All digital to amp - using nanoDIGI - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013   #76

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 chad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: All digital to amp - using nanoDIGI

I've seen it, and it looks pretty cool for a Car application. I think for the ultimate flexibility in navigating J-river, a numeric keypad (with up/down - left/right) would work very well. Personally, though, I don't want an ugly keyboard floating around in my car. I may get one of these to stash in the glove box for "emergencies".

FRYS.com*|*Smk
6726605.box.GIF
chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

OP

Rep Power: 144 goodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enough

Your sub box is a work of art. Amazing.
goodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013   #78

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 chad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enoughchad1376 will become famous soon enough

Finish work on the sub is mostly done. I had to resort to good ol' Hammer Tone to cover up some goofs. I filled the pockets with bondo and sanded them flush, but there was some differential expansion/contraction, and they're still visible. I think for a perfect finish, I'd need to let everything stabilize for a week, coat it with 2k, and then sand. A paint booth would be nice too, since small bugs seem to be attracted to wet paint. I guess they just add "texture". I'm still pretty happy the results though.

Harbor Freight powder coat gun + old oven + cool "anodized" red for the handles came out well.

I had some unused guitar amp grill cloth for the grill. I like it, but interlagos plaid to match the seats would be much cooler if I could find some. I doubt factory seat cloth is very porous and probably wouldn't work well anyway.

Last edited by chad1376; 03-31-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-06-2013   #79

DIYMA freshman

I just won my new deck on eBay for $5.

Seriously. I'm going to gut the innards, and use the case to hold my tuner and a few other gee-haws. I also plan on massively modifying the faceplate to hold the touchscreen. Hopefully, this will save a lot of work compared with starting from scratch.

I also installed my main circuit breaker and 4 gauge Wire running to the trunk. This is notable only because it's actually the first thing I've permanently installed.

Tomorrow, I pull the door panels and install the midbass speakers. I really hate learning out how to tear apart a new Car without damaging all the goofy fasteners.
Old 04-08-2013   #80

DIYMA freshman

Disassembled the front doors and installed Dynamat inside the door skins. Man, what a pain in the arse! It'll be worth the effort, since the stock sheet metal was very poorly damped. I used just one layer for most of the door, and trippled-up the thickness in the center of the largest areas with leftover scrap. Tying the sheet metal to the cross brace proved to be the biggest benefit.

I also installed dynamat on the inner door liner. The part is heavily countoured with lots of nooks and crannies, so I had to use many small pieces for coverage. It will work, but the end result is too ugly to post a picture.

My intended midbass are too deep to install without modifying the door panel, so I'm back on the hunt for some good budget midbass. I guess I'll have to listen to just the rear door speakers for awhile.

Last edited by chad1376; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Old 04-15-2013   #81

DIYMA freshman

I just received my old radio guinea pig today. There's nothing more fun that taking something apart without the worry of having to put it back together again. The case will definitely be useful for some components.

The faceplate plastic is very oxidized, but there's no cracks. And, most importantly, it's the same shape as the factory radio.

I'm working up the nerve to take apart my new touchscreen. The screen case is a bit taller than the radio, but the raw screen inside should fit fine.

And as a bonus, I got a CDR with some unidentified garage band on it. The music isn't to bad, actually.

Old 04-16-2013   #82

DIYMA freshman

The warranty on my 8" touchscreen has officially been voided.

The raw screen should fit nicely in the old radio fascia. I'm thinking I might be able to trim and graft the touchscreen frame onto the radio plastic, but I'll stew on it before I cut anything. Most of the wires to the board should be easy to extend (if needed) except for the ribbon cable. Any hardcore electronics geeks here know an easy way to do this (Neil et all)? I'm thinking I'll also need to get some momentary push buttons that fit in the fascia, and Wire them to the original button board. I guess its time to browse digi-key and mouser.

Old 04-30-2013   #83

DIYMA freshman

My project has slowed down, but it's still alive. Lately I have an abundance of components and half finished projects, and not enough time to dig in.

Using some tax refund money, I ordered a Punch PBR300x4 for the Dash Pod mids and tweets and PBR300x2 for the door mid-bass. I know these are probably not the ultimate in SQ, but they're small, simple and priced right. I also have my nanoDigi on the way from Hong Kong.

The short list of half finished projects include:
* Make rings and install midwoofers in door
* Finalize mounting for the dash pods
* Finalize a means to secure the subwoofer box
* Finish painting the touchscreen faceplate and install electronics in the radio case.
* The other 483 installation tasks I haven't even started

Yes, I'm waaay behind my anticipated schedule. Need to find some time.
Old 05-01-2013   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Did you come up with a midbass that will fit in your doors yet?
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013   #85

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Did you come up with a midbass that will fit in your doors yet?
Yes - I'm going to try some Aura NS6's (I probably ordered the last pair that PE had in stock). They don't look a whole lot better than stock speakers, and I almost backed away from them, but i've been assured that they are a fantastic little speaker. I'm going to have to cut my baffle rings absolutely perfect to be sure they fit without interferance.

Old 05-12-2013   #86

DIYMA freshman

More progress. I finished the rear trunk amp board. I decided I had room to mount the PC in the back, along with the NanoDigi DSP, 4 DAC's, 1 Rockford Fosgate PBX300x2 (door mid bass) and 1 PBX300x4 (dash pod mids and tweets). Obviously I have a lot of wiring to do. I also plan on cutting a 1/4" piece of plexi to sit on top of the posts and help stiffen up the trunk liner.

Old 05-12-2013   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Looks really clean, Chad. I like the dowels or posts that you used to support the floor/liner, too. Maybe put some felt or foam self-adhesive furniture pads on the top of the posts to prevent rattles...on second thought, your liner is probably already carpeted. And wiring is always the fun part!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013   #88

DIYMA freshman

Wiring is one of my favorite parts. Especially when I can do it at the kitchen table and I'm not twisted up like a pretzel under the dash board.
Old 05-19-2013   #89

DIYMA freshman

I wired up the basics of the amp board. I can't believe this took the majority of the weekend. All the digital and low level signal is located in this one location and should be pretty easy to integrate into the Car at this point. I still have the touchscreen HDMI and a number of USB cables to install, but these will run all the way up to the dash. The PC case is really easy to remove, and I think this will be handy, since I can just bring it in the house to do computer system maintenance and tweaks.

I also finished up the touchsreen/faceplate. It didn't come out perfect, but I'm happy with it. Next, I'll re-install it on the gutted radio case and Wire up all the components within.

Old 06-10-2013   #90

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 draziw will become famous soon enoughdraziw will become famous soon enoughdraziw will become famous soon enoughdraziw will become famous soon enoughdraziw will become famous soon enoughdraziw will become famous soon enough

I see in one of your pics that you have a MB with 5.1 or 7.1 sound?? How are you going to hook your sound up to your amps. The reason I'm asking is I have a similar board and I want to hook it up to the OEM Infinity Amp in my 300M. Now the Amp drives 9 speakers, 2 rear deck, 2 rear doors, 2 in each frt doors and one in the middle of the dash. No subs as the rear decks suppose to serve as subs?? No one seems to know for sure if I could just make 3.5 jacks to amp connections. If any one has some thoughts on this please email me draziw_one@hotmail.com thanks.
draziw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

Indecisive Tuner

Rep Power: 134 BowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enoughBowDown will become famous soon enough

Wow this is an awesome build. I love your attention to detail! Pretty crazy MDF work with the CNC. What do you think of those punch amps? Seems to be the weakest link in your install at the moment.

2010 Fusion Sport: SQ InstallSubwoofer In-Dash

Team Audiofrog | Team Syracuse Customs

Encore 8 | MF DAC | RPM88 | XDi 1200.6 | MR2150 | GB12 | GB60 | GB25 | GB10
BowDown is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #92

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 huggy54 will become famous soon enoughhuggy54 will become famous soon enoughhuggy54 will become famous soon enoughhuggy54 will become famous soon enoughhuggy54 will become famous soon enoughhuggy54 will become famous soon enough

How much did this all cost you (if you dont mind me asking)?
huggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013   #93

DIYMA freshman

Well, I'm not done with the Build yet. I hit "project burnout" and still have a thousand small tasks to do before I get it all in. I'm trying to get re-motivated to wrap it up.

I haven't had a chance to fire up the punch amps yet. I know they are likely a bit of a compromize. The big selling point for me was their size and efficiency.

I'm afraid to total up everything for this build. It's not so much the cost of the major components, but all the incidentals that have really added up. I'd hazard a guess of about $2,500.

It'll get done. I have too much time/money invested to quit.
Old 09-14-2013   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Wow, so awesome! I have a few questions:

1.) So the NanoDigi retains volume control even though you use separate DACs?
2.) What kind of case is your carputer mounted in? It looks really cool (and good for heat dissipation!)
3.) Is your friend's CNC router for hire or does he have it for fun?

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013   #95

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
Wow, so awesome! I have a few questions:

1.) So the NanoDigi retains volume control even though you use separate DACs?
2.) What kind of case is your carputer mounted in? It looks really cool (and good for heat dissipation!)
3.) Is your friend's CNC router for hire or does he have it for fun?
Sorry for the slow reply - my project's still on the backburner and I haven't checked in much.

1 - The NanoDigi has a capability to control volume on the digital end using an IR remote, but I'm not using it since it's in the trunk and out of sight. For volume, I'm using the PC's volume (again on the digital end) with this cool volume controller that just plugs into a USB port.

Fusion Control USB Powered and Controlled Rotary Volume Knob

There's no analog volume control in my setup, except for amp gain adjustment.

2 - Here's the case I used - it's very tight with two hard drives. I had to modify the button board a little, since it interfered with the DC Power supply.

Morex 557B Mini-ITX Compact Computer Case

3 - His CNC is for personal use. I make sure I do him lots of favors, so he always "owes me one"
Old 05-01-2014   #96

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
B and L Audio
Position:
Head installer

Rep Power: 72 Deathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enough

Subscribe. I have been wanting to hear about how the PBR's sound for ages, I had planned on using them for my SQ setup in my next Build I just love the idea of hiding them in the rear deck. Though now plans have changed to a false floor and linear powers
Deathjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014   #97

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 142 machinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enough

Box came out great! Very solid. I'm building a removable box in my mazda3 hatch in the same place, but I am not going to install the amp on it because its easier to unplug 2 Speaker wires to remove the box than unwire the entire amp.

Also I am curious as to why people in this thread have elected to go with the nano or sharc over the minidsp which already has a dac. I plan on going from a tablet/carputer to a dsp to the amps and am doing my homework til I get some money.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 111 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
Box came out great! Very solid. I'm building a removable box in my mazda3 hatch in the same place, but I am not going to install the amp on it because its easier to unplug 2 Speaker wires to remove the box than unwire the entire amp.

Also I am curious as to why people in this thread have elected to go with the nano or sharc over the minidsp which already has a dac. I plan on going from a tablet/carputer to a dsp to the amps and am doing my homework til I get some money.
The minisharc has FIR filtering thanks to better processing Power via the 32 bit chip. IMO the minidsp units sounds cold and clinical so the sharc lets you choose DAC/analog opamps for the preamp section. 32 bit chip allows digital volume control before dac without loss of content at lower volume. Those are my top reasons

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014   #99

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 142 machinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enoughmachinehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
The minisharc has FIR filtering thanks to better processing Power via the 32 bit chip. IMO the minidsp units sounds cold and clinical so the sharc lets you choose DAC/analog opamps for the preamp section. 32 bit chip allows digital volume control before dac without loss of content at lower volume. Those are my top reasons
ty sir
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014   #100

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Alchemy
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 146 Airforceyooper will become famous soon enoughAirforceyooper will become famous soon enoughAirforceyooper will become famous soon enoughAirforceyooper will become famous soon enoughAirforceyooper will become famous soon enoughAirforceyooper will become famous soon enough

Sorry for the slight thread hijacking, but those of you with knowledge on the minishark, I wish you would put your heads together and Build a thread dedicated to it and how to implement it. I'm new to all the terms reltated to it and quite lost trying to fully understand it and how to integrate it. Thanks.

To the OP, awesome Build and thread. I too look forward to seeing the end result. Keep up the great work.
Airforceyooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement