HOW TO: Ignore the Off Topic forum - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 142 effenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enough

Default HOW TO: Ignore the Off Topic forum

This site is hands down the best source of information for DIY car audio enthusiasts.

Each time I visit this forum, I click the "New Posts" link to view all of the new posts since my last visit. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly difficult to keep up due to high amount of posts in the Off Topic forum. It's frustrating to have to sift through all those threads every time I visit just to stay on top of relevant discussion about mobile audio.

No disrespect intended to those of you who post in OT. I know that a lot of members enjoy that forum. However, I'm here solely for car audio information and don't have time to read about your sex lives or bowel movements. In fact, I recently had to take a "break" from this forum because it was becoming too time-consuming to stay on top of things.

Anyhow, I did some research and found that specific forums can be excluded from the New Posts search by manipulating the URL. The following link will search for new posts since your last visit except for those in OT. Simply bookmark this link and use it instead of clicking on "New Posts".

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...tnew&exclude=6

I hope that this helps others to continue visiting and contributing to this site while still keeping their sanity like it has done for me

DRZ > PRS > PRS
CD7000 > crap factory speakers
effenay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 919 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: HOW TO: Ignore the Off Topic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by effenay View Post
This site is hands down the best source of information for DIY car audio enthusiasts.

Each time I visit this forum, I click the "New Posts" link to view all of the new posts since my last visit. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly difficult to keep up due to high amount of posts in the Off Topic forum. It's frustrating to have to sift through all those threads every time I visit just to stay on top of relevant discussion about mobile audio.

No disrespect intended to those of you who post in OT. I know that a lot of members enjoy that forum. However, I'm here solely for car audio information and don't have time to read about your sex lives or bowel movements. In fact, I recently had to take a "break" from this forum because it was becoming too time-consuming to stay on top of things.

Anyhow, I did some research and found that specific forums can be excluded from the New Posts search by manipulating the URL. The following link will search for new posts since your last visit except for those in OT. Simply bookmark this link and use it instead of clicking on "New Posts".

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...tnew&exclude=6

I hope that this helps others to continue visiting and contributing to this site while still keeping their sanity like it has done for me
You are my hero! Although I like OT and post in it sometimes at home ON A DIAL UP, sifting thru pages gets time consuming. Sunday night will be sooo much more peasureable now!

Thank You!

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Retired from DIYMA Market

Rep Power: 152 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Cool, now we need one to also ignore the for sale section so it doesn't suck our wallets dry.

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 142 effenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enough

You can exclude as many forums as you want by appending the forum IDs to the exclude parameter, delimited by commas.

For example, to exclude OT, For Sale, Feedback, and Hot Deals:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...lude=6,4,10,11

DRZ > PRS > PRS
CD7000 > crap factory speakers
effenay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 141 Lightninghoof will become famous soon enoughLightninghoof will become famous soon enoughLightninghoof will become famous soon enoughLightninghoof will become famous soon enoughLightninghoof will become famous soon enoughLightninghoof will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: HOW TO: Ignore the Off Topic forum

haha, good tutorial!
Lightninghoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007   #6
mst

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mst will become famous soon enoughmst will become famous soon enoughmst will become famous soon enoughmst will become famous soon enoughmst will become famous soon enoughmst will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
Cool, now we need one to also ignore the for sale section so it doesn't suck our wallets dry.
Right
mst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 141 DonovanM will become famous soon enoughDonovanM will become famous soon enoughDonovanM will become famous soon enoughDonovanM will become famous soon enoughDonovanM will become famous soon enoughDonovanM will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tutorial... it's definitely useful.
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 Kuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enoughKuztimrodder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
That happened to me this past week

'88 GMC Sierra: Alpine CDA-9813~Kenwood KAC728~PG Ryval V754~Dayton RS225~SEAS ER18RNX~Dayton RS28
Kuztimrodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008   #9

Banned

Rep Power: 0 bretti_kivi will become famous soon enoughbretti_kivi will become famous soon enoughbretti_kivi will become famous soon enoughbretti_kivi will become famous soon enoughbretti_kivi will become famous soon enoughbretti_kivi will become famous soon enough

^^BUMP!
bretti_kivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 149 LiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enough

holy thread revival batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCE View Post
your sig is a little out of date.
LiquidClen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Good thread Re-revived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 156 86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough

It should be a sticky.

The taming and domestication of religion is one of the unceasing chores of civilization. -Christopher Hitchens
86mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 99 ashman5 will become famous soon enoughashman5 will become famous soon enoughashman5 will become famous soon enoughashman5 will become famous soon enoughashman5 will become famous soon enoughashman5 will become famous soon enough

AMEN! sticky this post please.

06 Tacoma DC, CarPC, (2x)Boston Acoustics GT-2125(1 per tweeter), (2x) Boston Acoustics GT-2200(1 per midbass), (2x) Audiopipe AP15001D(1 per sub), Vifa XT25 highs, Dynaudio 17W75 mids, Arc 10D2 subs
ashman5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010   #14

Banned

Rep Power: 0 95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough

There is another approach one can use. If your browser is Firefox you can use the Greasemonkey add-in along with Javascript to ignore forums as well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748/

I modified Sivan's "vBulletin On-Topic" script by changing one line to make it ignore "Classifieds", "Off Topic", and the Increasingly Stupid Questions forum. Obviously, this approach is only useful to someone who is comfortable with Greasemonkey, or willing to learn.

The original script is here. The line to change is in bold.

Quote:
// ==UserScript==
// @name vBulletin On-Topic
// @namespace http://userscripts.org/Sivan
// @description vBulletin: Hides selected forums from search results
// ==/UserScript==

// Add comma-delimited quoted names of forums to hide, e.g. "Forum1", "Forum2"
var HIDDEN_FORUMS = new Array("Off-Topic");

var forumNamePredicates = ".= '" + HIDDEN_FORUMS.join("' or .= '") + "'";
var xpathExpression = "id('threadslist')/tbody/tr[td/a[" + forumNamePredicates + "]]";
var rows = document.evaluate(xpathExpression, document, null, XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);

for(var i = 0; i < rows.snapshotLength; i++) {
var row = rows.snapshotItem(i);
row.style.display = "none";
}
My edited line is:

Quote:
var HIDDEN_FORUMS = new Array("Off Topic" , "The \"No Question is Dumb\" forum" , "Classifieds");
All that is important to note is that the spelling of "Off topic" was changed and it was necessary to to escape the quotes in the name of the "I will not search or read" forum.

Last edited by 95Maxima; 10-13-2010 at 09:23 AM..
95Maxima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010   #15
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 372 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

Stuck.
ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010   #16

Banned

Rep Power: 0 95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough95Maxima will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
Stuck.
Ummm, I don't think it is???
95Maxima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 kulle will become famous soon enoughkulle will become famous soon enoughkulle will become famous soon enoughkulle will become famous soon enoughkulle will become famous soon enoughkulle will become famous soon enough

Thank you for that good tip, it's true that the off topic is slightly crowded !
kulle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Beloe will become famous soon enoughBeloe will become famous soon enoughBeloe will become famous soon enoughBeloe will become famous soon enoughBeloe will become famous soon enoughBeloe will become famous soon enough

Thanks mate!
Beloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010   #19

Banned

Rep Power: 0 PaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enough

wow, OT is the only thing worth reading ... well unless you wanna read up on what subs bang the hardest or which sub will be the loudest.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 The_man will become famous soon enoughThe_man will become famous soon enoughThe_man will become famous soon enoughThe_man will become famous soon enoughThe_man will become famous soon enoughThe_man will become famous soon enough

I agree, this is a great site and all will see me here more now!
The_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 morning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enoughmorning_wood will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Thats good to know!
morning_wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 robble will become famous soon enoughrobble will become famous soon enoughrobble will become famous soon enoughrobble will become famous soon enoughrobble will become famous soon enoughrobble will become famous soon enough

I've gotta try this trick on a couple other forums I frequent.
robble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Posting in the off topic forum is alot like masturbating. Your just fu<&!ng yourself!
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricasseekid View Post
Posting in the off topic forum is alot like masturbating. Your just fu<&!ng yourself!
A newbie with 400 posts in one month, sounds like a lot of masturbating, give the thing a rest before it falls off....LOL
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan fan View Post
A newbie with 400 posts in one month, sounds like a lot of masturbating, give the thing a rest before it falls off....LOL
I got enough to spare.... BS that is!
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement