Capacitor Myth - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 sniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enough

Default Capacitor Myth

Could we have something in here explaining this issue?

Alpine 7909, Morel Supremos Full size>Zuki Eleets x2,Eric Stevens era ID 2x12 IDMAX>Sundown Audio3000D, MS-8 Building 300C Focal k2p, HAT 3SE center, Morel Supremos full size tweets>Zuki 6, Eric stevens era IDQ12>HOT200, stock rear fill ,MS-8
sniper5431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 115 boom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enoughboom_squid_2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Capacitor Myth

what issue?
boom_squid_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

capacitor | eHow Search

Quote:
What Is an Electrical Capacitor?

By Paul Dohrman, eHow Contributor

An electrical capacitor is a device on which a charge collects. The usual shape is two metallic plates parallel to each other but touching only two terminal ends of a circuit wire, not each other. Electrons flow from one plate through the electrical circuit and to the other plate, due to the electromotive force of a battery or other source of energy. The charges on each plate are equal and opposite in polarity. The plates are therefore attractive.

Storage of Energy

1. Because the battery, or some other source of electromotive force, displaces electrons from one plate of the capacitor to another, energy is built up and stored in the capacitor. The circuit wires could be removed, and the charge difference between the plates would remain. The energy stored in the capacitor equals the energy required to keep the two plates apart, opposing their Coulomb attraction (an attraction due to their electrical charge). If the plates were not held in place, they would attract each other, make contact, and discharge.

Discharge

2. A voltage can be discharged by placing a piece of metal between the two plates, making contact with both. The excess electrons of the negatively charged plate would then rush over to the other plate, thus removing the excess negative charge on one plate, and the excess positive charge on the other.

Charge Accumulation

3. Charge accumulation is not absolute. That is, it does not stop until the capacitor is detached from the circuit. This is because getting the capacitor's voltage (due to the accumulation of charge) any proportion closer to the final voltage takes a finite amount of time. The voltage building up between the plates therefore has an asymptotic shape, when graphed against time.

In Alternating Currents

4. When the Power source supplies an alternating current, the capacitor alternates charge polarity along with the circuit. Electrons falling onto one plate are then pulled off and sent to the other plate, and so on, each time the Power source switches polarity.

Use in Electronic Products

5. Capacitors can be used for pulsed power, upon discharge of the charge on the capacitor plates. Pulsed power is useful when sudden bursts of energy are required, e.g. in a laser, or a linear accelerator.

Capacitors, after charging, can be used like a second battery, when the primary battery is being recharged. This is particularly important when vital memory is involved.

Capacitors can be used to smooth out fluctuations in power supply inside electronic equipment.

Capacitors are also used as noise filters, radio tuners, in amplifiers, and in numerous other devices.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 1000 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

A capacitor is NOT a substitute for an inadequate electrical system. It takes Power (current) to make Power (watts) and most of the smaller capacitors will drain faster than one can blink their eyes.

The larger capacitors, 40 farads or more, have been alleged to help in some situations. Unfortunately, at that pricing point, one would be better off purchasing a second "new technology" fast discharge battery.

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 sniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enoughsniper5431 will become famous soon enough

+1 ChrisB. Figured this would be a good subject for this section.

Rich

Alpine 7909, Morel Supremos Full size>Zuki Eleets x2,Eric Stevens era ID 2x12 IDMAX>Sundown Audio3000D, MS-8 Building 300C Focal k2p, HAT 3SE center, Morel Supremos full size tweets>Zuki 6, Eric stevens era IDQ12>HOT200, stock rear fill ,MS-8
sniper5431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 i_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enough

Replacing cheaper capacitor with higher grade capacitor (the same value) not always perform better .. cause pasif designer already make research with the old one to make match design.
i_theo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 XC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enough

^^

n00b answer

#1 member of the Candisa fanclub
I can be found on that DIYMA offspring which is actually worth visiting... DIYMA knowledge in a new unrestricted form.
XC-C30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 i_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enoughi_theo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC-C30 View Post
^^

n00b answer
.. Yes Sister .. lost my old user id.
i_theo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

I use an Alumapro Carbon 15 farad and I will swear by it. i had light dimming issues and once added these symptoms went away completely. Not to mention that this does my Power and ground distribution nicely. I do agree however that most caps are a bandaid. I used to have a Stinger 1 farad capacitor and it wasn't very effective.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Candisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enough

So you replaced a weak bandaid by a strong one?

If you "need" a 15Farad capacitor to prevent the lights from dimming, you *need* a better battery and alternator!

Car-audio history since 2004:
- 2000 Renault Clio: cancelled... - 1992 Volvo 940: cancelled...
- 1990 Saab 900: cancelled....... - 1994 CitroŽn Jumper: cancelled...
- 1989 Volvo 740: cancelled...... - 1993 Saab 900: cancelled...
I really should start building faster than the car breaks down!
Candisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 XC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enoughXC-C30 will become famous soon enough

^^

Why I'm your #1 fan Honey Like your style!!

#1 member of the Candisa fanclub
I can be found on that DIYMA offspring which is actually worth visiting... DIYMA knowledge in a new unrestricted form.
XC-C30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

One possible use >>>>

Quote:
Energy storage

A capacitor can store electric energy.
In Car audio systems, large capacitors store energy for the amplifier to use on demand. Also for a flash tube a capacitor is used to hold the high voltage.
[edit] Pulsed Power and weapons

Groups of large, specially constructed, low-inductance high-voltage capacitors (capacitor banks) are used to supply huge pulses of current for many pulsed Power applications. These include electromagnetic forming, Marx generators, pulsed lasers (especially TEA lasers), pulse forming networks, radar, fusion research, and particle accelerators.

Large capacitor banks (reservoir) are used as energy sources for the exploding-bridgewire detonators or slapper detonators in nuclear weapons and other specialty weapons. Experimental work is under way using banks of capacitors as power sources for electromagnetic armour and electromagnetic railguns and coilguns.

Power conditioning
A 10,000 microfarad capacitor in a TRM-800 amplifier

Reservoir capacitors are used in power supplies where they smooth the output of a full or half wave rectifier. They can also be used in charge pump circuits as the energy storage element in the generation of higher voltages than the input voltage.

Capacitors are connected in parallel with the power circuits of most electronic devices and larger systems (such as factories) to shunt away and conceal current fluctuations from the primary power source to provide a "clean" power supply for signal or control circuits. audio equipment, for example, uses several capacitors in this way, to shunt away power line hum before it gets into the signal circuitry. The capacitors act as a local reserve for the DC power source, and bypass AC currents from the power supply. This is used in Car audio applications, when a stiffening capacitor compensates for the inductance and resistance of the leads to the lead-acid car battery.
I've looked for articles on capacitors used as energy draining devices , couldn't find any .

Can one of you enter one in WIKI ....
Old 01-15-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candisa View Post
So you replaced a weak bandaid by a strong one?

If you "need" a 15Farad capacitor to prevent the lights from dimming, you *need* a better battery and alternator!
I have an Optima yellow top and stock BMW alternator. I'm an Industrial/Commercial electrician with 20+ years experience... I know how Power is stored and discharged. The Alumapro isn't your average "bandaid". You say I "need" an extra battery and alternator? thats your opinion. My solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks for your opinion.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
Old 01-15-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Candisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enoughCandisa will become famous soon enough

If you know how Power is stored and discharged, you also know that a capacitor only catches up the peaks in the current-demand (but most amps already have capacitors inside to do this), but raises the constant current-demand.

The only difference is: without a capacitor, you're kicking your alternator and battery untill it finally dies and with a capacitor, you're letting it die a slow and painfull death.

I'm pretty sure your alternator will die one day (probably taking the battery with it) and I'd recommend you to get an upgraded one + a better battery (an Optima Yellow Top isn't exactly the finest quality, it's just well known...) and then try out the install without the 15F capacitor in between.
I'm sure the lights won't dim anymore and as long as the battery is fine or you replace it in time, and you don't add Power to the system, the upgraded alternator will last untill the carbon-brushes are worn out.

Isabelle

Old 01-15-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
If you know how Power is stored and discharged, you also know that a capacitor only catches up the peaks in the current-demand (but most amps already have capacitors inside to do this), but raises the constant current-demand.

The only difference is: without a capacitor, you're kicking your alternator and battery untill it finally dies and with a capacitor, you're letting it die a slow and painfull death.

I'm pretty sure your alternator will die one day (probably taking the battery with it) and I'd recommend you to get an upgraded one + a better battery (an Optima Yellow Top isn't exactly the finest quality, it's just well known...) and then try out the install without the 15F capacitor in between.
I'm sure the lights won't dim anymore and as long as the battery is fine or you replace it in time, and you don't add Power to the system, the upgraded alternator will last untill the carbon-brushes are worn out.

Isabelle
Yes... I understand that a capacitor "catches up" the peaks. and yes it does raise the constant current demand. But if your new constant current demand is within acceptable/safe limits your alternator and battery will be fine. I've considered a second battery but the real estate taken up is not something I want to part with. I appreciate your advice, thank you

Old 01-15-2011   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 bose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
I have an Optima yellow top and stock BMW alternator. I'm an Industrial/Commercial electrician with 20+ years experience... I know how Power is stored and discharged. The Alumapro isn't your average "bandaid". You say I "need" an extra battery and alternator? thats your opinion. My solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks for your opinion.
Sorry, being an electrician does not mean you know all that much about electricity, it means you know how to Wire things and not get yourself killed.

Car System:
Stock for now
bose301s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Sarthos will become famous soon enoughSarthos will become famous soon enoughSarthos will become famous soon enoughSarthos will become famous soon enoughSarthos will become famous soon enoughSarthos will become famous soon enough

Electrician or electrical engineer? The fact you're an electrician doesn't mean you know that much about electricity, my uncle was a master electrician for 40 years, doesn't mean he could tell you everything about a car's electrical system.
Sarthos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthos View Post
Electrician or electrical engineer? The fact you're an electrician doesn't mean you know that much about electricity, my uncle was a master electrician for 40 years, doesn't mean he could tell you everything about a car's electrical system.
I am a UNION electrician and proud of it. trained in not only AC but DC.. as well as complex motor controls, relays, etc,... I know what i'm doing. i don't need to defend what I know to 24 and 25 year old kids. I was trying to be civil and polite to you by simply responding. try doing the same.

ps.. I also have a degree in electrical engineering from The university of California, Berkeley but I chose to work in the field since sitting behind a desk doing CAD drawings bores the shit out of me. I am also an Electrical contractor. thanks again for your opinions... I will consider them when doing my install.

Last edited by FartinInTheTub; 01-15-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Old 01-15-2011   #19

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 bose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enoughbose301s will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am a UNION electrician and proud of it. trained in not only AC but DC.. as well as complex motor controls, relays, etc,... I know what i'm doing. i don't need to defend what I know to 24 and 25 year old kids. I was trying to be civil and polite to you by simply responding. try doing the same.

ps.. I also have a degree in electrical engineering from The university of California, Berkeley but I chose to work in the field since sitting behind a desk doing CAD drawings bores the shit out of me. I am also an Electrical contractor. thanks again for your opinions... I will consider them when doing my install.
Ok, then you do understand electricity pretty well then. I am an EE as well and had an internship at an electric utility for a summer and while the line crews knew what they were doing installing stuff and how not to get injured they really had no clue about electricity other than that.

Car System:
Stock for now
Old 01-15-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
Ok, then you do understand electricity pretty well then. I am an EE as well and had an internship at an electric utility for a summer and while the line crews knew what they were doing installing stuff and how not to get injured they really had no clue about electricity other than that.
Working with an electrical utility is a very good start when getting into EE. that's great! I to interned with 3 different engineering firms while attending school at berkeley. I loved it but I truly love hands on work. Designing plans and doing Code Calcs are not my idea of fun. I like the dirty work. take care man!

Old 01-15-2011   #21

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Working with an electrical utility is a very good start when getting into EE. that's great! I to interned with 3 different engineering firms while attending school at berkeley. I loved it but I truly love hands on work. Designing plans and doing Code Calcs are not my idea of fun. I like the dirty work. take care man!
I actually got into the semi conductor industry, lol. I am doing more of a materials related job, in school I took electronics and semiconductor classes and well as electronic materials classes vs. Power classes. I work for Cree making LEDs, I like it, it's the kind of stuff I wanted to do.

Car System:
Stock for now
Old 01-15-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
I actually got into the semi conductor industry, lol. I am doing more of a materials related job, in school I took electronics and semiconductor classes and well as electronic materials classes vs. Power classes. I work for Cree making LEDs, I like it, it's the kind of stuff I wanted to do.
Wow! That's cool how you found your niche. LEDs are the future of lighting. You're picking the right field to be involved in. very impressive.

Old 01-16-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

FartinInTheTub, very impressive !!

My father-in-law was doing the programming of machines,{EPROMS}, at a company that made automotive firewalls and such , [ subcontractor], when he passed.

Worked for Edison Electric for years ,{ his home was a centennial }, sponsored by Edison.

He had numerous accomplishments and Titles in his time.

His barn was loaded with a variety of electrical parts leftover from his business.

He was District D-2 governor for The Lions Club.

He seemed to think of a capacitor as being beneficial in certain applications , based on his limited experience !

Last edited by Oliver; 01-16-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Old 01-16-2011   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 stream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enoughstream will become famous soon enough

Quote:
an Optima Yellow Top isn't exactly the finest quality, it's just well known..
More info please.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
i don't need to defend what I know to 24 and 25 year old kids. I was trying to be civil and polite to you by simply responding. try doing the same.
I hope this wasn't an answer to me, since I've tried to be civil and polite myself while giving my opinion about that 15F capacitorbank you're using...
But I'm 25 myself and if you don't mind, I'd rather be called a woman than a kid.

I'm into (car-)audio since I was 15-16, did sound quality competitions in 2005 with great results, studied (literaly translated "Industrial Science", which includes quite some both AC as DC electricity and electronics... So I also know what I'm talking about.

I have a happy relationship with my gf (probably next year: wife), own a mostly renovated house of our own, don't need to depend on mommy and daddy or anybody else if we need something... so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call all <25 year olds kids...

Isabelle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement