Determining SQ via Internet Videos - Page 6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017   #126
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 48 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Determining SQ via Internet Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
That wasn't country. And I like how you call me a liar when I hadn't even posted what the change was yet.
Because you said you were going to make just one change from video 1 to video 2

But in the very first video something changes from from :58 seconds to 2:22 seconds.

So in the first video there was two changes one at :58 and you switched back at 2:22.

So I was tricked.

Video 1 wasn't the same from the beginning to the end.

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017   #127
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Well, since you thought jerry tried to trick you, here are mine. no tricks. first one is reference, the others are very simple and are obvious in person

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #128
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

someone else wanted to try the test too..

+ YouTube Video

Old 01-08-2017   #129
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 48 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

This is an analysis for Nick.

Honestly the differences are slight. It takes careful listening to hear some of the changes, but here are my impressions.

In video 1 it seems like reference. Everything sounds balanced and in tune.

In the video 5, it seems as if the microphone is placed closer to the woofer.

In video 3 it seems as the microphone is placed closer to the tweeters.

In video 2 it seems as if microphone is placed left of center.

In video 4 it seems as if lows and highs are boosted...can barely hear mid range.

It's very subtle details. I hope I got a few right.

Old 01-08-2017   #130
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
someone else wanted to try the test too..

+ YouTube Video
The dog is cute!

Old 01-08-2017   #131
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

curious what anyone else thinks

Old 01-08-2017   #132
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Resolution Audio View Post
Jerry, thank you for taking the time to do this. I appreciate it a lot as it gives me a chance to prove my theory.

Obviously if the microphone is moved around the tonality is going to change. We are talking sweet spot comparison to sweet spot here.

Both second set of videos depict that the sound quality is very, very good in both vehicles. They are both tuned well and are great sounding systems. My point here is in both of those videos the SQ is high. So we are comparing a Fugi apple to a Macintosh.

With both vehicles sounding this close the only real way to compare would be to sit in them. I agree with you.

But let me do my best to try and make a comparison via video.

With the TL video the microphone was held too far to the right. I could hear the imbalance. When you moved the microphone to the left during your sweep, for a split second, the system sounded balanced. The system in the TL sounded small. Compressed in a way. Maybe there was a lot of deadening installed in that vehicle. Maybe the width in that install was not quite as wide, but the focus in the center was razor sharp.

With the van video, I found the stage to be wider for sure. Where you were holding the microphone didn't matter as much, the system sounded better to me, personally, but I prefer width over a compressed center image with extreme focus, but that is a personal preference.

All three systems have good depth.

Back to the very first video. What did you do from :58 seconds to 2:22? In the meat of the song the high end and sharpness dropped out, so it was hard to judge.

All three cars do sound amazing. And it's obvious to me that the all three cars will sound better in person. With the very first video, I can hear distortion in the bass, but I know its not the system and the microphone in the phone being over driven.

So I would have to agree with you on one point. With cars this high up in SQ the only way to compare and contrast would be in person.

But I would also have to agree that I am right as well. Because these cars sound great with a video recording via the internet, the cars will sound amazing in person.
Like I said from the beginning, this gives you a chance to either prove or disprove what you are hearing. I am not trying to trick you. Did I think about it....yes....and I decided that if what I did proved to be a trick, then the point of this all would get lost.

Now, on the first video, between :58 and 2:22, I did nothing. I would guess that the dynamics of the song raised some and the mic had an issue with it.

As far as the TL vs Video 1 vs the Van......I gotcha here.

No tricks, but the system in Video 1 is my demo car, TSX, build log on this forum.

The TL is my previous demo car. Honestly, I know what each did good and bad, but that isn't where you failed.

The Van is a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX with the base factory system. No amp, no replacement speakers and one of the worst factory systems I have heard. I am being 100% honest here.

So, you can't hear near enough in a video to determine just how bad a system can sound. This should be a revelation for you, but I assume you will come back with some other excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #133
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

eh screw it..

video 1: reference
video 2: 5db Q2 cut at 5k
video 3: same as reference
video 4: same as reference but with a shotgun mic
video 5: shotgun mic with -10db Q2 cut at 5k

all mics in the same spot. jerrys TSX vs van switch is a much better indicator that you clearly are full of it with this one, but its still safe to say that you cant even point out differences properly in the same system. the two mics (one of which records in mono) also should tell you that again, you have no idea whats on the other side of that video and your full of shit if you truly think you can get a good idea by demoing youtube

Old 01-08-2017   #134
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Like I said from the beginning, this gives you a chance to either prove or disprove what you are hearing. I am not trying to trick you. Did I think about it....yes....and I decided that if what I did proved to be a trick, then the point of this all would get lost.

Now, on the first video, between :58 and 2:22, I did nothing. I would guess that the dynamics of the song raised some and the mic had an issue with it.

As far as the TL vs Video 1 vs the Van......I gotcha here.

No tricks, but the system in Video 1 is my demo car, TSX, build log on this forum.

The TL is my previous demo car. Honestly, I know what each did good and bad, but that isn't where you failed.

The Van is a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX with the base factory system. No amp, no replacement speakers and one of the worst factory systems I have heard. I am being 100% honest here.

So, you can't hear near enough in a video to determine just how bad a system can sound. This should be a revelation for you, but I assume you will come back with some other excuse.
Ok if you play back the first video and listen you will hear that all the highs cut and detail cut out from :58 - 2:22. After 2:22 the sound goes back to normal.

First, I apologize if I accused you of doing something you didn't. But the sound does change for sure.

Second,
You did get me for sure. I thought that the sound stage in the van was more open and airey. And it didn't seem to matter as much that the recording device was off to the right in the van. Which makes sense now, because nothing is tuned.

But I did think that the two were both great sounding. And If you think it sounds horrible in person, then I would have to believe you. However, horrible sounding is all relative. I have a stock bose sound system in my personal vehicle. I think that it sounds pretty good. Some people claim that the bose systems sound horrible.

All right I concede. You are right and I am wrong.

Old 01-08-2017   #135
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 144 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
You did get me for sure. I thought that the sound stage in the van was more open and airey. And it didn't seem to matter as much that the recording device was off to the right in the van. Which makes sense now, because nothing is tuned.

But I did think that the two were both great sounding. And If you think it sounds horrible in person, then I would have to believe you. However, horrible sounding is all relative. I have a stock bose sound system in my personal vehicle. I think that it sounds pretty good. Some people claim that the bose systems sound horrible.
The van had the most base factory system you can get. There wasn't an amp, sub or anything and it was not pretty at all. Honda make some good cars, but their base system in most vehicles is just plain horrible.

If you are wondering why I made the video of the van, there was a fun thread about 4 years where people submitted demo videos of their cars and people would comment on them. I don't remember if I ever posted the van, but I was going to so I could see if people could pick out how bad it was over the internet. I found the video of the Van and TL when I uploaded the ones I did today in my youtube account.

Quote:
I do accept your apology. Now can you tell me how I get my wife to say that I am right once in a while???? hahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017   #136
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 73 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
FINALLY...Thank you!!!

Actually, Jerry, thank YOU!!! LOL
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #137
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 194 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

The problem, as Jerry has laid out in his early response is that this is not an exercise in a controlled and valid comparison of speakers, it's a comparison of recordings.

There is no real consistency to anything with each of the recordings as there are different orientations and angles of the speakers, different source/preamps/amps, different room object interferences, different distances from both the listening position and the room boundaries (back wall, side walls and floor- which have a very real effect on the response), different measuring inconsistencies, etc. Hell, we don't even know the quality of the mic and how that is picking up the response. Imagine a microphone that had very poor and non-linear response in recording and no calibration to correct... What you'd hearing in the recording would be substantially different than what you would hear in the actual room. That's why video's like these offer little info to make any valid conclusions, but they do offer plenty of entertainment.

Therefore, you cannot make any valid conclusions about the sound of the speakers themselves- only about which recording you prefer.

I liked the 3rd recording the best. But sitting in a room and controlling the variables to make an actual evaluation between the 4, I may draw a very different conclusion.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur

Last edited by captainobvious; 01-09-2017 at 09:20 AM..
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #138
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 194 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3

I do accept your apology. Now can you tell me how I get my wife to say that I am right once in a while???? hahahahahaha

If he solves that friggin Rubik's Cube I will never again question him.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #139

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Unsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enoughUnsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enoughUnsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enoughUnsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enoughUnsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enoughUnsecured_WiFi will become famous soon enough

As far as I am concerned you just really cant do it but it sure as hell is fun to watch them lol.
Unsecured_WiFi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement