So I went crazy and picked up some line arrays last weekend.... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 109 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Default So I went crazy and picked up some line arrays last weekend....

Originally built for demos for CSS directly, Bob at CSS made me a deal I couldn't resist. Met them at the Canadian border on Saturday and glad I rented a Yukon XL for the pickup, they are HUGE. 67" tall, 200 lbs each, pictures don't do them justice, the cabinetry and craftsmanship is majestic. And matching rear towers!

Video gear:
Vizio XVT-553SV tv (waiting for 4K to come down in price before I upgrade)
Xbox One
Xbox 360
Sony DVD/VCR combo
Comcast Xfinity X1
WD Live TV (served by a 2x 2TB RAID 0 WD Red QNAP NAS)

Audio gear:
Denon AVR-X4000 (installed last night, not pictured).
CSS Line Arrays (6x Aurum Cantus G2 ribbons, 8x CSS WR125ST mids, 2x CSS XBL 8" woofers, 150 plate amp per tower for the 8's) Mahogany finish.
Rotel RB-980BX (x2), one bridged per line array.
CSS rear towers, each contain a single Aurum Cantus G2 ribbon and 4x CSS WR125ST mids
Rotel RB-976 (x2) currently not being used (used to actively amplify my other mains, a DIY 3 way with RAAL ribbons and SEAS Excel drivers)
Acoustic Elegance OB15 (x6)
Peavey IPR2 3000 on the way (my IPR3000 DSP was just sent back due to development of fan noise)

Next upgrade:
I am likely going to put the AE subs back in storage for a dedicated listening room at our next home where the RAAL/SEAS diy system will be installed. For this room, I'll probably look for a big subwoofer to hide in the corner for LFE duties, maybe a SVS PB13 Ultra, etc. The line arrays have extremely full extension down to 40hz and below within a reasonable SPL level so I'm in no hurry.

I'd also like to Build a matching center channel with four more WR124ST mids and an AC G2 ribbon. Just need to find a local cabinet maker to Build one. I'm open to mailorder suggestions as well if someone has one to recommend. I was going to send a quote request to Selah audio but probably can't afford that level of craftsmanship at the moment.

Enjoy!

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 100 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: So I went crazy and picked up some line arrays last weekend....

Nice!
I should drop my uld18 into your room, just because

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 92 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

wow! and I guess that cat likes the heat from the Amp
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 79 Old Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enough

Very beautiful set of speakers. I can't imagine how intense the high range must be with 6 ribbons per channel!
Old Skewl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 108 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Reminds me of a smaller version of the iconic Infinity IRS V system
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 94 Ray21 will become famous soon enoughRay21 will become famous soon enoughRay21 will become famous soon enoughRay21 will become famous soon enoughRay21 will become famous soon enoughRay21 will become famous soon enough

Those are beautiful! Congrats...
Ray21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 106 knever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enough

Great setup, love to have a listening room and no neighbors.
knever3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Rep Power: 109 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone! We watched Elysium tonight on Bluray and it was incredible. I am still not sure that I need subs, the little XBL 8's will shake the entire house. But I am a basshead so bigger subs are sill in the works

I am extremely lucky that all of my neighbors are either 20ft above me or below me so I can't hear them and they can't hear me.

Old 03-16-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Took some updated pics last week now that the OB towers are gone (sad day). But the Rythmik FV15HP in the corner is a monster!

I also replaced the Rotel receiver with an Anthem MRX-500 and then installed a hot pad in a cat bed for my female Bengal to enjoy perched on top of the AV rack. No more cat hair removal from components and she enjoys the location, it is a win-win

Old 05-23-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Matching center about to be completed by Al, I am very excited!

Unfinished breaking in CSS/Wavecor drivers

Sapele Pommele ribbon veneer applied:

Veneer finished and hanging with the family:

Hoping to pick it up soon, will post more pics when it arrives.

Old 05-23-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

That center channel is beautiful. Was lusting after a klipsch rc64 but I think yours takes the cake

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

If you want one, Al is actively building again and they have some new XBL drivers planned this year that will be insane. Like a 5 1/4" with 14mm of one-way xmax!!!

Old 05-23-2014   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Edgewater

Rep Power: 63 Hoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enoughHoptologist will become famous soon enough

Good stuff! I'm considering a couple of those Rythmik subs for our next place. I've had SVS too and it was top notch, definitely can't go wrong with either, but Ascend represents Rythmik which makes it easy, and Dave is the man.

Audison BitOne - Arc XDI V2 600.4, KS 2500.1 - Arc Black 6.2 - JBL W15GTi MkII
07 Accord Build Log
Hoptologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Agreed, Ascend is awesome. I am planning another big open baffle 2 channel setup but with Rythmik/GR Research subs this time around mated to AE mids and RAAL dipole ribbons. Just bought my DAC/processor, now the subs are the only remaining item. Can't wait!

And I am planning to upgrade the 8's in my line arrays with GR Research's new 8's, also very excited about that project.

Old 05-23-2014   #15
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 161 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

Thumbs up Re: So I went crazy and picked up some line arrays last weekend....

damn, that looks awesome.

i thought my trio of XBL^2 drivers that im installing was gonna be cool.

very cool.

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Nice speakers you've got there! The LD25X is one of my favorite domes, ever!

Old 05-25-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 109 teldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enough

Beautiful setup! You're a man of great taste!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Alpine CDE-HD149BT - Helix DSP
Sony XM260G - Sony XES-M3 - JL HD 750/1
Illusion Audio CuBe - Focal Utopia 165 W-RC - JBL W12GTi
teldzc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Thanks!

Just brought home a Lovan M2 center channel stand that I found on Craigslist, it will handle the new Apex C II center quite nicely

Old 05-25-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
If you want one, Al is actively building again and they have some new XBL drivers planned this year that will be insane. Like a 5 1/4" with 14mm of one-way xmax!!!
Wish I could but my wife would kill me right now

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014   #20

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 188 bassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond reputebassfromspace has a reputation beyond repute

How are the OB subs?

Textured Bass Mafia............
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
How are the OB subs?
All sold and I downsized to a single Rythmik FV15HP. Best "enclosed" home sub I have used but I miss the OB bass. So I am building another system with 3-4 12" GR Research OB servo subs per side, should sound pretty good

Old 05-29-2014   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Al just teased me with finished pics:

Crossovers during installation
Tweeter crossover

Midwoofer crossover

Woofer crossover

Assembled making some NOISE

Old 06-13-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 79 Old Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enoughOld Skewl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
Thanks!

Just brought home a Lovan M2 center channel stand that I found on Craigslist, it will handle the new Apex C II center quite nicely

Wish I could find cool stuff on Craigslist where I live😪. That stand would work beautifully for my center. Do they make the M2 stands anymore?
Old Skewl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Not sure, I saw them on their site but discontinued at a lot of online retailers.

Craigslist in the Seattle area can be pretty awesome. Just picked up a mint copper chassis Sony DVP-S7700 to use as a CD transport for $20!

Old 06-15-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

SQ Crazy

Brought the Apex C II home today, wow it is bigger, heavier and more awesome than I could have imagined. We watched The Lego Movie on it after some quick settings changes and wow it sounds good. This thing could be it's own subwoofer for lower level listening! Aimed up it throws a huge image across the screen and fits very well with the towers. I could not be happier with how it turned out and I look forward to having it for years and years to come. Currently biamping with two bridged channels from a Rotel RB-976 so 300w RMS total. Now for pics!

With super light MDF magnet grill:

Naked:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement