the loudest Shallow Mount Subwoofer - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Default Re: the loudest Shallow Mount Subwoofer

Since we were talking about Polks, I found a klippel test of the SR series, it tests godawful:

Subwoofer Test Report - Polk Audio SR124DVC - Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

Without accounting for suspension or inductance nonlinearities it has less than 10 mm of stroke before it reaches 10% distortion due to motor nonlinearities alone. The suspension is just as bad based on the reading so pretty crappy.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Since we were talking about Polks, I found a klippel test of the SR series, it tests godawful:

Subwoofer Test Report - Polk Audio SR124DVC - Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

Without accounting for suspension or inductance nonlinearities it has less than 10 mm of stroke before it reaches 10% distortion due to motor nonlinearities alone. The suspension is just as bad based on the reading so pretty crappy.
Lots of companies have there crap speakers and their quality lines. I don't know much about the Polk SR but I can say the Polk MM is either nowhere near that bad, or that much distortion is inaudible.

But even still, seeing as how the title of the thread is "the loudest shallow mount" and not the best, my vote still goes to the Polks. These things pound their ass off.
It's not the best sound quality I've ever heard but they sound real good at reasonable listening volumes (which is any volume low enough to blend with the mid bass in my setup). But I'm running them at 1 ohm so you can't say the speakers are to blame for any distortion heard at high volume. What's it called, power compression, or something like that?
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 187 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricasseekid View Post
Lots of companies have there crap speakers and their quality lines. I don't know much about the Polk SR but I can say the Polk MM is either nowhere near that bad, or that much distortion is inaudible.

But even still, seeing as how the title of the thread is "the loudest shallow mount" and not the best, my vote still goes to the Polks. These things pound their ass off.
It's not the best sound quality I've ever heard but they sound real good at reasonable listening volumes (which is any volume low enough to blend with the mid bass in my setup). But I'm running them at 1 ohm so you can't say the speakers are to blame for any distortion heard at high volume. What's it called, power compression, or something like that?
The SR stands for Signature Reference, usually their best offering. I would think that's as good as they can come up with.

Power compression is still the woofer's fault as it can't dissipate heat quick enough through it's voicecoil and heatsinks.

I would think the loudest shallow woofer is simply the one with the most mechanical throw. Xmech is given most of times and if not you have to dissect a speaker for it. The Alpine has that motor structure that goes through the spider. That should make it king of the hill for it's depth. The Polk could outdisplace it but then again it's not as shallow.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:

Old 08-29-2011   #79
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 281 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Strange??? Coz I had that white paper for a long time and thought it was a pretty good sub: http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/w...WhitePaper.pdf

Quality control problem? Or just play lie?

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011   #80
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 281 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The SR stands for Signature Reference, usually their best offering. I would think that's as good as they can come up with.

Power compression is still the woofer's fault as it can't dissipate heat quick enough through it's voicecoil and heatsinks.

I would think the loudest shallow woofer is simply the one with the most mechanical throw. Xmech is given most of times and if not you have to dissect a speaker for it. The Alpine has that motor structure that goes through the spider. That should make it king of the hill for it's depth. The Polk could outdisplace it but then again it's not as shallow.
Wonder what's your point of view regarding the SL10 and SL12 and their "Spiderless push pull suspension"...
Since you said that Alpine made a "motor structure that goes through the spider - making it king of the hill for it's depth" ; wouldn't a spiderless design be even better? Honest question really

The voice coil is usually centered in the magnetic gap by the use of a spider suspension that limits its excursion. Cones high forces are created and the non-linear elasticity of the spider causes distortion. For better control of the excursion most manufacturers feature a double spider suspension to provide better control. Wonder what a spiderless suspension does...

Here's a quote I found from a forum poster: "Specifically, they provide returning force and a little damping. However, they are never ideal springs, and this contributes to distortion. They do have the benefit of both returning and locating the coil former, though"
^ wouldn't that mean that RE found a way to lower distorsion?

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Old 08-29-2011   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could find a white sheet like that for the Polk MM. That info is nearly 6 years olds, If Polk's technology hasn't gone anywhere since then I'll be a monkey's uncle!
Old 08-29-2011   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Wonder what's your point of view regarding the SL10 and SL12 and their "Spiderless push pull suspension"...
Since you said that Alpine made a "motor structure that goes through the spider - making it king of the hill for it's depth" ; wouldn't a spiderless design be even better? Honest question really

The voice coil is usually centered in the magnetic gap by the use of a spider suspension that limits its excursion. Cones high forces are created and the non-linear elasticity of the spider causes distortion. For better control of the excursion most manufacturers feature a double spider suspension to provide better control. Wonder what a spiderless suspension does...

Here's a quote I found from a forum poster: "Specifically, they provide returning force and a little damping. However, they are never ideal springs, and this contributes to distortion. They do have the benefit of both returning and locating the coil former, though"
^ wouldn't that mean that RE found a way to lower distorsion?

Kelvin
Sounds to me like this spiderless design cannot center the voicecoil in the gap that well. I would think the clearances would be bigger as a result and therefore there would be less motor strength. If it's centered by the means of some funky surround that may take up the place of the spider in creating it's own distortion.

I like that companies are innovating a lot nowadays, although I couldn't care less about the shallow subs given that all subs should have a minimum amount of room behind them. Sadly we don't have the tools and resources to test whether these new inventions work well. Look at all the tools the big boys are using:

Expanding Our Measurement Capabilities

I'm sure there are scientific ways to see the resonance in parts just like there are ways to check for their nonlinearities and they work quite well.

I'm not sure why the white sheet on the SR varies so wildly from the 3rd party test. In this case the 3rd party is well experienced too. Not big into conspiracy theories but it would be nice to get a second opinion here, maybe send one to Erin for testing.

Alpine publishes their xmech I think, if the Polk does to it should be easy to check which one got it better.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 08-29-2011   #83
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Sounds to me like this spiderless design cannot center the voicecoil in the gap that well. I would think the clearances would be bigger as a result and therefore there would be less motor strength. If it's centered by the means of some funky surround that may take up the place of the spider in creating it's own distortion.

I like that companies are innovating a lot nowadays, although I couldn't care less about the shallow subs given that all subs should have a minimum amount of room behind them. Sadly we don't have the tools and resources to test whether these new inventions work well. Look at all the tools the big boys are using:

Expanding Our Measurement Capabilities

I'm sure there are scientific ways to see the resonance in parts just like there are ways to check for their nonlinearities and they work quite well.

I'm not sure why the white sheet on the SR varies so wildly from the 3rd party test. In this case the 3rd party is well experienced too. Not big into conspiracy theories but it would be nice to get a second opinion here, maybe send one to Erin for testing.

Alpine publishes their xmech I think, if the Polk does to it should be easy to check which one got it better.
Gonna try to e-mail RE Audio in order to have more infos regarding this.
Do you have questions I should ask on top of that? Regarding the design of the driver?

Am gonna ask if they have some klippel measurements (don't think they will send me anything regarding this though - one can hope ) and what the spiderless suspension adds to the performance. Also want to know the voice-coil size/dimensions...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 08-29-2011   #84

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jdizzle0305 will become famous soon enoughjdizzle0305 will become famous soon enoughjdizzle0305 will become famous soon enoughjdizzle0305 will become famous soon enoughjdizzle0305 will become famous soon enoughjdizzle0305 will become famous soon enough

hahahahaha
jdizzle0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011   #85
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

^ hell of a first post...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 08-30-2011   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Gonna try to e-mail RE Audio in order to have more infos regarding this.
Do you have questions I should ask on top of that? Regarding the design of the driver?

Am gonna ask if they have some klippel measurements (don't think they will send me anything regarding this though - one can hope ) and what the spiderless suspension adds to the performance. Also want to know the voice-coil size/dimensions...

Kelvin
If they send Klippel results that would be good enough. You'll find that a lot of car audio brands simply do not have the overhead to test their drivers, no Klippel no AES power ratings etc. If they don't have these tools to optimize their speakers they will likely perform very bad as well, why test if you know it's not going to be good.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 08-30-2011   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Strange??? Coz I had that white paper for a long time and thought it was a pretty good sub: http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/w...WhitePaper.pdf

Quality control problem? Or just play lie?

Kelvin
I looked at this again. Patrick at Red Rock A. was the tester, that guy really knows his stuff. Not sure what's going on. The white sheet gives about 14mm of linear BL, while the 3rd party is only at 9mm. Some of that is due to a motor offset, but even then there are 2 mm of BL missing if centered.

Let's say the white sheet is the true performance. It's got 14mm of motor throw and about 11mm of suspension throw. Inductance isn't even tested but i'm guessing is very poor since no shorting rings are mentioned. A cheap Dayton RS sub, at only $130 has just as much motor and a bit more suspension throw. Add on top of that an intricate web of shorting rings to address inductance. The Dayton is flat out superior. I'm also basing this comparo on a 3rd party Klippel test on the Dayton. I tend to favor Patrick's results as more unbiased. The Dayton is far far superior anyway you put it.

This is everyday life in the car audio world, lots of $ spend on inferior product and shiny fat baskets. For better performance I would seriously look into DIY products, either the Dayton shallow sub or maybe this SB acoustics:

SB Acoustics SW26DAC76-4 Shallow 10" Subwoofer 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 08-30-2011   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

The chart published by Polk may not show alot of throw but it is very symmetrical.
CA&E's test came from a DVC sub. Is it possible that the test report posted by Polk could've been a SVC sub and that might explain the difference in symmetry?

I know a speaker Q can vary widely from DVC and SVC, could the same be said for BL?
Old 08-30-2011   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Quote:
I looked at this again. Patrick at Red Rock A. was the tester, that guy really knows his stuff. Not sure what's going on. The white sheet gives about 14mm of linear BL, while the 3rd party is only at 9mm. Some of that is due to a motor offset, but even then there are 2 mm of BL missing if centered.

Let's say the white sheet is the true performance. It's got 14mm of motor throw and about 11mm of suspension throw. Inductance isn't even tested but i'm guessing is very poor since no shorting rings are mentioned. A cheap Dayton RS sub, at only $130 has just as much motor and a bit more suspension throw. Add on top of that an intricate web of shorting rings to address inductance. The Dayton is flat out superior. I'm also basing this comparo on a 3rd party Klippel test on the Dayton. I tend to favor Patrick's results as more unbiased. The Dayton is far far superior anyway you put it.

This is everyday life in the car audio world, lots of $ spend on inferior product and shiny fat baskets. For better performance I would seriously look into DIY products, either the Dayton shallow sub or maybe this SB acoustics:

SB Acoustics SW26DAC76-4 Shallow 10" Subwoofer 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store
Yet the SR is not the sub being scrutinized here, it's the Polk MM which is cheaper than the Dayton.
Old 08-30-2011   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricasseekid View Post
The chart published by Polk may not show alot of throw but it is very symmetrical.
CA&E's test came from a DVC sub. Is it possible that the test report posted by Polk could've been a SVC sub and that might explain the difference in symmetry?

I know a speaker Q can vary widely from DVC and SVC, could the same be said for BL?
No dice, the BL will shift from one coil configuration to another but the shape will remain the same. It could be production variance, or maybe Polk tested a test version while RRA had an actual production unit. Concept vs production unit thing.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 1 Week Ago   #91

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 muhammd will become famous soon enoughmuhammd will become famous soon enoughmuhammd will become famous soon enoughmuhammd will become famous soon enoughmuhammd will become famous soon enoughmuhammd will become famous soon enough

I believe the Rockford Fosgate P3D2 is the loudest shallow mount subwoofer out there. it has magnificent build quality and it is awesome with the lows
muhammd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement