LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 hempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enough

Default "Bonsai" decorative ipod system build

I recently was trying out white rustoleum appliance epoxy and managed to screw up the finish on a set a computer speakers I was building for a while. The speakers were completely sealed, and I wasn't all that attached to them, so I decided to scrap that project and repurpose the components. I may just cut them so that I can make a removable back panel. But anyway...

I'm essentially making a standalone ipod/mp3 system, using 2 3" buyout drivers from PE that I'm now guessing were prototypes or an early run of Dayton's version of the NS3, the ND-90 . I haven't seen them since I made the original boxes for them, but I think they have that same curved terminal thing, and they both have a silver/bronze colored motor. The amp will be one of the little JBL 12w boards that I bought a long time ago. I used it the other day to run my 3" mtms, and it sounded really great. Better than the Ratshack I've been using, even after making some improvements by removing the preamp. If I didn't have an extra it would be harder to let it go.

I think this'll be the first build I do with the intention of selling, although I'm pretty sure I'll be content to keep it if I have to. I'll probably be selling it through Etsy, as I think it'll be most appealing there. And I believe things like this would be more valuable in an artistic setting.

I'm gonna call it Bonsai for obvious reasons. The tree silhouette will be birch ply, probably two layers together, with grooves routed on the inside of each for wires, and a single volume pot near the base. The two 3" drivers will be in mdf "pods" on each side, modeled after the ns3 mtm. They will probably be painted an olive color, with a flat/satin clearcoat. I'm thinking a mix between a dark walnut and a cherry maple(?) for color on the tree.

There will be a single knob in the middle of the base area of the tree, although I may have to add the bass knob that comes on the amp too. I might try to bypass it somehow. I had a friend whose dad turned knurled wood into gorgeous bowls and such. I may try to get some knobs made. I have some beads that he made that are really sweet. I'm not sure if they're actually "knurled" wood, but the wood he uses has veins of black due to some sort of fungus or bacteria in the wood. Gorgeous stuff. I'll have to get pictures.

As of right now I have to run the thing on the router table with the flush trim bit and get the sides all vertically cut. The jigsaw tends to lean on me when i cut curves. I've been playing around with cleaning up the edge of this birch ply and it cleans up nicely. I do have a void to fill, but I think I will do that after staining but before clear so I can match the color.

And so, on to cellphone pics...

I think you can kinda get the idea from those. The amp will be in the "pot," which will be mdf cut with the compound miter. Kinda like this. I think I'll probably do satin or gloss black. I may have feet, but I'm not sure just yet. I don't really know how hot these things can get. I would love to just throw a bigger heatsink on it and not worry about it, but I'd have to buy something or hack up one I have. Which are both possible.

I was also thinking about using casting resin to cement pebbles into a recess in the "pot".

I really really hope that it's balanced. I think I'm going to test the shape with some eights today. I think if I have to I can add weight in the base.

hempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 hempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enoughhempy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: "Bonsai" decorative ipod system build

I cut out the second plywood panel with a jigsaw, then attached a bunch of double-sided foam tape. i ran the whole thing on the router table with a big new 1/2" flush trim bit.

I also cut out a few of the circles that will make up the speaker bodies, and mocked them up.

Old 10-19-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 102 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Your imagination and creativity is just outstanding. I'm interested to see where this goes as well.
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #4

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Your imagination and creativity is just outstanding. I'm interested to see where this goes as well.
Aw, shucks.

I'm starting to get attached and now I'm kinda worried that I won't want to sell it.

Old 10-20-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

I got a bit done yesterday. I cut out all of the circles for the pods, and this time I decided to route the baffles out and round them over as a doubled up piece. This made the roundover easier, and I was able to cut them cleanly, although I was to the very limit of how deep I could cut with the jasper jig and the upspiral bit. I glued them up with the centering pin in, then removed it after clamping. I had some scary spot where I thought I would be cutting the pin out, as I only had 1/4" to grab sometimes with the vice grips. I had to unclamp one, and move the pin out a bit. Not fun. Gotta move quick with drying glue.

Last edited by hempy; 10-20-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-20-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 King Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enoughKing Nothing will become famous soon enough

I want some woodworking skills LOL

disgusted..........
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mx505 will become famous soon enoughmx505 will become famous soon enoughmx505 will become famous soon enoughmx505 will become famous soon enoughmx505 will become famous soon enoughmx505 will become famous soon enough

Sweet!
mx505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough

What about painting the pods red, pink, or white like a traditional cherry blossom?
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
What about painting the pods red, pink, or white like a traditional cherry blossom?
Hmm very interesting. I really have to think about color now.

I also just realized stain color is probably going to be hard to pick.

I need to start paying attention to trees.

But I got a bushing set today, and now I can start thinking about routing the wiring grooves.

Old 10-21-2009   #10

DIYMA freshman

Comparison with the old boxes

Clamping 4th layer on

All cut except backs

A little bondo

Who needs fancy tabletop sanders?

Worked out really nice

Sweet

Old 10-21-2009   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough2500hd will become famous soon enough

Wow those are going to look amazing! That's a cool trick with the table sander...
Old 10-21-2009   #12

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Batteries Plus
Position:
Local ASM

Rep Power: 74 KARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enough

What are you plans for connecting to the ipod? If you are using the Line out dock will you be designing it to charge the ipod? will it be iphone compatible? or is it just going to use the mini jack?

KARPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARPE View Post
What are you plans for connecting to the ipod? If you are using the Line out dock will you be designing it to charge the ipod? will it be iphone compatible? or is it just going to use the mini jack?
Not really sure. There are probably some points to jump a steady voltage from. Isn't the ipod connection just usb with some extra pin for controllers and interfaces and whatnot? I'm guessing 5v to charge.

It all depends on what kind of cables are available. Can I get rca-level audio out from the plug? Or a standard ipod usb cable?

I also have to think about the layout. If I used an Ipod plug, I would logically want to use it as a dock. So then I would need about a 1"x4" space in the pot. In front would be logical, but at the cost of putting the single volume knob in the base of the tree. I would have to put it on the pot, which I don't think looks as good.

I also was thinking about using a turned wooden trim piece on the 3.5mm plug (if I go with that) that matches the turned wooden knob on the tree.

Basically it comes down to aesthetics vs function. Not sure how much time I want to spend with the ipod compatibility, as it adds more variables to the design, but I do realize that charging while playing is probably pretty crucial.

If I can figure out how to get audio out and 5v in on a usb plug, I'll have the ipod cable lay loose like the headphone jack.

Old 10-22-2009   #14

DIYMA freshman

i'm interested with the setup you're going to use to charge it.
I was thinking about getting a premade dock, gutting the internals, and hooking it up in a custom enclosure with the bamboo TBs.
Something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 7.jpg (10.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-22-2009   #15

DIYMA freshman

Or if your charging setup works well, maybe this T-amp:Parts-Express.comayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier 15 WPC | Dayton audio t amp t-amplifier t-amp t amp t amplifier class t amplifier class-t amplifier class t tripath tri-path tri path tripath amplifier stereo amplifier multimedia amplifier bo
Have you got any pics/info on that JBL 12w you have?
Old 10-29-2009   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
i'm interested with the setup you're going to use to charge it.
I was thinking about getting a premade dock, gutting the internals, and hooking it up in a custom enclosure with the bamboo TBs.
Something like this:
That would work well, although you may have to use more of the internals of the clock than you need, if you planned on using a different amp than the one in the clock base. Although, I'm sure just using the TBs with the amp in the dock would be a worthy improvement.

If you can source a cheap dock like that, it may be cheaper than doing something with a separate amp, since you get the power supply with it, it charges, added functions, etc.

The JBL amp I bought from ApexJr's site. He has since sold out of them, but you can find the page with info by googling something like apexjr jbl 12w.

Made some more progress on the bonsai build.

I finally figured out the easiest way to cut and route the back panels w/ usig any of that foam tape, as it leaves a gap when using it with the roundover. I decided to route out a raised circular bit to hold the panel in place while routing. I had to drum sand the inside of the enclosures a bit, but otherwise it worked perfectly.

I also cut out a guide to cut the wire grooves in the tree. I used my new bushing set, and it worked flawlessly.

Now comes the interesting part of yesterday's work. The drivers i am using for this build were in another unfinished project. The enclosures were completely sealed, and were made from 3/4" mdf. Getting them out was interesting to say the least.

And so, I give you: The Extraction

I cut off the back of one, using tape and everything, trying to see if I could just make the backs removable and keep the enclosures.

Wasn't going to work. I remembered I had glued the sides on over the drivers, requiring me to destroy the enclosures. I also have to worry about the fact that the baskets are stamped and not very strong. The best way seemed to be to knock out the baffle in front of the speaker.

Nice in his new home

Old 10-29-2009   #17

DIYMA freshman

The next one was similar, although I didn't run it on the saw.

And done. I clipped the corners, as the pods were a tiny bit too small.

Aaand... I found this little ipod speaker thing amp and a strangely similarly sized bonsai pot. Should turn into something eventually. It actually pushes a pair of NS3s nicely. I can only imagine how some higher sensitivity TBs would do. I like the idea of doing things with otherwise ****ty electronics.

I have also been toying with the idea of using a clay bonsai pot for the big one. They cost about $15 and have a good bit of room. I think it may also be heavier than an mdf base, so that would help stability.

Old 11-01-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

I like how this is turning out. The ceramic pot will passively cool the electronics, too
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 241 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Sub's

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #20

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Batteries Plus
Position:
Local ASM

Rep Power: 74 KARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enough

Got a link or a name of the ipod amp thing? I'm curious to see what it says it does.

Are you planning on the control knobs being placed on the trunk of the tree or coming through the pot?

KARPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #21

DIYMA freshman

That amp is crazy small! You could do a mini travel bonsai ipod dock dealio, it'd be cool with cougars or whispers huh?
I found that IHome IH8 on eb*y for like 25 bucks, so that would be worth all the internals. That'll have to wait though, I'm buildin tubes with some 3'' TBs for my ole ladys store.
Hey man, all you're work is turnin out great and I'm glad to find someone younger than me that has so much skill. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-08-2009   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 N5K3G will become famous soon enoughN5K3G will become famous soon enoughN5K3G will become famous soon enoughN5K3G will become famous soon enoughN5K3G will become famous soon enoughN5K3G will become famous soon enough

Interesting and wonderful design...
N5K3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Laurent-r will become famous soon enoughLaurent-r will become famous soon enoughLaurent-r will become famous soon enoughLaurent-r will become famous soon enoughLaurent-r will become famous soon enoughLaurent-r will become famous soon enough

Verry nice
Laurent-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #24

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
not in the biz anymore
Position:
Install Manager

Rep Power: 69 slomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enough

wow, this is phenomenal. i was thinking of doing something like this, but just a tall thin tower with a downfiring 6" woofer and a single mid and tweet. you have truly surpassed my imagination. nice work

Lot's of stuff in a garage awaiting the next install.
slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Reevesy will become famous soon enoughReevesy will become famous soon enoughReevesy will become famous soon enoughReevesy will become famous soon enoughReevesy will become famous soon enoughReevesy will become famous soon enough

looks amazing
Reevesy is offline   Reply With Quote