1" Baltic Birch vs MDF - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 serlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enough

Default 1" Baltic Birch vs MDF

I am very much a newb, but I try to learn. I read a lot. Try to absorb.

All other considerations ( cost, weight, etc. ) aside... In terms of a simple sealed enclosure, isn't the layered wood much preferable to shop MDF? If so, please state why. I have my own thoughts and theories but I'd like to hear from more knowledgeable people.

Thanks, Scott
serlvz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Re: 1" Baltic Birch vs MDF

from a purely acoustic standpoint, birch is stiffer/stronger than mdf which helps

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 321 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between baltic birch plywood, and void free baltic birch plywood. Assuming it's good quality, the birch has the advantage. It generally loses the advantage because void free plywood is much more expensive and more difficult to find that mdf.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 61 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Not sure what the OP is trying to get at but wood in general has poor damping or absorption properties. I'd be surprised if one is much better than the other.
gregerst22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Birch-Lighter, strong, way less mess when cutting, looks better stained. Cost more.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DC/Hertz For This Useful Post:
street.terror (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 serlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enoughserlvz will become famous soon enough

Looking for strength and stoutness, acoustically.

I was reading on the various grades and found this...
B/BB: Single piece face and back veneer. Face veneers are considered clear and free of defects with a light-uniform color. Back allows 3-6 color matched patches, which are oval in shape and egg sized. Inner cores are solid birch single piece veneers.

BB/BB: Single piece face and back. Both face and back veneers allow 3-6 small color-matched patches on average and some light mineral streaks. Tight pin knots may be present. Inner cores are solid single piece veneers.

BB/CP: Single piece face and back. The “CP” back veneers are downgraded from “BB” grade veneers, which allow for unlimited patches and sound knots, but does not allow for open defects. Inner cores are solid birch single piece veneers.

CP/CP: Single piece face and back. Face and back grade veneers allow unlimited sound knots and repaired splits and unlimited patches. The panel is sound both sides and designed for laminating.

C/C: Patches, open knots, and small veneer splits allowed. Veneer lap and small core voids permitted. This panel is not sanded and would be used for structural purposes.

Shop Grades: Shop panels are offered in the full 60” X 60” format in all of the grades listed above. Panels allow for 1-3 splits on the face veneer along one edge of the panel in lengths no longer than 10” and no wider than ¼”. Shop grades offered at a substantial discount to the “on grade” prices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From that I'd imagine one would want only B/BB or BB/BB grade
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 14 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Im building a baffle of 2 pieces of 1" Birch and am amazed at how light it is for the thickness. Brain had to adjust for what 2" (1.8" in actual) slab weighed. Also amazed at the cost of a sheet of it.
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

I use 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood to build my 18" and 24" HT subwoofers. www.deepseasound.com. I do use 2 sheets for a baffle as well but do not think you'd need to step up to 1", you'd be better off adding internal reinforcements to cut down on the size of unsupported panels. Also, place reinforcements off center so you don't make two panels of the same size, which would resonate at the same frequency.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dgage For This Useful Post:
street.terror (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Just keep in mind you can't just throw any skil saw blade on it or it will tear out on you. But a good quality ply is a great great thing to have in stock. See my thread on that.. Did my IB wall in 7/8" and 5/8" two-layer Russian birch. The wall is probably more solid than the car around it.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Automotive Repair Werks
Position:
Sales

Rep Power: 8 Iamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enough

Where did you get the Russian birch. I have a source but he will not sell anymore.
Scroungers paradise has some but it has a lot of voids
Iamsecond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
Im building a baffle of 2 pieces of 1" Birch and am amazed at how light it is for the thickness. Brain had to adjust for what 2" (1.8" in actual) slab weighed. Also amazed at the cost of a sheet of it.

We're you able to get by with only 4x8 sheet?

I know one thing, for sure, this triple B, or B/BB is not cheap!
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamsecond View Post
Where did you get the Russian birch. I have a source but he will not sell anymore.

Scroungers paradise has some but it has a lot of voids

That's where I got mine. The sheets I got looked good.. They had many different grades though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 14 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by serlvz View Post
We're you able to get by with only 4x8 sheet?

I know one thing, for sure, this triple B, or B/BB is not cheap!
IT was sold in 4x4 sheets
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

True Baltic Birch is void-free and usually is only available in 5'x5' sheets. If it isn't void free then it is using the term Baltic Birch but is a copy.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Only available in 5x5 is false. I read that on the internet too when researching and IRL there are numerous sizes and vary among retailers as to how they demand it to be packaged. A large national cabinet maker here specs them however they want them and got me in touch with a reseller in town that had them in 4x4 among other sizes
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Stuff I got was 5x5' sheets and a bunch of ply layers. The 7/8" has like 15 layers in it. Routes lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Build Log
Old 6 Days Ago   #17
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 131 ndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enough

My local Menards used to stock baltic birch and I used alot of it.

Now you have to order it and they get it is a couple days. I usually order 2 sheets at a time for $125.

The advantage is that it also comes with some OSB that they use to package/Band it. So for the $125, I get two sheets BB and two sheets of the cheap OSB.

I love Baltic Birch. I wish I could get it cheaper, I would then never use MDF again.

Dont forget something though!!....3/4 inch BB is not actually 3/4 inch...The tiny difference will certainly throw off your measurements.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
https://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/# ---http://www.cardomain.com/id/SRTJEEP
ndm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 Manic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished road

You guys should check out Ultralight MDF (ULMDF). Same strength as regular MDF but 1/2 the weight.
Manic1! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
You guys should check out Ultralight MDF (ULMDF). Same strength as regular MDF but 1/2 the weight.
It is definitely lighter but for a sub box I'd still use (Baltic Birch) plywood as it is just stronger and more durable. May not matter if you never move your box but if you ever need to take the box out, plywood is just better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement