Autotek 99 - Strange repair by previous owner - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Wachu will become famous soon enoughWachu will become famous soon enoughWachu will become famous soon enoughWachu will become famous soon enoughWachu will become famous soon enoughWachu will become famous soon enough

Default Autotek 99 - Strange repair by previous owner

Hi guys. At first i must admit that English is not my native language. I know its not at good level, but i hope you can understand what i mean.

I recently bought an Autotek 99 car amplifier, made by Zed Audio 1994.
(The PCB board tell us its Revision C which i cant find on google image)

It cost me 25$. I saw that couple of them was sold on this forum for 100$+, so i thought it was a good price. Seller told me that he is not first owner and he dont know if the amp was repaired, but its fully working. I bought it without asking for photos of inside, just to not waste time (someone else may take it in any moment)

I connected an amp when it arrives. both of two channels works identically, there is no crappy sound or distortions (i only tried to playin at 2/10 of volume, but i hope thats enought to say its working correctly)

When i opened it i did sad face, because it was repaired by someone.

1. Somebody added a capacitor (Nichicon 3300uF 35v). It's probably connected between B+ (12v) input signal and this small black diode.

2. The coil is also smeared with silicon (maybe to reduce the noise of coil?)

3. Im not 100% sure, but also some of the left side transistors looks like they was resoldered (i cant look closer, cause i dont know how to remove those black clips between the transistors and metal. They are very strong and i won't to break anything.)

Questions:

Can you explain what somebody wanted to achieve by adding this one more capacitor?

I have a chance to replace this Autotek for used Boston Acoustics GTA802, fully working in a good condition. Shall i do it? Im looking for strong mono/2channel amp for my rockford fosgate sub. Which of those two will be better?

If you need additional informations or photos, just tell me. I would really appreciate your help. I'm starting my journey with Car Audio.

More photos:

Last edited by Wachu; 04-21-2017 at 07:33 PM..
Wachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 49 HardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enoughHardCoreDore will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Autotek 99 - Strange repair by previous owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachu View Post
Hi guys. At first i must admit that English is not my native language. I know its not at good level, but i hope you can understand what i mean.

I recently bought an Autotek 99 car amplifier, made by Zed Audio 1994.
(The PCB board tell us its Revision C which i cant find on google image)

It cost me 25$. I saw that couple of them was sold on this forum for 100$+, so i thought it was a good price. Seller told me that he is not first owner and he dont know if the amp was repaired, but its fully working. I bought it without asking for photos of inside, just to not waste time (someone else may take it in any moment)

I connected an amp when it arrives. both of two channels works identically, there is no crappy sound or distortions (i only tried to playin at 2/10 of volume, but i hope thats enought to say its working correctly)

When i opened it i did sad face, because it was repaired by someone.

1. Somebody added a capacitor (Nichicon 3300uF 35v). It's probably connected between B+ (12v) input signal and this small black diode.

2. The coil is also smeared with silicon (maybe to reduce the noise of coil?)

3. Im not 100% sure, but also some of the left side transistors looks like they was resoldered (i cant look closer, cause i dont know how to remove those black clips between the transistors and metal. They are very strong and i won't to break anything.)

Questions:

Can you explain what somebody wanted to achieve by adding this one more capacitor?

I have a chance to replace this Autotek for used Boston Acoustics GTA802, fully working in a good condition. Shall i do it? Im looking for strong mono/2channel amp for my rockford fosgate sub. Which of those two will be better?

If you need additional informations or photos, just tell me. I would really appreciate your help. I'm starting my journey with Car Audio.

More photos:

Sorry no one responded t your post. I'm not a tech, but it looks to me as if the board had caught on fire and melted the contacts beneath the added capacitor. Whoever "Jerry-Rigged" this repair essentially covered the board in solder and used the capacitor itself to make a connection.

As far as the silicon on the transformer, that's normal. I wouldn't worry about that.

I wouldn't use this amplifier. It's not safe as amps get very hot when playing loud and this repair is temporary at best. It will likely catch on fire again. Just my opinion. If you trade it someone else may have it catch on fire in their car.

Again, this is just my opinion. There are experienced techs on this board that know A LOT more than I do as I'm just a hobbyist. However no one responded, so...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by HardCoreDore; 1 Week Ago at 10:22 AM..
HardCoreDore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement