My Android based carpc setup - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 28 BassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enough

Default My Android based carpc setup

Well, I've been a long time lurker, probably the past year and a half now. I've been doing large amounts of research from every vehicle or Build I can find, so not just this site, but others as well.

I currently own a 97 ford expedition, a 04 ford focus zts, and a 92 ford ranger extended cab. Each has small upgrades audio wise but nothing to really boast about currently.

Here are my plans as follows, that I intend to install into the expedition, seeing as its the primary vehicle.

The pc. It's an android based, small form factor board. It's an Odroid XU4. An octocore based system utilizing 2 different cpu's in tandem to create a highly powerful system, a quad core a15 2.0ghz, and an a7 1.4ghz quad core cpu. It only has 2gb of ram, but that's fine as android systems don't require huge amounts of ram. Has a standard hdmi output, one 2.0 usb port and 2 usb 3.0 ports. Also had a gigaport ether net port. Uses a emmc 5.0 chip, 8gb in size(extremely fast over a micro sd card). More info is avaliable at hardkernel.com

I will also be using a 800 x 600 7 inch touchscreen monitor with the above odroid. It's usb powered along with the touch screen input/output. Uses a standard hdmi connection. Also offered at hardkernel. It's open frame, but they will have some sort of case coming out this year.

I will be using a 1tb 3.0 usb hard drive to store media. I will have audio and video on it. Currently ripping my cd's in possession to flac format, and finding sources for other cd's I don't have.

I will be using a usb dac from muse audio for output to a dsp. amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FEDHHKE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1451840077&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usb+dac is the dac I have bought and am using now. Works 100% out of box. Plug and play.

Dsp wise, which I haven't bought yet, I'd like to buy a minidsp c-dsp 6x8.

Door speakers, I currently have infinity reference in all 4 doors, but I'd like to change the fronts to an active setup utilizing vifa tweeters and 6.5 inch silver flutes. I have yet to pick an amp, but I think I'll get one to match my subs amp.

Sub stage wise, I like bass, so I need to Build my box for my 4x Sundown Audio SA8V2's I already own. The amp for the subs is a lanzar opti2000d. Plan to run at 1ohm with all 4 subs.

I have 0 gauge Wire from kunkonceptz and SHCA to use, and I need to pick up a secondary battery. Most likely a large g31 agm or two along with the optima underhood already. Not sure I'll upgrade the 130amp alt just yet. Want to see how a battery setup will do first.

But as of now, this is how I'm planning to do things.
BassMechanic308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 28 BassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My Android based carpc setup

As of now I need to still pick up a wifi stick, a 7 port usb hub 3.0 of course, a couple 5v 4a Power adapters, the dsp, and a 4 channel amp to get going fully.

I already have a bt adapter. And I may get a obd2 dongle as well.
Old 01-03-2016   #3

DIYMA freshman

Everything I have so far.

The main board, the xu4.

The screen.

The usb dac.

And the 1tb hard drive.

So far this is all I have to show you. It is working, but haven't really taken photos of it working just yet.

Old 01-11-2016   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enough

Nice, looks like it should be a really interesting build.

How do you provide Power for the device if you don't mind me asking?
ghoststar101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoststar101 View Post
Nice, looks like it should be a really interesting build.

How do you provide Power for the device if you don't mind me asking?
There are one of two ways I can do this first is, use a Power converter plugged into the cig lighter and use the factory plug. Second is to tie directly into the vehicles 12v source with a cpt step down module. Go from a 12v source to a 5v source with no less than 4amps (required by the xu4 to operate stable).

I'm going to be going with the second option, on a isolated battery source that will charge with the vehicle running, but not have it power anything aside from the odroid.

I'm also picking this up in the next couple weeks when it's available.
This handy little case will let me hold everything I need as one unit that will be removable from vehicle.

I'm also going to opt out of the minidsp and just go with a pioneer deh80prs. It will handle everything I need it to, and let me keep the radio for the wife without to much fuss.
Old 01-11-2016   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enoughghoststar101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMechanic308 View Post
There are one of two ways I can do this first is, use a Power converter plugged into the cig lighter and use the factory plug. Second is to tie directly into the vehicles 12v source with a cpt step down module. Go from a 12v source to a 5v source with no less than 4amps (required by the xu4 to operate stable).

I'm going to be going with the second option, on a isolated battery source that will charge with the vehicle running, but not have it Power anything aside from the odroid.

I'm also picking this up in the next couple weeks when it's available.

This handy little case will let me hold everything I need as one unit that will be removable from vehicle.

I'm also going to opt out of the minidsp and just go with a pioneer deh80prs. It will handle everything I need it to, and let me keep the radio for the wife without to much fuss.
Thanks for responding, this is the kind of thing I'd do as a pop-up display in my car.

Good luck with the build, I'll be keeping an eye on the progress.
Old 01-11-2016   #7

DIYMA freshman

Not a problem. A lot of the ideas I've gotten over the years have been from various builds on many different sitea. Mp3car.com has given me a lot of insight into how to go about a setup in general. All the little touches come from me being a knit picker haha.

Originally I was going to use an odroid u3 wich I already have but, ran into the issue of it not being as flexible screen wise because of limited resolutions. Granted the 800 x 480 isn't that great to start with, it will suit my needs for now and it honestly isn't to bad. For a mobile unit that can be put into different cars and what not, it's perfect.

With the way this is, I also plan to use it at work for music. Like a giant mp3 player.
Old 01-21-2016   #8

DIYMA freshman

sorry i haven't updated this in some time. I have not had the money recently to buy anything, as i have bought the wife a new vehicle. its a much needed 2003 Honda Odyssey EX. With our third child being born next month, it was time to finally get a family mobile and i just so happened to find one of the ones I wanted to get her. There will come a Build log for it in due time.

As for my project, next week I get my bonus from work, and i should be purchasing the remaining items im looking at for the project, OBD2 BT module, maybe a USB 3.0 hub, have a small 4 port 2.0 hub now that may get me by, Wifi module, case, and a few cords to tie it all together nicely.

So, stay tuned, I've not forgotten about this, just had to change some things around with available funds.
Old 01-22-2016   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 44 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

Keep us updated. Curious if you are doing bluetooth calling.
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercoat View Post
Keep us updated. Curious if you are doing bluetooth calling.
Bluetooth calling will be handle by my galaxy note 4. In the current state, doing it through the odroid would just be hoops to jump through and complicate the setup. Now I can use the note 4 as a wifi Hotspot for the time being until I see if I want to get a dedicated modem.
Old 02-03-2016   #11

DIYMA freshman

Ok, placing my order tomorrow for my vushell and wifi adapter. Then I have to wait till taxes for the other goodies I wanna buy for my install.
Old 02-06-2016   #12

DIYMA freshman

So I placed my order for the vushell and wifi dongle Thursday afternoon before work. Slated to get it come monday. It will be a challenge to get all the stuff I want to have in it, in the vushell as I'm not even sure how much space I will have completely. But, I'll have some pics to share and maybe a short video of operation.
Old 02-21-2016   #13

DIYMA freshman

sorry for the lack of updates recently. ive been busy preparing for my third child, due next week on the 25th. So things have been rocky all around.

also, the van i just bought the wife less than a month ago, the ignition went out on it and now that something else i need to have fixed here quickly.

but here are some pics of where i stand with the project.

now, i have come up with a slight issues, i cannot have the 1tb hard drive plugged in at the same time the wifi usb stick is plugged in. i pull to many amps and in turn my usb3 ports get shut off and disconnected. So, i NEED to buy a powered usb hub in order to get this fully functioning.

but having all my music i like at my finger tips is great. also having movies and anime(come on im only 28 and grew up on it) is also great when im waiting.

over all, its smooth and responsive. really quick. ill get a usb gps dongle with taxes. and im also getting a mazda rx8 in the next couple weeks for my summer ride. going to see what i can fit in there.
Old 02-21-2016   #14

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMechanic308 View Post
sorry for the lack of updates recently. ive been busy preparing for my third child, due next week on the 25th. So things have been rocky all around.
Congrats to you and your wife on the third child, slow progress is better than no progress. We totally understand.
Old 02-23-2016   #15

DIYMA freshman

So, picking up an 2004 rx8 with a premium bose system in a couple weeks. Going to go with an oem interface module to get low outputs for my subs. Has a 9 channel system in it so things should sound alright with a little low end in which the system seems to lack. Going to have to figure out how to get my odroid setup in there. That will be a challenge. Seeing as I can have an auxiliary port installed I'd be able to have everything like I'd want for now till I do go with a full dsp. But at that point, not sure I'll use a 9 channel system again.
Old 03-03-2016   #16

DIYMA freshman

So, I decided to take the front panel off the odroid case to place it in the rx8 so I can see what and how I could possibly mount this screen. I already know sourcing a navigation flip screen with bose system is next tonimpossible. So I'm proposing I make a fiberglass section to hold the unit right on the edge with hook and loop velcro. Now this would be just the screen, I would have extended cords to move the main board elsewhere, thinking the glove box or maybe under the passage seat.

So, right now I'm still waiting to order my aoem-maz2 adapter so I can get my subs installed. I would also have to Build a new box. I'm also ordering an adapter to play into the factory deck via aux cable for the time being.
Old 03-07-2016   #17

DIYMA freshman

Well, here is a pic of the RX8 all dirty and stuff.
Old 03-08-2016   #18

DIYMA freshman

Adapters have been ordered as well as my powered usb hub, and new starter, which hopefully solves a few issues for me. I'm going to see about getting my secondary battery installed to see if it helps with the starting issue as well.
Old 03-15-2016   #19

DIYMA freshman

So, before anyone freaks out a out how things currently lok, let me say that I've not cut any wires at all yet and the battery relocation is in fact, not a relocation but an addition to the factory battery for the time being. The amp pictured is a beast, capable of pulling 180 amps of Power at any given second. So I will NEVER run it without an additional battery to supplement current draw. I also have a third I can use, just a small 600 watt agm battery. I have other plans for it though if things work ok with it.

I did get my radio adapters, one for low outputs for the subwoofer amp that's pictured. Secondly, I'm opting to currently use the factory radio with an auxiliary input to run the odroid setup until I do another major upgrade over the next year or so.

Over the course of the next year, I will be rebuilding my 5.3l v8 engine to replace the rotary. I absolutely love the sound of a rotary, but not so much the reliability of one. Seeing as this one has low compression in one or both hosuings, it has a hot start issue after warming up, I can't restart it unless it sits for about a half hour. So a v8 swap with slight upgrades, mainly to the cam (ls6), and valve springs and retainers (ls6 for both), will put me in the 400-450 hp range with a good tune. I haven't quite yet figured out if I want to go fuel injected or carbed with the swap just yet.

Anyways, here are a couple pics.

Old 03-15-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

I dig it. You looked into the rk3288? That's the board I've always wanted to carputer with. Theirs always raspberry pi and they even have an optical DAC. I've never heard of the ux4. How new is it?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
ZED audio, Hybrid Audio, FI audio, M-Audio, Custom carputer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
PS. Tell your boss to stop sending me pictures of his cock.
eviling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016   #21

DIYMA freshman

Yes of heard of the RK boards. They are very nice indeed, but way overpriced. Carjoying uses those style boards in thier complete setups.

The xu4 has been out a little over a year I believe. The next version should be coming out sometime soon.

I chose the odroid unit because I've had great success with the u3 unit I got from them over two years ago runs everyday and displays 1080p like a champ on my living room tv. I'll stand beside them till I have an issue most likely. Kinda like I do samsung phones lol.
Old 03-15-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

Idk I was really impressed with the 3288. About a year ago I think it came out. Had best bench marks of any board. Did 4k res also! ;p

BTW did you go resistive or capacitive in that screen?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
Quote:
Old 03-15-2016   #23

DIYMA freshman

Well, I won't upgrade this board again till they have 4gb ram and 64 bit processors. Then I'll buy a new odroid. The screen I have, although is only 800 x 480, it still had a fantastic picture for what I'll be using it for.

It is a capacitive screen. Cost only 55 dollars with standard hdmi input, and powered by micro usb.
Old 03-19-2016   #24

DIYMA freshman

well, this is more or less everything that will be going into this setup. not sure i can really change or simplify it any. Before anyone ask, yes, i will play games while parked or watch videos. This was never meant to be just for music, but an entire entertainment package. any passenger i may have can also have a blast playing games and what not.

i only really need to pick up one more thing, and that is a dc-dc level converter for the odroid main board. so maybe another 50 dollars i need to drop on it all together, which includes materials to get it mounted. Im still thinking about picking up a USB GPS receiver as well.
Old 03-21-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

That's funny I like it. I don't find it odd at all actually.I did an amd carputer awhile back and I ran some weird front end software I found. Ended up scraping the project though never saw it to finish had the carputer up and running it worked. Was cool

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement