Old school 90's/2000s amps versus todays amp for quality - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 soundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enough

Default Old school 90's/2000s amps versus todays amp for quality

Getting back into Car audio a little bit and was curious about something. Currently I am using in my setup a Rockford 360.3 processor and a Prime R400-4D amp active setup on my front stage 2-way components. Sounds really good, I can not complain. Prior to that I was running a Punch P500-2 on my front stage using passive crossovers and the 360.3 processor.

I started looking around at other amp options now that I am confident in the active setup. I started looking at brands like McIntosh, Zapco, Arc Audio, Nakamichi, also the RF Power series, etc that are well known for SQ products. Both newer and older. Then I started looking at the older RF A series like the 600a4 and the 800a4 that were made in the USA.

THE MAIN QUESTION

Anyone that work on amps or maybe have more knowledge about amps then most able to chime in on amp quality today vs say the late 90's early 2000's when it comes to sound quality and Build components?

My biggest hang up maybe nostalgia vs facts. Thinking that the RF 600a4 is just a better Build then say going with the newer T600-4. When my guts is saying newer technology, cost in materials being lower, the newer products should be better.

RF is the main brand I am considering on amps but same comparison with any manufacture Alpine, Kenwood, MTX, Pioneer, Arc Audio, PPI, PG, Zapco etc that maybe is your brand of choice.

I want to go with the best SQ I can but not buy into marketing or nostalgia
soundcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 130 felix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enoughfelix509 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old school 90's/2000s amps versus todays amp for quality

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
felix509 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

Tradeoff? new tech, cheaper components. great components, old tech. although im sure the higher end companies use new tech and good components, but you def pay the price

Sound quality, its all subjective. Ive played with multiple amps, cheap, expensive, old, new and they all had their personalities. and I used pq20 a while back, and Im now back to the pq20(.2) again.

these amps are ~15-20 and they still work well without problems. Its just having to find that one that's not gona give you problems due to its long history and multiple owners.
Frijoles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Food Pimp

Rep Power: 234 chefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, its a FACT that older amps fail, and when they do it will cost you more than then cost of a new amp. The new amps from reputable brands that care about Build quality will last you much longer than that older amp you are looking at.
IF you are looking at a rebuilt older amp find out who rebuilt it, talk to them to see what was done and if its worth paying that price.

At the end of the day, it's just car audio man
chefhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement