LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 vwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enough

Default How do you find the cubic ft. in an odd shape?

I am planning on building an subwoofer box for my wifes car but I want to conceal it. It is going in a Saturn Vue under the rear floor by the rear tire. I want to keep the spare tire and build around it. (there is plenty of room) I want it to go about a quarter of the way around it. What I was planning on doing is making a mold out of Pink Rigid Foam Insulation and then fiberglassing around it. But my question is how do I find out the the cubic ft of the inclousere with it being odd shaped?

Thanks
Justind
vwguy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Recovering Ampoholic

Rep Power: 78 SoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to SoundJunkie

Mock up your mold, fill it with styrofoam peanuts then empty the peanuts into a known enclosure volume to check it. Not scientific by any means but gets you close.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

New ride - 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid - rockin the stock shit.....for now
2013 USACi Super Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (retired)
2011 USACi Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Team Focal
Team Audionutz South
SoundJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 101 TrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to allTrickyRicky is a name known to all

Default Re: How do you find the cubic ft. in an odd shape?

Using formulas from middle school, lol. They have formulas to find volume for any shape (circles, spheres, cylinders, squares, triangles, ect). Atleast this way all you need is measurements and a calculator. Plus if you have measurements already you wont have to lift your rear from the seat, and do it from your desk, lol.

"I inhaled frequently, that was the point."
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MIK3CT will become famous soon enoughMIK3CT will become famous soon enoughMIK3CT will become famous soon enoughMIK3CT will become famous soon enoughMIK3CT will become famous soon enoughMIK3CT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwguy383 View Post
I am planning on building an subwoofer box for my wifes car but I want to conceal it. It is going in a Saturn Vue under the rear floor by the rear tire. I want to keep the spare tire and build around it. (there is plenty of room) I want it to go about a quarter of the way around it. What I was planning on doing is making a mold out of Pink Rigid Foam Insulation and then fiberglassing around it. But my question is how do I find out the the cubic ft of the inclousere with it being odd shaped?

Thanks
Justind
Check out this link:
Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators
MIK3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 68 yuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks
Justind
fill it with water , 1 Imperial pint = 0.0200679649 cubic feet
its a great way to check if it leaks as well ........

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 69 vwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enough

I have heard about the packing peanuts idea. The shape of the box is going to be L shaped with a rounded part that will be by the tire. The other question I had was how do I mount a subwoofer to it? Do I need to put a round piece of wood in it so I can screw the sub too it or will the fiberglass be enough? Also will it effect the sound if I down fire it with a rectangle shaped port out the side? kind of like the some of the JL stealth boxs that go under truck seats?

Thanks
Justind
Old 04-21-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 176 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

I would not use water as a medium to determine volume. Say you have a leak around the MDF baffle that will likely be used. It is now not only a leak but also a swollen ruined area on the box.
t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 146 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Sand is the best and most accurate way.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Kenwood X4R - ESB KT6.28 - ID XS69 - Zapco Ref 500.1 -Ground Zero Hydrogen 8"
tyroneshoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough

Mock it up as best you can using a giant cardboard template. Then, if you have to, carve it back up into geometric shapes you can find the volume of. Somebody else had the excellent idea of using plain popcorn in place of the packing peanuts.
9mmmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Recovering Ampoholic

Rep Power: 78 SoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura aboutSoundJunkie has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to SoundJunkie

Quote:
I have heard about the packing peanuts idea. The shape of the box is going to be L shaped with a rounded part that will be by the tire. The other question I had was how do I mount a subwoofer to it? Do I need to put a round piece of wood in it so I can screw the sub too it or will the fiberglass be enough? Also will it effect the sound if I down fire it with a rectangle shaped port out the side? kind of like the some of the JL stealth boxs that go under truck seats?

Thanks
Justind
The enclosure needs to be as rigid as possible to resist flexing and you need a solid, flush mounting surface. Dependent upon the physical weight of the driver and its excursion capabilities you should start with a minimum of 1/2" MDF; the thicker the better. Up or down firing you will have to play with together with phasing to see which works best in your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

New ride - 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid - rockin the stock shit.....for now
2013 USACi Super Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (retired)
2011 USACi Modified Q Champion 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Team Focal
Team Audionutz South
SoundJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 110 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

build the enclosure and then use the packing peanuts. if you have too much airspace then fill some in with expanding foam or blocks of 2x4. if you have too little use polyfill.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #12

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 68 yuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enoughyuri will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
I would not use water as a medium to determine volume. Say you have a leak around the MDF baffle that will likely be used. It is now not only a leak but also a swollen ruined area on the box.
the op said he was making it with ridge foam and fiberglass .. but even if uses an mdf baffle ,its easy to coat it with some resin to prevent water penetrating into the mdf .
sand ,peanuts etc wont find small leaks

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

Thanks guys for all of the info!! There have been some great ideas. If anyone else has any more ideas bring it on!

Thanks
Justind
Old 04-21-2011   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 JasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enough

The standard polyester resin used for fiberglass will dissolve styrofoam almost instantly, not sure if this applies to the pink styrofoam as well but you might want to keep that in mind.

Jason
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

I thought you could use some type of resin that didn't dissolve it? And then when your finished you can pour I think acetone in the box and it will melt the pink styrofoam? I will have to look into that. My bro in law went to school for an engineering degree in composite materials and I'll have to ask him again about the process.

Thanks
Justind
Old 04-21-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 JasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enoughJasonB will become famous soon enough

I believe epoxy resin won't eat styrofoam.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #17

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 Brian10962001 will become famous soon enoughBrian10962001 will become famous soon enoughBrian10962001 will become famous soon enoughBrian10962001 will become famous soon enoughBrian10962001 will become famous soon enoughBrian10962001 will become famous soon enough

Peanuts, OR, make it, play it, don't like it, reduce it or stuff it.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote