4 Ohms Sub sounds better for SQ ? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 lehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enough

Default 4 Ohms Sub sounds better for SQ ?

Is it just me or what the title says is really true.
I always had a nice SQ sub (Hertz Mille 15 and Focal KX46 now 40) and Audison VRX 1.500 or Voce 5.1 or Mosconi 100.2 bridged) and I tend to believe that when I had lower impedance the sound was harsher and muddied????

I could be wrong i'm just trying to figure out if this is true or not?
What do you guys think ?

I personally like the sharp tight clean punchy bass for my music (trance and dance) as opposed to the mushy muddy and distortion sounding low bass (hip hop and rap)
lehelke3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 4 Ohms Sub sounds better for SQ ?

It's all in your head. A good amp will still be under 1% TDH even under 1ohm.
When you had the 2 channel bridged each channel was at 2ohm.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Classifieds Access
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 lehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enoughlehelke3 will become famous soon enough

I hope so, because from what I remember when I was testing for this year's ago I DID hear a difference i'm just not sure anymore
lehelke3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 322 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

You thought you heard a difference, or the difference was because of something else.

Also, hip hop and rap sound much better with good bass, muddy, distorted bass is from a bunch of kids with terrible systems. Get your substage right and listen to Dr. Dre's 2001 and you'll see how good rap can sound.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
bassfromspace (1 Week Ago), rhannahs (1 Day Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 152 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
You thought you heard a difference, or the difference was because of something else.

Also, hip hop and rap sound much better with good bass, muddy, distorted bass is from a bunch of kids with terrible systems. Get your substage right and listen to Dr. Dre's 2001 and you'll see how good rap can sound.
IMO, The best produced rap album ever. Very clean.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Doesn't your damping factor reduce every time you drop the impedance? Also running a amp at a easier load helps with other issues like heat, current etc... unless your trying to hit numbers a decent amp that does 500+ at 4ohms bridged is 9/10 times plenty - if you need more power rather buy a bigger amp?

Sometimes having 2 amps drive 2 subs works out better - as some amps don't double the power from 4ohms bridged to 2ohms bridged so you get more power to each driver with 2 amps and you keep your load easier

Dunno... that's my take - also depends on what you want out of your system as well I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 253 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I won't run any amp below 2 ohms even if it's stable to 1 ohm. No good reason other than a mental one. Power is cheap these days and you don't have to buy expensive amps to get great sound especially when that amp is for a subwoofer. Buy an oversized amp and run it at 4 ohms and be happy. 4 out of the 5 subs in my collection are either d2 or single 4 so 4 ohms is all my 1 ohm stable amp will ever see. Just how it worked out.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream tn1.1200d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Alumapro Alusonic 12 ported, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 175 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

Don't bother much on a driver's impedance load. Sometimes I do believe that running higher than 4ohm at 8ohm sound more superior than running at 1, 2 or 4ohm. But again, it is just a busted myth.
Running higher ohm load will reduce the amp's output while running lower ohm load will make more heat on the amp.
The more important point is, running your amp at higher efficiency will be better.

kyheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 58 ssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
IMO, The best produced rap album ever. Very clean.

In the same vein, Snoop's Doggystyle is up there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HU - Dynavin E39 N6
Midbass - SI TM65 Mid/Tweet - BG Neo8PDR Subs - Soundstream 10R IB (soon) Processing - Phoenix Gold/DSP tbd Amps - Soundstream MC500, Reference Class A Picasso
ssclassa60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 152 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

I prefer 4 ohms when possible, but that's not always the case. I'm about to run my sub(s) @ 1 ohm for the first time, & I'm a little concerned about the amp (MMATS HiFi6150d) overheating. Time will tell...

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 58 ssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enoughssclassa60 will become famous soon enough

Throw a fan on it
I ran cheater amps at 1ohm bridged back in the day. A couple of 100cfm fans kept things reliable. I still have those amps and they still sound great (SS Class A 6.0s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HU - Dynavin E39 N6
Midbass - SI TM65 Mid/Tweet - BG Neo8PDR Subs - Soundstream 10R IB (soon) Processing - Phoenix Gold/DSP tbd Amps - Soundstream MC500, Reference Class A Picasso
ssclassa60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #12

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 59 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Doesn't your damping factor reduce every time you drop the impedance?
Yep, and that's the biggest issue in terms of making your bass sound sloppy. Speakers are piezoelectric. That's a fancy word meaning that not only does electricity make them move, but moving them generates electricity.

A speaker's cone has mass, and therefore it has inertia. When it's moving in a given direction, it tends to keep moving in that direction. This momentum actually generates electricity, and the amp must overcome this electricity (called "back EMF") to start the cone moving in the other direction.

And just as a speaker wired at 2ohms draws more power from an amp that a speaker at 4ohms, a speaker at 2ohms generates more back EMF than a speaker at 4ohms.

Getting the cone to change directions quickly and crisply is an important key in creating tight, punchy bass. And running at a lower ohm load makes it tougher for the amp to do that.
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Butler has shown how little the amplifiers damping factor effects it.
His test shown it didn't make any difference until it reached single digits.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 125 rc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enough

I experimented with different sub/amp setups for about 10 years. FWIW, I always enjoyed the higher ohm setups more, they just sounded better.

They also have amps with adjustable damping factor.

You say at 70mph you cant hear a difference? Does this mean at 35 you can?
rc10mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 13 nhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enough

I am no expert but 500 watts at 2 ohms is not the same as 500 watts at 4 ohms.
nhtunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement