DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Ultimate Sound Deadening and more. 08 Tundra

Tags
floridaspl
29K views 59 replies 38 participants last post by  moclan 
#1 · (Edited)
You've probably seen this beast in the SecondSkin install videos and also on our YouTube channel. Vehicle is owned by FloridaSPL's Buzz Thompson. The truck is a 2008 single cab Toyota Tundra with a TRD supercharger (over 500hp) has less than 9k miles on in.

2 layers of Damplifier Pro, 6 layers of Spectrum, and a layer of Luxury Liner Pro are going in the cab. The doors... well the doors are done to the extreme as you've seen in the videos.... The doors are almost 5' long and have take about a bulk pack of Damplifier Pro in each.

The Truck

Buzz Starting on the first layer of Damplifier Pro on his 5' long doors.

Once he starts he can't stop..

You guessed it.. time for Spectrum..

Spectrum after spraying..

About a month later after adding layers of Spectrum, it's cured

See less See more
#6 ·
I find it interesting that you guys used that expanding foam to fill the cracks as I was just reading a build log on a guy that used an expanding foam for the purpose of stiffening his chassis. Apparently it's measured in "pounds" and can very significantly strengthen the chassis of a car... I wonder how much something like that would help your cause?

I would think that the foam you used seals crevices, but wouldn't add very much strength, which you'd probably only need if you're going for SPL....

Some pretty nice work you're doing there too though! That takes a lot of patience, that's for sure!!

#19 ·
Since deadener doesn't block sound (well), I would suspect his truck will still be plenty loud inside. The windows are also the weak link in sound blockage anyway.

#26 ·
I was careful to remove the deadening from the areas where the hardware attaches to the interior. Mostly, the goal was to reduce vibration and structure born noise. But I wanted to make sure that I filled the voids behind all of the panels as well. Without the Luxury Liner Pro, everything would have returned to it's normal position easily. But the reduction of external noise gained by using LLP is worth the extra effort applied to making it work.

Since deadener doesn't block sound (well), I would suspect his truck will still be plenty loud inside. The windows are also the weak link in sound blockage anyway.
Actually, all you can hear now is noise entering through the glass. There is absolutely NO ROAD NOISE from my tires and body. It's remarkable.

did you put LLP in the doors too?

looks amazing btw
Negative. LLP would create reflections not reduce them. I used Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Overkill Pro in the doors.

Wow...I'm amazed at the attention to detail in regards to the panel deadening. The OCD is strong with this one...
:Yota voice: 'Tis indeed.

#20 ·
I hope you are sponsored..... I probably bought 3-4 cars for less than that much deadening material. Looking great!

#25 ·
'Tis indeed.

I find it interesting that you guys used that expanding foam to fill the cracks as I was just reading a build log on a guy that used an expanding foam for the purpose of stiffening his chassis. Apparently it's measured in "pounds" and can very significantly strengthen the chassis of a car... I wonder how much something like that would help your cause?

I would think that the foam you used seals crevices, but wouldn't add very much strength, which you'd probably only need if you're going for SPL....

Some pretty nice work you're doing there too though! That takes a lot of patience, that's for sure!!
Empty voids harbor resonance. Since they're not empty anymore, they are less noisy.

That is ridiculous! I would be curious to find out how much weight was added.
A couple hundred pounds. But that's nothing compared to the equipment going into it.

Wonder if you'll be able to hear outside sirens and cars passing by :) Very interesting!
Yes I will. The glass lets a LOT of noise in and there's nothing I can do about it. This is similar to wearing hearing protection. You still hear everything, it's just not as loud.

#32 ·
WOW this is incredible. I am amazed that you stripped the firewall on a new vehicle. I did this once on an older vehicle to deaden the firewall and people who haven't done this just can't imagine how big of a job it is with all the wiring, HVAC, etc. and getting everything to fit back together properly. I always wondered what it would be like to do this on my new car but after that experience, there's no way I'm messing around with a full dash removal again.

Next time I go to Miami I have to get a ride in your truck.

My hat is off to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.