Great Interview about Speaker auditions with head of Harman Audio research. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

Default Great Interview about Speaker auditions with head of Harman Audio research.

Thought that some of you guys would want to watch this video interview of Sean Olive of Harman Audio regarding the importance of using DOUBLE BLIND auditions in speaker design, though I am sure it also applies to most all stereo component auditions.

https://youtu.be/56xPMqZmejU
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seafish For This Useful Post:
Elgrosso (04-11-2017), SkizeR (04-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 86 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Great Interview about Speaker auditions with head of Harman Audio research.

Having spent some time with Sean Olive during lunch at conferences and hearing some of his presentations in person, I can say without a doubt he is doing the best psychoacoustic research out there. If anyone ever gets a chance to ask him a question or read something he's written or watch a presentation he's made, do it. The ideas he's "selling" are the most honest and truthful things you will ever see.

Also, the video linked above highlights the value of double-blind testing very well. I wish folks would *value* this kind of testing instead of being afraid of it.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 253 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Great Interview about Speaker auditions with head of Harman Audio research.

Here's the way I see it. Some people are afraid of this type of test because they're afraid they'll prefer the speaker that won the preference test in this video being the cheapest. Take for example the Dayton nd16 tweeter. $10 tweeter that can mate with speakers costing several hundred and fit right in as long as it's used in the bandwidth it's intended to play. I heard the mentioned Dayton tweeter mated with Audiofrog GB25's and Illusion 10" subs. And they were run by a McIntosh amp. I'm a firm believer that as long as you choose the right tool for the job you don't need to spend big money to get great sound. If you've been around the block with speakers ranging from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars and just spending a few dollars will get you the desired results, why spend more if you don't have to?

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream tn1.1200d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Alumapro Alusonic 12 ported, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!

Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 04-11-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
beak81champ (04-11-2017)

Old 04-11-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 truckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
If you've been around the block with speakers ranging from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars and just spending a few dollars will get you the desired results, why spend more if you don't have to?
Because you are cheap? LOL. This is DIYMA, where you now need to purchase Dynaudio, Scans, Carbon, ect, ect to be cool now.

And wtf are you doing up this late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbassplay
It's not a party until the bottoms come off.
truckerfte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 253 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerfte View Post
Because you are cheap? LOL. This is DIYMA, where you now need to purchase Dynaudio, Scans, Carbon, ect, ect to be cool now.

And wtf are you doing up this late?
Yes I am cheap, but am willing to pay up if an item still has good bang for the buck.

After getting in at around 10:30 Sunday night from driving home from North Carolina in one brutal lick I slept until 3:30 Monday afternoon. And I normally work nights. Here it is 3:13 Tuesday morning and just enjoying the second half of my 10 night vacation.
NOW BACK ON TOPIC, LOL.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream tn1.1200d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Alumapro Alusonic 12 ported, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!

Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 04-11-2017 at 03:11 AM..
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Very interesting interview and a testament to what kind of R&D goes into Harman products, particularly JBL in reference to our hobby. I can honestly say I haven't owned any JBL driver sets that didn't impress for the money spent. Some of their new component lines come across as cheaper in various ways than previous sets, but with the company's background in R&D you have to wonder if it's very possible they still deliver the bang for the buck performance that the brand is known for. Not putting them on a pedestal, but in regards to the topic of the video, many of us will turn our nose up at such low cost products without due process which is pretty much the antithesis of this forum whether it be raw or car audio oriented gear.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Cool video thank you seafish.
I live right around them, and got some friends working there. So started to play with the "how to listen" tool because they always need trained people for their stuff. They want more of a specific level, I don't remember the details but maybe 6 or 8/10. But damn' it's hard, got easily to half level, then some tasks were easier to go full score, but some others are pretty hard. Hard to beat the 50% when you have 6 or 7 EQs to choose from.

Well it's hard because it's boring too, as I don't want to use my tracks to stay close to their need. So far I only used my headsets, maybe I should try in car. At least it will be more fun. And maybe enlightening (or not )
Did you guys try the tool? What are your scores? Harman How to Listen: Welcome to How to Listen!
But if I ever go in the test facility I'll let you know here!

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 76 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
Cool video thank you seafish.
I live right around them, and got some friends working there. So started to play with the "how to listen" tool because they always need trained people for their stuff. They want more of a specific level, I don't remember the details but maybe 6 or 8/10. But damn' it's hard, got easily to half level, then some tasks were easier to go full score, but some others are pretty hard. Hard to beat the 50% when you have 6 or 7 EQs to choose from.

Well it's hard because it's boring too, as I don't want to use my tracks to stay close to their need. So far I only used my headsets, maybe I should try in car. At least it will be more fun. And maybe enlightening (or not )
Did you guys try the tool? What are your scores? Harman How to Listen: Welcome to How to Listen!
But if I ever go in the test facility I'll let you know here!
Cool look...thanks for posting that...gonna play around with it when I have time and get my SQ monitors going again.
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement