Strakele's new living room system ft. Towers of Power - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Default Strakele's new living room system ft. Towers of Power

We recently bought a house and decided it was time for an upgrade to the living room system. In our old apartment, we had the Jamo S606 5 channel setup powered by a Denon AVR-1712 along with an Energy S10.3 subwoofer. It was a very nice setup for how little it cost.

Of course after years on this site, Ally and I enjoy doing projects like this ourselves and now that we have a dedicated workshop, it made perfect sense to build our own home speakers. These will be using kits from DIYSG with my Tower of Power (or Trump Tower ) design for left and right that make them different from a more 'off the shelf' build.

The initial system will be 4.2 with just front and rear left and right speakers and some subs. Once this is done, we'll decide if we need/want a center channel. Since the room doesn't lend itself to a projector/acoustically transparent screen setup, the center channel would have to go below the TV. With our current Jamo setup, I find that the height difference between the mids/tweeter in the towers down to the center channel makes voices sound like they're coming from below the screen. Played in basic stereo using a phantom center, everything sounds like it's coming right out of the screen. The new Denon AVR-X4200W will support just about anything we want to add later - extra surrounds, Atmos speakers, etc.

Anyway, I started with the smaller surround speakers to 'warm up' and establish some processes before starting on the towers since it's been a while since I've done much wood work.

These are built using the concentric Volt 6-LX kit comprised of a 3/4" MDF ported enclosure with a downward angled front baffle, 6" midrange speaker, and 1 inch compression driver mounted inside the voice coil and firing into a small waveguide behind an acoustically transparent dust cap on the midrange providing a wide dispersion point source setup.

Here are the individual drivers:

Compression driver screwed into midrange:

Crossover components and circuit board:

Crossover assembled, glued, and soldered:

Holes routed for flush mount terminal cups:

T-nuts for mounting the driver:

Crossover mounted and 4 sides glued on and sealed:

Baffle attached:

Sanded smooth:

Acoustic foam added:

Prime and sand:

Both ready to go:

Painted to match the very light grey of the living room walls:

(upside down for these pics to protect the bottom since it'll be visible when mounted on the walls)

Haven't figured out what we're gonna do about grills yet, but they will have some type of grills to help them blend in and protect the driver.

They both work and sound good and are currently awaiting mounting hardware. Not much testing has been done yet though. They've been done for a week or two and construction has now begun on these:

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log
Alpine, Helix, Mosconi, Arc, Clarion, JL, Xtant/Morel, Beyma, Acoustic Elegance

Living Room System Build Log
Denon, Behringer, DIYSG, Eminence, Celestion, Denovo, Energy, Alpine

Last edited by strakele; 03-21-2016 at 10:00 AM..
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Strakele's new living room system ft. Towers of Power

more about those drivers please.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 153 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

That last pic is just wow!! How big is the room that will house them? I'm just thinking what my wife would say if I put those in the living room.........what she would say would not be pretty .

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Victor, what would you like to know? It's a custom driver made to DIYSG specs by Eminence with a Denovo DNA-150 compression driver that threads into it. With the crossover, they're about 93dB sensitivity and will play down to 65-70Hz in the ported enclosure.

SQnut, the room is just under 15x21 with ceilings vaulted from just under 9' to just under 12'. I'm lucky that my wife is just as into this as I am

This is the room layout:

The towers will be 54" tall, 14" wide at the base, and 10.5" wide at the top. Probably weigh as much as me lol.

Old 03-21-2016   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Nice drivers, where can I get a few?
You are lucky indeed, my wife will relocate me to garage with speakers like that.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 Beckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
more about those drivers please.
Volt-6 LX DIY Sound Group

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

-Ronald Reagan-
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

You can find the mids here: 6.5" coaxial

And the compression driver here: Denovo DNA-150 CD

Old 03-21-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 153 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
SQnut, the room is just under 15x21 with ceilings vaulted from just under 9' to just under 12'. I'm lucky that my wife is just as into this as I am

This is the room layout:

The towers will be 54" tall, 14" wide at the base, and 10.5" wide at the top. Probably weigh as much as me lol.
That's a pretty decent sized room. I just find that big speakers with multiple large drivers pressurize a room like no bookshelf w/sub or even floor standers can. Very tactile sound.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I agree and that's exactly why we're going with big, high efficiency speakers with lots of cone area. DIYSG has a lot of different kits, and the one I'm using for the top portion of the towers is actually one of the smallest ones. They have designs up to dual 18's!

Speaking of the top portion of the towers....

This is comprised of the Cohesive 893 kit. As the name implies, it uses 8" woofers and has a 93dB sensitivity (perfectly matching the surrounds, and exceeding our old Jamo speakers by 6dB). There are 2 custom 8" Eminence woofers on top and bottom, 2 Celestion sealed back 4" midranges, and a Denovo DNA-205 compression driver on an 8" SEOS waveguide all packed inside a sealed enclosure with a fairly monstrous crossover.

8" woofer with foam gasket I trimmed down to achieve flush-mount look in the CNC baffle without having to add baffle thickness:

CD on waveguide with gasket applied:

Midrange

3-way crossover fully assembled. That's probably the biggest PCB mount capacitor I've seen...

Started the same way as the Volts by routing out the hole for the terminal cup:

Then glue up the sides of the first one:

However, there was an issue here. I wanted the terminal cup to be at the bottom of the enclosure, but I found after prepping to put the baffle on that the brace would be blocking the waveguide unless the baffle was reversed so that the terminal was at the top. Stupid move - always measure and double check before cutting. Ugh.

I used the plug cut out by the hole saw, as well as a new routed piece to fill the old terminal hole and cut the new one. You can see all the caulk around it on the right here. Lame...

T-nuts for all drivers:

Crossover mounted (to the real bottom this time...)

Baffle attached and brought inside for testing:

And drivers installed, along with almost a full Walmart polyfill pillow worth of stuffing, sitting next to the Jamo S606 towers:

I just played it for a couple minutes to function test. Additional efficiency was immediately noticeable, as well as the corresponding increase in dynamic abilities. These are gonna be good!

So this is where we're currently at. Now time to finish the other one, and then the midbass monster woofers for the base...

Last edited by strakele; 03-21-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Old 03-21-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 93 claydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of lightclaydo is a glorious beacon of light

Noice speakers grayson.......and hold on, wife?! Holy shit.......congrats to the both of ya!!!
claydo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
Noice speakers grayson.......and hold on, wife?! Holy shit.......congrats to the both of ya!!!
Wow Clay.....you are so behind

Those look incredible.....I am certainly envious - I'll need to get down there to hear 'Trust' on them when you get everything done. Very impressive that you guys are going the route of raw drivers, crossovers, and building the enclosures.

bertholomey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 Beckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enoughBeckerson1 will become famous soon enough

I'm actually wanting to grab a couple of the Fusion-15 Sentinel kits for a portable DJ kit/room system.

Fusion-15 Sentinel DIY Sound Group

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

-Ronald Reagan-
Old 03-21-2016   #13

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 592 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, those look badass!

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Haha dang Clay, I thought you already knew!

Thanks Jason, we'd love to give you a demo when they're done.

Beckerson, I was originally thinking Fusion 15's for a dedicated 2 channel setup in another room, but I think we'll end up going with the Maximus 12. The Sentinels should be perfect for a mobile DJ setup though.

Thanks Al!

Old 03-22-2016   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 132 Blazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enough

Where did you get the 893 circuit broads from? I have a set to be built myself.

Pioneer / Soundstream / ES Audio
"...a lot of women are just plain crazy ass drivers anyway, might as well toss em in a drift car and let em go at it."
Blazemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016   #16

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

cool! congrats on the progress!

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 150 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Lookin' good Grayson! Is that gonna be a 15" or 18" MB down there? Regarding a center... you shouldn't need one. I use a pair of PSA MTM-210s for L/R with phantom center. I sit left of center almost directly in front of the left speaker & dialogue has never drifted from center of screen. I'm pretty sure those SEOS waveguides image much better.

Oh, congrats to you & Ally!

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Haha dang Clay, I thought you already knew!

Thanks Jason, we'd love to give you a demo when they're done.

Beckerson, I was originally thinking Fusion 15's for a dedicated 2 channel setup in another room, but I think we'll end up going with the Maximus 12. The Sentinels should be perfect for a mobile DJ setup though.

Thanks Al!
Ya definately. The Sentinel would be way overkill for most typical rooms

-Ronald Reagan-
Old 03-22-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemore View Post
Where did you get the 893 circuit broads from? I have a set to be built myself.
User mtg90 on AVS makes and sells them. $15 each. Totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
cool! congrats on the progress!
Thanks Erin. I would have liked to do an AT screen setup, but I think this will do The small TV pictured below is soon to be replaced with a 70" Sharp or 75" Vizio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Lookin' good Grayson! Is that gonna be a 15" or 18" MB down there? Regarding a center... you shouldn't need one. I use a pair of PSA MTM-210s for L/R with phantom center. I sit left of center almost directly in front of the left speaker & dialogue has never drifted from center of screen. I'm pretty sure those SEOS waveguides image much better.

Oh, congrats to you & Ally!
Thanks man! It's a 12" midbass. Another custom Eminence woofer that from all accounts is an absolute monster in the midbass. Like, made guys who run 8x 18" subs want them. And yeah, I'm perfectly happy with the old towers running in stereo, so I think I'll be alright with these. Saves a bit of money, plus it'd be pretty tough finding a TV stand that can fit a center channel that big lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Ya definately. The Sentinel would be way overkill for most typical rooms
Yeah, you don't really get an impression how big they are looking at pictures online. Always amazes me when you look at guys' setups on AVS and judging by the size of speakers relative to TV, you figure it's like a 50" screen. Then they post that it's a 75" and you realize how massive everything is lol.

Anyway, onto build updates - both make sound now!

Let the baffle glue dry overnight clamped down so when I got home today I ran the flush trim bit and sander over everything then brought it inside. I also trimmed a 1/4" MDF piece to the same size as the baffles which I'll eventually rout out to be a grill frame.

Stuffed with polyfill:

Drivers installed and set up for some stereo testing:

I'm currently sitting on the floor listening to them. No EQ, crossover at 60Hz. I'm liking them very much. The increase in dynamic impact over the old speakers is my favorite part so far. Definitely adds a feeling of realism. Listened to a track with an orchestra component and I can just see the bows sliding over the strings of the instruments. Snare drum punch is vastly improved. All drums are very tight. Not as punchy below 80Hz as my old towers, but that was expected and will be more than made up for by the Magnum 12 below them once I get them in. This room is also pretty lively with nothing on the walls yet, so some treatment and a bit of room EQ will only help.

So far I'm very happy with everything. Once I'm done listening to a bunch of stuff I'll take some measurements.

Old 03-23-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 Black Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enough

Well Congrats to You and Ally and the new home. It is always great to have support from your wife when you enjoy doing stuff like this.

Those speakers look exceptional and I'm sure that they will be well complimented when you get the 12s in under them. Are you just running a Denon receiver in stereo? What type of EQ are planning on using?

2013 Dodge Ram (under construction)
Black Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

For testing last night, yeah it was just the receiver in stereo. Once everything is done we'll do an Audyssey XT32 run and hopefully get a corrected response we like. If not there's a bit of manual EQ available as well. The receiver has preouts for all channels so we could use an external DSP, but I'm really hoping to not need/want to go that route.

Old 03-25-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Made some frames for grills. This was a pain. 1/4 MDF is annoying to work with, especially when it's cut into narrow strips like this.

Anyway, flush trimmed some sheets to the front baffles then rough cut out the center:

Flush trimmed the inside edges to a 1/2" template I made

Slight bevel on the outside edge and slight roundover on the inside edge. I know the MDF on MDF contrast in these pictures is awesome..

And a thin metal rod in the middle to keep the frame from bowing in when grill cloth is stretched over it. Otherwise, 100% open area in front of all drivers. These are more for cosmetics than physical protection at this point, but it would be easy to add a few more metal rods for some actual protection qualities as well.

Some black paint and a bit of grill cloth, as well as some grill guide pegs from PE and they'll be done.

They will have to be modified by adding the tapering angle down toward the wider base once that's built, but that shouldn't be hard. I probably won't actually wrap them in cloth till that's done.

Old 03-25-2016   #23

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25980 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Grayson, regarding the aiming of your SEOS WG speakers, you may want to give this a read if you haven't already:
http://libinst.com/PublicArticles/Se...20Speakers.pdf

Bill Waslo, the author of said paper, is the inventor of Liberty Instruments' Praxis, which lead to the OmniMic. He has designed and shared numerous DIY designs. IOW, the dude knows his stuff.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Bill is definitely one of the guys that sticks out as knowing what he's talking about. And I've read a few places to toe in the waveguide speakers, and that most people don't toe them in enough. That article gives a much clearer depiction of how much and why. Thanks!

We haven't done a whole lot of critical listening yet since they currently sit much too low until I get the midbass enclosures built. We will definitely be experimenting with aiming and placement.

Old 04-07-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

PE and DIYSG orders both arrived yesterday. Christmas in April!

Wasted no time getting to work. No glue mock up of the pieces. Decided to build it in stages since I only have a few clamps big enough to be useful on this one.

All braces glued in:

Baffles glued and screwed together. I don't think I'm gonna use screws on the other one. My thought was they'd add clamping force and strength to the bond, but they can actually push the 2 boards apart slightly.

For the second one I drilled the mounting holes and added T nuts first, so when I glue those together, they won't be able to float around on the glue and should stay perfectly in place.

That's where I'm at as of last night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement