Determining SQ via Internet Videos - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 43 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Default Determining SQ via Internet Videos

In my experience, I am able to discern variations in Sound Quality using the right tools and internet videos.

Others have contested my findings, and stated their opinion, which contradicts mine.

It is my opinion that if one has the proper tools, and has critical listening skills, then one can hear differences and thus make determinations of varying degrees of the quality of sound.

The tools needed to discern differences need to be of quality high enough with enough resolution to disclose said differences in the first place.

I have a Macbook Pro and a set of Audio-technica ATH-ANC7B headphones.

Obviously, if one just uses computer speakers, or a cheap $15 set of ear-buds the resolution will not be high enough to hear differences.

Here are 4 links to internet videos using the same equipment in the same room recorded with the same recording device. The only variable is the speakers.

There is one brand of speakers that, to me, stands out apart from the rest in regards to tonality and the sound stage they throw.

So my questions, for those of you that have a good set of headphones is:

1. Can you actually hear differences via internet videos.

2. Can you form an opinion of Sound Quality via listening via internet videos.

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, how would you rank the following 4 pairs of speakers in terms of SQ (1 being the highest and 4 being the lowest.)

To me there is one brand of Speaker that clearly and obviously stands out above the rest. I'm curious to see if others can tell as well?

A.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfgBMWiuMTg

B.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9RElCONZ8

C.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N09BLycQhGI

D.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w96zTrIVRIQ

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...storation.html
1990 GM PS6500 Step Van - Old School SQ head unit / Scan R2904/ Boston 5.2 Mids / Brax 10.1 (x2) / Boston G215-44 (x2) / Soundstream Class A 100 II (x2) /Boston Acoustics GT-24 / JL Audio 600/1 V3 (x3) / Boston Acoustics GT-28 / AudioControl EQT (x2)
High Resolution Audio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 129 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Determining SQ via Internet Videos

I was so hoping you were joking when saying you 'critically listened' to soundsystems via internet videos.......

WOW..

I cannot believe You think you can tell the difference in a Speaker or system's quality while Listening to it through a completely different set of speakers and amps?(yes, headphones are speakers and amps)

I believe I could record the same speakers 10 different times and you would think they were 10 different speakers.. There are just too many variables in the recording..........

ref: I use Grado SR225e with Schiit Asgard 2, so I think that part is covered..
felix509 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 43 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

I can even hear a big difference with just my Mac Book Pro speakers.

I's surprised no one has taken the time to chime in....

1990 GM PS6500 Step Van - Old School SQ head unit / Scan R2904/ Boston 5.2 Mids / Brax 10.1 (x2) / Boston G215-44 (x2) / Soundstream Class A 100 II (x2) /Boston Acoustics GT-24 / JL Audio 600/1 V3 (x3) / Boston Acoustics GT-28 / AudioControl EQT (x2)
High Resolution Audio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix509 View Post
I was so hoping you were joking when saying you 'critically listened' to soundsystems via internet videos.......

WOW..

I cannot believe You think you can tell the difference in a Speaker or system's quality while Listening to it through a completely different set of speakers and amps?(yes, headphones are speakers and amps)

I believe I could record the same speakers 10 different times and you would think they were 10 different speakers.. There are just too many variables in the recording..........

ref: I use Grado SR225e with Schiit Asgard 2, so I think that part is covered..
Everything will be relative.........have you listened to all 4 videos? Can you hear differences? Or are you just going to make a blanket statement which adds nothing but your opinion and your theory.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Of course anyone can hear differences, but related those differences to being the Speaker or system and not some other variable would be impossible.

Plus, when evaluating a Car system, there are many other aspects than just tonal quality. It would be impossible, IMHO, to tell anything properly regarding the stage height, width, depth, dynamics, center image, spacing of instruments, etc. via a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Of course anyone can hear differences, but related those differences to being the Speaker or system and not some other variable would be impossible.

Plus, when evaluating a Car system, there are many other aspects than just tonal quality. It would be impossible, IMHO, to tell anything properly regarding the stage height, width, depth, dynamics, center image, spacing of instruments, etc. via a recording.
So did you listen to the videos? Can you hear differences?

Does one stand out to having better SQ than the others?

Do you really only believe that the only differences are tonal?

Because I can hear way more than just tonality differences. Maybe you can't.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Just off the top of my head, here are some variables you can't account for in a recording, and these items would effect just the frequency response, little lone not being able to tell anything I stated above about a system from a recording:

- Accuracy of recording mic
- placement of mic (RTA your Car and then move the mic 3 inches, the Frequency responce will be different)
- quality of source music
- amount of file compression in said video
- any EQ Implemented (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- enclosure size and effect of said size (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- "The Room" and it's effects on said speakers (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- Playback Speakers/amp/headphones/eq/etc. used to listen to recording (a person could use the same for everything they listen too, but the Frequency Response would have to be perfectly flat

And I'm sure I'm forgetting other variables.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Resolution Audio View Post
So did you listen to the videos? Can you hear differences? Yes

Does one stand out to having better SQ than the others? Unable to tell due to too many variables. Differences could be attributed to (see post above)

Do you really only believe that the only differences are tonal? Of course differences would be more than tonal but too many variables (see post above) to discern the reason for the differences.

Because I can hear way more than just tonality differences. Maybe you can't. You can't tell height, depth, imaging, width, etc. If you think you can, you are fooling yourself. And please stop with the Golden Ear bs.
Answers in red

The fact that there is a thread on this and I am even engaging you in this discussion is just plain sad.

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 146 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

There are no golden ears, just trained and untrained ears.

Trained ears will hear a huge difference between a 2ch in a room and an average car, untrained ears won't. Trained ears will tell a musician when the instrument is off by a few cents, untrained ears won't notice this. Trained ears are good at using an eq based on what they they are hearing, untrained ears use the eq with an RTA, on and on.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM

Last edited by sqnut; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:30 PM..
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 129 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

I can absolutely here differences in the videos.. What does that prove?

Last edited by felix509; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Just off the top of my head, here are some variables you can't account for in a recording, and these items would effect just the frequency response, little lone not being able to tell anything I stated above about a system from a recording:

- Accuracy of recording mic
- placement of mic (RTA your Car and then move the mic 3 inches, the Frequency responce will be different)
- quality of source music
- amount of file compression in said video
- any EQ Implemented (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- enclosure size and effect of said size (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- "The Room" and it's effects on said speakers (if trying to evaluate speakers alone)
- Playback Speakers/amp/headphones/eq/etc. used to listen to recording (a person could use the same for everything they listen too, but the Frequency Response would have to be perfectly flat

And I'm sure I'm forgetting other variables.
Your above answers are based upon theory and not fact. Address the four videos and talk about the differences in those. Stop skirting the issue.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Here are 4 links to internet videos using the same equipment in the same room recorded with the same recording device. The only variable is the speakers.
WRONG:

1) They are all playing different tracts (no clue about quality in recording differences alone between the tracts)
2) and at the very least, videos C & D are from a different distance than A & B.
3) Video B has a set of speakers now on the table right next to one of the new speakers playing, no doubt this has some effect on the frequency response.
4) Video D is using a different amp
5) Speakers in Video C are spaced way differently and sitting next to other speakers would would change the response
6) No way to tell the differences in the playback volume

Do you know for a fact that all the videos have the exact same compression, or are you guessing they due based on the fact they are from the same person?

How is the only variable the speakers?

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Answers in red

The fact that there is a thread on this and I am even engaging you in this discussion is just plain sad.
In the 4 videos, I can hear unique differences in the sound stage they throw on top of the tonality differences. I'm sorry that you can't.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
In the 4 videos, I can hear unique differences in the sound stage they throw on top of the tonality differences. I'm sorry that you can't.
Don't be sorry. I am smart enough to understand that what I am hearing through a video may have nothing to do with the speakers and everything to due with unknown variables and differences. I'm sorry you aren't.

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 146 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Gerald, everyone hears the difference between the four videos, even on cheap laptop speakers, BUT there are just too many variables that could account for it including the recordings themselves. It's just not possible to qualify those differences as one Speaker being better than an another.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
WRONG:

1) They are all playing different tracts (no clue about quality in recording differences alone between the tracts)
2) and at the very least, videos C & D are from a different distance than A & B.
3) Video B has a set of speakers now on the table right next to one of the new speakers playing, no doubt this has some effect on the frequency response.
4) Video D is using a different amp
5) Speakers in Video C are spaced way differently and sitting next to other speakers would would change the response
6) No way to tell the differences in the playback volume

Do you know for a fact that all the videos have the exact same compression, or are you guessing they due based on the fact they are from the same person?

How is the only variable the speakers?
There is no way in hell you could get the first pair of speakers (A) to sound like the third. I don't care at what volume level, where you move the microphone, or what you do. It is clear that the speakers in the third video (C) have a higher SQ with both tonality and the stage they throw. If you don't recognize that, then I was right about your critical listening skills.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

DIYMA Novice

Quote:

Last edited by felix509; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:12 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
If you listen to the videos with cans, just know that cans are horrible at imaging and staging, the only cues you get from cans are tonal cues. Zip for imaging and the stage is squished in your head, between your ears.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
There is no way in hell you could get the first pair of speakers (A) to sound like the third. I don't care at what volume level, where you move the microphone, or what you do. It is clear that the speakers in the third video (C) have a higher SQ with both tonality and the stage they throw. If you don't recognize that, then I was right about your critical listening skills.
And I bet that has nothing at all to do with the mic being much closer to the speakers on Video C, does it? Or maybe the recording of the song being played?

At the closer distance, the room has a different effect.

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
And I bet that has nothing at all to do with the mic being much closer to the speakers on Video C, does it? Or maybe the recording of the song being played?

At the closer distance, the room has a different effect.
I bet if you take all 4 sets of speakers and put them in the same room, on the very same stands and angle them at the listening position, play the same track, at the same volume level, and keep every other variable you come up with in real life, the third speakers ( video C) will out preform all of the others.

If you have to do that test to prove it to yourself, then go for it. I don't have to because I can hear.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

How do you explain the Benny Z results, If what I am saying is not true?

Would you attribute it to a lucky guess?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
I bet if you take all 4 sets of speakers and put them in the same room, on the very same stands and angle them at the listening position, play the same track, at the same volume level, and keep every other variable you come up with in real life, the third speakers ( video C) will out preform all of the others.

If you have to do that test to prove it to yourself, then go for it. I don't have to because I can hear.
And you know this because??? Doesn't sound like fact to me....sounds like a complete guess. Not even an educated one.

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
How do you explain the Benny Z results, If what I am saying is not true?

Would you attribute it to a lucky guess?
No, the fact that BennyZ has a good sounding Car and does competitions.

You listened to only his Car over the internet and guessed he would do good at competitions.

I can one up you. I have never personally heard a single car Steve Head or Scott Buwalda have built and I bet their next car, not even built yet and maybe not even a thought in their mind yet, will do good at competitions.

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
And you know this because??? Doesn't sound like fact to me....sounds like a complete guess. Not even an educated one.
Like I said in the previous post. How do you explain me listening to Benny Z demo video and saying it was the best I have heard and I have listened to hundreds. He placed in the top three in the finals. How do you account for this? Lucky Guess?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

^^^Exactly. A lucky guess. Glad you finally admit it.

And Stop Skirting the issue.....the Videos you posted all have differences that would change the sound, and this is fact.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement