Legends of Car Audio ebay store - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 49 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Legends of Car Audio ebay store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
They did sound good and was shocked when I looked up and saw what they were. I assume those are from before the Maxxonics buyout?
They are from way back......Just did a re-tune for center seat. Just realized there was a gap between the mid-bass and subs. I had no 40-50. The Quarts play from 50 down now. Van has a nice punch now.

I didn't get to sit in your ride this time around. Hopefully at the next event.

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 stickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
I disagree. In recent years I've seen prices for PPI amps (just an example) skyrocket and I believe much of it is because of an artificially induced frenzy. Primarily by sellers on eBay continually listing gear at higher and higher prices. I know there are circumstances unique to each item being listed but, an average or "neighborhood" price isn't hard to figure. So, if an amp that was selling for a BIN of $125 three or four years ago now has an asking price of $225-$250, what happened?

My opinion is that there are quite a few more "flippers" and "basement retailers" around now that are trying to make a living off of the car audio collector hobby. A few years ago they saw an old amp in very average condition sell for $125 and they say to themselves "I can go to yard sales and flea markets, buy up all this old gear and jack up the price and make bank."

Only, we all know making $30-$40 profit on each piece soon isn't enough and therefore the prices start to go up. That isn't supply and demand ruling the market.

I don't call myself a collector as I actually only have maybe 25-30 pieces. But, some are very rare and most are in extremely nice condition. Most all of them cost me a fair price. When I say "fair" I mean a fair price for 20-25 year old equipment that even though it says "Made In The USA", is in all likelihood inferior to comparable modern gear made in some far off land.

Finally, I would advise shoppers to learn to walk away from prices that are just thru the roof. A used piece of equipment, even though it may be nice and perhaps even rare, is NOT worth the same or more than retailers asked for it 20 years ago. Common sense FTW.

Two things happened: inflation ( the dollar is literally worth less than 1/3rd of what it was worth back in 1995 ), and again supply and demand. If dealers who still carry the gear are listing at higher prices, and the market dictates that they can sell at those higher prices, then that's exactly what the amp is worth in the marketplace.

This 'artificially induced frenzy' that you speak of doesn't exist. All the 'basement retailers' didn't get together and have a convention about colluding and jacking up the price on old school gear. This isn't the Fed releasing paper short sales for Gold or Silver into the marketplace to drive up or down the price of commodities, its audio gear bro. Again just simple economics at play here: supply, and demand.

Additionally, you are talking about used equipment. The listing I posted was mostly NOS gear ( New Old Stock), which carries a higher value than good condition used equipment.

Again, supply and demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stickpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 will. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
Two things happened: inflation ( the dollar is literally worth less than 1/3rd of what it was worth back in 1995 ), and again supply and demand. If dealers who still carry the gear are listing at higher prices, and the market dictates that they can sell at those higher prices, then that's exactly what the amp is worth in the marketplace.

This 'artificially induced frenzy' that you speak of doesn't exist. All the 'basement retailers' didn't get together and have a convention about colluding and jacking up the price on old school gear. This isn't the Fed releasing paper short sales for Gold or Silver into the marketplace to drive up or down the price of commodities, its audio gear bro. Again just simple economics at play here: supply, and demand.

Additionally, you are talking about used equipment. The listing I posted was mostly NOS gear ( New Old Stock), which carries a higher value than good condition used equipment.

Well put. No such thing as inflated prices by design.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
will. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Who said anything about colluding?
I'm talking about everyone from the basshead kid who casually lurks on Car Audio forums or even cruises eBay to the casual enthusiast, to the guys who try to make a living selling old school gear. They ALL exist and they have all contributed to the rising price of older gear. Of course they aren't working together but, they all see $$$ in old gear.
Maybe they see an old amp in a pawn shop or their dad has some pieces stashed in a garage, whatever the scenario guys see it as a chance to make some money. OK, that's fine but, don't double the price of your Zed-made Hifonics because you saw a few sell on an auction site.
Perception becomes reality. If a old RF amp is perceived to be worth twice what it was 6 months ago then that is what the new going rate will become.

There is no shortage of old school gear. There is plenty of it everywhere. Is it all NOS? Of course not and as I said if people can get ridiculous prices for 25 year old gear then more power to them. But, unless it's a PPI 2500F1 or something along the lines of super exotic then I think there is a limit on its value. In the last 6-12 months I have seen some ridiculous prices start showing up. $1000+ for a set of used (but, in good shape) PPI A600.2 amps??? Come on! We're talking about 25 year old technology. For just a bit more you can buy new Brax/Helix/Audison/Tru Technology gear that is all of superior quality, more efficient and smaller in footprint.

You don't see the artificially induced frenzy then, fine that OK. But, I got into car audio in the mid-eighties. I remember what stuff cost back then and we are getting darn close to those prices again. In some cases even surpassing them. That's just not good common sense and it's being helped along by some (maybe not everyone) who are in it solely for a profit. And I'm all for profit but, it does come at the expense of widening the hobby.
And now we are seeing more and more unscrupulous sellers trying to make quick cash grabs. Don't tell me people aren't seeing these rising prices as an opportunity to grab some cash...and the more they can grab the better. So, there's another contributing factor in the ever-inflating prices.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 stickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished roadstickpony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
Who said anything about colluding?
I'm talking about everyone from the basshead kid who casually lurks on Car Audio forums or even cruises eBay to the casual enthusiast, to the guys who try to make a living selling old school gear. They ALL exist and they have all contributed to the rising price of older gear. Of course they aren't working together but, they all see $$$ in old gear.
Maybe they see an old amp in a pawn shop or their dad has some pieces stashed in a garage, whatever the scenario guys see it as a chance to make some money. OK, that's fine but, don't double the price of your Zed-made Hifonics because you saw a few sell on an auction site.
Perception becomes reality. If a old RF amp is perceived to be worth twice what it was 6 months ago then that is what the new going rate will become.

There is no shortage of old school gear. There is plenty of it everywhere. Is it all NOS? Of course not and as I said if people can get ridiculous prices for 25 year old gear then more power to them. But, unless it's a PPI 2500F1 or something along the lines of super exotic then I think there is a limit on its value. In the last 6-12 months I have seen some ridiculous prices start showing up. $1000+ for a set of used (but, in good shape) PPI A600.2 amps??? Come on! We're talking about 25 year old technology. For just a bit more you can buy new Brax/Helix/Audison/Tru Technology gear that is all of superior quality, more efficient and smaller in footprint.

You don't see the artificially induced frenzy then, fine that OK. But, I got into car audio in the mid-eighties. I remember what stuff cost back then and we are getting darn close to those prices again. In some cases even surpassing them. That's just not good common sense and it's being helped along by some (maybe not everyone) who are in it solely for a profit. And I'm all for profit but, it does come at the expense of widening the hobby.
And now we are seeing more and more unscrupulous sellers trying to make quick cash grabs. Don't tell me people aren't seeing these rising prices as an opportunity to grab some cash...and the more they can grab the better. So, there's another contributing factor in the ever-inflating prices.
You just described supply and demand. just because someone lists something at a price doesnt mean its going to sell. the market is self-correcting.

additionally, you are completely overlooking inflation. perfect example: Gas prices today are more than double what they were back in the 80's, BUT, the value of the dollar in relation to Gold and Silver is literally 1/3rd of what it was in the 80's, so that gallon of gas you buy at $2.25/gal is CHEAPER than the gallon of gas you bought in 1988 at $0.95/ gal, when you adjust the value of the dollar for inflation.

Likewise, a $300 amp is no longer a $300 amp.. if you are comparing it to 1980's prices, and adjust for inflation, that's really only $100 amp, in 1980's money.

So lets say you see this nice NOS amp that you want, and a seller lists it at $300, but the original sale price back in 1988 was only $200. if you adjust that 1988 price for inflation, that $200 would actually be $600 in today's money, so that NOS amp is actually half off, after you adjust for inflation

you are thinking very one-dimensionally, and need to adjust your thinking. With the exception of a small handful of extremely rare items the guy is asking too much for, everything els ein that store is very well priced, IMO. Granted, if you aren't making 3 times as much money than you were in 1980, i can see why you would have room to complain, but thats really not the case. salaries have gone up... waaaay up in fact, with inflation, in most industries.

we can argue till the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is that basic economic principles disagree with what you are saying.

just my humble Opinion
stickpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You just described supply and demand. just because someone lists something at a price doesnt mean its going to sell. the market is self-correcting.

additionally, you are completely overlooking inflation. perfect example: Gas prices today are more than double what they were back in the 80's, BUT, the value of the dollar in relation to Gold and Silver is literally 1/3rd of what it was in the 80's, so that gallon of gas you buy at $2.25/gal is CHEAPER than the gallon of gas you bought in 1988 at $0.95/ gal, when you adjust the value of the dollar for inflation.

Likewise, a $300 amp is no longer a $300 amp.. if you are comparing it to 1980's prices, and adjust for inflation, that's really only $100 amp, in 1980's money.

So lets say you see this nice NOS amp that you want, and a seller lists it at $300, but the original sale price back in 1988 was only $200. if you adjust that 1988 price for inflation, that $200 would actually be $600 in today's money, so that NOS amp is actually half off, after you adjust for inflation

you are thinking very one-dimensionally, and need to adjust your thinking. With the exception of a small handful of extremely rare items the guy is asking too much for, everything els ein that store is very well priced, IMO. Granted, if you aren't making 3 times as much money than you were in 1980, i can see why you would have room to complain, but thats really not the case. salaries have gone up... waaaay up in fact, with inflation, in most industries.

we can argue till the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is that basic economic principles disagree with what you are saying.

just my humble Opinion
Uh, I think it might be you that should "adjust your thinking". Ever heard of depreciation? As I have said repeatedly, technology changes and becomes obsolete. It's OK to have a soft spot for this old gear and I'll be the first to admit I do. But, I just looked at an auction on eBay for a NOS Sony CDX-R79 in dash (pull out) CD player where the BIN price is $799. That deck was clearance out by Crutchfield in 1988 or '89 for around $200. Ask me how I know that. Yep, I bought one and even competed with it for a year or two. It performed really well until you started the car and ran over a crack in the pavement. You can't tell me that is supply and demand. Seller probably found it at an estate sale and posted it with that crazy price hoping to find some idiot who would actually pay it. BTW, I have one just like it sitting in my basement (not NOS but, nice) that I'll take half that price for.
Just one example but, others are easily found.

Bottomline is just because something sold for $200 in 1988 doesn't mean it automatically quadruples in value over time. It certainly shouldn't double in a 12 month time frame.
There are still reasonable sellers out there if you take some time and know where to look. Those people realize that we are dealing with 25 year old technology and that much better options are available today. Many are in the hobby for nostalgia and are OK with making a few dollars for their time and trouble but, are fair and have no interest in gouging fellow enthusiasts.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. Experience tells me I'm right and that's good enough for me. No ill will intended friend.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 SHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enough

You guys think O/S audio gear is pricey, try buying any original '32 Ford parts!
You'd think they were made of 24k.

"I've spent half my money on gambling, wiskey, and wild women...... I wasted the rest."
SHAGGS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SHAGGS For This Useful Post:
Dubstep (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 Dubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished roadDubstep is on a distinguished road

In the last 3 months or so, heres what I sold on FB.. Prices are definitely on the rise..

Bnib alpine 3558, $950
used alipne 3558 $650 (mint)
chrome shrouded PG ms2250 $1100 or $1300 I forget...(mint)
recapped PG ZPA .5 $650 x 2 (mint)
recapped PG ZPA .3 $450 (mint)
Bnib white PG ZPX2 $350
used black PG ZPX2 $275
used mint PG 2250 shroud $300
Dubstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

Brad is a good dude. If you don't like his price hit him up and discuss it with him. He is super reasonable and def an audio guy.

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian_smith06 For This Useful Post:
Dubstep (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #60

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 124 delerium168 will become famous soon enoughdelerium168 will become famous soon enoughdelerium168 will become famous soon enoughdelerium168 will become famous soon enoughdelerium168 will become famous soon enoughdelerium168 will become famous soon enough

I agree..Brad is great and trustworthy guy to deal with..been doing business with him for about 2 years now.
He stands 100% behind his stuff and service.
delerium168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #61

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 15 geshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by delerium168 View Post
I agree..Brad is great and trustworthy guy to deal with..been doing business with him for about 2 years now.
He stands 100% behind his stuff and service.
He also sits with it too!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

07 Impala LTZ Alpine PXE-h650
Dayton Audio ND25FW-4 Aura Sound NS3
amps subwoofer
geshat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement