LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enough

Default best sub enclosure for rock music

Hey, so I have a question for you all. Currently I have an entry level pioneer 12, in a sealed enclosure. I am driving it with a briged 450 watt amp.

The enclosure is partical board and starting to come apart. I want to make a new one but I wanted some advice.

Which enclosure do you think would be the best for someone who listens to rock music. I am thinking about building a ported enclosure and using some dead space in the side of my trunk.

would it be better to use a sealed enclosure, or a ported box. The trunk is sealed really well, and there is dynamat layed down.

my current box sounds ok, but there are times when it sounds flat or tinny. I dont know if its cause the sub is hitting to quick, or if its just a bad box. it sounds pretty good when I listen to R&B.

also the trunk deck is vented from the factory into the Car itself. any help you could provide would be great. I am just getting into this whole thing so I am pretty inexperienced.

97 VW jetta
68 Lincoln Continental
dubtunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 BaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: best sub enclosure for rock music

You will probably want a sealed box for rock music because sealed gives you more of a punch then ported.It wouldn't matter either way. You could still make a ported box and if tuned right could sound awesome with the right tuning frequency.

I would also suggest not using particle board next time. Doesn't seem to be very strong.
BaaH268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Reedlom will become famous soon enoughReedlom will become famous soon enoughReedlom will become famous soon enoughReedlom will become famous soon enoughReedlom will become famous soon enoughReedlom will become famous soon enough

I agree with BaaH268 - you will probably prefer a sealed enclosure to a ported enclosure unless you are seeking high SPL. I suggest 3/4" mdf for the enclosure. Glue it and screw it!
Reedlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 886 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaaH268 View Post
You will probably want a sealed box for rock music because sealed gives you more of a punch then ported.It wouldn't matter either way. You could still make a ported box and if tuned right could sound awesome with the right tuning frequency.

I would also suggest not using particle board next time. Doesn't seem to be very strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedlom View Post
I agree with BaaH268 - you will probably prefer a sealed enclosure to a ported enclosure unless you are seeking high SPL. I suggest 3/4" mdf for the enclosure. Glue it and screw it!
You guys are most certainly new here.

This is just not the case and a PROPERLY designed vented enclosure will actually kick ass with rock music. there have been MANY sealed/vented discussions, I recommend you search around for them and make your decision based on that versus the street knowledge that "sealed enclosures are tighter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 116 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
You guys are most certainly new here.
hell, they only have 11 posts between them
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

I listen to a lot of older AC/DC and it absolutely slams on vented boxes. Especially You Shook Me All Night Long, Thunderstruck, and Whole Lotta Rosie
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 suds1228 will become famous soon enoughsuds1228 will become famous soon enoughsuds1228 will become famous soon enoughsuds1228 will become famous soon enoughsuds1228 will become famous soon enoughsuds1228 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I listen to a lot of older AC/DC and it absolutely slams on vented boxes. Especially You Shook Me All Night Long, Thunderstruck, and Whole Lotta Rosie
Agreed. I have listened to many, many vented systems and when properly matched and tuned they are tight, deep and musical. I use sealed enclosures simply due to the smaller space req.
suds1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 BaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enoughBaaH268 will become famous soon enough

Thats my bad. I said a ported box can do just as good as sealed if done right I just didn't go into depth about it. And yes I don't have much experience with ported boxes so I am still partial to sealed.
BaaH268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 886 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaaH268 View Post
Thats my bad. I said a ported box can do just as good as sealed if done right I just didn't go into depth about it. And yes I don't have much experience with ported boxes so I am still partial to sealed.
We will change you Just wait

Quote:
Old 02-19-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 111 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
We will change you Just wait
That is the truth... just bought my first DIYMA R12 this week... Can't wait to get it installed. But still much more for grasshoppas like me to learn...
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 dubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enoughdubtunner will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys I appreciate it. my current box came from my brother in-law. I hate particle board too. however if I wait long enough, it looks like my sealed box might port itself. of course it looks like I have been chipping wood in my trunk. I have heard some beautiful ported enclosures, thats what makes me lean towards that.

another question, I get some distortion on my mids in my rear deck, I am thinking about building some fiberglass cups for them to set in, to help protect them from all the air moving in the trunk space. or do you think that I should just pickup some better mids?

97 VW jetta
68 Lincoln Continental
dubtunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Strugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enough

I'm going to be building a sealed enclosure for two 12's this weekend. I am currently using a store bought ported band pass enclosure with one 12 and I hate it. I realize that part of that hate is because it's a pre-made enclosure that designed for "a" 12 and not specific to "my" 12. I just dont like the way it sounds for most (not all) of the music I play. I'm going to make the sealed enclosure and run it for a while and if the results aren't where I want them, then I'll make a vented enclosure and see what that does.
Strugglewithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Audible Excellence
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 77 ender will become famous soon enoughender will become famous soon enoughender will become famous soon enoughender will become famous soon enoughender will become famous soon enoughender will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds1228 View Post
Agreed. I have listened to many, many vented systems and when properly matched and tuned they are tight, deep and musical. I use sealed enclosures simply due to the smaller space req.
I love the fact that people are finally starting to realize that when done right ported/vented system will rock the hell out of sealed systems in both sq and spl. I will agree that most ported systems that people are running do sound sloppy as hell but that is mainly because they just get a prefab box and toss it in the trunk . So make sure you get the design right because ported box are very sensitive to inner volume, port size, ect. If you want to Build the box yourself I am sure there are plenty of people that will help you out with what materials to go with ( I don't want to start the MDF birch debate), what tools you are going to need, and even help out with a design for it. Ask around, pretty much everyone on this forum know what they are talking about and are more than willing to help a fellow audio freak. My recommendation for your initial question, Build your own ported/vented box and have some fun trying something new.
ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Bears repeating

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender View Post
I love the fact that people are finally starting to realize that when done right ported/vented system will rock the hell out of sealed systems in both sq and spl. I will agree that most ported systems that people are running do sound sloppy as hell but that is mainly because they just get a prefab box and toss it in the trunk . So make sure you get the design right because ported box are very sensitive to inner volume, port size, ect. If you want to Build the box yourself I am sure there are plenty of people that will help you out with what materials to go with ( I don't want to start the MDF birch debate), what tools you are going to need, and even help out with a design for it. Ask around, pretty much everyone on this forum know what they are talking about and are more than willing to help a fellow audio freak. My recommendation for your initial question, Build your own ported/vented box and have some fun trying something new.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2009   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Strugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enoughStrugglewithin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender View Post

I just havent heard enough from vented enclosures. I've not ever really been "into" Car audio to consider myself in any way "in the know" about much of it. I do know that I hate my current set up. Even before my Pioneer amp crapped out and I had to go to this hand me down chump thing that I have now I didnt care for the way it sounded. Rather, it didnt sound how I felt like it should have. The punch on rock music just isnt there like I would prefer it.

I do want to built a good vented enclosure for my two 12's (that are on the way) in the next few months and see if I like it better than the sealed one I'm about to be building.
I have to find out all the need to knows for making a vented one though. There's more to it than a sealed setup. And I want to do it myself because that's more than half the fun.
Strugglewithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 thegeck will become famous soon enoughthegeck will become famous soon enoughthegeck will become famous soon enoughthegeck will become famous soon enoughthegeck will become famous soon enoughthegeck will become famous soon enough

Vented boxes will always take a couple of tries to get it right...not just because of you Car but to find what sounds good to you. But when the are dialed in right they have advantages.
thegeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #17

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubtunner View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it. my current box came from my brother in-law. I hate particle board too. however if I wait long enough, it looks like my sealed box might port itself. of course it looks like I have been chipping wood in my trunk. I have heard some beautiful ported enclosures, thats what makes me lean towards that.

another question, I get some distortion on my mids in my rear deck, I am thinking about building some fiberglass cups for them to set in, to help protect them from all the air moving in the trunk space. or do you think that I should just pickup some better mids?
Do a search for VBA (violent bass air).

J/K

Well you can search for it if you need to kill some time!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Use a vented/ported enclosure. Use WinISD software (its free) to determine the size of your enclosure and the size of the port. A well designed ported enclosure will give you more low end extension and louder bass output for the same amount of power. It is a myth that sealed enclosures are "accurate" and vented enclosures are only meant for SPL. The main thing is that you have the box properly designed and built.

I have a pair of Kef 103/4 speakers in my home. They are ported speakers. These speakers have been extensively reviewed and they are considered very acurate speakers.

In terms of particle board/MDF, you don't mention how thick it is and how it was built. Use 3/8" and use wood glue on all the joints. Use screws to hold things together (mainly to allow the glue to dry). Use plenty of glue and you shouldn't have any problems. e.g. Run a bead of glue around each of the joints inside the enclosure.

Have a look at Chad's thread on his ported Dayton 10" HO.

2011 BMW 335i M/T + JB4
OEM HU -> DA2 -> Helix DSP -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> Picolos + Dyn 430 + XE200 + Dyn 1200 (IB)

Last edited by snaimpally; 03-04-2009 at 08:20 PM..
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 82 CAPO will become famous soon enoughCAPO will become famous soon enoughCAPO will become famous soon enoughCAPO will become famous soon enoughCAPO will become famous soon enoughCAPO will become famous soon enough

ahhh i think you could go with something like a Magnum. very punchy. Rock dosent bear the long blaring bass notes like rap so in my application i have an avalanche. Love it have 2 actually one is still in the box.
CAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enough

Is 3/8" MDF strong enough? I've never built a box out of anything less than 3/4" but I need all the cubic inches and mounting depth I can get out of my new truck install. I was thinking 1/2" but if 3/8" MDF will do it, I will reconsider. Thanks.

Wait - this new box will most likely be a ported, so there's less pressure compared to sealed, right? This is for a Dayton HO 10" powered by a JL audio 500/1. I've got plenty of room under the rear bench for a long port, but only about 5-5.5" of depth and thinner material will help.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

a vented box can actually exceed sealed box pressures.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 160 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Is 3/8" MDF strong enough? I've never built a box out of anything less than 3/4" but I need all the cubic inches and mounting depth I can get out of my new truck install. I was thinking 1/2" but if 3/8" MDF will do it, I will reconsider. Thanks.

Wait - this new box will most likely be a ported, so there's less pressure compared to sealed, right? This is for a Dayton HO 10" powered by a JL audio 500/1. I've got plenty of room under the rear bench for a long port, but only about 5-5.5" of depth and thinner material will help.
3/8" sounds pretty thin. By the time you brace the shit out of it, It'll take more room than using 3/4".
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enoughMarkG will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, I'll bump up to 5/8" MDF and probably a 3/4" baffle.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 Cerberus2k7 will become famous soon enoughCerberus2k7 will become famous soon enoughCerberus2k7 will become famous soon enoughCerberus2k7 will become famous soon enoughCerberus2k7 will become famous soon enoughCerberus2k7 will become famous soon enough

I've actually found this thread to be pretty informative. I was dead set on having a sealed setup with some IDQs. Heard a vented box with them, but they sounded like ass. He got the box from Best Buy which I guess would be the reason for the crappy quality.
Cerberus2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 soundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enoughsoundlevel will become famous soon enough

the entry level pioneer subs are not very musical, try image dynamics idqv3 or diamond audio d3 sub in a 3/4 mdf sealed 1.75 foot enclosure stuffed with poly fill, for some nice results
soundlevel is offline   Reply With Quote