Legends of Car Audio ebay store - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Legends of Car Audio ebay store

I think some of his asking prices for subs are a little too high. Actually owning some 80's-90's subs, I can tell you that they are night and day from what is offered nowadays. Completely different animals. Older subs were built when big power would have been 250 watts to a single sub. So, they were more efficient and power sensitive. And the build quality was just OK, not superior in most cases.
I like and use the older V1 and V2 Image Dynamics IDQ subs from back in the day. So, I guess the market is there. But, I do USE those subs. There are some people who will pay a lot for nostalgia pieces that they can sit on their shelves and brag about owning.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 79 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Speaking of old subs.
A friend pulled a old mid 90s Rockford out of his attic. Everything was rubbed off so I'm not sure the model, it looked to have a 2.5in coil.
We built a 1cu sealed box for it, basic 12in.
Thing wouldn't play under 45hz for nothing. Maybe it needed more airspace but it killed my idea of doing a old school build.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 stickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Speaking of old subs.

A friend pulled a old mid 90s Rockford out of his attic. Everything was rubbed off so I'm not sure the model, it looked to have a 2.5in coil.

We built a 1cu sealed box for it, basic 12in.

Thing wouldn't play under 45hz for nothing. Maybe it needed more airspace but it killed my idea of doing a old school build.

The sub was the problem, not the amp, I assure you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stickpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 stickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Same as people that still think A/B is superior to D. Go get a A/B boss amp

Comparing a technology to a brand makes no sense. Comparing a brand to a brand is what you should be doing, or comparing different technologies within a brand name. For example: compare a class A/B Boss amp to a class D Boss amp .

Randomly pulling 'Boss' out as a testament to A/B amps being inferior to class D makes no sense. That like comparing say the job of President of the United States is better than the Vice President, but only if it's Barack Obama. The comparison make ZERO sense

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
I think some of his asking prices for subs are a little too high. Actually owning some 80's-90's subs, I can tell you that they are night and day from what is offered nowadays. Completely different animals. Older subs were built when big power would have been 250 watts to a single sub. So, they were more efficient and power sensitive. And the build quality was just OK, not superior in most cases.

I like and use the older V1 and V2 Image Dynamics IDQ subs from back in the day. So, I guess the market is there. But, I do USE those subs. There are some people who will pay a lot for nostalgia pieces that they can sit on their shelves and brag about owning.

Supply and demand buddy. It's legacy equipment

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
New stuff is built fine if you are not buying junk. Don't forget, there was a lot of crap built back in the day also.

And those same crap brands permeate the marketplace today. What's your point!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Not all old shit was better build and that guy listing is perfecr demonstration of it.
Where do you find me shitting on it?
I just expressed my opinion why people buying old stuff.
I despise term "old school" as overused and presented as superior by default.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

So go look at the store and tell me in your esteemed opinion, what qualifies as good and bad in that eBay store.

'Despise' sure is a strong word, coming from an old school guy. Make sense!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
So go look at the store and tell me in your esteemed opinion, what qualifies as good and bad in that eBay store.

'Despise' sure is a strong word, coming from an old school guy. Make sense!

I have better things to do than browse his 600 items again.

Don`t you agree than term "oldschool" is overused by many?
Old stuff doesn`t make it "old school"

Many of his things is top shelf shit if you stuck in 1990, I`m trying not to.
Top shelf means top dollars, see that surfboard he posing with for example? 4 grand-yeah right... same power can be had for 1/10 today.
building tube amplifiers doesn`t mean I use old tech, well audio part of it is but making 300-700V out of available 14 is nothing old school nor old tech.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Supply and demand buddy. It's legacy equipment

Well, his supply seems to be healthy as he has a lot of gear for sale.
Demand? Maybe not so much. I see a lot of his stuff stay up for a long time and eventually get reposted.
I'm not hatin' on him. I hope he keeps selling gear for crazy high prices. Makes all mine worth more!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
I have better things to do than browse his 600 items again.

Don`t you agree than term "oldschool" is overused by many?
Old stuff doesn`t make it "old school"

Many of his things is top shelf shit if you stuck in 1990, I`m trying not to.
Top shelf means top dollars, see that surfboard he posing with for example? 4 grand-yeah right... same power can be had for 1/10 today.
building tube amplifiers doesn`t mean I use old tech, well audio part of it is but making 300-700V out of available 14 is nothing old school nor old tech.
You're right about the obsolescence of older gear. I have a 1600 watt PPI amp sitting across the room from me. It's 30" long. The same power can now be had in a chassis roughly only 12" long. Yeah, it'll be class D and no one...NO ONE will ever be able to tell the difference. Especially on a subwoofer(s) playing 20Hz- 80Hz.
But, I do love this old stuff. And of course it's totally a nostalgia thing. I literally have nothing I could put that PPI surfboard in without major modifications. So, I'm as guilty as anyone I guess.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 145 Pseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enough

this zuki's old collection?
Pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 49 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

All I can say is thank God for this guy. I've purchased several things from him.

Including my Old School BNIB MB Quart Discus 15" subs, that I just installed in the Time Machine.

Best Subs I have ever heard in my life.

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 will. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enough

Here are some old school goodies...

Pair Old School Boss American 12" subwoofers, Rare, Vintage, Made in USA | eBay

Let this hilarious thread carry on...
will. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 79 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

No. It's old school it must be praised as the best ever. Nothing today is made that well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
You're right about the obsolescence of older gear. I have a 1600 watt PPI amp sitting across the room from me. It's 30" long. The same power can now be had in a chassis roughly only 12" long. Yeah, it'll be class D and no one...NO ONE will ever be able to tell the difference. Especially on a subwoofer(s) playing 20Hz- 80Hz.
But, I do love this old stuff. And of course it's totally a nostalgia thing. I literally have nothing I could put that PPI surfboard in without major modifications. So, I'm as guilty as anyone I guess.
exactly.

todays new cars are superior to cars from 20-30 years ago in every way, except for Nostalgia and collectors curiosity.

now some old school gear truly does have some amazing sound. AND, collecting it transports you back in time , invoking feelings from years ago.

perfect example:

years ago i always wanted the US Amps tu-4360 amp in my car, but for whatever reason, i never purchased one. But fast forward to modern times, thanks to ebay, i found some NOS( new old stock) of that exact amp from 1999, and i bought it.

Is the sound 'superior' to new equipment? who knows. that's the beauty of music. sound is subjective. But it does sound unique compared to other sound systems from today. it has more warmth and separation than many modern high tech amps ive listened to. newer isn't always better.

thats just one example of course. naturally, there is good with bad mixed in as well in regards to the guy's ebay store.

All i know is that all the people bitching and whining about price are obviously not collectors, and do not understand the principle of supply and demand. if the supply is low, or something is obsolete or hard to find, and there is still a demand for it, then the price will fluctuate according to those principles.

MOST( not all, but most ) of that equipment on that ebay listing are below distribution cost from that time period, i know this because i was a dealer for about 3 years and was familiar with distribution costs so they are priced affordably in my opinion. you can compare technologies and time periods all you want, but its not about that. it is supply... and demand. plain and simple
The Following User Says Thank You to stickpony For This Useful Post:
Sleeves (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
No. It's old school it must be praised as the best ever. Nothing today is made that well.
There are arguments both ways. Older amps were very basic...no crossovers, bass boost circuits (except for RF, ha!) or subsonic filters, etc.
Those amps just did what they were meant to do...amplify the signal.
But, they were terribly inefficient. Even modern class A/B amps from better known manufacturers are better.

Meanwhile, newer class D amps offer a lot to the consumer. Much smaller footprint, sometimes bordering on tiny. More power with less heat and strain on the electrical system. Quality crossovers and even in a few cases, onboard processing is becoming the norm. How long till we see a 1000 watt amp the size of a credit card?

So, a new 2017 Corvette will run rings around a '65 split-window. But, there are still plenty of people who desire the older car, either for collectability purposes or for pure nostalgia.
I don't think it's an either/or kind of thing. You can own and enjoy both.

The Following User Says Thank You to PPI_GUY For This Useful Post:
DC/Hertz (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

That's true. I just never had the desire to go back to the 90s. I don't have a disposable income to be a collector.
I do still think the old PG ZX amps are some of the best looking amps out there. It was also my first amp I bought on my own. All the ones before where pass downs from my dads RF sponsored SPL rig.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
exactly.

All i know is that all the people bitching and whining about price are obviously not collectors, and do not understand the principle of supply and demand. if the supply is low, or something is obsolete or hard to find, and there is still a demand for it, then the price will fluctuate according to those principles.
I disagree. In recent years I've seen prices for PPI amps (just an example) skyrocket and I believe much of it is because of an artificially induced frenzy. Primarily by sellers on eBay continually listing gear at higher and higher prices. I know there are circumstances unique to each item being listed but, an average or "neighborhood" price isn't hard to figure. So, if an amp that was selling for a BIN of $125 three or four years ago now has an asking price of $225-$250, what happened?

My opinion is that there are quite a few more "flippers" and "basement retailers" around now that are trying to make a living off of the car audio collector hobby. A few years ago they saw an old amp in very average condition sell for $125 and they say to themselves "I can go to yard sales and flea markets, buy up all this old gear and jack up the price and make bank."
Only, we all know making $30-$40 profit on each piece soon isn't enough and therefore the prices start to go up. That isn't supply and demand ruling the market.

I don't call myself a collector as I actually only have maybe 25-30 pieces. But, some are very rare and most are in extremely nice condition. Most all of them cost me a fair price. When I say "fair" I mean a fair price for 20-25 year old equipment that even though it says "Made In The USA", is in all likelihood inferior to comparable modern gear made in some far off land.

Finally, I would advise shoppers to learn to walk away from prices that are just thru the roof. A used piece of equipment, even though it may be nice and perhaps even rare, is NOT worth the same or more than retailers asked for it 20 years ago. Common sense FTW.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I still see Alpine F#1 status HUs fetching just a bit under retail. Sure it was great then but now it's nothing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 will. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I disagree. In recent years I've seen prices for PPI amps (just an example) skyrocket and I believe much of it is because of an artificially induced frenzy. Primarily by sellers on eBay continually listing gear at higher and higher prices. I know there are circumstances unique to each item being listed but, an average or "neighborhood" price isn't hard to figure. So, if an amp that was selling for a BIN of $125 three or four years ago now has an asking price of $225-$250, what happened?

My opinion is that there are quite a few more "flippers" and "basement retailers" around now that are trying to make a living off of the car audio collector hobby. A few years ago they saw an old amp in very average condition sell for $125 and they say to themselves "I can go to yard sales and flea markets, buy up all this old gear and jack up the price and make bank."
Only, we all know making $30-$40 profit on each piece soon isn't enough and therefore the prices start to go up. That isn't supply and demand ruling the market.

I don't call myself a collector as I actually only have maybe 25-30 pieces. But, some are very rare and most are in extremely nice condition. Most all of them cost me a fair price. When I say "fair" I mean a fair price for 20-25 year old equipment that even though it says "Made In The USA", is in all likelihood inferior to comparable modern gear made in some far off land.

Finally, I would advise shoppers to learn to walk away from prices that are just thru the roof. A used piece of equipment, even though it may be nice and perhaps even rare, is NOT worth the same or more than retailers asked for it 20 years ago. Common sense FTW.
Prices are on the rise for high end OS strictly due to a steady demand and less and less supply. Regardless of who is selling the gear, if the price is too high for demand, it won't sell plain and simple.

In the case of hurricane, this is not his primary source of income, enjoys hoarding and therefor is only half motivated to sell hence the ridiculous prices.

He hasnt moved any of his bnib US Amps stock in over 2 years. Yet it still sits there, why? Because he can and it doesn't matter because I won't buy it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
will. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by will. View Post
Prices are on the rise for high end OS strictly due to a steady demand and less and less supply. Regardless of who is selling the gear, if the price is too high for demand, it won't sell plain and simple.
I don't know, I haven't seen a significant drop in the amount of old PPI amps that pop up on eBay. But, for other manufacturers there may be something in what you say. I just don't notice the stuff I am not interested in I guess.

I wasn't specifically calling out any eBay retailer but, rather the market as a whole. If someone wants to collect a hoard of old gear then, by all means they should do so. But, the continually skyrocketing prices are beginning to "price out" some would-be enthusiasts who would like to just pick up a few nice old pieces.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 KillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enough

I bought 5 BNIB Coustic BassPumps from him. They were delivered in a timely manner, condition as stated & for the agreed price. That is all I want from a seller.

It is up to Buyer (me) to agree to pay his price or not, just like it is with stuff being produced today.

So I am glad there are people like him finding this old school stuff & saving it! I know that I don't have time to drive all over looking for it!
KillerBox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBox For This Useful Post:
High Resolution Audio (2 Weeks Ago), Sleeves (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 249 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Resolution Audio View Post
All I can say is thank God for this guy. I've purchased several things from him.

Including my Old School BNIB MB Quart Discus 15" subs, that I just installed in the Time Machine.

Best Subs I have ever heard in my life.
They did sound good and was shocked when I looked up and saw what they were. I assume those are from before the Maxxonics buyout?

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 24 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
I bought 5 BNIB Coustic BassPumps from him. They were delivered in a timely manner, condition as stated & for the agreed price. That is all I want from a seller.

It is up to Buyer (me) to agree to pay his price or not, just like it is with stuff being produced today.

So I am glad there are people like him finding this old school stuff & saving it! I know that I don't have time to drive all over looking for it!
Werd. And seriously - who else has this kinda stuff BNIB? Let alone five?

I personally found most of the prices to be quite reasonable. Some are inflated yes, but for BNIB stuff as rare as some of it is, there are some bargains there too.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

There is shop around here that has a ton of NIB late 90s Memphis, and PG stuff. But they want late 90s retail for it. I don't think he really wanted to sell it. He wanted $450 for a orange basket mojo 12. It wasn't the big one either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement