LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 Tegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enough

Default MDF vs Pressboard?

How can you tell the difference between MDF and Pressboard? I have a guy says he's selling pressboard and I asked him and he said it was MDF. It's a good price but I don't know how to tell the difference.
Tegguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 101 miniSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MDF vs Pressboard?

Here is a picture of MDF vs particle board...MDF on top...stay away from particle board.

pressboard??? not sure that is a real word, but it could be a regional thing.

do a google image search for mdf...its pretty easy to tell. Or stop by your local Home depot....

but here is a link:

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/MDF/mdf.gif

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
PHASS MD780/DTM25
(2) HAT Clarus C10's
HelixDSP
JL Audio 300/4v2 & 500/1v2
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 124 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Particle board or presswood

Wiki says:
Particleboard is cheaper, denser and more uniform than conventional wood and plywood and is substituted for them when appearance and strength are less important than cost. However, particleboard can be made more attractive by painting or the use of wood veneers that are glued onto surfaces that will be visible. Though it is denser than conventional wood, it is the lightest and weakest type of fiberboard, except for insulation board. Medium-density fibreboard and hardboard, also called high-density fiberboard, are stronger and denser than particleboard. Different grades of particleboard have different densities, with higher density connoting greater strength and greater resistance to failure of screw fasteners.
A major disadvantage of particleboard is that it is very prone to expansion and discoloration due to moisture, particularly when it is not covered with paint or another sealer. Therefore, it is rarely used outdoors or places that have high levels of moisture, with the exception of some bathrooms, kitchens and laundries, where it is commonly used as an underlayment beneath a continuous sheet of vinyl flooring. It does, however, have some advantages when it comes to constructing the cabinet box and shelves. For example, it is well suited for attaching cabinet door hinges to the sides of frameless cabinets. Plywood has the potential to feather off in sheaves when extreme weight is placed on the hinges. In contrast, particle board holds the screws in place under similar weight.[1] Additionally, particleboard is favored for cabinet shelves that need to span a long width (30"or more) since it will not bow under the weight like plywood.
[edit]History and development

Last edited by IBcivic; 09-10-2012 at 06:37 PM..
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 Tegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enoughTegguy92 will become famous soon enough

Thanks that pic helps a lot from the small image I have seen of it it looks like MDF

Here is an image I have

Thanks IBCivic I read that but it doesn't help me visually tell the difference
Old 09-10-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 101 miniSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegguy92 View Post
Thanks that pic helps a lot from the small image I have seen of it it looks like MDF

Here is an image I have

Thanks IBCivic I read that but it doesn't help me visually tell the difference
that picture looks like sub flooring..which is not MDF, but the sheets show some difference that might mean some could be MDF...but the front pieces do not appear to be MDF.

anything coated with white...is melamine....and that is for sure particle board.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
PHASS MD780/DTM25
(2) HAT Clarus C10's
HelixDSP
Old 09-10-2012   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
that picture looks like sub flooring..which is not MDF, but the sheets show some difference that might mean some could be MDF...but the front pieces do not appear to be MDF.

anything coated with white...is melamine....and that is for sure particle board.
The front sheet is OSB. I did notice a couple coated sheets but the rest looked like MDF. I figure at 5 bucks a sheet it's worth a drive
Old 09-10-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegguy92 View Post
The front sheet is OSB. I did notice a couple coated sheets but the rest looked like MDF. I figure at 5 bucks a sheet it's worth a drive

i can't imagine why there would be MDF on a job site...but whatever it is its worth $5 bucks a sheet

Good Luck!!

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
PHASS MD780/DTM25
(2) HAT Clarus C10's
HelixDSP
Old 09-17-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 139 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
i can't imagine why there would be MDF on a job site...but whatever it is its worth $5 bucks a sheet

Good Luck!!
It's mainly used for custom cabinets since it's easier on saw blades.

Also the guy referring to the MDF as Pressboard isn't completely wrong since MDF is a type of pressed wood product.

I could easily see an oldschool guy referring to MDF as pressboard since many of the older gentlemen at the wood supply house back in 1991ish I used to buy my MDF from didn't make much distinction between MDF and particleboard.

They were used to working with real wood so to them it was all garbage.....it was only the more knowledgable guys that knew exactly what it was.

While the composition of MDF is different to that of OSB and partcleboard they are all pressed products.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 customtronic will become famous soon enoughcustomtronic will become famous soon enoughcustomtronic will become famous soon enoughcustomtronic will become famous soon enoughcustomtronic will become famous soon enoughcustomtronic will become famous soon enough

At $5 a sheet I would definately drive over and give it a look unless it's way out of the way. I'd buy every sheet of MDF at that price!

'05 Magnum RT Panny B-tube HU|Zapco|HAT
customtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 jhsellers will become famous soon enoughjhsellers will become famous soon enoughjhsellers will become famous soon enoughjhsellers will become famous soon enoughjhsellers will become famous soon enoughjhsellers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasSman View Post
While the composition of MDF is different to that of OSB and partcleboard they are all pressed products.
As is plywood - all wood panel products are formed and pressed in the manufacturing process. (it's a really BIG press...)

John
jhsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 36 bigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished roadbigfastmike is on a distinguished road

Mdf is like taking fine sawdust, mixing with glue and pressing into dense panels. Particle is like taking coarse sawdust or even chips and glue pressed together. It is flaky and brittle. The vibrations will break up the material.

2012 toyota 4runner, Alpine 920hd hu
Audible psychics NZ3, JL zr800, Hertz coax rear, Massive bit nano amps, sIndian SA-8 v2, Audison bit one
bigfastmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 139 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsellers View Post
As is plywood - all wood panel products are formed and pressed in the manufacturing process. (it's a really BIG press...)

John
Well yes except if it's void free ply they're thin wood veneers while the MDF and other wood composites have anything from fine wood dust(MDF) to small chips of wood(particle board) to rather large pieces of wood(OSB).

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote