All digital to amp - using nanoDIGI - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 pcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enough

Default Re: All digital to amp - using nanoDIGI

One could theoretically use a separate spdif dac for each channel pair? Like a FIIO d03k ?

Would just need the i2s out of the sharc converted..can it be done?

As for the Buffallo, I'm just not sure what components one would need....power supplies/output stages etc...do the kits come with all the components soldered?

This is what I assume:

Buffalo-III 8-Channel DAC
(1) Buffalo-III 8-Channel DAC Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) AVCC Dual Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(2) Trident 3.3V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) Trident 1.2V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
$379 USD (Sold Out)

S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver Module (Assembled and Tested) $75.00 USD (may not be needed if going i2s from sharc)

IVY-III Kit + One Placid HD BP Kit Combo (not sure how many of these)
[1] IVY-III Kit
[1] Placid HD BP Power Supply Kit
$169.00 USD

So thats about $625...is this right? How many IVY-III Kits needed?

So many questions!
pcpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 chad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enough

More planning and ordering:

I just ordered a High Brightness Lilliput 869GL-80NP/C/T-HB 8" Touch Screen LCD Monitor DVI HDMI (8") touchscreen.

Since the VW style radio has a little more real estate at the face than a typical double din, I'm relatively confident I can get it to work.

A quick drawing comparing the shape of the radio face (green) and the monitor case (red) shows this is going to be a challenge. I'll need to strip out the screen and guts and get a little creative with the fab work. More to come on this when I get the monitor..

I also found and ordered this nifty USB volume control:

Fusion Control USB Powered and Controlled Rotary Volume Knob

Plans for the weekend are to skim coat and finish the dash pods, and put final touches on the subwoofer box design before my friend fires up the CNC router.
chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 chad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enough

Finally, some pictures of an actual part Many many layers of skim coat. Heat from welding sheet metal warped it much more than I had anticipated. It's still not perfect. Interfaces between the A-pillar and top of dash are not spot on, but frankly, I'm tired of applying filler and sanding. Once it's painted, I think it will look OK. Threaded nuts for the mid are epoxied in behind the front baffle. The tweeter is a press fit. I have some ideas for a grill, but more garage time is needed.

Last edited by chad1376; 03-09-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 03-10-2013   #54

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Hdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpete View Post
One could theoretically use a separate spdif dac for each channel pair? Like a FIIO d03k ?

Would just need the i2s out of the sharc converted..can it be done?

As for the Buffallo, I'm just not sure what components one would need....power supplies/output stages etc...do the kits come with all the components soldered?

This is what I assume:

Buffalo-III 8-Channel DAC
(1) Buffalo-III 8-Channel DAC Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) AVCC Dual Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(2) Trident 3.3V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) Trident 1.2V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
$379 USD (Sold Out)

S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver Module (Assembled and Tested) $75.00 USD (may not be needed if going i2s from sharc)

IVY-III Kit + One Placid HD BP Kit Combo (not sure how many of these)
[1] IVY-III Kit
[1] Placid HD BP Power Supply Kit
$169.00 USD

So thats about $625...is this right? How many IVY-III Kits needed?

So many questions!
Yes you can use 3 DAC's or 4 if you need more than 6 channels. I don't htink the FIIO is quite up to par of the Buffalo III but...?

As for the Buffalo III that one kit basically has everything you'd need for 379, You CAN run an IVY to do the Balanced to S/E conversion but you don't have to. The outcome might be a bit better though? The Power supply it comes with though is useless. You don't need the SPDIF board as you can just go I2S directly from the Sharc to the Buffalo III. Anyways enough thread jacking lol, if you want to continue this discussion you can PM me or something
Hdale85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013   #55

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 Hdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1376 View Post
Finally, some pictures of an actual part Many many layers of skim coat. Heat from welding sheet metal warped it much more than I had anticipated. It's still not perfect. Interfaces between the A-pillar and top of dash are not spot on, but frankly, I'm tired of applying filler and sanding. Once it's painted, I think it will look OK. Threaded nuts for the mid are epoxied in behind the front baffle. The tweeter is a press fit. I have some ideas for a grill, but more garage time is needed.
Those are looking pretty nice! I like.
Old 03-10-2013   #56

DIYMA freshman

More pod progress. Painted the pods with Plasti Dip. I'm happy with the finish, except the rubbery texture picks up every fingerprint and spec of dust. Hopefully it will get a little harder as it cures. (The camera flash really accentuates the dust too)

Old 03-11-2013   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 100 pcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enough

Wow...great job!

First there was Iron Man....watch out , here comes .......... Iron Pod Man!
Old 03-12-2013   #58

DIYMA freshman

Hdale/Chad, just stumbled on this post from diyaudio from Feb 26!

"If you want to do I2S OUT, it's much easier to use the miniSHARC in this case. It was designed to be I2S IN/OUT. So no need to worry about the interfacing with the Buffalo. An adaptor card for miniSHARC to Buffalo III is actually in the works. We'll announce that soon :-)

Devteam (minidsp)"

So it looks like minidsp is going to make their own adaptor card! Awesome!

Might want to hold out on this combo chad...that ess dac is a killer and the minisharc is compatible with the vol-fp which makes it much easier to integrate than the stupid ir remote only nanodigi

edit....Oh darn hdale..I just noticed you were the one in that diyaudio thread

Last edited by pcpete; 03-12-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Old 03-12-2013   #59

DIYMA Novice

Yes he was talking to me lol, I'm not sure what their "interface" board will do exactly? The I2S headers are pretty easily accessible already?
Old 03-12-2013   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

The miniSHARC also does FIR convolution, more IIR filter bands, and is floating point (iirc the nanoDIGI is fixed point). Going with a miniSHARC, Buffalo III, uMIK1 and Room Eq Wizard would be a killer combination. You also have the choice of adjusting the volume via the BIII or the miniSHARC (I have neither of these options on my current DAC setup), and the ability to change eq/DSP presets on the fly.

2011 MINI Cooper S :: [build log]
HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Neil_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013   #61

DIYMA freshman

The miniSHARC/Buffalo III combo and misc accessories does look intreging to me. Unfortunately, scope creep has already extended both my budget and Build time far beyond my original goal (I'm sure that's not an unfamiliar story to anyone here). My nanoDigi + cheap DAC concept is one that I can budget and easily impliment - even if it does have some holes.

Maybe after I get my basic system installed and working, this would be a great upgrade path. I'm learning as I go, and am gaining an increasing interest and knowledge in what's available, thanks to everyone here. The thought of piecing togeather a "Super DSP/DAC" sounds like a lot of fun, but I've alread bitten off about as much as I can chew for now.

Also, costs of this upgrade could go a long way towards my dream single speed fat bike project, which is another subject for another forum altogeather.
Old 03-12-2013   #62

DIYMA Novice

Yea I'm guessing my DSP/DAC setup will be between 700 and a grand depending. But it will be about the best I can do and it will be extremely flexible meaning I can use it with just about any front end or PC. If you can tap I2S from the device then you can use it. I agree its a big cost though.
Old 03-17-2013   #63

DIYMA freshman

Some CNC routing work for the sub (sorry, not everything here is PC related. I'm just trying to keep my Build in one thread).

I went ahead a cut a few door Speaker adapters while we were at it. I have a couple sets of door speakers as candidates. I haven't pulled my door panels off yet, and I'm not sure which of them will fit, so I cut a set for each.

Here's a quick assemblage of the parts cut from 1" mdf. I'll need to do a little fill/sand where the 1/4" round-overs stop along with alignment bolt pockets. Overall, I don't think it will need a ton of sanding after it's assembled. This is narrower than designed due to a snafu with cutting the 3/4" slices.

This will be the side against the back seat. You can see the nest where the amp will live. Again, it's missing some slices.

And here's the snafu, we set the tool path on the wrong side of the cut line on the 3/4" board, so the outsides are too small. We'll need to kill another board. My friend felt awfull, but I'm still stoked. Can you imagine even attempting this with a jigsaw?

Old 03-20-2013   #64

DIYMA freshman

I recieved my 8" touchscreen last night and started playing with it. I'm going to need to spend some more time optimizing a configuration that will work best in the car.

iTunes is about 80% useable with the touch interface. The biggest issue is the scrollbar sliders are a bit difficult to manipulate. In a moving vehicle, the bouncing will make it worse. Cenrafuse's big buttons are fine.

Also, getting my fat fingers into the corners to hit the window minimize/maximize/close and other functions isn't working well. I might try to offset the touch calibration near the edges so it's offset from the actual display.

I'll likely need to incorporate a touchpad mouse (or similar) if I need fine control of functions. A stylus may work, but I know me, and It'll get lost in the car.

The biggest challenge will be gutting the touchscreen and building a near factory appearing facia. I found a great link at MP3car that gives me some ideas on how to do it.

how to: make a factory bezel
Old 03-20-2013   #65
Upgrade Your Membership!

Chief of Information

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 548 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Try JRiver Media Center. They have a Theater View that may solve your fat finger problem. It's also completely controllable with key commands...
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013   #66

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
Try JRiver Media Center. They have a Theater View that may solve your fat finger problem. It's also completely controllable with key commands...
Thanks for the lead. Based on a really quick search, it does look like it will play Apple M4P protected files (via Quicktime). This is the only reason I'm trying to run iTunes in the first place. I'll dig into it when I get home this evening.
Old 03-23-2013   #67

DIYMA freshman

OK..I'm in love with J River Media Center. It does play m4p, brings in all album artwork, is very touch friendly in theater mode, and has a great look. I can even set it up to launch other applications, and customize menus to hone in on only functions I will use. The theater mode skins are pretty good as-is, but I might try my hand at modifying one to better match some of the aesthetics of my GTI.

Also, I'm in the process of gluing up the sub box. I'm giving each "slice" an hour under the clamps. With 17 slices, this will take most of the weekend.

I think I'll be lucky if I get this Build done sometime this summer.
Old 03-24-2013   #68

DIYMA freshman

Glue-clamp-repeat. The basic subwoofer construction is done. I have a lot of finish work to do over the next weekend (or two).

Here you can kinda see the reinforcing ribs incorporated into the design.

Just about every clamp I own on the last slice.

Amp pocket and handle.

This takes up about 2/5 of the trunk. At first I thought I over-engineeried the handles, but after picking it up with the amp and Speaker installed, I'm glad they're beefy. This is pretty darn heavy. The Speaker and port screws will be replaced by some nice SS hardware.

Old 03-25-2013   #69

DIYMA freshman

Awesome work Chad! You truly are a master!

Now get on with the nanodigi stuff I'm itching to see how you get it all integrated, and how it all sounds! Good luck!

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0->Lava STS-3U->Powered Hub->SMSL X-USB->Helix DSP PRO-> ALPINE PDX V9 -> Active 2way front + sub (Scan Illuminator Tweets and MIDs, IDQ12v3 D2 Sub)
Old 03-25-2013   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

Very cool, dude. I like it a lot. Two thumbs way up.

2011 MINI Cooper S :: [build log]
HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Neil_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 bbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enough

Awesome work on the dash pods and sub enclosure.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013   #72

DIYMA freshman

Some screenshots of my J River Setup. I'm no programer, but was able to tweak the "obsidian" theater mode skin a little. I tried getting fancy with custom buttons, etc, but interface started looking disjointed, so I went back and kept the tweeks minimal.

I have the PC set to boot, and automatically load J River and start in theater mode. I have it set up as simple as possible, to avoid the need to scroll. I can start Centrafuse and some other apps straight from here.

Here's my iTunes music. Very simple to navigate. Note, I grabbed a bunch of cool GTI pictures from the internet for the background. I get a different picture every time J River loads.

Individual albums within each artist category:

Song list in each album:

"Playing Now" album art:

Yes, it's simple to the point of being boring - which is what I wanted.
Old 03-29-2013   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 bbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enough

^Looks awesome. KISS is definitely the way to go with a touchscreen interface in a vehicle.

Can you also do a "GENRE" button/icon on the main screen? For instance, I've tagged all of my SQ Test/Demo Tracks by using the Genre tag. So I've got the main Genre listed as "Audiophile - xxxx" so that they always show up at the top of my Genre list.

And then sub-genres, such as "Audiophile - Test Tones", "Audiophile - Drums", "Audiophile - Demo Mix", "Audiophile - Depth", "Audiophile - Acoustic & Unplugged", "Audiophile - Double Bass & Electric Bass", "Audiophile - Hard Rock/Metal", "Audiophile - Female Vocals", "Audiophile - Midbass Madness", "Audiophile - Blues", "Audiophile - Image Placement/Staging", "Audiophile - IASCA/MECA/EMMA", "Audiophile - Classical", "Audiophile - 80's", etc.

When you have thousands of SQ tracks, this makes it much easier to find a particular track for tuning or demos.

Last edited by bbfoto; 03-29-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Old 03-30-2013   #74

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
...Can you also do a "GENRE" button/icon on the main screen? For instance, I've tagged all of my SQ Test/Demo Tracks by using the Genre tag. So I've got the main Genre listed as "Audiophile - xxxx" so that they always show up at the top of my Genre list...
It does have a means of setting up custom filters and and incorporating them in the menu, so it seems possible.

I think a big issue would be having too many menu items. The theater mode interface just rolls long menu lists off the screen, and there's no scroll bar. With a mouse or keyboard, you can easily "roll" the menu list to get to the bottom items. However, with a touch only interface, navigating to off screen items does not work well. It might be possible to set up a menu with several depths of nesting.

Of course I only have a grand total of 1-weeks experience with the program, so I'm still learning what it can or can't do.
Old 03-30-2013   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Cool. Yeah, as you can see my Genre list is loooooong, but it was the best solution I came up with.

What about using a Griffin Powermate USB Knob/Controller to do scrolling and selection, and maybe volume and mute, too? You can program IIRC about 5 different functions to whatever keystrokes or mouse clicks you want.

I know that you ready have the Fusion USB volume knob, but the Powermate might have more functions?

However, it will be another USB device in the chain and potentially slow down your boot and possibly cause glitches. Only way to know is to try it I guess. But it might work out.

Amazon.com: Griffin Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller: Electronics

Last edited by bbfoto; 03-30-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement