aware of the smoke and mirrors going on.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream tn1.1200d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Alumapro Alusonic 12 ported, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3470
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Anyone ever thought about having high end amps on display in your ride at a competition just for eye candy but have something inexpensive but effective tucked away in hiding dishing the power? Would be a good way to really mess with people. I'd be willing to bet money that for a lot of people those decoy higher end amps would make the system sound better to people who weren't aware of the smoke and mirrors going on.
I've thought about that scenario as well. Of course it wouldn't take long for the cat to get out of the bag. You might get 4-5 people to audition the system before word would get around the event. That is, IF you came clean with the listeners as to what was really going on.
Would be an interesting experiment nonetheless.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3471
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Im working on scenario like that since no one accepted my challenge yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3472
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

I have very small amplifiers easy to hide. And very high end amps for looks.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3473

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 131 Porsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant future

who cares, this is the stupidest test there ever was. it proves nothing other than to feed ones ego, you have zero to gain except to say "i told u so", i guess that makes one feel accomplished

2015 Macan Turbo (white), 2015 991 Turbo S (agate grey), 1996 993TT (guards red), 1970 Challenger (B5 blue), 1968 912 (?, in the bodyshop, trying to decide color), 1966 GTO (light blue), 1966 Fastback (gloss black)
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3474
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I level matched the Brax MX2 and HV Venti exactly and one amp you could hear sibilance and the other you could not...

But hey I must have imagined it....

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3475
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
who cares, this is the stupidest test there ever was. it proves nothing other than to feed ones ego, you have zero to gain except to say "i told u so", i guess that makes one feel accomplished
It shows people to pay attention to what really matters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement