LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 112 pieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enough

Default Can listening to one earphone damage hearing?

A buddy of mine wanted to listen to a single headphone while he's on his bike but then he read this:
"Using a single earbud is bad for your hearing. Due to psycoaccoustic effects, you will end up turning the volume of a single earbud way up, to the point that it will, over (not much) time, damage your hearing."

Is this for real? He came to me with the question, and I really don't know. While I don't pretend to be an acoustics expert, I have never heard anything like this. Seems like hooey to me, but I'm usually wrong so I thought I would put it out there to those smarter than me here at DIYMA.
pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Can listening to one earphone damage hearing?

If he is very aware of the SPL that thing is producing at what levels, I see no issue. However, it does make sense to me that one might crank the volume too much to compensate for all the outside noises etc...
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

Can talking on the phone damage your hearing? You only use one ear for that.
TREETOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 bballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enough

It is just like listening to headphones in both ear, listen to long and yes it will.

But that quote is right. You will more than likely end up turning the volume up because you are not hearing the music as the prominent source of sound (because the other ear is hearing different sound.

It will throw off your hearing for a little bit, but nothing permanent (if you are at an appropriate level)

-Matt

Last edited by bballer123; 06-11-2009 at 06:35 PM..
bballer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 112 pieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enoughpieces will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. It seems like w/ all things best in moderation.
pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 04silverz will become famous soon enough04silverz will become famous soon enough04silverz will become famous soon enough04silverz will become famous soon enough04silverz will become famous soon enough04silverz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
Can talking on the phone damage your hearing? You only use one ear for that.
apples and oranges

last i checked my ipod gets a ton louder than any phone ive ever used.
04silverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 bballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enoughbballer123 will become famous soon enough

^^^I kinda disagree. iPods can get stupid loud, but a phone can get right up to (if not past) where most would listen to an ipod.

-Matt
Old 06-14-2009   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 EVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enough

if the sound is 85 dB or more it could damage your hearing after 8 hours of uninterupted exposure.
88db - 4 hours
91dB - 2 hours
94dB - 1 hour
97dB - 30 min
100dB - 15min
103dB - 7.5min
106dB - 3.75min
109dB - 1.875 min
112dB - 56 seconds
115dB - 28 seconds
118dB - 14 seconds
121dB - 7 seconds
124dB - 3.5 seconds

and yes having just one in could cause you to turn it up louder than you usually would. But if you crank it no matter what its no worse than having both in. only one ear will be getting damaged then. as long as you are aware of your volume levels you will be fine.
EVcelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #9

DIYMA freshman

Just a quick question. Where are you getting that an increase of 3db halves your listening time?

-Matt
Old 06-15-2009   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 EVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enough

a three decibel increase equals sound waves twice as powerful as the original ones, (since Bels or decibels are on a logarithmic scale) therefore three decibels will do the same amount of damage in half the time.
Old 06-15-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVcelica View Post
a three decibel increase equals sound waves twice as powerful as the original ones, (since Bels or decibels are on a logarithmic scale) therefore three decibels will do the same amount of damage in half the time.
I have to question the logic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

I feel a LOG pic from Chad coming..........
t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
I have to question the logic there.
I will second that.

Quote:
What a lot of people don't seem to remember is that electrical energy can also be displayed in decibels... It does not necessarily translate directly (and proportionately) to sound pressure levels...
Old 06-16-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 169 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

ive owned and used a pair of these a lot for about 18 months.

no problems with anything.

Stanton DJ Pro 300 Headphone from zZounds.com!

yes, they are stereo in 1 ear.

good for enjoying music and being able to hear other stuff as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieces View Post
A buddy of mine wanted to listen to a single headphone while he's on his bike but then he read this:
"Using a single earbud is bad for your hearing. Due to psycoaccoustic effects, you will end up turning the volume of a single earbud way up, to the point that it will, over (not much) time, damage your hearing."

Is this for real? He came to me with the question, and I really don't know. While I don't pretend to be an acoustics expert, I have never heard anything like this. Seems like hooey to me, but I'm usually wrong so I thought I would put it out there to those smarter than me here at DIYMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 103 Xander will become famous soon enoughXander will become famous soon enoughXander will become famous soon enoughXander will become famous soon enoughXander will become famous soon enoughXander will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
yes, they are stereo in 1 ear.
That's one of the biggest oxymorons I've ever heard. You've made my day.

Alpine CDA-9833, IDQ OEM mids, Seas 27TAFNC/G, 12" Titanic, US Acoustics 4050 and 4060, SS Rubicon 500-2
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 888 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #17

DIYMA freshman

Smile Re: Can listening to one earphone damage hearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer123 View Post
I will second that.

What a lot of people don't seem to remember is that electrical energy can also be displayed in decibels... It does not necessarily translate directly (and proportionately) to sound pressure levels...
On what basis do you question my logic? Do you have knowledge on the subject I am ignorant to? Or are you questioning my logic being completely ignorant yourself on the matter? I hope the latter is not true.

We can agree a 3db rise in SPL is gained by (approximately) doubling the Power sent to the speakers (in watts). Power is work or energy(Joules) per unit time. Where do you think that energy goes? It heats the voice coil and is transferred into sound energy. Theoretically, twice the amount of power = twice the amount of heat energy and sound energy. Since our ear drums are absorbing twice the amount of energy in a specific time period, they are only capable of resisting damage for half the time as at the previous reference (-3dB) SPL. Twice the power in half the time equals the same energy as our reference power in reference time, which by OSHA standards is 85dB for an 8 hour period of time. Need references know it alls? Will you believe a .gov website or will you question that logic as well?

NIOSH Topic: Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention: Publications: Charts and Graphs: Look at Noise | CDC/NIOSH

Looks a LITTLE similar to what I posted earlier. Not trying to be rude but when you try to share knowledge and everyone looks at you like a dumbass and questions your intelligence without basis for rebuttal it can be quite frustrating. End rant. Have a good one guys!
Old 06-16-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
On what basis do you question my logic? Do you have knowledge on the subject I am ignorant to? Or are you questioning my logic being completely ignorant yourself on the matter? I hope the latter is not true.

We can agree a 3db rise in SPL is gained by (approximately) doubling the Power sent to the speakers (in watts). Power is work or energy(Joules) per unit time. Where do you think that energy goes? It heats the voice coil and is transferred into sound energy. Theoretically, twice the amount of power = twice the amount of heat energy and sound energy. Since our ear drums are absorbing twice the amount of energy in a specific time period, they are only capable of resisting damage for half the time as at the previous reference (-3dB) SPL. Twice the power in half the time equals the same energy as our reference power in reference time, which by OSHA standards is 85dB for an 8 hour period of time. Need references know it alls? Will you believe a .gov website or will you question that logic as well?

NIOSH Topic: Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention: Publications: Charts and Graphs: Look at Noise | CDC/NIOSH

Looks a LITTLE similar to what I posted earlier. Not trying to be rude but when you try to share knowledge and everyone looks at you like a dumbass and questions your intelligence without basis for rebuttal it can be quite frustrating. End rant. Have a good one guys!
The bolded assumption is the part I questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #19

DIYMA freshman

No worries as long as we are on par now.
Old 06-18-2009   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 justin220 will become famous soon enoughjustin220 will become famous soon enoughjustin220 will become famous soon enoughjustin220 will become famous soon enoughjustin220 will become famous soon enoughjustin220 will become famous soon enough

All things best in moderation that's true. Actrually listening too much with both side also do damage to your ears, but the different is one or two, I'd like my 2 ears balanced!

If you can't feel the soul of music, then its not LOUD enough!!!

Great Car DVD player, Monitor, and GPS, car entertainment media
justin220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 Nathan P will become famous soon enoughNathan P will become famous soon enoughNathan P will become famous soon enoughNathan P will become famous soon enoughNathan P will become famous soon enoughNathan P will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Nathan P Send a message via MSN to Nathan P Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan P

I think it's safe to assume that our ear's ability to resist damage when subjected to sound is not a linear function also, meaning that twice the energy will not yield twice the damage or half the time to damage or whatever you want to call it. It may yield more than twice the damage, less than twice the damage, who knows. I'm not an audiologist.

Nathan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 soundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enough

i been dj ing for over 10 years and use one headphone on one ear to blend the jams, I have no damage what soever to my ears, so go ahead and enjoy the music
soundlevel is offline   Reply With Quote